• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Gorillaz

Random Access Memories plug.dj listening session!

Starting in 10 minutes. Join us!

ax8Yby9.png
ax8Yby9.png
ax8Yby9.png

plug........dj.....
it's been a while since I've been on a session so I might hop in too

This album came at such a good time, been listening ALL DAY. Such variety in the tracks, I see why the called the album RAM.

Lose yourself to dance is my favorite track after a full day of listening.

I'd say 'The Game of Love' is the best track of the album, the sound is just so damn good.

'Lose Yourself to Dance' comes in second for me, it starts decent but gets awesome when the robots come in around the 2 minute mark.

Shaneus

Note: These are all *first* impressions. I'm bound to listen to it again and get more detailed later on. Also note: I've come down with a cold, so that could (seriously) affect how I feel about some tracks. At least, how much effort I want to put into describing them.

1: Not bad... guitar solos a little *too* guitar heavy, but take those out and I think there's a great song there. But stand out too much from the rest of the track.
2: Meh so far. Not a bad song, but rather than sounding like it was heavily influenced by pop from the mid 70s-early 80s, it sounds like it's actually *from* there. Kinda like a bad Hall and Oates track? Goes for too long, as well. Or at least, sounds like it does.
3: Amazing. Would probably prefer to hear it without Moroder speaking over the top. But yeah, I dig it. Except for the chaos toward the end... not feeling it.
4: Eh... crikey, this is boring. Nice production but that's it.
5: Too much vocoder by this stage. Reminds me of an okayish Chromeo song... but it just makes me wish for the original, untouched vocal rather than the (at this stage, overused) vocoder. Casablancas has a kick-arse voice, why not showcase it?
6: Feels really flat... vocal might even be off-key? Just not enough happening in the song. Maybe lose Pharrell's vocal, leave in the vocoder stuff for an LNTG-type hooky track?
7: Fucking love it. Just... great track! It's not daft punk, but has a great vocal, great backing track and disco-as-fuck production and composition. Ashford and Simpson would be proud. At least of the first half of it... not so sure of the second half, seemed to go on a little too long?
8: Obviously better than the radio edit, I think it's definitely been mixed differently... vocal doesn't seem as prominent as it was. Still too much of it, though... need that backing track to shine through more! Can't wait for the re-edits that reduce said vocal.
9: More vocoder? Ugh. Would be much better with an actual vocal, just mixed down heaps so as to be REALLY subtle. Not bad, but... ugh, dat vocoder.
10: Wat.
11: Quite like it. Groovy, funky, Hall and Oates all over. Possibly my favourite track? Maybe a bit of Stevie Wonder in there as well. Kinda what I was expecting most of the album to be, heavy influences of the 70s and 80s, harkening to youth and memories of being young. Enjoying the shit out of it! So happy and boppy, too :)
12: Vey average, did nothing for me.
13: Epic as shit. Great as an album closer, but as a track in general... might take a few listens. But can imagine this as a number of DJ's set closers at festivals, no problemo.

One thing I need to add, post listen: Production is so fucking on point it's not funny. Apart from the vocoders being far overused, everything else sounds quite nice. But yeah... the mixing needs to be redone in parts, I think. Especially for Get Lucky.

Edit: If it's true that DP will be releasing a re-mixed album, I'd be more keen to hear that. With any luck, they'll release stems for everything and people can put out their own take on some of the tracks, including myself. If they do that... DP = the greatest.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I felt the album worked better the second time through. Even the weaker songs weren't as jarring.
It's a pretty strong album, probably doesn't have the classics of Discovery, but I feel it works better as a whole. In the end I love the album, well worth the wait.

1. Contact
2. Touch (My favorite song but Contact stays above for it's first listen impact and place in the album.)
3. Beyond
4. Get Lucky
5. Giorgio By Moroder

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
"Random Access Memory, from the artists who brought you Daft Punk"

Just finished listening to it. It feels like Guy and Thomas collaborated on someone else's album, a buddy who likes to sign. The vocoding was good for Discovery, but it's been completely played out since. It does nothing good at all for the music to focus so much on it. Beyond sounds like the Carl Sagan vocoded youtube track.

