• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Sullichin

Lose yourself to dance!
Lose yourself to dance!

... I kind of hate this song. It's infectious, is stuck in my head, and the guitar is awesome. But I HATE the "Sweat, Sweat!" vocal parts and the song is a bit bare... the "come on come on come on" vocoder layer isn't very interesting.

My favorite songs are Beyond and Motherboard. Neither of them are very dancey tracks, but they are great. If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't peg Motherboard as a Daft Punk song. I was expecting more 4 to the floor 120BPM tracks than what we got. I'm fine with the album not having a lot of that, but the dancey songs are probably the most disappointing for me - lose yourself to dance and doing it right sound pretty bare. I was also disappointed by "Contact" after hearing lots of praise about it (mostly here). It's cool, but it's not mindblowing. "Touch" is strange, I don't know how I feel about it yet. I don't like the corny vocals. Gigorio is great. Don't like "Within", "Game of Love" or "Fragments of Time" so far... but I need a lot more listens. So basically, I don't really know how I feel about a lot of the songs yet. As far as first impressions go I'm disappointed, but my opinion is in no way final.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
let the music of your life give life back to music
repeat x10

have it stuck in my head now

Gav

Ive made my comments about tracks and the album in general already in here, but, having listened to it pretty much all day...

...i'm in love.

Give life back to music.

iKZV2w8ZpI167.gif

LevelNth

Banned
Ive made my comments about tracks and the album in general already in here, but, having listened to it pretty much all day...

...i'm in love.
I still can't find a song I'm not really in to! At first Fragments of Time didn't grab me, but listening more I'm starting to really like it's hook.

This might be DP's most complete front to back album.

Awesome album! Am I the only one who keeps hearing the... Pokemon theme during Give Life Back to Music's intro? I don't know if it's just me, but there's some similarity going on there. Maybe I'm crazy.

I still can't find a song I'm not really in to! At first Fragments of Time didn't grab me, but listening more I'm starting to really like it's hook.

This might be DP's most complete front to back album.

yeah, i think this album is really a grower. the more you listen to it the more you are going to enjoy it. several songs that i wasn't initially moved by have really grown on me since last night. and the highs on this are so high. touch and giorgio just take you on such a journey, the end of instant crush is amazing, and contact just goes so hard.

i really love this album and i think once the dust settles people are going to look back on it as a great album.

remnant

Banned
I've been listening non-stop all day. It's going to burn out on me eventually.

Somany songs grow on you. I loe fragments of time now and touch, omg touch.

Awesome album! Am I the only one who keeps hearing the... Pokemon theme during Give Life Back to Music's intro? I don't know if it's just me, but there's some similarity going on there. Maybe I'm crazy.

I was JUST thinking that too. Still think it's one of the best tracks. Had the biggest smile yesterday listening to it for the first time.

LevelNth

Banned
For what it's worth, the last 3 months have been huge for me personally with 6 MAJOR albums I was intensely looking forward to, with this being the last I got to hear:

New Bowie
New James Blake
New Phoenix
New Vampire Weekend
New National
New Daft Punk

RAM has grabbed me the most out of the 6, which frankly says A LOT, because all 6 have been damn superb. Great, great year so far.

IceCold

Lose yourself to dance is basically confirmed to be the single. Someone on reddit posted a pic of the vinyl that a local store received and the cover has a sticker mentioning Lose yourself to dance and Get Lucky.

amnesiac

Lose yourself to dance is basically confirmed to be the single. Someone on reddit posted a pic of the vinyl that a local store received and the cover has a sticker mentioning Lose yourself to dance and Get Lucky.

