• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Artemisia

Banned
This album isn't as good as I expected. I think I like the new Demi Lovato album more. But this is still good!
smile.gif

Fjordson

I really like it from around the 4.30 mark onwards. Don't like Paul William's vocals at all, they sound really out of place in the song (and the album.) Pretty weird choice, I can see maybe why they did it but it doesn't really work for me.
Yeah, his vocals are really weird. His section sounds like a stage play scene or something :lol the song gets pretty interesting after that.

If instead of Pharrel, they got someone who could actually pull off a falsetto, like Prince.....

...then Lose Yourself would be new national anthem.
Damn, Prince would have been great. Pharrell doesn't sound that good to me either.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
listen to animal collective... definitely some heavy beach boys influence there.
Yeah, "Feels" is actually a term Brian Wilson used to describe his songs, too.

JABEE

I love Fragments of Time. Beautiful blend of synth and natural instruments, a little country twang on the end of their beats. Awesome song.

Touch and Motherboard are standouts for me. I love so many of them, it's hard to single out a specific track because to be honest I can't see myself ever listening to them outside of within the album's playthrough (the way it's meant to be listened to, in my opinion).

Really dig Doing it right. I may have to check out Animal Collective because I really like this guy's vocals.. Pharrell on the other hand, sounds pretty terrible in Lose Yourself to Dance. Luckily the robot voices are good in Lose yourself. He sounds good in Get Lucky though.

i have more problems with the moroder monologue than paul william's vocals. the latter make it sounds like a theater song and that's fine. plus it's great setup for that beautiful finale.

If I could edit the album, it would go something like this:
1. Give Life Back to Music - Keep it as it is, it's a great intro to the album
2. The Game of Love - same as above, it's amazing, I'm baffled this song doesn't get more love. Maybe it would be suited nearer the end of the album?
3. Giorgio by Moroder - cut out the first 2 minutes (of talking) I feel like that bit drags the song down, stops me from wanting to re-listen
4. Within - drop the whole song, it's pointless
5. Instant Crush - leave it as it is, it's super catchy
6. Lose Yourself to Dance - as above, it's a great track
7. Touch - remove all of Paul Williams hokey vocals, replace them with robots, it suffers like Giorgio does in that it doesn't lend itself well to constant re-listens
8. Get Lucky - great track, leave it alone
9. Beyond - super atmospheric, very accomplished sound, maybe it could be moved elsewhere in the album so it doesn't get lost?
10. Motherboard - this has some of the best sound of the album but needs some vocals to make it stick, otherwise it'll be forgotten - or maybe would make a good alternate intro?
11. Fragments of Time - Kill it with fire. It's trash, bin it.
12. Doin' it Right - cut out Panda Bear's harsh vocals and mix it up a bit, basically, replace it with the remix which is sure to blow the original out of the water
13. Contact - leave it as it is, perfect close - and I feel the most consistent of the longer tracks

Venomgxt

When i heard the album the first time i thought it was pretty great but i knew deep down i needed to get baked when i listen to it a second time, so i did. As i was listening to Contact i was so zoned out into the song, right after it finished the next song that played was One More Time from the Discovery album and for a few seconds i thought it was part of the same track, i had a rush of nostagia in my veins and IT BLEW MY FUCKING MIND!

I love almost every track on the album. Weakest for me at this point would have be Instant Crush and maybe Within.

I need more time to digest the album though; I used to find Emotion insufferable and now it's one of HAA's highlights for instance.

"Aggressive" is certainly not the word I'd ever expect to hear describing Panda Bear, least of all on Doin' it Right.

His vocals sound pretty coarse in contrast to the tinny sounds of the robots, it doesn't really fuse together very well - it sounds like two separate tracks plastered together.

2nd listen now, at home. this album greatly benefits from good headphones or speakers with good bass response. i missed a lot of lower frequency when listening at work. it's still not amazing, but it's better.

jett

D-Member
The gaf-hop listening party was really fun! Also made me realize that there's not a single song I don't like, even if I'm not big on the panda bear track. This really is a top notch release filled with creativity, ambition and passion. Nice robots indeed, too bad they went off in their spaceship at the end.

spectros4

Neo Member
I loooove Instant Crush.

Yup, I feel the same way. It seems people's favorites from this album are all over the place.
With Discovery, my favorites were Face to Face and Digital Love.
With the new album, my favorites are Instant Crush and Contact.

dafinezt

Banned
1:20 to 1:50 in Give life back to music out-funks the entire album

I do wish there was a bit more of that

This man knows what's up.

I also love 4:05 to 4:40 on Giorgio. I was hoping this album would be totally funked out. I mean it is but sometimes the genre blending is too much.

Top Bottom