• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Sallokin

I guess for people that like prog-music (prog-rock mainly in my case) the song is easy to digest, we are used to songs like Touch with multiple shifts in style and long songs that take awhile to build up. I mean it didn't took multiple listens for me to like it right away, first listen and I already loved it.

I think that's a fair assessment. It's definitely not something I've sought out and it's super unexpected after you hear the first 6 tracks and think you know where they're going next. That being said, I'm really glad they took that path.

Ran rp

I guess for people that like prog-music (prog-rock mainly in my case) the song is easy to digest, we are used to songs like Touch with multiple shifts in style and long songs that take awhile to build up. I mean it didn't took multiple listens for me to like it right away, first listen and I already loved it.

Yeah I love prog so Touch was easy to listen to, but I was shocked when I heard it the first time. I never expected Daft Punk to put something like that out.

I don't want anyone making music like that.

lol these comment are killing me.

Listen to Rollin and Scratchin, then listen to Touch.

These guys are getting old haha.

Its hard to notice because to most of us they'll always be ageless because of the robot suits.

I don't see it as them getting old but branching out into other genres of music that influence them. They aren't the best at it [Tron OST and Touch, etc] but the final product is still damn good and I respect their efforts and ambition.

I'm sure they could still make a killer house record if they wanted to.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
PSY・S;57772754 said:
I'm sure they could still make a killer house record if they wanted to.

if all indications are correct, then that's what this record started off as, but it was too easy for them and like they said "felt lazy" and that record got binned.

I like prog rock just fine. Touch is cheesy. The fact it's not got a conventional structure doesn't mean that the only thing to dislike is not being able to comprehend it. The problem is it's bad.

Servbot24

Banned
I like prog rock just fine. Touch is cheesy. The fact it's not got a conventional structure doesn't mean that the only thing to dislike is not being able to comprehend it. The problem is it's bad.

Yep. It tries so hard, but just ends up sounding like they've been listening to too many shitty Muse songs. Lots of flash, but it accomplishes nothing.

tanuki

Listen to Rollin and Scratchin, then listen to Touch.

These guys are getting old haha.

Its hard to notice because to most of us they'll always be ageless because of the robot suits.

Can't argue about getting older, but the end of Contact is just as intense as Rollin' & Scratchin'

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Saccharine is a good way to describe Touch. Not a fan, myself.

Saccharine implies it's sweet--it's not, it's desperate (and yeah, that kind of overt emotion does come off as pretty cheesy). Touch feels like a Gowan song by way of Daft Punk, which I think is a great thing.

I don't want anyone making music like that.

Well it's not your choice. Thankfully artists can decide for themselves what they want to make. As an audience member your only say is whether you like it or not (which of course shouldn't mean anything to the artist). The world does no cater to your whims and your tastes are not what everyone else's should be. There is a ton of art out there, your better off looking for what you like rather than harping on the things you don't. Especially when it comes to music where you can feel a connection within seconds.

Ran rp

Cheese is fine when you don't take it too seriously. Touch doesn't blow me away but it's not bad.

Yep. It tries so hard, but just ends up sounding like they've been listening to too many shitty Muse songs. Lots of flash, but it accomplishes [PSY・S abuse]nothing. little.

That's how I feel about Giorgio by Mororder and Contact too. They work for the most part, but they aren't as impressive or mind-blowing like others have been saying in the thread. (IMO, of course)

PSY・S;57682470 said:
Mine were:

1. “Give Life Back to Music” (featuring Nile Rodgers) Good --> Good
2. “The Game of Love” Okay --> Good
3. “Giorgio by Moroder” (featuring Giorgio Moroder) Okay --> Goodish
4. “Within” (featuring Chilly Gonzales) Why --> Bad
5. “Instant Crush” (featuring Julian Casablancas) Dear God why --> Good, but out of place
6. “Lose Yourself to Dance” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) Good... meh... Good... meh... --> Good
7. “Touch” (featuring Paul Williams) LOL --> LOL
8. “Get Lucky” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) Good..bye --> Good
9. “Beyond” Good --> Good
10. “Motherboard” Nice! --> Nice!
11. “Fragments of Time” (featuring Todd Edwards) WAT --> Fav
12. “Doin’ It Right” (featuring Panda Bear) Good --> Good
13. “Contact” (featuring DJ Falcon) That's... that's it? --> It supplements the last four tracks nicely, but that's it really.

The album as a whole:

tumblr_inline_mizqr7tjJD1qbqrtb.jpg
-->
not-bad-meme.jpg

My first impressions of each song vs how I feel about them now. It's pretty much the same, but those last five tracks together really make the album for me.

Has anyone on here ever seen Daft Punk live in person?

Saw them when they performed in LA in 07.

Going in without knowing what to expect made it best live show I've ever seen to date.

iirc I saw Roger waters perform DSotM a little bit before that. 07 was a good year for me as far as concerts went.

amnesiac

Saw them when they performed in LA in 07.

Going in without knowing what to expect made it best live show I've ever seen to date.

If Alive 2017 does happen, I probably will have to drive to another state since they only seem to perform at festivals... I'm still trying to figure out how they are able to pull off the stuff they do in Alive 2007 in real time.

I'm visiting my parents in the boonies of Florida and as I was driving to their home "Contact" comes on...

Now I'm on a really long stretch of road and by the time the craziness peaks I look down on my speedometer and I'm going 100 mph.

Whoops.

If Alive 2017 does happen, I probably will have to drive to another state since they only seem to perform at festivals... I'm still trying to figure out how they are able to pull off the stuff they do in Alive 2007 in real time.

I have no reason to believe that if they tour again it won't be a stadium tour. I think they started with a festival tour in 06 and made it to a stadium tour in 07 because the show I went to was Daft Punk specific.

DominoKid

the Touch hate...smh. that Giorgio track up there is niiiiiiiiiiiice.

my favorite bit from that P4K outtakes
P4K said:
The first time Bangalter played RAM for DJ Falcon in his studio, the speakers blew out as the album's last track, "Contact", came to its climactic finale. "You don't need speakers anymore!" Falcon, who co-produced "Contact", recalls saying. "Let's burn the studio!"

Kinda funny to hear Diplo the Culture Vulture talk shit. I like dude's music but FOH, on his best day he couldn't compare.

Ran rp

RAM definitely isn't as accessible as the other albums, but that's alright with me. It's the same deal with Animal Collective's Centipede Hz. I kind of have to get myself in the mood to listen to them, but when I'm in I know I'm going to have a great time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Diplo: “The song with todd edwards makes me feel like I’m alone at waffle house and the jukebox is broken and only micheal mcdonald plays out of it.”

Yeah, that's my whole thing too. I'll add that 80's sitcom credits should be scrolling over freeze frames of Gary Coleman, too.

cdyhybrid

PSY・S;57780286 said:
RAM definitely isn't as accessible as the other albums, but that's alright with me. It's the same deal with Animal Collective's Centipede Hz. I kind of have to get myself in the mood to listen to them, but when I'm in I know I'm going to have a great time.

But I was told that this would be entry level music!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I just listened to a song he produced, express yourself. I can see why he is bitter, his music is just shit.

I only know the dude from that gif that posted often.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Diplo has some hits though. I'll be seing major lazer at the mad decent block party in Philly. We can just agree to disagree on the DP album. I can't get down with all his stuff either.

Top Bottom