And yet, in all tracks with non-vocoded lyrics, the voice sounds like someone signing to himself with headphones on.

The album is relatively cohesive, all of their albums have been cohesive on their own yet quite different from one another, but this is very alienating. I don't care what musicians say, bands are brands, and to me this sounds like it doesn't fit under the Daft Punk brand, it's something else "from the artists who brought you Daft Punk", but it's not Daft Punk.

Get Lucky remains the best track of the album, but the shortened version with only the chorus is better than the full track which suffers from that horrible voice mixing.

Doing it Right is also good.

Two good tracks only for me on this album, sadly:| But overall, it's not a Daft Punk album to my ears.

gdt

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet. Just finished Get Lucky (album version slays the radio cut).

Holy fuck this album is very very very very different than what I was expecting. Homework fans are gonna hate it haha. Discovery ones too probably. Some of the stuff is Beatley, Pink Floydy...its crazy. Strings horns wtf. A lot of this stuff can't work with their other songs for when they go out on tour again. And they absolutely will remix most of these songs themselves to get them....dancier for a live setting (can't wait for the remix album).

But I've seriously loved every song that I've heard so far. Giorgio is nuts. I even liked Within alot!

Zapages

Just listened to it. Comments as I was listening to it.

Give life back to music seems very chill and relaxing. A part of it seem to give a very homeworkish vibe with the oh yeahs. Then it becomes a mostly Discovery-chill vibe. Its very good and will grow on me.

Game of Love - starts really mellow and chill - but the last 1/3 verse becomes really good.

Giogio - by Morodor - is amazing so far in the start. Oh wow, in the middle it goes really different. Then it could be 3 different song- samples from the looks of it - Ok nevermind it really picks up at the end. Wow at the end, totally not expecting that. Wow! Wow!!! Wow!!!

Within is very mellow d bit interesting... Tries to recapture the old Discovery Face to Face or something about us... But doesn't quiet do it. Interesting regardless.

Instant Crush - classic Daft Punk, but now with speedy talk. I like it.

Lose yourself to Dance - don't what to make it of it... Its so different and good.

Touch - start seems right out of HAA... Weird. Feels like Something about Us, but not something about us as the same time... They were trying recapture that song. Then goes in different direction. Very weird. Seems to bunch short tracks that need to resampled into mini clips. I don't to even call it song, its so all over the place... There is no cohesiveness to this song. - Weirdest and most disappointing track.

Get Lucky - better than Radio version... But the song is good, because the lyrics are a bit cheesy.

Beyond - epic movie start. HAA and Homeworkish... Really nice. I like it, seems to be Homeworkish/HAA.... Wow the lyrics are cheesy, but really good. This is classic Daft Punk we are missing. This is good. Definitely not 70sish, but a bit of 80ish touch to it, which is good in my books.

Motherboard - movie intro again interesting. Sounds mysterious with no lyrics. 50% becomes a totally different song.... Weird. Ok, now its becoming a Tron like song. or not now. Very spooky to say the least with some light at the end of the tunnel type of song. Interesting spooky, mysterious and end sounds like going to the bathroom WTF?!

Fragments - very shopping/grocery/walgreens store song... lol Cheesy lol.

Do'in it right - cheesy - don't know what to think of it. Its Daft Punk but cheesy then normal.

Contact - intro about an UFO contact. lol ok cool. Ok this classic Daft Punk. Up beat, and oh wow. This is really fun build up is so good. The end portion was needed.... It seems to be more like for a music video.

The album is all over the place. Some songs seems they were from HAA and others are just seem to go together. I don't how they can infuse this album with their older albums because it so different. HAA rawness was transformed with production value of Discovery. This has high production value and I don't how it'll fit due to its lyrics.

