• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Alucrid

Banned
How is it a strawman? A majority of the complaints I've read in this thread since this afternoon have been people saying they didn't like it because it was "too boring" or didn't sound like "Homework/Discovery-era Daft Punk." One person even said that Daft Punk was best when they were sampling music and shouldn't try to make "real" music again as he put it. If you don't like the album then fine. It's your opinion. However, let's not try to bullshit each other and act like people aren't complaining because it isn't another Discovery.

Well at least two of us wanted another Homework.

Get'sMad

How is it a strawman? A majority of the complaints I've read in this thread since this afternoon have been people saying they didn't like it because it was "too boring" or didn't sound like "Homework/Discovery-era Daft Punk." One person even said that Daft Punk was best when they were sampling music and shouldn't try to make "real" music again as he put it. If you don't like the album then fine. It's your opinion. However, let's not try to bullshit each other and act like people aren't complaining because it isn't another Discovery.

I think you're referring to a post I made and I stand by it...I didn't necessarily mean that it had to be just like Discovery or Homework..I just feel after listening to this it's evident thats what they're best at doing.

I also don't mind that they tried something new...I said in another post I love all the music from the era they're trying to replicate with this. I knew I what I was getting from the build up of the album with the collaborator videos...the idea/concept of the album sounded good on paper, it's just I think the execution is poor.

yeah maybe they were going for the sound of some random prog pop record from the late 70s you'd find in the dollar bin of a record store but I'd rather listen to that record then Daft Punk attempt to imitate that sound.

PBY

Banned
Just finished my 3rd full listen.

I have some issues with it, as some songs lean too hard into the cheese/lounge vibe for my tastes, but I definitely think its a strong album, up there with some of this years best.

The low point for me is the horns coming in on Touch

pxleyes

Banned
Contact, and really the whole album, take you for an epic ride. I'm just going to sit back and bask in its glory.

Contact is going to get remixed left and right, hopefully with some killer vocals. The possibilities for future work laid out by this album are extraordinary.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Listened to the whole album two more times, then went back and listened to Discovery while relaxing.

To me, RAM's motif now comes across as a melancholy, reflective counterpoint to Discovery. Not truly downbeat, the opening track feels like a statement of purpose. Like someone who is looking back, trying to find themselves, but determined to press on.

It may be disco/motown but there seems to be a redemptive theme of the blues weaving in and out of it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
They definitely put out an album that is a lot different than anything else anyone is going to put out this year.

Baby Milo

"Giorgio of morodor" -is really cool.feels like a journey from the 70's to present.

Within-Nah i can't do this. Grandma shoe shopping music

I was hyped about this, now im very disappointed though...

Giorgio is the only song I consider decent.

The rest remind me of elevator music. I would never pay any attention or be interested in them if i listened to them anywhere and not know it was DP.

Aeonin

Listened to the whole album two more times, then went back and listened to Discovery while relaxing.

To me, RAM's motif now comes across as a melancholy, reflective counterpoint to Discovery. Not truly downbeat, the opening track feels like a statement of purpose. Like someone who is looking back, trying to find themselves, but determined to press on.

It may be disco/motown but there seems to be a redemptive theme of the blues weaving in and out of it.

I agree with you on all that.

Opinion: there's some filler, and Contact really needs something at the end, but regardless: this is a great album, a very solid 8.5/10. Not prepared to call it their best, but it certainly beats several shades of snot out of Human After All (which I'd peg at about the 5/10 range).

I was hyped about this, now im very disappointed though...

Giorgio is the only song I consider decent.

The rest remind me of elevator music. I would never pay any attention or be interested in them if i listened to them anywhere and not know it was DP.
You must be riding some dope-ass elevators, man. I'd ascend to these jams any day of any week

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
tumblr_m24l8zt4cd1r9q7jwo1_500.gif

Here is drake jamming to RAM.

That geek kid is running hip hop

I like drake but this is not true at all currently. He was running the crossover game for a while but he hasn't been nearly as strong recently. I'm interested to see what is going on with his new album.

antipode

It doesn't do anything when I click preview all.........:|

I had to go to iTunes Store -> Music -> Click Daft Punk promo at the top, taken to a promo splash page with the robots in suits at the top, and there you get a stream promo link. You can't link directly to that promo page, which is what people are trying to do.

The iTunes stream is SOOO much better than the 192 kb leak, just in the the soundstage alone. Much cleaner separation.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I have a feeling this is gonna get slammed by critics.

4.9 by P4K and what not.

ALBUM OF THE DECADE CONFIRMED!

ps. this is why im just done talking about the album, if Discovery was never really recognized for what it was until years later by everyone...

give this time.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I think you're referring to a post I made and I stand by it...I didn't necessarily mean that it had to be just like Discovery or Homework..I just feel after listening to this it's evident thats what they're best at doing.

I also don't mind that they tried something new...I said in another post I love all the music from the era they're trying to replicate with this. I knew I what I was getting from the build up of the album with the collaborator videos...the idea/concept of the album sounded good on paper, it's just I think the execution is poor.

yeah maybe they were going for the sound of some random prog pop record from the late 70s you'd find in the dollar bin of a record store but I'd rather listen to that record then Daft Punk attempt to imitate that sound.

Well let's agree to disagree. I feel that by stepping out of their natural element which would have to sampled heavily like they did in Discovery would have been a cop out and the efforts they have labored over bear fruit on this album by giving us something foreign but familiar. I can only hope this album puts the EDM scene on blast and forces producers to approach their future products with even an iota of creativity that went into this album.

I like drake but this is not true at all currently. He was running the crossover game for a while but he hasn't been nearly as strong recently.

Hip hop stands still whenever drake releases a track, he's only released one single so far from his next album and that spawned 100 remixes from everyone is rap

Only kanye and Jay gather the same attention as drake, and neither will outsell him

It doesn't do anything when I click preview all.........:|

Open the page and click view in itunes. Do you have itunes installed? I don't see a preview all button.
Edit:
I had to go to iTunes Store -> Music -> Click Daft Punk promo at the top, taken to a promo splash page with the robots in suits at the top, and there you get a stream promo link. You can't link directly to that promo page, which is what people are trying to do.
Or do that, I think that's what I did, come to think of it

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

The iTunes stream is SOOO much better than the 192 kb leak, just in the the soundstage alone. Much cleaner separation.

Oh ok that works,"Listen Now", should have been obvious:)

Listening now!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I will say it's damn funny to have listened to Access All Arenas yesterday and hear Justice morph shamelessly into Alive 2007 Daft Punk. Then today find out Daft Punk stole Justice's 70's crib and gear and jammed.

Courage

Hip hop stands still whenever drake releases a track, he's only released one single so far from his next album and that spawned 100 remixes from everyone is rap

Only kanye and Jay gather the same attention as drake, and neither will outsell him

What does that have to do with his music being bad?
emot-smug.gif

Zane

I have a feeling this is gonna get slammed by critics.

4.9 by P4K and what not.

Doubt it. Pitchfork has a huge feature article coming out tomorrow and P4K never does cover stories for albums they subsequently trash. I'm expecting a 9.0+ and BNM from them.

Top Bottom