• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

SKINNER!

Banned
When I got into daft punk I had no idea about their persona. This was before Kanye worked with them, mind you.

Abroad visiting family, I once stayed up late watching MTV Asia trying to catch reruns of Beavis and Butthead back in 2001/2002. What came on beforehand? Daft Punk's Interstella 5555 music video of Aerodynamic. That was my first experience of Daft Punk and it certainly was memorable. At the time, I was getting into Cowboy Bebop and GitS and my only interest in electronic/dance music was Fatboy Slim (Still is alongside Daft Punk. I'm more into Rock/Metal/Hiphop). Coming home, I frequently heard One More Time and Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger at the gym. Something About Us and Digital Love became my personal summer songs. This is probably why I prefer Discovery over Homework because it reminds me of that time. Kanye's Stronger made me check out College Dropout because I thoroughly enjoyed his use of that Daft Punk song. Human After All came out and I wasn't too chuffed with it but it's still a great album. What I like about RAM is that it's not only a mixed bag of genres but also a throwback to the 80s disco/electronic stuff. It should've been obvious to people that RAM wasn't going to be anything like their earlier stuff the second they watched that Get Lucky promo at Coachella.

Joe

When I first heard Around The World as a kid on MTV2 I fell in love, the song was amazing - it was their video (their image) that I thought fucking sucked.

jtb

Banned
Daft Punk worked with both Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry on Homework. They need to be doing soundtracks for them (preferably with a Charlie Kaufman script) rather than trash like Tron.

Metrotab

Banned
Just listened to the full album. As someone who 'feels' music more than analyses it, I'm not gonna write paragraphs about it, but I just wanna drop some short thoughts:

- I really like how varied this album is in sound. It doesn't bore because each song brings something new.

- I think "Give Life Back to Music" is one of the best intro tracks I've ever heard. Not only does it sum up the 'mission statement' well, it really gets you into the mood to go on this musical journey with DP. First tracks are crucial to make or break the mood, and this song does it really well.

- As someone who is only marginally familiar with the many collaborators, I enjoyed their presence, being worried about them beforehand. Nile Rodgers' guitar playing is excellent. I am surprised at how much I like Panda Bears' contribution, despite him being the most 'alternative' of the collaborators.

- The only song I'm not feeling right now is Motherboard. It's a pretty weird track.

- One of my favorite moments on the album is in Lose Yourself to Dance, when all the robot vocals start singing together. Gets me fired up. It also reminded me of More Bounce to the Ounce from GTA Vice City.

- I believe DP said something about wanting to make robot voices human. I found Within a really good example of that. It's a harrowingly beautiful song. It's odd how it fits the album despite being rather minimalistic.

- Discovery is a fantastic album, and I think it will always be considered Daft Punk's best. I love the hell out of it, and god knows how many times I've listened to it. But I actually like RAM even better.

Now to read this 70 pages thread!

Baby Milo

Chilly Gonzales on the potential impact of Random Access Memories: "It will lead many musicians out of the cul-de-sac they currently face. And those that do not understand will be cursed to make disposable music on laptops forever."

tumblr_m2s58kk6eo1qk0ss6o1_400.gif

jett

D-Member
I wonder if I'd even hear a different between CD-quality and "Studio Master" with the on-board sound of my PC and my Sennheiser 555s.. :p

andylsun

I wonder if I'd even hear a different between CD-quality and "Studio Master" with the on-board sound of my PC and my Sennheiser 555s.. :p

There will be less compression and limiting on the studio master. It will sound more dynamic. This will be in addition to 24/96 (I hope).

I'm not convinced I can tell the difference between 16/44 and 24/96 with the same source, but the differences in dynamics should be noticeable

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Time to update my Top 15 Daft Tracks.

1- High Life (Discovery)
2- Alive (Homework)
3- Too Long (Discovery)
4- Touch (RAM)
5- Emotion (Human after All)
6- Solar Sailor (TRoN OST)
7- High Fidelity (Homework)
8- Superheroes (Discovery)
9- Human After All (Human After All)

10- Motherboard (RAM)
11- Rollin n Scratching (Homework)
12- Prime Time of Your Life (Human After All)
13- Voyager (Discovery)
14- Digital Love (Discovery)
15-Technologic(Human After All)

after few more go at the album, Touch and Motherboard are standouts to me. Heavy rotation this summer. As it stands,

I think its Daft Punk's worst album, a lot of the songs felt like they were put together sloppily. Too many instances of "OMG this is hot, this is...oh wait its changing...its..wut...interesting ....I guess" and vice versa. I predict/hope for some hot remixes and an Alive 20Something to salvage some of this.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Daft Punk worked with both Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry on Homework. They need to be doing soundtracks for them (preferably with a Charlie Kaufman script) rather than trash like Tron.

I enjoyed Tron: Legacy, one of my guilty pleasures. It's an aural and visual orgy.

Hmm, I don't feel that soul. It's like they were so calculated in the way they emulated soulful music that in the end they lost the actual soul of it. Also there are tons of people making chill dance music with way more feeling than this. In fact there are so many that I'm getting really sick of some of it.

