• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
a quote from a different RAM thread

hahaha i love the ecstasy and excitement and cool criticism and hate and everything else going on in this thread.

can't wait to live the next decade with this album no matter what anyone says.

Album is disappointing as fuck as a Daft Punk album. It's just so safe and pedestrian and sounds so stale. Even the best tracks are really weak/generic takes on other genres.

Doing It Right is one of the only tracks I actually really enjoy, it's not fresh by any means in todays musical landscape but I can admit it's an evolution from their older work. Giorgio by Moroder is saved by the interviews interspersed throughout, the actual music loses steam after a few loops. Instant Crush would be decent if they didn't fuck up Julians vocals with a vocorder.

Contact is enjoyable but it's a shitty Daft Punk song...it wouldn't be out of place on any random post rock/big beat crossover album from 2004. It sounds like a Chemical Brothers/The Album Leaf colab.

Anyways, over time I'm sure my opinion will shift from a disappointed one into just a mushy, indifferent one.

I think they completely lost their identity with this album but that's what happens when collaborators are placed front and center stage.

I think they completely lost their identity with this album but that's what happens when collaborators are placed front and center stage.

If they dropped the Pharrell tracks and threw in some Discovery D-sides the album would be so much better off. And burn Give Life Back to Music with fire...one of the worst album openers I've ever heard.

Ran rp

After 20 or so listens the only songs that I'll come back to this album for are probably:

Give Life Back to Music
Beyond
Motherboard
Fragments of Time
Doin' It Right

None of them are amazing but I don't want to completely ditch the album. Maybe it'll grow on me more.

There is no post here I disagree with MORE than this.

If RAM does anything, its define Daft Punk's identity.

Please explain. There is literally nothing on this album that has not been done better by another artist/group before. If you think of Daft Punk as a cover band instead of trendsetters than I guess this album could define their identity.

The album does end really strong after a really saggy middle, I'll give it that. Last 5 tracks are the strongest collectively and could have been the basis for a really strong album.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
If they dropped the Pharrell tracks and threw in some Discovery D-sides the album would be so much better off. And burn Give Life Back to Music with fire...one of the worst album openers I've ever heard.

see thats the thing if you were expecting discovery 2.0 then of course you are going to be disappointed.

each daft punk album has its own identity for better or worse (human after all) but I think they nailed this one.

Honest question: If you did not know this was Daft Punk, would you all listen to these songs? I'm really not impressed with a lot of this work.

Honest question: If you did not know this was Daft Punk, would you all listen to these songs? I'm really not impressed with a lot of this work.

Yes? I really enjoy Motherboard and Game of Love, and especially the later part of Beyond. It's pretty well established that this album is a departure from the previous styling, for better or for worse, but I think it's safe to assume a lot of people who are enjoying it are doing so on the album's own merits.

RooMHM

Well I like it in a way I'd like an album not made by Daft Punk which is cool. This album is a remix piece, and not a real Daft Punk record imo. It's just so different to Daft Punk original scores. But it's good. That song with Casablancas is very cool.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Probably not, but the legacy did keep me digging and listening to the songs closer. I'm not inherently opposed to daft punk making this sort of music, and the idea of daft punk recreating their inspirations is a pretty interesting concept actually.

It's a huge departure, but there are some gems in there.

daft punk aren't some incredible talents so i'm not that surprised that ram turned out to be rather ordinary. discovery being one of the best albums ever was clearly an anomaly at this point with how awful haa was and how tepid ram is.

i'd listen to all the nile rodgers songs because but that's because of nile rodgers and not daft punk

jokkir

I wonder how Daft Punk are going to perform this album in, let's say, an Alive concert. All the songs sound so mellow and I don't see a ton of people being hyped like in Alive 2007. Unless they remix it with their old songs.

see thats the thing if you were expecting discovery 2.0 then of course you are going to be disappointed.

each daft punk album has its own identity for better or worse (human after all) but I think they nailed this one.

I think Discovery is their weakest album next to this one.

Antiwhippy

I could only really comment on Bibio, 65daysofstatic and the chemical brothers, but not really man. Even though those were pretty damn good albums, but RAM is going for a different sound than those.

