• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
You don't even have to try, just let the stargate sequence play with no edits.

Jedi2016

Well, I like it. I think I'm a little at odds with the majority in terms of which songs I like, but overall I'm really enjoying this. Definitely picking this up. Need to try to find the 24-bit version somewhere.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
As an aside that's sort of appropriate in a DP thread...my first exposure to 2001 was when I borrowed a friends' recorded-off-tv VHS of Star Wars, and after the credits, this really strange stuff smears onto the screen. Now I know it was the stargate sequence at the end of 2001, but my 14-year old brain didn't know what the fuck was happening. That and the sequence with old Dave and the starchild at the end and I was utterly transfixed, lol.

bomma_man

Just listened to Discovery for the first time in, like, 5 years.

It shits on this from a great height, seriously.

Face to Face is sooo good.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't how Thomas and Guy are on a personality level, but to me it still feels like this album is an attempt at trying to distinguish themselves from others. No other Daft Punk album felt like that, it was never revolutionary but it was always fresh. HAA, while generally not liked as much much, didn't feel like them trying to be someone else. The material also ended up being pretty memorable and worked perfectly in the Alive tour; it all worked together well. This album doesn't seem fresh in the sense that it's not another step on the same road but a step in a different direction, yet my impression is that they chose this direction just because they wanted to be on their own; to say "we're not like the others, except those we are buddies with".

When I hear Doin It Right and Get Lucky I feel there was far more potential than what was delivered, and in a way that's not very different than how HAA was on that end. Hopefully some of the tracks will find their way into better ensembles later on, which did happen with HAA once "reworked" into Alive.

edit: I hate Face To Face and Too Long lol. The beats are great but it's the voice that ruins those for me.

RoKKeR

Hehhhhhh....they're different. Like the poster above said, depends on what you want.

Personally, I love the live instrumentation and the overall "jam session" quality that a lot of these songs have. Also exploring a bunch of various genres in music all under one electronic roof is great.

bomma_man

all the hipsters on this thread will say otherwise.

I'd say, going by the tortured definition of hipster I always hear, that they'd say they like their old stuff or think that this is too 'mainstream'??

Fuck that word.

Nah bro

Really depends on what you want out of an album

Housish music? Discovery

Disco/Soulful music? RAM

This is such a strawman argument that I keep seeing in this thread. I love disco and soul (I've been listening to Chic and Hercules and Love affair all morning for fuck sake), RAM just doesn't do them very well. I was massively excited for Daft Punk does disco.

Hehhhhhh....they're different. Like the poster above said, depends on what you want.

Personally, I love the live instrumentation and the overall "jam session" quality that a lot of these songs have. Also exploring a bunch of various genres in music all under one electronic roof is great.

It sounds way too precise and clinical to me for it to be anything like a 'jam'. Not that that's inherently a bad thing mind you.

Most of the songs on RAM feel like they could have been something greater. It's what's keeping it from reaching Discovery status for me.

Agreed.

mattiewheels

I realized I love Face To Face so much because they're subliminally feeding me Electric Light Orchestra, I'm helpless to that.

PSY・S;57821048 said:
Most of the songs on RAM feel like they could have been something greater. It's what's keeping it from reaching Discovery status for me.

Have a feeling you'll get a remix album from this material that suits your needs.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
For those who had never heard how much Discovery is sampled http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Ndijo2ysM

My guess has been that they have been trying to move away from oversampling since then, but the result has been what they have produced since. Discovery's strength was really principally based on the samples they used, which often weren't mere samples dropped here and there but the foundation of the beat itself, little changed.

RAM feels like them trying to make Discovery without oversampling.

RoKKeR

It sounds way too precise and clinical to me for it to be anything like a 'jam'. Not that that's inherently a bad thing mind you.
I agree, but there are some parts that feel incredibly genuine to me, (Get Lucky extended intro) and when you throw those on top of the controlled/clinical base it adds another level of intrigue.

Obviously a large majority of the album is, like you said, precise, but to me at least there are certain points where it has the quality of a 'jam', which is great.