I do kinda get what you're talking about. The more I listen to it, the more it feels like Discovery had more soul than this record, but that had a lot of samples of great bands, this one they got the people they would sample to write something, and I am not sure if it's worked as well.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Pretty funny that the first minute of Contact is copy-pasted from that random 80's song, an Australian band was it?

bomma_man

If I was Spike I wouldn't hire them based on Tron, it's painfully mediocre.

GAFfers not familiar with the term "EDM" = ignorant idiots.

Daft Punk not familiar with the term "EDM" = dawwww.

lol

Homework>>Discovery>>>RAM>>>>>>>Tron (never listened to HAA)

Time to update my Top 15 Daft Tracks.

1- High Life (Discovery)
2- Alive (Homework)
3- Too Long (Discovery)
4- Touch (RAM)
5- Emotion (Human after All)
6- Solar Sailor (TRoN OST)
7- High Fidelity (Homework)
8- Superheroes (Discovery)
9- Human After All (Human After All)

10- Motherboard (RAM)
11- Rollin n Scratching (Homework)
12- Prime Time of Your Life (Human After All)
13- Voyager (Discovery)
14- Digital Love (Discovery)
15-Technologic(Human After All)

after few more go at the album, Touch and Motherboard are standouts to me. Heavy rotation this summer. As it stands,

I think its Daft Punk's worst album, a lot of the songs felt like they were put together sloppily. Too many instances of "OMG this is hot, this is...oh wait its changing...its..wut...interesting ....I guess" and vice versa. I predict/hope for some hot remixes and an Alive 20Something to salvage some of this.

I went ahead and made a top 20 songs list of my own. Not gonna rank them as its not fair for me (and I'm on an iPad).

Top 20 Daft Punk songs

+ Revolution 909 (Homework)
+ Da Funk (Homework)
+ Digital Love (Discovery)
+ Crecendolls (Discovery)
+ Superheroes (Discovery)
+ High Life (Discovery)
+ Voyager (Discovery)
+ Veridis Quo (Discovery)
+ Face to Face (Discovery)
+ Too Long (Discovery)
+ Television Rules the Nation/Crescendolls (Alive 2007)
+ Too Long/Steam Machine (Alive 2007)
+ Overture (Tron Legcy)
+ The Grid (Tron Legacy)
+ Recogniser (Tron Legacy)
+ Solar Sailor (Tron Legacy)
+ C.L.U (Tron Legacy)
+ Arrival (Tron Legacy)
+ Lose Yourself to Dance (RAM)
+ Get Lucky (RAM)

Joe

My ratings that no one cares about

In context of current 2013 music: 10/10

In context of Daft Punk's previous work: 7.5/10

In context of modern EDM music: 10/10

Overall: 8.5/10

One thing I love about RAM is that it feels like a proper album. From start to finish its a real album. Most modern electronic music albums are just a few songs and a bunch of bs in between.

Shaneus

I do kinda get what you're talking about. The more I listen to it, the more it feels like Discovery had more soul than this record, but that had a lot of samples of great bands, this one they got the people they would sample to write something, and I am not sure if it's worked as well.
Both this post and the one you quoted make sense. I guess that's what happens if people who traditionally make "soulless" music on laptops (I'm paraphrasing here) try to make a live music album... it'll still have those inherent clinicalities (is that even a word?) in it. Which is why Get Lucky was so easy for people to remix. They talk about how the ear can tell whether something's looped repeatedly or played live, but with most of the tracks on the album you really can't tell if a live instrument is being looped or not. And to the majority, making a full song out of a 15 second loop (or parts of a 3:30s track) don't sound like they're any more or less "live"... just look at the remixes that are out there.

There will be less compression and limiting on the studio master. It will sound more dynamic. This will be in addition to 24/96 (I hope).

I'm not convinced I can tell the difference between 16/44 and 24/96 with the same source, but the differences in dynamics should be noticeable

Unless the mastering is different, there should be no detectable difference. There are some arguments stating that 44.1KHz as a sample rate wasn't enough to fully avoid aliasing in music, which is why movies use/d 48KHz as a standard, but 24/96 is (completely making this number up) like 99% overkill.

Me though? I will be buying (or obtaining otherwise, if no website gives me a legal purchasing option in the United States - I'm not going to move to France to be able to buy from a website) the 24/96 Studio Master version as well, because, as it turns out, I'm irrational, and completely get it. :)

Shaneus

I think this is what you meant
Not at all. There is a "Groundbreaking Electronic Music" thread on GAF. Not long ago, an "EDM" thread was created, and when the regulars from the Groundbreaking thread enquired why it was created, it was because "EDM" wasn't being posted in said Groundbreaking thread. Groundbreakers didn't know what "EDM" was, because they didn't know what was or wasn't considered "EDM". Confusion ensued.

So yeah, I knew what I meant. I wish it was the other way around, but there you go.

Unless the mastering is different, there should be no detectable difference. There are some arguments stating that 44.1KHz as a sample rate wasn't enough to fully avoid aliasing in music, which is why movies use/d 48KHz as a standard, but 24/96 is (completely making this number up) like 99% overkill.

Me though? I will be buying (or obtaining otherwise, if no website gives me a legal purchasing option in the United States - I'm not going to move to France to be able to buy from a website) the 24/96 Studio Master version as well, because, as it turns out, I'm irrational, and completely get it. :)
But it'll never sound the same as vinyl, man. You kids these days just don't get it, man!

Top Bottom