• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Shaneus

The organic feeling of the tracks, made the album feel somewhat foreign for a Daft Punk fan like me. If we look at previous albums, the sampling of magic moments of obscure tracks, was the filling on the mostly eletronic cake. What i love about Daft punk, is the finnesse and craftsmanship with wich they construct their songs and the care put on using old eletronic gear to try and emulate the disco, warmth and grooviness. Now with this album, they crossed the barrier, and are just producing their own Disco tracks.

The sparkly clean drums and mildly filtered guitar just don't convey the same exitement to me as a listener, as the epic crescendos of old distorted shynths trying to screech out guitar riffs.

I don't hate Daft Disco, but i definitely don't love it.
I think, when you're creating an album that uses only samples, you're basically creating something where you have an infinite palette to work from and can twist the sounds in any way you see fit. I think DP thrived in that sort of environment, and somewhat restricting themselves to a live instrument-only format has somewhat stifled them in that way. Honestly, I think they would've been better off taking a broader approach of, say, combining the best of live instrumentation *with* the ability to sample, loop, filter and process both their own original instrumentation and things from decades past.

I dunno. I guess I can't help but feel that this isn't as creative an album as I was hoping... and while it's obviously a better produced and better sounding album than Discovery, it doesn't feel as creatively diverse and "free", I guess. I mean, it sounds diverse, but diverse whilst losing cohesiveness (whereas Discovery was diverse but was still able to fit together, like a jigsaw puzzle of a Picasso painting).

Edit: Fuck, I think I've basically reworded exactly what you wrote. My apologies if so! At least your post made the top of the new page ;)

Contact and Touch are the standouts for me.

Pharrell ruins every song he is in and I hope they never work with him again. They could have shortened Get Lucky, kept the intro, and completely excised his vocals and I think the song would be infinitely better.

Appleman

It's funny that we were talking about Audio, Video, Disco just before this leaked. To me, this is DP's AVD in the sense that it's so different from what I expected and from their previous material, and I won't even know how I feel about it until like 10 listens and I can distance myself from the hype.

(I also ordered both vinyls before hearing the albums so I'm in the same boat)

MMaRsu

Let's all be honest, if you were expecting something as good as Discovery or Alive, then this album is just plain boring.

If you were expecting an album filled with mediocre disco tracks then this is the album for you.

Let's all be honest, if you were expecting something as good as Discovery or Alive, then this album is just plain boring.

If you were expecting an album filled with mediocre disco tracks then this is the album for you.

agreed. and if daft punk weren't behind this album, it would be forgotten dude to its boredom.

I think all of the collaborations watered down the album, to be honest. If you're going to collaborate it makes more sense to keep that pool of people very limited. This album sounds like a Pharrel, Nile Rodgers, Moroder album featuring Daft Punk instead of the other way around.

dmshaposv

The album is anything but boring.

I'd say, at times its quite overwhelming with its different styles and layered production.

Gav

Im on my 5th listen through from start to finish, and i genuinely love it.
A couple of tracks took 2 or 3 listens to click, but im so damn happy with how it all is.

I can totally understand why people are disappointed for various reasons. But because of this there are some amazing debates going on. Its great to read people opinions, good or bad, with reasons and discussion, rather than one word for how they feel.
I also love that so many people love one track, and then many others really dislike it. Shows diversity!

For me, i will be listening to this for a very long time. Im giddy with excitement for the vinyl arriving.
Contact and Lose Yourself to Dance are amazing. And i love Touch.

SpacLock

Amazing album. I've never been a huge Daft Punk fan (but always loved their music), so me saying that this is the most complete album they've created shouldn't be taken seriously by huge DP enthusiasts, but damn this is the most consistent album they have ever produced IMO. Love it.

Oh, and I've been listening to Daft Punk since my brother showed me a mixtape when I was just a little wiener.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This definitely isn't my favourite daft punk album, ranks below homework if I were to give it a ranking. The number of good to outstanding sounds generally outweigh the mediocrity though.

Blader

I think, when you're creating an album that uses only samples, you're basically creating something where you have an infinite palette to work from and can twist the sounds in any way you see fit. I think DP thrived in that sort of environment, and somewhat restricting themselves to a live instrument-only format has somewhat stifled them in that way. Honestly, I think they would've been better off taking a broader approach of, say, combining the best of live instrumentation *with* the ability to sample, loop, filter and process both their own original instrumentation and things from decades past.

I dunno. I guess I can't help but feel that this isn't as creative an album as I was hoping... and while it's obviously a better produced and better sounding album than Discovery, it doesn't feel as creatively diverse and "free", I guess. I mean, it sounds diverse, but diverse whilst losing cohesiveness (whereas Discovery was diverse but was still able to fit together, like a jigsaw puzzle of a Picasso painting).