Ran rp

I realized I love Face To Face so much because they're subliminally feeding me Electric Light Orchestra, I'm helpless to that.

Have a feeling you'll get a remix album from this material that suits your needs.

A remix isn't what I want. A lot of the the songs feel like they're missing that special something that would bring it to the next level, fall flat due to mediocre vocals/another element, or like others have said, feel too forced/calculated.

Not much of a fan of Alive 2007 btw (haven't heard 97). I still prefer the original tracks.

pxleyes

Banned
Turned my 64 year old mother on to the album. She already preordered it. Just a little counter point to the cynicism I'm seeing in this thread. This album is full of good emotions.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Turned my 64 year old mother on to the album. She already preordered it. Just a little counter point to the cynicism I'm seeing in this thread. This album is full of good emotions.

maybe baby milo was right :eek:

amnesiac

Contact is amazing, and the Animal Collective song is good too. Im pretty sure ill hate the other 10 tracks. But I like Daft Punk, so what do I know?

jett

D-Member
Lossless through good headphones is the only way to listen to this album. Takes on a whole new life.

You aren't talking about the vinyl rip, are you? I listened to Give Life Back to Music. What I noticed was some constant clipping and noise. Awful.

I really need the CD already so I can rip it to FLAC myself and do away with the work of useless turds.

subrock

You aren't talking about the vinyl rip, are you? I listened to Give Life Back to Music. What I noticed was some constant clipping and noise. Awful.

I really need the CD already so I can rip it to FLAC myself and do away with the work of useless turds.

not the vinyl rip no. I am noticing some clipping on the version I'm listening to though, right at the beginning of a lot of the quieter songs.

Daft Punk worked with both Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry on Homework. They need to be doing soundtracks for them (preferably with a Charlie Kaufman script) rather than trash like Tron.

What Adaptation needed was "Derezzed"

Yup. That would've pushed the movie over the top.

Shaneus

I'd say, going by the tortured definition of hipster I always hear, that they'd say they like their old stuff or think that this is too 'mainstream'??

Fuck that word.

This is such a strawman argument that I keep seeing in this thread. I love disco and soul (I've been listening to Chic and Hercules and Love affair all morning for fuck sake), RAM just doesn't do them very well. I was massively excited for Daft Punk does disco.

Agreed.
All of this.

PSY・S;57822234 said:
A remix isn't what I want. A lot of the the songs feel like they're missing that special something that would bring it to the next level, fall flat due to mediocre vocals/another element, or like others have said, feel too forced/calculated.

Not much of a fan of Alive 2007 btw (haven't heard 97). I still prefer the original tracks.
Know how Daft Punk could make up for the people like us who bitch about RAM? Release all the stems and see what comes of it. I don't know if they're the sort of guys who would do that or are too precious about their work, but given the quality of the remixes/re-edits that people have released so far of only one track, it'd get a whole lot more people enthusiastic about their efforts, albeit through different goggles.

jett

D-Member
The three-way bass/drum/scratching breakdown in Giorgio might be my favorite part of the album. I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate RAM, your loss bitchz.

not the vinyl rip no. I am noticing some clipping on the version I'm listening to though, right at the beginning of a lot of the quieter songs.

I'm gonna assume they're both from the same source. I think it's best to stick to the itunes stream until the actual thing hits.

subrock

I'm gonna assume they're both from the same source. I think it's best to stick to the itunes stream until the actual thing hits.

Different sources actually which is confusing me as to why I am hearing the distortion on the 2 different versions of the same song. Maybe its VLC's problem.

edit: yep, checked in Ableton and its fine. I guess VLC isn't the best at FLAC.

Ran rp

All of this.

Know how Daft Punk could make up for the people like us who bitch about RAM? Release all the stems and see what comes of it. I don't know if they're the sort of guys who would do that or are too precious about their work, but given the quality of the remixes/re-edits that people have released so far of only one track, it'd get a whole lot more people enthusiastic about their efforts, albeit through different goggles.

I'd like to see that. That'd be a good way to influence other artists instead of hoping everyone will be elevated by RAM like Gonzales was saying.

jett

D-Member
Different sources actually which is confusing me as to why I am hearing the distortion on the 2 different versions of the same song. Maybe its VLC's problem.

edit: yep, checked in Ableton and its fine. I guess VLC isn't the best at FLAC.

