• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

I go to bed and now gaf hates and album?

milla4neogaf9kz41.gif

Arozay

My two favourite tracks both have something wrong with them :(

Giorgio by Schwarzenegger has the interview section. Contact has the unnecessary ear rape.

Instant Crush is pretty good too, one of the few where the singing vocals work. Album could have used more samples throughout though. Too many collaborations kinda hurt it in the end.

jett

D-Member
My two favourite tracks both have something wrong with them :(

Giorgio by Schwarzenegger has the interview section. Contact has the unnecessary ear rape.

Instant Crush is pretty good too, one of the few where the singing vocals work. Album could have used more samples throughout though. Too many collaborations kinda hurt it in the end.

Well, the actual track starts after Moroder is done speaking. The 90 seconds before are mostly just an extension of The Game of Love.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Reposting from last page because I think this may put things into perspective:

Comparing this to their older albums is a futile endeavor. It is an extreme and intentional departure from their old work. By their own accounts they were tired of that style. They wanted a change for a single album(or longer).

The albums don't even really fit into the same genre.

You can like the other ones better but I think a lot of the people who don't like this album expected homeworkdiscovery part 2.0 or something. That is a valid viewpoint though. Nothing wrong with that.

Same thing happened with 808s and heartbreaks. An album I also loved.

Snakeyes

OK, after further listens, I can't say it's better than Homework. But it's up there.

Discovery > Homework > Random Access Memories > Tron > Human After All

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

dmshaposv

OK, after further listens, I can't say it's better than Homework. But it's up there.

Discovery > Homework > Random Access Memories > Tron > Human After All

Good man. Same as what I'd rate it.

RAM is a much much better album than the derivative Tron Legacy soundtrack.

I'd put RAM in the same tier as alive 2007, but below Discovery and Homework.

grkazan12

Comparing this to their older albums is a futile endeavor. It is an extreme and intentional departure from their old work. By their own accounts they were tired of that style. They wanted a change for a single album(or longer).

You can like the other ones better but I think a lot of the people who don't like this album expected homeworkdiscovery part 2.0 or something. That is a valid viewpoint though.

MThanded, I feel like our tastes in music go hand in hand, awesome avatar btw always meant to say that. It was a long time ago, but I totally forgot that the 808s & Heartbreak thread was similar to this one terms of the mixed opinions ranging from being hated to absolutely loved.

Still a beautiful album, that I think will age well. Daft Punk always seem to get mixed thoughts on every studio album after Homework, people definitely had mixed opinions when Discovery came out as well.

Dany

Banned
If everyone has found something they like in this album then I'd say it's definitely doing its job. Preview the album and buy the singles you like is my best advice to people who aren't feeling the overall sound.

Similar tastes.

Nah I already have it preordered. :p I don't regret the purchase of my new shirt, can't wait for it to come by.

I had a problem adjusting to changes in style on the new Phoenix and Deerhunter albums. I didn't like the new direction of those albums. RAM, on the otherhand, is seriously hitting the sweet spot with me. I still cannot comprehend how someone would prefer HAA over it, but hey, opinions.

IceCold

People have to understand one thing: Daft Punk doesn't really do music for others or the fans, never have and never will. They do the music they feel like doing and aren't motivated by monetary gains. That's
why each album is so different from one another or why they did the Tron OST even though the pay wasn't very good.

Anyways I cannot wait to hear their remixes of this. If there's one group that knows how to remix and mashup songs it's them.

I'm on my 7th listen now, mostly on good headphones. I guess I can see why some people don't like it, but I love it. I wasn't really a Daft Punk fan, either.

Instead of worrying about what's "cheesy" or what sounds like it's from the 70s, or what sounds like what you'd hear in an elevator or a supermarket, instead just ask yourself "Does what I'm hearing right now sound pleasant to my ears?"

man this album is so good. I have listened to it about 4 times now. One thing that REALLY sticks out to me is how well it was produced. I mean.. my hell it sounds perfect.

LevelNth

Banned
Absolutely love how the album has been streaming for less than 24 hours, and some here are doing discography ranks and favorite/least favorite tracks already.

You guys should work for Pitchfork.

I guess I'm among the few that was expecting/hoping to get Discovery pt 2 but is still loving RAM. It's a departure, for sure, but I really enjoy how deep and moody the tracks are.

hsin

Banned
Reposting from last page because I think this may put things into perspective:

You can like the other ones better but I think a lot of the people who don't like this album expected homeworkdiscovery part 2.0 or something. That is a valid viewpoint though. Nothing wrong with that.

Couldn't have put it better myself. After reading their interviews, I was expecting an album like this and was expecting to judge it for what it is, not for what I thought it would be.

IceCold

man this album is so good. I have listened to it about 4 times now. One thing that REALLY sticks out to me is how well it was produced. I mean.. my hell it sounds perfect.

Yeah the album's production and mastering is really great. I think this is something everyone can agree on.

Adam Blue

For what it is, it's pretty good, but not music I would listen to. The last song, Contact, is very similar to Strung Out's Matchbook, specifically the lead-out melody and SFX. Both albums very personal work.

PBY

Banned
Couldn't have put it better myself. After reading their interviews, I was expecting an album like this and was expecting to judge it for what it is, not for what I thought it would be.
I hate this critique because it's pretty disingenuous. It kind of dismisses the criticisms people here had of the album.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Absolutely love how the album has been streaming for less than 24 hours, and some here are doing discography ranks and favorite/least favorite tracks already.

You guys should work for Pitchfork.

People have opinions, news at 11. Get off your high horse dude.

A few hit and misses but overall really enjoying the album. Absolutely lost it with the vocoder in Lose Yourself to Dance. And Giorgio...MY GAWD <333

tanuki

I must be one of the few who loves the entire album. Totally hits all the right references and influences for me.

It's amazing how divisive all of Daft Punk's albums have been, not just RAM. Remember how many Homework fans hated Discovery (and still do) when it came out and wasn't a filter house record?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What's disingenuous about it?

Disregarding people's gripes with the music with "they intended it to be this way all along so you were just expecting wrong" is pretty disingenuous. You should be able to form an opinion about music without any pretext.

jtb

Banned
I hate this critique because it's pretty disingenuous. It kind of dismisses the criticisms people here had of the album.

Well, both sides are doing it. "Oh if you like it it's because you haven't heard the good stuff from the 70s/80s" "Oh if you don't like it it's because you were expecting Discovery again"

in short, generalizations are bad

Solo

Anyone else digging Doin' It Right?

So good.

I only listened to it the once last night, but the standouts for me were:

- Give Life Back To Music
- Giorgio By Morodor
- Lose Yourself To Dance
- Get Lucky
- Doin' It Right
- Contact

Jibbed

I only listened to it the once last night, but the standouts for me were:

- Give Life Back To Music
- Giorgio By Morodor
- Lose Yourself To Dance
- Get Lucky
- Doin' It Right
- Contact

Yup. Instant Crush is also sounding better every time I listen to it.

I must be one of the few who loves the entire album. Totally hits all the right references and influences for me.

It's amazing how divisive all of Daft Punk's albums have been, not just RAM. Remember how many Homework fans hated Discovery (and still do) when it came out and wasn't a filter house record?

I love the entire album too. *High five*

And yeah, Discovery was very different from Homework.

Dilly

Banned
Really love Giorgio and Contact, the rest I don't really care about except for some parts.

For some reason I really hate all the vocal work on this album, that probably why I don't like it as much.

Top Bottom