Edit: Fuck, I think I've basically reworded exactly what you wrote. My apologies if so! At least your post made the top of the new page ;)

It's funny you say that DP thrived with samples and are restricting themselves with this new approach when they've said just the opposite themselves: that they grew bored of sampling (HAA is a pretty big indicator of this) and found this instrumentation and the collaborations freeing.

I really dig the album. It's very different from their previous works but I really like the sound, and I'm not even really a fan of disco to begin with. My only issues are with the monologues and that most tracks run way too long. But I really liked RAM on first listen.

Codo

Neo Member
Old Daft Punk feels like music from the future, new Daft Punk feels like music from the past!

RAM isn't bad but I expected something different!

IceCold

Most songs aren't even disco.

Ran rp

Old Daft Punk feels like music from the future, new Daft Punk feels like music from the past!

RAM isn't bad but I expected something different!

I wanted more future :( I was expecting DP to take the sound of the 70's and 80's and make something futuristic or transcendental with it, but it mostly sounds like an emulation of the old with a slight DP touch to it.

Eidan

I think it's easily on Discovery's level.

Man, Contact is such an intense listen. Forget roller coasters and sky diving; want an adrenaline rush? Listen to this. It's like the RE4 of music.

I haven't heard anything like Touch before. It is utterly mental. At first, my ears didn't want accept the disarray of music combined with imperfect vulnerability of the vocals. But out of the chaos, there emerged something hauntingly beautiful. It shouldn't work, but oh my lord, does it work.
It's batshit crazy and oustanding genius at the same time. It can be the Metal Gear Solid of the music world.

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this album. It's Discovery all over again.

Jibbed

I think it's easily on Discovery's level.

No way.

Discovery is god-tier for me, although I feel like the more I listen to RAM, the more I'm gonna like it.

Right now I'm on a 6/10, pushing 7.

Man, Contact is such an intense listen. Forget roller coasters and sky diving; want an adrenaline rush? Listen to this. It's like the RE4 of music.

I haven't heard anything like Touch before. It is utterly mental. At first, my ears didn't want accept the disarray of music combined with imperfect vulnerability of the vocals. But out of the chaos, there emerged something hauntingly beautiful. It shouldn't work, but oh my lord, does it work.
It's batshit crazy and oustanding genius at the same time. It can be the Metal Gear Solid of the music world.

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this album. It's Discovery all over again.

The best description of the album thus far!

Eidan

No way.

Discovery is god-tier for me, although I feel like the more I listen to RAM, the more I'm gonna like it.

Right now I'm on a 6/10, pushing 7.

I feel that the highs of Discovery probably go higher than those on RAM, but I also skip several songs on Discovery. With the exception of Within, I think every song on RAM is great, and feel no desire to skip through.

jtb

Banned
Definitely not on Discovery's level for me. Way too messy, a bit too indulgent for it to be up there for me. Still really like the album, put it on par with Homework (despite huge stylistic gulf between them).

Ran rp

Doin' It Right is the only song I can listen to to the end without growing bored of it. I'd say Get Lucky too, but I've heard it enough already.

I feel like I've heard everything on this album before from the genres DP are channeling, instead of being introduced to something new and groundbreaking. I'll keep my expectations in check if there's ever a fifth studio album.

Bread

Banned
PSY・S;57644094 said:
Doin' It Right is the only song I can listen to to the end without growing bored of it. I'd say Get Lucky too, but I've heard it enough already.

I feel like I've heard everything on this album before from the genres DP are channeling, instead of being introduced to something new and groundbreaking. I'll keep my expectations in check if there's ever a fifth studio album.
it's so simple, but pandas vocals never get old on my opinion. I love how he uses his voice as an instrument instead of just singing lyrics,
if that makes sense.

Nibel

If you want old Daft Punk, then listen to old Daft Punk - it's not like it's gone or something

This is something new and brave; everybody who expected some "back to the roots" album is delusional since this mindset leads to unreachable expectations that have nothing to do with being able to differentiate between good and bad music

I like the old stuff and like the new stuff as well

Ran rp

So can we all agree that this is a horrible disappointment and the hype was all for nothing?

I'll say that's it not for everyone. Personally, if this was 5-6 years ago when I was just getting into exploring different genres of music I'd be all over this. But now nothing really stands out at me.

I don't want to say this and I'll probably be mocked but this would have been an entry level album for me back then :lol, in that it would get me to check out all of the genres and artists this album is borrowing from.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
PSY・S;57644584 said:
I'll say that's it not for everyone. Personally, if this was 5-6 years ago when I was just getting into exploring different genres of music I'd be all over this. But now nothing really stands out at me.

I don't want to say this and I'll probably be mocked but this would have been an entry level album for me back then :lol, in that it would get me to check out all of the genres and artists this album is borrowing from.

Weirdly enough it was discovery that got me exploring french house and electronic music in general. :p

Top Bottom