• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Baby Milo

So I guess any low tempo beat is elevator music now.

anything under 128
tumblr_m2s58kk6eo1qk0ss6o1_400.gif

JK

This album is a masterpiece. So beautiful, so well crafted. Release day, oh man.

Give Life Back to Music (hell yes Niles), Giorgio by Moroder, Instant Crush, Touch, Beyond, Motherboard, Fragments of Time, Doin' it Right, Contact (epic space symphony, fast and heavy, holy shit), all so amazing! YES!

RAM is hella layered. Impossible to absorb in one day. Probably won't really crack it for a few weeks. Then it will wash over me like a million penises

DJ88

Been listening to all the songs a few times through out the day and it's become clear to me that Touch is the absolute stand out track for me. The thing is I hate the vocals at the beginning so much, but the rest is so haunting and beautiful, it almost makes me cry with happiness. That part at 5:45 is the peak of the album to me.

I always loved the section in Superheroes from Discovery where the synth sounds like it's on an arpeggiator. 5:45 on Touch instantly reminded me of it, then the choir comes back in and the wave of sounds hitting you all at once, it's fucking spectacular. There's a lot of tracks off this album I feel are way better dance tracks that are made for parties or clubs. Touch would never work at a party or club, but on it's own as a piece of music, simply sublime.

jett

D-Member
Now that I think about it this is almost like a new beginning for Daft Punk. I hope they continue to explore the sounds and ideas of RAM in the future.

So I guess any low tempo beat is elevator music now.

where the drop at, yo

Some people can't handle chill, laid back music.

I thought Beyond was fine, I mean it's not my favorite song from the album. It reminds me of I Keep Forgettin' by Michael McDonald.

YES!!!! i'm listening to it right now and thinking the same thing. for those that aren't familiar with that song, it's also the sample for warren g's "regulate."

Baby Milo

"Fragment of Time"-sounds like the intro to a sitcom show from the 80's

"Doin it right"-billions of remixes. I fucks with it though

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the live instrumentation is what makes this album. gives it such a clean sound that is unheard of nowadays in electronic music, whats with that dubstep garbage.

Chucker

So, there is a story to the album right? I'm not crazy in thinking that it starts off sad, the robots get rejected, it gets disco-y and happy "You've almost convinced me I'm real", Get Lucky happens and then it starts to get spacey, Contact is when they leave earth.

Or am I just completely off the mark?

Davidion

First listen: Give Life Back is somewhat like Get Lucky; taps into disco heavily but is pretty tame and non-offensive. Game of Love is totally elevator music, tribute to the typical 80's love ballads, it seems.

Giorgio is the standout thus far, without too much surprise.

where the drop at, yo

I'm convinced it's the people who can't tell it's elevator music who are the ones who don't know anything about laid back music.

I mean, seriously?

So, there is a story to the album right? I'm not crazy in thinking that it starts off sad, the robots get rejected, it gets disco-y and happy "You've almost convinced me I'm real", Get Lucky happens and then it starts to get spacey, Contact is when they leave earth.

Could be; most albums that are anything above decent have some vague narrative.

Blizzard

Banned
How are people listening to this? The OP says it's not out anywhere worldwide until the 17th. :(

*edit* Facebook says that the album was leaked and iTunes is playing damage control by streaming it? I'm sad it was leaked.

IceCold

Now that I think about it this is almost like a new beginning for Daft Punk. I hope they continue to explore the sounds and ideas of RAM in the future.

where the drop at, yo

I don't go by the name IceCold for nothin' man.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

I saw it as as build up on the origins of the music, getting into the poppy youth of disco and culminating in the full blown adulthood of what disco became.

then contact explodes and takes us into the future. Wherever that is after this album.

Chucker

How are people listening to this? The OP says it's not out anywhere worldwide until the 17th. :(

*edit* Facebook says that the album was leaked and iTunes is playing damage control by streaming it? I'm sad it was leaked.

AFAIK it was always meant to stream today on iTunes, artists do that nowadays.

DominoKid

I like drake. He is not running hip hop currently though. If anything Future is running hip-hop if you go by radio plays.

Kendrick if you go by internet hype.

i'm probably the biggest Future fan on GAF, and while he's on everything right now, i wouldn't say he's running anything. that could all change w/ his next album though.

First listen
- 'Within' is pointless, can be removed
- The vocals on 'Touch' are bad, the choir bit and the instruments redeem it
- 'Fragments of Time' is just terrible all round. The vocalist is cheesy, by far the worst track of the album

I'd skip all of those when I listen to it. (I think 'Touch' will grow on me though)

The rest of the album is flawless. Favourites are; 'Game of Love', 'Instant Crush', 'Lose yourself to Dance', 'Get Lucky', 'Beyond' and 'Contact'.

I'd love 'Giorgio' more if it was a bit shorter, cut out the talking at the opening - and 'Motherboard' if it had some robots!

jett

D-Member
I'm convinced it's the people who can't tell it's elevator music who are the ones who don't know anything about laid back music.

I mean, seriously?

Whatever you say mayne.

Chucker said:

There might be a story here but it's pretty subtle if so.

MattDoza

Where is that guy. This album couldn't be further from "entry level". The schism in this thread pretty much embodies how this is nothing like modern EDM.

You've had an exchange or two with him lol. You just didn't recognize him because he's not sporting the Cena avatar anymore.

I saw it as as build up on the origins of the music, getting into the poppy youth of disco and culminating in the full blown adulthood of what disco became.

then contact explodes and takes us into the future. Wherever that is after this album.
Yah the Giorgio voice over kind of lays it out. He says he wanted to have an album that did a bit of this and a bit of that with a sample of the future

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
i'm probably the biggest Future fan on GAF, and while he's on everything right now, i wouldn't say he's running anything. that could all change w/ his next album though.
Whatever the case may be drake is not running things currently. His singles are not dominating the radio.

Blizzard

Banned
The only song I've heard so far from the streams is Contact. I liked half of it, probably because it was mostly instrumental, but unfortunately the screaming noise in the second half is pretty unpleasant. :(

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
damn Giorgio is one of my least liked tracks

I think Lose Yourself is my favorite track which is weird because I don't like Pharrel on Get Lucky

I love the progression from smooth jazz a la steely dan to that classic disco sound, then breaking down midway and exploding into this 80s-90s hip hop finale. Though Giorgio's overlaid vocal track kinda kills it for me. It's very neat in this sort of retrospective way, but it weakens my will to listen to it repeatedly on its own.

grkazan12

Nailed it, such a great post man. I love how every Daft Punk album has a theme and they always strive to achieve the sound of that theme. Look at Discovery and how a good portion of it was inspired by childhood and the lightheartedness of anime.

Davidion

damn Giorgio is one of my least liked tracks

I think Lose Yourself is my favorite track which is weird because I don't like Pharrel on Get Lucky

Unless Get Lucky has something particularly new added, Lose Yourself is better by miles.

Within and Instand Crush were also surprisingly good. Giorgio doesn't really seem like the contender for best track on the album anymore.

cdyhybrid

Contact's constant build up really leaves you with blue balls if you're expecting some crazy payoff at the end, but it's really perfectly designed to mirror a trip up to space, IMO.

When the rocket launches you start feeling the Gs, it gets hard to breathe, you're trying to hold your lunch down in your stomach, you're holding on to your seat for dear life. It just gets crazier and crazier, but once you exit the atmosphere and enter space...silence. You're just catching your breath.

That said, it will burn arenas down when they remix it and/or play it live.

Top Bottom