• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

grkazan12

So is the Pitchfork review expected to drop sometime next week with the release of the album? Curious to see what they though of it.

amnesiac

So is the Pitchfork review expected to drop sometime next week with the release of the album? Curious to see what they though of it.
I agree, I wonder what they will think of it. Considering that they did the cover story on them, I think it will at least get BNM.

Giorgio by Moroder and Contact... ohmahgawd. Epic... just freakin' epic.

Fragments of Time is also seriously good. At first listen it's very safe, but that's not the selling point of the song... it's how the groove of the song is shaped.

Speaking of groove, I think this was the entire point of RAM.

3rd listen through, the one common thread I've found with all of the songs is that they have groove. And I don't mean that the songs are "groovy" or whatever, I mean that the music feels alive. You can feel the music as you listen through, and the head bobbing, foot and finger tapping all come natural. It's something that's practically disappeared in most of modern music these days and it feels fantastic to actually feel the groove of the music.

Midou

I'm on my 3rd listen through it now, a few songs I partially shrugged off before like 'Within' are already starting to grow on me. I love how it feels so different, even if its quite unlike them too. It really shines from the effort you can feel from the collaborators. I only liked about half of Human After All, but Alive turned some songs from HAA into master pieces so it's fine.

Giorgio by Moroder is glorious, Give Life Back to Music and Instant Crush are among my favorites as well, Lose Yourself to Dance is Pharrell's better song but Get Lucky is still great and better than its radio edit. Can't say I dislike any song.

House is one of my favourite genres, and I can understand some people finding their approach to this album odd, but I love what they have done with it.

MNC

The guitar riff in Give Life Back To Music is the one thing that stuck with me FOREVER since listening to the album. Definitely my top number. Touch is also great and Motherboard too. Screw the rest.

Rookje

The production is awesome and it is definitely a Daft Punk album, but the vocals are just... not very good. Instant Crush vocals are crappy, Lose Yourself to Dance too.

I can see "Touch" getting sampled a lot by pop dj's.

Contact is seriously top 3 daft punk tracks of all time. Its iconic, fresh and interesting.

Actually you can make value judgements on other people's value judgements. You just can't say whether it is true or false.

the way he phrased his comment was that an objective value of 'bad" or "good" can be applied to all opinions. there is no universal rule system that governs this. opinions regarding other's opinions are still subjective and ancedotal by nature.

dmshaposv

In terms of vocal performances in the album, this is how I'd rate:

1) Paul Williams
2) Todd Edwards
3) Pharell on Lose yourself to dance
4) Pharell on Get Lucky
5) Julian Casablancas
6) Panda Bear

javac

I'll just keep playing back
These fragments of time
Everywhere I go, these moments will shine
I'll just keep playing back
These fragments of time
These moments will shine.

<3

jtb

Banned
you realize they have different reviewers, who don't all have the same taste.

i think murder is awesome and way better than medical r&d

That's probably because a single person reviewed the album, and many people helped make the year end list.

Nope. Discovery wasn't on their Best of 2001 list, but it was on their best of the 2000s. This was definitely a case of revisionism, not that I mind.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
you realize they have different reviewers, who don't all have the same taste.

damn you don't say, I know it was a single reviewer but it still funny that an album that got 6 in their site always rank high in their lists.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The only reason I think they didn't get someone like Prince to do falsetto on Lose Yourself is because that combination would have unravelled the universe...they're just trying to look out for humanity here.

btkadams

I think Justice did a better job at the whole throwback retro rock/disco/funk thing while still staying "true to their roots" with AVD.

i would agree that that avd is much closer to justice roots than ram to daft punk's previous efforts, but i think that might have contributed to why avd felt a bit stale to me when i first heard it. i really do like the album, but it really didn't blow me away like cross. i had justice up in the clouds with daft punk after the perfect first album, but my expectations really dropped after avd. it's hard to really judge them based on only two albums though, and i don't know how i'll feel about ram after a few months. i think my low expectations will most likely allow me to blown away by justice's next efforts.

touch is my absolute favourite song off this album.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
my first listen takes:
My Rating- (BOOM!, Awesome, Good, Ok, Meh, Bad)