You're right, it's different sources. BUT...I can almost believe the FLAC "CD" source is just the itunes stream. Too bad I can't load apple's DRM crap on audacity to prove it. :p
edit: In fact, I'm sure of it now that I think about it. It has the the same boosted volume as the itunes version of Get Lucky(and the stream), and doesn't resemble at all what Giorgio posted:

OoAP4bx.png

So no, the actual CD hasn't leaked yet, I think.

Salsa

my dad was diggin get lucky, made him listen to the full album today and he loved it

he's a big donna summer fan and loves Paul Williams, but hates most electronic music, so: cool!

mattiewheels

Game of Love is so much more interesting than Fragments of Time's dadrock exercise, that I'm surprised people call it weak.

And the first few times I heard the 'interview' part of Giorgio I thought it was awkward, but it's a great part of the song. His voice is so musical.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You're right, it's different sources. BUT...I can almost believe the FLAC "CD" source is just the itunes stream. Too bad I can't load apple's DRM crap on audacity to prove it. :p
edit: In fact, I'm sure of it now that I think about it. It has the the same boosted volume as the itunes version of Get Lucky(and the stream), and doesn't resemble at all what Giorgio posted:

OoAP4bx.png

So no, the actual CD hasn't leaked yet, I think.

Considering big private music places haven't ripped the FLAC down because the spectrals are clean and there is a full log file of the CD Rip I'd say it's the CD version alright.

Wynnebeck

Banned
PSY・S;57825840 said:
I'd like to see that. That'd be a good way to influence other artists instead of hoping everyone will be elevated by RAM like Gonzales was saying.

Nah. People are going to remix this album anyway. This album should serve as a notice to the EDM world that you need to step your game up and get on this level because you are nowhere near it.

okdakor

Why is the "Qualité CD" more expensive than the studio master?

EDIT: What format are studio masters distributed in?

I think it's just a promo price for the preorder.

And about the formats, here's what I get when I download "get lucky" (If I'm right, once you've paid for a format, you can also get the lesser ones, for free) :

Studio Masters
AIFF (24 bits - 88.2 kHz)
WAV (24 bits - 88.2 kHz)
WMA Lossless (24 bits - 88.2 kHz)
ALAC (24 bits - 88.2 kHz)
FLAC (24 bits - 88.2 kHz)

Vraie qualité CD (Lossless)
FLAC (16 bits - 44.1 kHz)
ALAC (16 bits - 44.1 kHz)
WMA Lossless (16 bits - 44.1 kHz)
WAV (16 bits - 44.1 kHz)
AIFF (16 bits - 44.1 kHz)

Qualité standard (Lossy 320)
MP3 (CBR à 320 kbps)
WMA (CBR à 320 kbps)
AAC (CBR à 320 kbps)
OGG Vorbis (Q9 à ~320 kbps)

Qualité légère (Lossy 128)
MP3 (CBR à 128 kbps)
WMA (CBR à 128 kbps)
AAC (CBR à 128 kbps)
OGG Vorbis (Q5 à ~160 kbps)

I absolutely love the album. I look at it from the perspective of, "hey, daft punk kind of wanted to make a funk album with some real instruments and they did it and it turned out pretty cool." I can understand why people who are huge daft punk fans are disappointed that it's not more on the EDM side of things, and not continuing daft punk's "narrative" or something, but for what it is, I think it's really cool. It's a fun album.

Also, while listening to it for the first couple of times through, I couldn't help but feel that it was very "soundtrack-y" at points, and after reading that they kind of started work on it around the time that they started working on Tron: Legacy, that makes sense.

My only gripe is that I think "Lose Yourself to Dance" is just TERRIBLE. Pharrell is great on Get Lucky, but he's just singing in this terrible falsetto on LYTD and I can't stand it. Easily my least favorite track.

But Contact, man...Just wow. I don't think that track gets enough love. Might actually be one of my favorite songs of all time.

Top Bottom