Raiden

Banned
Goddamn what the hell happened in here?

This is killing me but my soundsystem broke down and i currently have no way of listening to any of the new songs. I have to wait till i can get the album from the store and play it from the cd.

Newline

Touch is beautiful.
Love the 6 min version of get lucky.
Beyond, Doin' it right, Instant Crush are all great listens.
Contact is the kind of closing track I wanted and I was pleased as my ears were greeted by give life back to music so happy in that regard.
The rest i'm still working out, not sure about motherboard. Possibly my least inclined track followed by fragments of time although I fully appreciate what they were after with it.

Your argument is now a parody of itself.

How? I have a massive, massive collection of music and spend at least 10 hours a day listening to it and looking for more. I like Daft Punk (seen them live twice) and this album isn't horrible but it's certainly disappointing (to me). If they were doing something original here I would be more than happy to give them credit. They usually do push themselves and the musical envelope a little bit hence why I'm being critical.

Obviously finding a carbon copy of RAM isn't possible but the music on it isn't "new" by any stretch and anyone who says otherwise doesn't listen to enough electronic music.

cntr

Banned
I wonder how Daft Punk are going to perform this album in, let's say, an Alive concert. All the songs sound so mellow and I don't see a ton of people being hyped like in Alive 2007. Unless they remix it with their old songs.

They've said that they'll mix together their old works when they finally do another tour.

Imagine, say, Get Lucky and One More Time together...

Antiwhippy

How? I have a massive, massive collection of music and spend at least 10 hours a day listening to it and looking for more. I like Daft Punk and this album isn't horrible but it's certainly disappointing (to me). If they were doing something original here I would be more than happy to give them credit. They usually do push themselves and the musical envelope a little bit hence why I'm being critical.

Obviously finding a carbon copy of RAM isn't possible but the music on it isn't "new" by any stretch and anyone who says otherwise doesn't listen to enough electronic music.

But dude, 65daysofstatic, really? They're as far away from this album as you can get. :p

I mean, if we're going to argue about someone doing RAM but better, might as well be something closer to its sound.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Whelp, this album became the first to receive a full play through on my new car. Just picked up a BMW 5 series F10 down in Strasbourg this morning and listened to this on the drive back. Watching the rain roll in as I drove through the countryside enjoying the new car with Daft Punk scoring the ride was just excellent. It's a very chilled out album and that totally fit the mood.

Eidan

Is a song only good if it's doing something that hasn't been done before?

I always struggle with the "this has been done before" argument in music. I have a hard time caring if music is groundbreaking or not. It just needs to sound good.

Newline

Unfortunately you and your opinion are nothing new either, yet i'm sure I could find some value in listening to what you have to say.
I really,really like 'Touch'
I haven't been following release dates but is the album out?
No

Whelp, this album became the first to receive a full play through on my new car. Just picked up a BMW 5 series F10 down in Strasbourg this morning and listened to this on the drive back. Watching the rain roll in as I drove through the countryside enjoying the new car with Daft Punk scoring the ride was just excellent. It's a very chilled out album and that totally fit the mood.

Can't think of a better album to lose your new car's musical virginity to. :p

My only criticisms of the album are:

1] Giorgio's interview should be a separate track intro.
2] Julian has such a great voice that it seems like a waste/missed opportunity to vocode it.
3] Probably one too many slow/sad songs.

Otherwise I love it. It's pretty much what I expected after finding out about all of the collaborators and hearing Get Lucky. I still think Discovery is better but this as its own thing is still really great and an interesting listen.

Might be too mainstream, but, definitely get a Beaucoup Fish vibe listening to this stuff.

For the record, really love the album -- strong, strong, strong 80s feeling. Feel like I'm listening to some of my parents old vinyls from when I was growing up.

I do it daily so I'm more than willing to throw down.

I listen to plenty of electronic music thankyouverymuch and this album sounds fresh as fuck to me. Certain people are quick to point out the lack of originality yet I haven't seen anyone have the balls to produce some specific examples. You've thrown down some albums from bands in the electronic genre, big whoop. Doesn't really back up your argument.

Let's not turn into a dick measuring contest where we argue about who listens to more electronic music, plz thnx.

Top Bottom