Also the natural sound of live track versus Dub step is good and different than everyone out there.

Overall its seems that Daft Punk finally grew up and became adults. They are relaxed now from their experimental work from Homework to jump to life music of Discovery to raw of Human After All. Now its time "chill-ax" to music that excites you aka RAM.

Really the whole album seems to a tribute to Funk music instead of a album that experiment more than that. Then there are some tracks that not as funky.

Alive 2007 > Discovery > Homework > Alive 1997 > Random Access Memory > Human After All

I would give it solid 8/10.

Alive 2007: 10/10
Discovery: 9.5/10
Homework: 8.5/10
Alive 1997: 9/10
Human After All: 7/10
Tron: 8/10
Random Access Memory: 8/10

I have to do a relisten of the album... For the grade, its definitely not 10/10 due to Within and Touch. Touch could be broken down into so many different songs. The same can be said to some other parts of other songs as well.

jokkir

I was honestly expecting it to be more funky/ disco like. I'll give it another listen through before giving my final judgement though.

Panda Bear's vocals on Doin' It Right ruin the song for me - they don't really gel with the sound of the track, they're too aggressive. The remix version will probably correct this.

On my second listen, I'd say Game of Love and Beyond are my favourites, I think their sound is most accomplished.

MattDoza

Panda Bear's vocals on Doin' It Right ruin the song for me - they don't really gel with the sound of the track, they're too aggressive. The remix version will probably correct this.

On my second listen, I'd say Game of Love and Beyond are my favourites, I think their sound is most accomplished.

If. you. lose. your. way. to. night. that's. how. you. know. the. magic's. right.

I'm not a fan of his delivery of the lyrics here, either. Don't hate it or anything. But it's alright.

flippedb

Banned
I'm at Within now. What a weird album. I feel it has no flow to it, songs seem to be placed so randomly. I like it, though. Feels really funky/pop or something, quite different to EDM DP

IceCold

I wonder what Daft Punk will do for their next album. We know they like to switch things up for each album but I don't know where they'd go from here. I wonder if they would ever consider going full circle and doing a more refined version of Homework.

One thing is for sure, they've set the bar pretty high for themselves now.

Davidion

Second half of the album is sounding weak. Beyond and Motherboard were sleep-inducing.

Where the hell is Todd Edward's contribution on Fragments in Time? Doesn't sound like he was anywhere within miles of the track.

PBY

Banned
I wonder what Daft Punk will do for their next album. We know they like to switch things up for each album but I don't know where they'd go from here. I wonder if they would ever consider going full circle and doing a more refined version of Homework.

One thing is for sure, they've set the bar pretty high for themselves now.
? The bar has been higher before.

I'm not sure I like Touch or not :/

I really like it from around the 4.30 mark onwards. Don't like Paul William's vocals at all, they sound really out of place in the song (and the album.) Pretty weird choice, I can see maybe why they did it but it doesn't really work for me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If instead of Pharrel, they got someone who could actually pull off a falsetto, like Prince.....

...then Lose Yourself would be new national anthem.

Just finished listening to the Itunes stream of this album. Wow! Not what I was expecting, yet very close to what I wanted. This album is definitely funky. Give Life Back to Music is a phenomenal opening song. Game of Love is different, but for some weird reason I really enjoy the relaxed nature of the song. Giorgio is just a big tease -- at first I was aggravated by the talking, but when the music started? DAT MUSIC MAN! Within is definitely a weak link. Instant Crush is alright. Lose Yourself to Dance seems is very Jackson-eque, but not quite as good. Touch is just weird. Get Lucky is what we all have enjoyed. Beyond and Motherboard are alright. Fragments of Time is so being played during the next road trip. Doin' it Right is not that spectacular. Contact is a fantastic song to close this album.

Overall I've enjoyed what I've heard. Not sure where I'd rank this CD, but that doesn't really matter to me: it's a phenomenal CD and is definitely now an in store purchase.

Top Bottom