• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
DP should follow this up with an album with no session musicians and no collaborators, singing every song and playing every instrument. And they should produce the whole thing in under a year.

Mik2121

Definitely liking

-Giorgio
-Get Lucky
-Contact

the most, with some absolutely boring to me. At least on the first listen. Maybe I get to like some more after listening to everything a few times.

Shaneus

If you want old Daft Punk, then listen to old Daft Punk - it's not like it's gone or something
I think most people (or at least, the people who don't adore it) wanted to hear Daft Punk reimagining the style of music from the 70s and early 80s... what we got was Daft Punk recreating music in the style from the 70s and early 80s.

Maybe it depends on what one's musical listening history is like. I've heard more stuff from the 70s and 80s than I'd care to mention, and I'd rather hear the stuff from then that DP are inspired by (or ripping off, depending on how you feel) than what they're actually playing. If it was their take on that stuff, then I'd be more open to it. But there's nothing new that hasn't been done.

What I loved about Discovery, was this:
This album has a lot to do with our childhood and the memories of the state we were in at that stage of our lives. It's about our personal relationship to that time. It's less of a tribute to the music from 1975 to 1985 as an era, and more about focusing on the time when we were zero to ten years old. When you're a child you don't judge or analyze music. You just like it because you like it. You're not concerned with whether it's cool or not. Sometimes you might relate to just one thing in a song, such as the guitar sound. This album takes a playful, fun, and colorful look at music. It's about the idea of looking at something with an open mind and not asking too many questions. It's about the true, simple, and honest relationship you have with music when you're open to your own feelings.

-Thomas Bangalter

What Daft Punk have done isn't like that but with live instruments and reimagining the music from the period they're inspired by... they're recreating it. Not capturing the essence of it and making it their own, just trying to remake it.

DP should follow this up with an album with no session musicians and no collaborators, singing every song and playing every instrument. And they should produce the whole thing in under a year.
And no instruments. I want something Bobby McFerrin-esque, damnit.

Dany

Banned
Contact works great as an album ender, but I don't think it really can stand on its own.

Touch is the true masterpiece of the album. It is known.

You know nothing, Eidan.

Contact is the one true song. The rest are false songs.

:p

Ran rp

I think most people (or at least, the people who don't adore it) wanted to hear Daft Punk reimagining the style of music from the 70s and early 80s... what we got was Daft Punk recreating music in the style from the 70s and early 80s.

Maybe it depends on what one's musical listening history is like. I've heard more stuff from the 70s and 80s than I'd care to mention, and I'd rather hear the stuff from then that DP are inspired by (or ripping off, depending on how you feel) than what they're actually playing. If it was their take on that stuff, then I'd be more open to it. But there's nothing new that hasn't been done.

What I loved about Discovery, was this:

What Daft Punk have done isn't like that but with live instruments and reimagining the music from the period they're inspired by... they're recreating it. Not capturing the essence of it and making it their own, just trying to remake it.

Yep.

the monologue on giorgio is completely unlistenable after one time and touch's musical theater bullshit is also hilariously bad

the bombast on some of the tracks is completely off-putting

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The fact that they said they're remixing this themselves makes me think this is only Phase 1 of the project: recreate the production of the 70s. Phase 2 might be: turn that production into something new.

But in retrospect releasing that particular edit of Get Lucky as the taster may have done this album a great service for a lot of listeners. Get Lucky caused most everyone to wonder what the hell was happening. Even if you liked it, it sort of reset expectations.

Some may have told themselves the entire rest of the album would somehow be "real DP", but the general reactions are surprisingly positive for such an experiment.

Fjordson

I can't put this on Discovery's level. That was so infectious and listenable in almost any situation. Total classic for me.

I like RAM and I enjoy it as something to put on at home with headphones, but some of the magic from their first two albums just isn't here for me. Like I really want to like some songs, but I can't imagine them being much fun to listen to after a while. Like Giorgio's song overall sounds really cool, and it's a neat idea that was great to hear the first time. But I'm already fast forwarding through the spoken word part now after hearing it 3-4 times. Same with the weird vocal sections on Touch.

Versus most tracks from Homework and Discovery that are just as fun today as they were 10-15 years ago. I could put on Digital Love or Around the World right now and be good to go.

RAM is a pretty different beast in that regard. More of a slow burn. Which isn't inherently a bad thing, but it's not something that I see myself revisiting often like with Discovery and Homework.

llehuty

The album is good, but man, the way it begins (first three tracks) and the way it ends (last 2 tracks)... they definitely know how to begin and end an album.

I'm looking forward to them remixing this stufff. It HAS to be mental, right?

To those who are disappointed and not blessed with ears that appreciate good music, remember that Daft Punk are going to be doing this. It could be more in line with what you expected.
Personally, I'm very glad they evolved.

jett

D-Member
Too bad some people can't look beyond their misguided preconceptions and are unable to enjoy RAM.