Two Pharrell songs? Bleh. With an album with so many collaborators, you think they would've been more open minded in their choices for singles. (if it does turn out to be a single)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

unf, gunna have to find that single.

iKhayal18

For me:

01. Give Life Back to Music AWESOME
02. The Game of Love AWESOME AND CHARMING
03. Giorgio by Moroder NOT BAD
04. Within MMM...
05. Instant Crush MMM...
06. Lose Yourself to Dance MMM...
07. Touch VERY NICE
08. Get Lucky NICE
09. Beyond VERY NICE
10. Motherboard VERY NICE
11. Fragments of Time MMM...
12. Doin’ It Right MEH
13. Contact NICE

jtb

Banned
Track ratings? why not.

out of *****
one star just means it's the worst song on the album, not that it's bad or anything

Give Life Back to Music: ****
Game of Love: **
Giorgio by Moroder: *** I've really cooled on this; I hate that second talky bit and beyond—it gets a little too cheese-tastic for my tastes
Within: ***
Instant Crush: ***** Best song on the album, for me. Was really expecting Casablancas to be the low point on the album too, but everything comes together really well in this song
Lose Yourself to Dance: ***** Love it. One of the few songs that's pushed just far enough to its limit, without becoming overly long or indulgent.
Touch: ** Not feeling it; unfocused, messy, bloated
Get Lucky: * Over it. Not as bad as the radio edit though
Beyond: *** Meh
Motherboard: ***** God-tier, closest thing on this album to capturing that Discovery-vibe
Fragments of Time: ** Not feeling it
Doin' it Right: **** Loved the snippet, hated the song when I first heard it, back to loving it
Contact: *** Big disappointment. It doesn't go anywhere, and it really should. Also, the ending static-y stuff is really irritating. Destined for Alive 201X greatness though.

dmshaposv

Random Access Memories - AWESOME

I honestly like every single track. Can't say which one is my favorite yet.

Game of love stiill doesnt do anything for me... I just skip it now.

Everything else is great - even doin it right after a few listens.. Touch is pure eargasm-tier.

DominoKid

For what it's worth, the last 3 months have been huge for me personally with 6 MAJOR albums I was intensely looking forward to, with this being the last I got to hear:

New Bowie
New James Blake
New Phoenix
New Vampire Weekend
New National
New Daft Punk

RAM has grabbed me the most out of the 6, which frankly says A LOT, because all 6 have been damn superb. Great, great year so far.

Phoenix didnt pop for me this time around. I'll have to give it another shot sometime.

daviyoung

Banned
It's ok. I'd give it a solid 6/10 after first listen. Last track and the tracks that start at 19.00 and 23.00 are stand-outs for me. Giorgio song is embarrassing.

01. Give Life Back to Music very good
02. The Game of Love meh
03. Giorgio by Moroder Good
04. Within ok
05. Instant Crush very good
06. Lose Yourself to Dance very good
07. Touch good
08. Get Lucky very good
09. Beyond ok
10. Motherboard ok
11. Fragments of Time good
12. Doin’ It Right awesome
13. Contact awesome

Window

It's ok. I'd give it a solid 6/10 after first listen. Last track and the tracks that start at 19.00 and 23.00 are stand-outs for me. Giorgio song is embarrassing.

Instant crush and Lose yourself to dance?

As a random aside, the title Instant Crush makes me think of freshly squeezed juice for some reason.

Really warming up to Touch... listened to the album all day at work today and not sick of it.. so thats good thing, cos thats at least 6 hours repeating it !

01. Give Life Back to Music very good
02. The Game of Love meh
03. Giorgio by Moroder Good
04. Within ok
05. Instant Crush very good
06. Lose Yourself to Dance very good
07. Touch good
08. Get Lucky very good
09. Beyond ok
10. Motherboard ok
11. Fragments of Time good
12. Doin’ It Right awesome
13. Contact awesome

Ok, if we're doing this...

01. Give Life Back to Music Very good
02. The Game of Love Good
03. Giorgio by Moroder Awesome
04. Within OK
05. Instant Crush Very good
06. Lose Yourself to Dance Very good
07. Touch Awesome
08. Get Lucky Awesome
09. Beyond Very good
10. Motherboard OK
11. Fragments of Time Good
12. Doin’ It Right Very good
13. Contact Awesome

jtb

Banned
just to be clear... which is higher, awesome or very good? I'm assuming awesome, but you never know...

