• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

"Instant Crush- is the easy listening song of the year beating out Michael Buble

"Lose yourself to dance"-is cool

i wish they didn't autotune julian's voice. i get that it fits well with the rest of the album autotuned, but this would probably sound better just going without it.

Courage

Doubt it. Pitchfork has a huge feature article coming out tomorrow and P4K never does cover stories for albums they subsequently trash. I'm expecting a 9.0+ and BNM from them.

Haven't checked their site in a while, but if that's the case I withdraw my previous prediction.

amnesiac

Now that all of the initial hype is over and I have listened to it a few times, I will give my thoughts.

I can understand where all of the hate comes from. I really can. The album has been ridiculously overhyped for the past month or so and people were expecting something totally game-changing. What else were you to expect after all of those pretentious collaborator videos? Why did people originally like Daft Punk? For the sick samples and beats and what they were able to achieve with them. What happened on this album? They created a very diverse album spanning many different styles of music.

I love Giorgio By Moroder, Doin' It Right, and Contact. Giorgio is clearly one of the best songs Daft Punk has ever done. Unfortunately, Giorgio and Contact are the only songs that have a serious synth-break. I would've preferred more of that to the disco fueled music on a number of the other tracks.

Disco. It's the reason a lot of people dislike this album. Now obviously Daft Punk has been heavily influenced by disco in the past, but the Nile Rodgers guitar on some of the songs kind of proves that they are making "real" disco music.

For me, my least-liked tracks include Game of Love, Instant Crush, and Fragments of Time. I think Fragments of Time has a nice, catchy melody, but the whole song is just so... late 70s cheese rock. I guess Touch is alright, but I was left disappointed after seeing many people on this forum rave about the song.

I think one of my favorite aspects of this album is how well all the tracks work together. If you threw disco, progressive rock, and electronic music onto the same album, you wouldn't expect it to work very well. Daft Punk, however, made this happen. And it's wonderful. The best part of the album, in my opinion, is the production. It is fantastic, to say the least. The drums punch you in the face and the guitar makes your head spin. Listen to the phaser effect on the synth in Giorgio. Mmmm...

One last thought. Though not necessarily a bad thing, it seems to me that this album loses the "robot" attribute of Daft Punk. On Daft Punk's past efforts, the music complimented their outfits. On Random Access Memories, I don't see two robots creating this music.

jtb

Banned
RAM is ambitious, a bit bloated, and comes with a ridiculous amount of hipster cred and hype. Pitchfork will love it.

PBY

Banned
Why we talking about critics? The last time people gave a fuck about music critics was when

I love well written music reviews. I disagree with Pitchfork a lot, but I always feel that I learn something or that they challenge certain notions I had about music.

They aren't there to inform my purchases, but to expand my opinion of what I'm listening to.

Salsa

i wish they didn't autotune julian's voice. i get that it fits well with the rest of the album autotuned, but this would probably sound better just going without it.

I dont know. I like it. I also think that without that the track would just be like a fuckin Julian track that would fit right in on his solo works. Even with the album being different from other DP work I think Instant Crush is kinda the most different track of them all.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
After hearing the album and going back to the rollingstone interview it is very clear they were tired of their old direction(tired of the way EDM has been going in general). They wanted something new and fresh. They delivered something far different from their old works.

They began working on Random Access Memories in 2008, in Paris, with no clear plan. "After three records, there was a sense of searching for a record we hadn’t done," Thomas says. The duo were dissatisfied with early demos that leaned heavily on electronic equipment, feeling like they were operating on "autopilot," Thomas says. Eventually, a new approach emerged: "We wanted to do what we used to do with machines and samplers," he explains, "but with people." Except for a snippet of "an Australian rock record" that opens the final track, "Contact," Daft Punk foreswore samples entirely, and they limited the role of drum machines to just two of the album’s thirteen tracks.The only electronics come in the form of a massive, custom-built modular synthesizer that Daft Punk played live on the album, they told me, and an arsenal of vintage vocoders on which they manually manipulated factors like pitch, vibrato and legato. "There’s this thing today where the recorded human voice is processed to try to feel robotic," Thomas says, referring to the undying AutoTune vogue. "Here, we were trying to make robotic voices sound the most human they’ve ever sounded, in terms of expressivity and emotion."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-daft-punk-reveal-secrets-of-new-album-20130413

Also all you "why autotune" should read that paragraph a few times

lose yourself to dance will get a great remix. not generic hardstyle electro or anything like that but i think some producers could do wonders with the latter half of this song.

I have a feeling this is gonna get slammed by critics.

4.9 by P4K and what not.

With Pitchfork, an album like this is either going to be eviscerated or put on a pedastal. There's no telling which until they actually post their review.

For what it's worth, the album has actually been getting (mostly) very positive reviews so far. I am really interested in seeing what internet tastemakers have to say, though; nobody really gives a shit about Rolling Stone anymore. Even if Pitchfork's reviews are occasionally wacky garbage, people do tend to listen to them.