1. “Give Life Back to Music” (featuring Nile Rodgers) Good
2. “The Game of Love” Meh
3. “Giorgio by Moroder” (featuring Giorgio Moroder)OK
4. “Within” (featuring Chilly Gonzales)Meh
5. “Instant Crush” (featuring Julian Casablancas)Awesome
6. “Lose Yourself to Dance” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers)Good
7. “Touch” (featuring Paul Williams)BOOM! like......BOOM!!!
8. “Get Lucky” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers)Good
9. “Beyond”Meh
10. “Motherboard” Awesome!
11. “Fragments of Time” (featuring Todd Edwards)OK
12. “Doin’ It Right” (featuring Panda Bear)Good
13. “Contact” (featuring DJ Falcon)Good

Yea, first listen, Motherboard and Touch caught my attention the most.

dunno how I feel about the album overall yet, though the Idea of an "Alive 2014" Album with this and Tron OST..... [change underpants]

DominoKid

i havent even thought about AVD since a month after it released and i made the GAF OT! i loved it initially but it got boring really quick. just didn't have that intangible magic of their first album. my favorite work from them is still that long ass Planisphere track.

Honest question: If you did not know this was Daft Punk, would you all listen to these songs? I'm really not impressed with a lot of this work.

i think the naysayers would like it more if it wasnt Daft Punk because then they wouldnt be going into it w/ the expectations they did. much like MGMT for example.

PBY

Banned
i havent even thought about AVD since a month after it released and i made the GAF OT! i loved it initially but it got boring really quick. just didn't have that intangible magic of their first album. my favorite work from them is still that long ass Planisphere track.

Have you listened to All Access Arenas?

Courage

I'm starting to warm up to "Give Life Back to Music." It's got a certain groove to it that totally suits the relaxing robotic voice.

not a fan. not a fan at all.

it all seems so disjointed, so sporadic, and the collaborators have been hit and miss in my eyes. only pharrell & niles worked.

i thought give life back to music was decent but average. lose yourself to dance is fantastic, and i can imagine that bass and those vocals being remixed on a future live/alive album to great effect. get lucky is good, but we knew that.

just listening to contact, its alright, but nothing special.

got to be DP's worst album for me. i know human after all wasn't fantastic, but it had at least 4 or 5 hits on it, and some of the lesser songs were used to great effect in alive 2007.

maybe they'll release another alive album in a few years, with some kind of awesome RAM funky disco incorporated into the mix that will redeem this album, but for now, this is a great disappointment.

dmshaposv

Nobody would like this album if the words Daft Punk weren't on the cover.

This is a dumb sentiment.

Daft Punk did what most good artists do - made some great music and earned their fans.

If anything, if this was a completely new band people wouldve been praising it in high heaven for being a daring first effort. It is because they are daft punk and have an established standard of quality of their music that people are being critical.

jtb

Banned
Have you listened to All Access Arenas?

(speaking for myself here, obviously)

I liked AAA, and managed to catch Justice live, but I don't really get how those song live improve the album. Just makes me want to listen to the live album instead, honestly.

I liked AVD so it wasn't that much of an issue with Justice but with Alive 2007, it was so great, and all I could think was&#8212;well, why the hell didn't Human After All sound like that?

All Access Arenas is good though.

Midou

Nobody would like this album if the words Daft Punk weren't on the cover.

I only liked about half of Human After All, part of Homework tough loved all of Discovery and Alive, I'm a fairly selective Daft Punk fan, but I love this album. It's like a mix-tape of awesome.

In fact I believe the issue is the opposite, expecting it too be too much like something like Discovery and their older stuff would lead to disappointment.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
it all seems so disjointed, so sporadic, and the collaborators have been hit and miss in my eyes. only pharrell & niles worked.

pretty much my initial feeling.

I was afraid even before the release of all these colabos, and now that I've listen to the album, my fears were confirmed. I think most of them didn't work.

Some songs even feel "over-produced" like Lose yourself to dance , Within and Giorgio by Moroder for example. dunno were they were going with them.

Top Bottom