(stars for lyfe)

Courage

Ok, if we're doing this...

01. Give Life Back to Music Very good
02. The Game of Love Good
03. Giorgio by Moroder Awesome
04. Within OK
05. Instant Crush Very good
06. Lose Yourself to Dance Very good
07. Touch Awesome
08. Get Lucky Awesome
09. Beyond Very good
10. Motherboard OK
11. Fragments of Time Good
12. Doin’ It Right Very good
13. Contact Awesome

Exactly how I'd rate them.

MickD

01. Give Life Back to Music VERY GOOD
02. The Game of Love GOOD
03. Giorgio by Moroder VERY GOOD
04. Within NEEDS A FEW MORE LISTENS
05. Instant Crush 2ND FAVORITE
06. Lose Yourself to Dance FAVORITE
07. Touch IS THIS REAL LIFE
08. Get Lucky AWESOME
09. Beyond AWESOME
10. Motherboard GOOD
11. Fragments of Time 3RD FAVORITE - PERFECT
12. Doin’ It Right VERY GOOD
13. Contact SCARES ME

Ran rp

my first listen takes:
My Rating- (BOOM!, Awesome, Good, Ok, Meh, Bad)

1. “Give Life Back to Music” (featuring Nile Rodgers) Good
2. “The Game of Love” Meh
3. “Giorgio by Moroder” (featuring Giorgio Moroder)OK
4. “Within” (featuring Chilly Gonzales)Meh
5. “Instant Crush” (featuring Julian Casablancas)Awesome
6. “Lose Yourself to Dance” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers)Good
7. “Touch” (featuring Paul Williams)BOOM! like......BOOM!!!
8. “Get Lucky” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers)Good
9. “Beyond”Meh
10. “Motherboard” Awesome!
11. “Fragments of Time” (featuring Todd Edwards)OK
12. “Doin’ It Right” (featuring Panda Bear)Good
13. “Contact” (featuring DJ Falcon)Good

Yea, first listen, Motherboard and Touch caught my attention the most.

dunno how I feel about the album overall yet, though the Idea of an "Alive 2014" Album with this and Tron OST..... [change underpants]

Mine were:

1. “Give Life Back to Music” (featuring Nile Rodgers) Good
2. “The Game of Love” Okay
3. “Giorgio by Moroder” (featuring Giorgio Moroder) Okay
4. “Within” (featuring Chilly Gonzales) Why
5. “Instant Crush” (featuring Julian Casablancas) Dear God why
6. “Lose Yourself to Dance” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) Good... meh... Good... meh...
7. “Touch” (featuring Paul Williams) LOL
8. “Get Lucky” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) Good..bye
9. “Beyond” Good
10. “Motherboard” Nice!
11. “Fragments of Time” (featuring Todd Edwards) WAT
12. “Doin’ It Right” (featuring Panda Bear) Good
13. “Contact” (featuring DJ Falcon) That's... that's it?

The album as a whole:

tumblr_inline_mizqr7tjJD1qbqrtb.jpg

I'm a little disappointed with the album. I feel it didn't live up to the disco/funk vibe they were building up on. Maybe that's just me being disappointed with how they built my expectations. The album feels a bit safe to me. I'm fine with it's lack of electronic and processed/sampled elements. The album just feels a lot more mellow than I expected. A lot of the tracks are pretty simple and don't feel like they grow very much from beginning to end. I kinda wish they didn't do all of this collaboration stuff. I like the album more than Homework and definitely more than Human After All, but I don't think I'll be listening to this album as a whole very often like I do with Discovery. I'll most likely listen to the same 4-5 songs from the album and ignore the rest for the most part.

Seeing the side-taking around the internet is cringe-inducing though. People that don't like the album accuse those that do like it for being blind Daft Punk sheep. People that like the album accuse those that don't like it for being techno-junkies that can't live with the lack of wub-wub.

Top Bottom