• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

grkazan12

Am I the only one in here who actually likes the vocoders throughout the album, I think they sound great. I really like how human and melancholic they sound and they sound less artificial than the cookie cutter autotune that's been a tad overused lately.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
people citing AVD as repetitive should probably re-visit that album.

Just listened to it on spotify for the last hour. I stand by my comment Also way too much rock and synths for me. Almost more of an 80s rock vibe. I like the album but i definitely prefer RAM.

Just listened to it on spotify for the last hour. I stand by my comment Also way too much rock and synths for me. Almost more of an 80s rock vibe. I like the album but i definitely prefer RAM.

i get the rock and synths criticism; repetitive i do not. but again, opinions.

jokkir

Love Justice
3AQmK.gif

Honest question: If you did not know this was Daft Punk, would you all listen to these songs? I'm really not impressed with a lot of this work.

I've never listened to Daft Punk before Get Lucky, I'm more of a rock guy. But this album is fantastic, I can't stop listening to it.

To be honest, though, if it wasn't for the massive GAF hype and how much I liked Get Lucky, I wouldn't even have given it a chance.

Minyobi

Yikes. What the hell happened to this thread? Things were so happy before the streams went live.

Anyway, I've been a fan of Daft Punk since Homework and I just finished RAM. I think it's an incredibly solid album. There are some spectacular songs on there.

It isn't the return of Jesus many hyped it to be, though.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
oh man giorgio that part with the jam/jazzy/lounge music sequence at around 3:50 and then switching back to the synth... just, damn.

I think I'll be rocking this album for a long time.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Justice seems to channel more of that 80s rock vibe while this album is more evocative of the 60-70s. Different strokes for different folks. I like both groups. This album is more inline with my style though. A lot more mellow.
oh man giorgio that part with the jam/jazzy sequence at around 3:50 and then switching back to the synth... just, damn.

I think I'll be rocking this album for a long time.
Yeah the piano section right there is so mellow then it just flows right back into the main progression at around 4:30.

PBY

Banned

You should listen to All Access Arenas.

I loved AVD when I first heard it, but seeing them live took that album to the next level. AAA might change your mind.

Am I the only one in here who actually likes the vocoders throughout the album, I think they sound great. I really like how human and melancholic they sound and they sound less artificial than the cookie cutter autotune that's been a tad overused lately.

nah i love the vocoders too.

But dude, 65daysofstatic, really? They're as far away from this album as you can get. :p

I mean, if we're going to argue about someone doing RAM but better, might as well be something closer to its sound.

If you can't appreciate the similarities between Contact and this then I concede: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W63Zi1g4D90

Not to say that there aren't a ton of bands both electronic and not that don't do the epic scale opera style buildup but this track is why I mentioned 65DOS.

beta_fuse

I can honestly say I enjoyed every track. I don't have a personal favorite cause every time I listen I change my mind. All I can say is this album will definitely keep my ears occupied all summer long. Bring on the B-sides and unreleased goodies!

How? I have a massive, massive collection of music and spend at least 10 hours a day listening to it and looking for more. I like Daft Punk (seen them live twice) and this album isn't horrible but it's certainly disappointing (to me). If they were doing something original here I would be more than happy to give them credit. They usually do push themselves and the musical envelope a little bit hence why I'm being critical.

Obviously finding a carbon copy of RAM isn't possible but the music on it isn't "new" by any stretch and anyone who says otherwise doesn't listen to enough electronic music.

Being "entry level" isn't a negative comment. It just means they're catchy and accessible and non-offensive to people who wouldn't normally listen to this style of music.

My point has been that I like alot of things from "entry level" music all the way to more complex, weird, experimental stuff and there's nothing here that I haven't heard before. Daft Punk can do better, they have 3 times before.

Congratulations? Who cares? No one.

jtb

Banned
I hope Instant Crush is the next single, but I wonder how they would trim it down for radio play. Get Lucky got a bit butchered along the way.

Being "entry level" isn't a negative comment. It just means they're catchy and accessible and non-offensive to people who wouldn't normally listen to this style of music.

My point has been that I like alot of things from "entry level" music all the way to more complex, weird, experimental stuff and there's nothing here that I haven't heard before. Daft Punk can do better, they have 3 times before.

The problem with this argument is that there is no possible way that Human After All could ever be considered better than RAM.

dmshaposv

Ok guys, after listening to it a few times - touch is a masterpeice.

From the lyrics, instrumentation and vocals - its brilliant and stays in your mind.

The second single will be lose yourself to dance for sure. Dont see the other songs working as a single.

I hope Instant Crush is the next single, but I wonder how they would trim it down for radio play. Get Lucky got a bit butchered along the way.

The problem with this argument is that there is no possible way that Human After All could ever be considered better than RAM.
i like HAA more than RAM. opinions.

Error

the guitar lick in lose yourself to dance is so good, nile killed every song he was in. come on.

dmshaposv

the guitar lick in lose yourself to dance is so good, nile killed every song he was in. come on.

Niles guitar was featured in more than 3 songs, right? His presence was felt throughout the whole album except doin it right which i still contend to be a good song but one that doesnt belong on this album

Error

Niles guitar was featured in more than 3 songs, right? His presence was felt throughout the whole album except doin it right which i still contend to be a good song but one that doesnt belong on this album

Yeah. Give Life Back to Music, Lose Yourself to Dance and Get Lucky.

I love this album. It's not what I would have expected from Daft Punk, but there are so many good songs here. Even on Discovery there are several songs that I don't care for at all. There are significantly less of those on RAM.

Eidan

Ok guys, after listening to it a few times - touch is a masterpeice.

From the lyrics, instrumentation and vocals - its brilliant and stays in your mind.

The second single will be lose yourself to dance for sure. Dont see the other songs working as a single.

h80DBBCC3

Error

love this comment on youtube about touch

deusmark hace 2 horas

That's the sound of God cumming

around the 4:18 mark is when the song becomes some transcendental shit

I love the vocals in game of love. The electronic vibrato and intake of breath, and the part where he nudges the mic at the end makes it feel like someone took the electronic voice guitar from harder better faster stronger and played it as an acoustic. It's beautiful.

This album has some definite cheese, but I really like cheese. I think touch gave me some supertramp vibes...

Top Bottom