DominoKid

That geek kid is running hip hop

and it burns people up too lol.

One last thought. Though not necessarily a bad thing, it seems to me that this album loses the "robot" attribute of Daft Punk. On Daft Punk's past efforts, the music complimented their outfits. On Random Access Memories, I don't see two robots creating this music.

I figured that was the point. Can't really imagine them getting more robotic (and sterile) than HAA so it's cool that they went HARD in the opposite direction.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Now that all of the initial hype is over and I have listened to it a few times, I will give my thoughts.

I can understand where all of the hate comes from. I really can. The album has been ridiculously overhyped for the past month or so and people were expecting something totally game-changing. What else were you to expect after all of those pretentious collaborator videos? Why did people originally like Daft Punk? For the sick samples and beats and what they were able to achieve with them. What happened on this album? They created a very diverse album spanning many different styles of music.

I love Giorgio By Moroder, Doin' It Right, and Contact. Giorgio is clearly one of the best songs Daft Punk has ever done. Unfortunately, Giorgio and Contact are the only songs that have a serious synth-break. I would've preferred more of that to the disco fueled music on a number of the other tracks.

Disco. It's the reason a lot of people dislike this album. Now obviously Daft Punk has been heavily influenced by disco in the past, but the Nile Rodgers guitar on some of the songs kind of proves that they are making "real" disco music.

For me, my least-liked tracks include Game of Love, Instant Crush, and Fragments of Time. I think Fragments of Time has a nice, catchy melody, but the whole song is just so... late 70s cheese rock. I guess Touch is alright, but I was left disappointed after seeing many people on this forum rave about the song.

I think one of my favorite aspects of this album is how well all the tracks work together. If you threw disco, progressive rock, and electronic music onto the same album, you wouldn't expect it to work very well. Daft Punk, however, made this happen. And it's wonderful. The best part of the album, in my opinion, is the production. It is fantastic, to say the least. The drums punch you in the face and the guitar makes your head spin. Listen to the phaser effect on the synth in Giorgio. Mmmm...

We are human, after all.
Much in common, after all.

;)

aznpxdd

Love what I'm hearing so far. I'm also a big fan of ambient music, so some of the more mellow songs on RAM is just perfect.

This album is one of the few times in my life that I haven't been let down by the nostalgia hype.

Thanks Daft Punk.

Doin it right and Instant Crush are god tier. The whole album is amazing but those two songs kill it for me.

Salsa

man this is synced pretty well to a few song

SdCSNJv.gif

I like drake. He is not running hip hop currently though. If anything Future is running hip-hop if you go by radio plays.

Kendrick if you go by internet hype.

eh i love all being discussed so far but i bet rappers ask drake more than any of them to drop a verse at the moment. (future gets on a lot of hooks though)

IceCold

I was hyped about this, now im very disappointed though...

Giorgio is the only song I consider decent.

The rest remind me of elevator music. I would never pay any attention or be interested in them if i listened to them anywhere and not know it was DP.

I want to know which elevators you use that has music like this.

Helmholtz

Listened to some of the tracks on this, liked what I heard for the most part. Glad to see Panda Bear's track turned out great, as I'm a big fan.

Pachinko

Decided to stream this thing through itunes like everyone else

1)Give Life back to music was OK, I think it's one that might grow on me with repeat listens
2)The Game of Love didn't do much for me but may flow better with another listening
3)Giorgio by Morodor was pretty awesome, this is the sound I like from DP
4)Within was good , I liked the tempo
5)Instant Crush was like a pop song sung by a sega genesis and I enjoyed it.. and it gets better the longer it plays
6)Lose yourself to dance , similar to get lucky in tone and tempo and it also has lyrics by pharrell. Pure classic disco sound. I really like it. Not sure how well it'll play in a club though which is probably it's central purpose.
7)Touch , this is very interesting. Goes in a different direction than I expected and I think I quite like it
8)Get lucky , well we've all been listening to this for 2 months now in some fashion. I can see why they chose to use it as the single. It's a catchy dancable tune. Stands out on it's own.
9)Beyond , if this album is supposed to be 70's influences, then beyond is the 80's track. Reminds me of an 80's movie actually.
10)Motherboard ,it's like 3 shorter decent songs mixed together. Still works though.
11)Fragments of Time - funky song
12)Doing it right , this is the closest I'd say RAM gets to the type of sound most enjoyed with discovery.
13)Contact , this is a fantastic finale . If give life back to music was a title card this is a perfect credits sequence.

Overall I actually quite liked this album. I will surely pick it up (probably itunes) next week. I'll wait until then for a repeat listen. Probably do it properly with some headphones on next time.

grkazan12

I thought Beyond was fine, I mean it's not my favorite song from the album. It reminds me of I Keep Forgettin' by Michael McDonald.

Top Bottom