• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Divius

I'm not really ready to form an opinion yet, need to listen more. There are a bunch of tracks I absolutely love and a few tracks that don't click with me (yet, as they will probably grow on me).

The production is ace. All the collaborators are bringing their A-game. The album is really, really different from what I expected, but that's a rather positive surprise.

hsin

Banned
I hate this critique because it's pretty disingenuous. It kind of dismisses the criticisms people here had of the album.
I didn't intend to dismiss people's criticisms. I mainly wanted to address the fact that there ARE people who are dismissing the album because it wasn't what they expected it to be. I would say that most criticisms I've seen on the thread ARE people that are judging the album for what it is.

IceCold

Yeah, right.

If that was the case they would have done more albums and tours. Or done the 600 interviews Disney wanted them to do. They seem to be pretty simple dudes (not motivated by fame either) that simply enjoy and respect their craft.

Shaneus

Reposting from last page because I think this may put things into perspective:

Comparing this to their older albums is a futile endeavor. It is an extreme and intentional departure from their old work. By their own accounts they were tired of that style. They wanted a change for a single album(or longer).

The albums don't even really fit into the same genre.

You can like the other ones better but I think a lot of the people who don't like this album expected homeworkdiscovery part 2.0 or something. That is a valid viewpoint though. Nothing wrong with that.

Same thing happened with 808s and heartbreaks. An album I also loved.
Eh, I wasn't expecting anything 2.0, I was expecting Daft Punk's reinterpretation of something from the era they were heavily discussing/were influenced by. What I feel we got was just them producing stuff in the style of back then. There's a big difference between creating a record that strongly shows your influences, and creating something that sounds almost exactly like them.

I thought it was one of the weaker tracks, but it doesn't work too bad as the calm before the storm. :p

I think that's one of the reasons why Contact was praised highly on here. On the whole, the album is mellow and easy-going, then boom, you find yourself on a lightspeed journey in space. I salivate at the thought of hearing that live. My goodness, I would lose my shit.

javac

This is hard and its not definitive but I'm going to be brave and...here is my list so far. I like them all so its hard. Top to bottom.

• Giorgio
  • Fragments of time
  • Contact
  • Lose yourself to dance
  • Beyond
  • Motherboard
  • Get Lucky
  • Give life back to music
  • Instant Crush
  • Touch
  • Doin' it right
  • The game of love
  • Within

Nyx

If that was the case they would have done more albums and tours. Or done the 600 interviews Disney wanted them to do. They seem to be pretty simple dudes (not motivated by fame either) that simply enjoy and respect their craft.

Surely they are enthusiasts that love to make music, but in the end, they too want to make money out of it.

LevelNth

Banned
The simple fact that Daft Punk has been incredibly divisive their entire career I don't think anyone should be surprised this album is any different.

Frankly I wouldn't have it any other way, I love how different every single album of theirs is, and their bravado and dedication to not worry about hearkening back to similar sounds to please fans or increase sales at the expense of the music they want to make.

So far for me, this album is brilliant. It is so incredibly different and unique, and yet another achievement for DP. Many, many other bands could only DREAM of having the range and breadth of skill as the robots.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
This alternate track order seems to work very well

01. Contact
02. Get Lucky
03. Give Life Back to Music
04. Fragments of Time
05. Giorgio By Moroder
06. Lose Yourself to Dance
07. Beyond
08. Instant Crush
09. The Game of Love
10. Within
11. Motherboard
12. Doin' It Right
13. Touch

I already love disco and funkier stuff, but I did find that it took 3-4 listens for some tracks to click.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. touch would make an amazing closer.

kaskade

I kind of feel like the songs that everyone seems to pick immediately have the most instant likability. The other ones might be growers.

Nugg

This thread is giving me flashbacks of that time where everybody was hating Discovery because it was so different. The old Pitchfork review from 2001 feels like something you could read in this thread today

Prog and disco have never openly begged for their own hybrid, but the genres' newborn Frankenbaby is alive, whether we like it or not. Still, this beast, however grotesque, is relatively harmless-- rather than running amok in the village and snapping the necks of civilians, it only wants to "celebrate and dance so free, one more time." Just don't let it sing.

jokkir

So is this the Daft Punk equivalent to Justice's Audio, Video, Disco? The backlash on AVD was big though from what I remember lol

I like RAM though after another listen through.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So is this the Daft Punk equivalent to Justice's Audio, Video, Disco? The backlash on AVD was big though from what I remember lol

I like RAM though after another listen through.

more like kid a, now that was a backlash.

jett

D-Member
At one point during our interview, Bangalter let it slip that he and de Homem-Christo recently had a meeting with De Palma to “discuss some things,” though he declined to divulge any specifics.

huh huh huh

Album is disappointing as fuck as a Daft Punk album. It's just so safe and pedestrian and sounds so stale. Even the best tracks are really weak/generic takes on other genres.

Doing It Right is one of the only tracks I actually really enjoy, it's not fresh by any means in todays musical landscape but I can admit it's an evolution from their older work. Giorgio by Moroder is saved by the interviews interspersed throughout, the actual music loses steam after a few loops. Instant Crush would be decent if they didn't fuck up Julians vocals with a vocorder.

Contact is enjoyable but it's a shitty Daft Punk song...it wouldn't be out of place on any random post rock/big beat crossover album from 2004. It sounds like a Chemical Brothers/The Album Leaf colab.

Anyways, over time I'm sure my opinion will shift from a disappointed one into just a mushy, indifferent one.

Talon

The Game of Love is difficult to listen to.

That Halles and Oates riff at the end (Fragments of Time?) is hilarious.

Top Bottom