Let's all be honest, if you were expecting something as good as Discovery or Alive, then this album is just plain boring.

If you were expecting an album filled with mediocre disco tracks then this is the album for you.

Let's all be honest, it's stupid to project your opinion unto everyone.

Dany

Banned
The fact that everyone is citing different tracks as their favorites is a testament to how great the album is.

...but I don't like the majority of the songs. How does that make this album great? Because it has a wide appeal?

MMaRsu

Too bad some people can't look beyond their misguided preconceptions and are unable to enjoy RAM.

Let's all be honest, it's stupid to project your opinion unto everyone.

Yeah you are right. But honestly I am not enjoying RAM at all. I like funky music, I like Daft Punk and I love electronic music. I also really enjoy music from the 70's and 80's.
I cannot enjoy this very much. There are a few good tracks but it feels like something they just threw together and indeed, just basically doing the exact same thing as the artists they were inspired by.

I didn't hear anything that really stands out, or a good club song or whatever. Something new.. I didn't hear it.
To me it's really boring, and very unexpected from Daft Punk imo. I was at least expecting 1 song worthy of a club hit or something.

And I want to state that I didn't get caught in the hype train or anything, I'm just legit disappointed.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Fragments of Time is my favorite, so smooth.
I love the chopped up bluegrass.

Yeah you are right. But honestly I am not enjoying RAM at all. I like funky music, I like Daft Punk and I love electronic music. I also really enjoy music from the 70's and 80's.
I cannot enjoy this very much. There are a few good tracks but it feels like something they just threw together and indeed, just basically doing the exact same thing as the artists they were inspired by.

I didn't hear anything that really stands out, or a good club song or whatever. Something new.. I didn't hear it.
To me it's really boring, and very unexpected from Daft Punk imo. I was at least expecting 1 song worthy of a club hit or something.

And I want to state that I didn't get caught in the hype train or anything, I'm just legit disappointed.

First of all they said they were tired of their old approach. They didn't want the sample heavy robotic stuff they were doing before. They wanted more melodic work with actual live instruments. Check out their rolling stone interview. Second of all, lose yourself to dance will probably be a big hit.

I understand your disappointment. I guess i was happy with the departure from the older stuff. I always like the more slow and mellow stuff from them.

SpacLock

...but I don't like the majority of the songs. How does that make this album great? Because it has a wide appeal?

If everyone has found something they like in this album then I'd say it's definitely doing its job. Preview the album and buy the singles you like is my best advice to people who aren't feeling the overall sound.

Nah, it's my fave track so far as well. I love the combo of Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, Touch, then Get Lucky. So good.

Similar tastes.

MMaRsu

I love the chopped up bluegrass.

First of all they said they were tired of their old approach. They didn't want the sample heavy robotic stuff they were doing before. They wanted more melodic work with actual live instruments. Check out their rolling stone interview. Second of all, lose yourself to dance will probably be a big hit.

I understand your disappointment. I guess i was happy with the departure from the older stuff. I always like the more slow and mellow stuff from them.

Sure, I did too, but more as an intermission between other great more electric songs. A song like Voyager is perfect like that. But imo the only song that even comes close to a good Daft Punk song is Doin it Right and Fragments.

I haven't been following the lead up to this album at all, keeping in the dark and only listening to Get Lucky. I liked that song but I was expecting something more than just an extension of that.

There is not one song that stands next to a song like Aerodynamic.. or even Voyager for that matter ;).

Mantrox

I'm looking forward to them remixing this stufff. It HAS to be mental, right?

I hoping that they not only do some remixes, but a remix album, and that album is probably what i want from RAM.
Daft punk sampling itself with vintage synth gear being the palette not only an outline.

MThanded

Sure, I did too, but more as an intermission between other great more electric songs. A song like Voyager is perfect like that. But imo the only song that even comes close to a good Daft Punk song is Doin it Right and Fragments.

I haven't been following the lead up to this album at all, keeping in the dark and only listening to Get Lucky. I liked that song but I was expecting something more than just an extension of that.
Yeah you were destined to be dissapointed. Check this out:

"After three records, there was a sense of searching for a record we hadn’t done," Thomas says. The duo were dissatisfied with early demos that leaned heavily on electronic equipment, feeling like they were operating on "autopilot," Thomas says. Eventually, a new approach emerged: "We wanted to do what we used to do with machines and samplers," he explains, "but with people." Except for a snippet of "an Australian rock record" that opens the final track, "Contact," Daft Punk foreswore samples entirely, and they limited the role of drum machines to just two of the album’s thirteen tracks. The only electronics come in the form of a massive, custom-built modular synthesizer that Daft Punk played live on the album, they told me, and an arsenal of vintage vocoders on which they manually manipulated factors like pitch, vibrato and legato. "There’s this thing today where the recorded human voice is processed to try to feel robotic," Thomas says, referring to the undying AutoTune vogue. "Here, we were trying to make robotic voices sound the most human they’ve ever sounded, in terms of expressivity and emotion."
Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...l-secrets-of-new-album-20130413#ixzz2TH2B74iy

The fact that they said they're remixing this themselves makes me think this is only Phase 1 of the project: recreate the production of the 70s. Phase 2 might be: turn that production into something new.

But in retrospect releasing that particular edit of Get Lucky as the taster may have done this album a great service for a lot of listeners. Get Lucky caused most everyone to wonder what the hell was happening. Even if you liked it, it sort of reset expectations.

Some may have told themselves the entire rest of the album would somehow be "real DP", but the general reactions are surprisingly positive for such an experiment.

Where did they say they'd be remixing it themselves?

Codo

Neo Member
PSY・S;57643588 said:
I wanted more future :( I was expecting DP to take the sound of the 70's and 80's and make something futuristic or transcendental with it, but it mostly sounds like an emulation of the old with a slight DP touch to it.
Summed up my feelings.

Oh well maybe they change the songs for the better with Alive 2017!

MMaRsu

Yeah you were destined to be dissapointed. Check this out:

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...l-secrets-of-new-album-20130413#ixzz2TH2B74iy

pff no wonder -_-

Funny youtube comment ( on Aerodynamic ) I can agree with :

ah after listening the new album, this feels good. It's like getting in a hot shower while you were freezing outside. Seriously, the new album is musically very interesting and original, but daft punk did not put any real energy, or any good beat, and thats what I like. It is too retro, too calm and even too sad I think. Too bad.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Ok listened to it about 10 times now and here is my review.

Give Life Back to Music - definitely my favorite track. It's perfectly funky and it just puts a good mood for the rest of the album.

Game of love - not into it. at all.

Giorgio by Moroder - Here we go, this is what i was expecting this entire album to be like. Love this.

Within - Not really into Sad Punk.

Instant Crush - Definitely like this track. Different but catchy as hell. Caught myself singing this out loud a few times.

Lose Yourself to Dance - The first thing i think of when i hear this track is 'Prince'. I LOVE the slow jam of this track. Simple, chill, and catchy. Hell yes.

Touch - This is what i would listen to if i ever left earth's orbit. These collab experiments can be hit or miss, but this one is definitely a hit for me.

Get Lucky - This version destroys the Radio Edit, just for the fact that theres more to listen to. I can loop that guitar lick for hours and not get tired of it. Easily the catchiest chorus on the album, and my second fav track.

Beyond - Good "put on in the background and do other shit" track.

Motherboard - Would lump it into the 'Beyond' category, but the end part really gets me. I dig this one a lot.

Fragments of time - Eh. Don't really feel like it belongs on this album. Not into it.

Doin' it Right - OH SHIT YES. im a huge Animal Collective and Daft Punk fan, and this sounds exactly what i thought they would sound like together. LOVE this track. Anticipate a lot of remixes to this one.

Contact - Wow. This could easily be on a classic rock album like Pink Floyd or The Who. If they don't end their shows with this track then they have failed.

All in all i give it a 7 out of 10. I think everyone was expecting a dance album and instead we got their experimental album. This is definitely a slow burn cause the more i listen to it, the more i like it. Can't wait for the remix album.

I feel Contact just builds up and builds up but does nothing with it and just fades away. I don't understand the love for Giorgio and Motherboard, one has way too much talking (otherwise an ok song) and the other one is an forgettable AIR remake which does not even start until the last minute. I do think some of TRON - the son of flynn, derezzed, solar sailer - are genuinely better than some of these tracks.. but I can see they are also completely different.

I do like however; Give life back to music, lose yourself to dance (which is is the best "daft punk" song on the album), get lucky, beyond.. the others are good too.. no skippers.

MThanded

Comparing this to their older albums is a futile endeavor. It is an extreme and intentional departure from their old work. By their own accounts they were tired of that style. They wanted a change for a single album(or longer).

The albums don't even really fit into the same genre.

You can like the other ones better but I think a lot of the people who don't like this album expected homeworkdiscovery part 2.0 or something. That is a valid viewpoint though.

Same thing happened with 808s and heartbreaks. An album I also loved.

MMaRsu

Comparing this to their older albums is a futile endeavor. It is an extreme and intentional departure from their old work. By their own accounts they were tired of that style. They wanted a change for a single album(or longer).

The albums don't even really fit into the same genre.

You can like the other ones better but I think a lot of the people who don't like this album expected homeworkdiscovery part 2.0 or something. That is a valid viewpoint though.

Same thing happened with 808s and heartbreaks. An album I also loved.

Yup I'll agree there and that's the exact reason I am disappointed. And the same reason why I didn't enjoy 808's either.... lol

Top Bottom