• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Dreweyes

Hey guys! Thanks again for all the support for my last tee!
I've got another limited edition Daft Punk t-shirt, this time up at www.Teefury.com!

Get Lucky & Roll Out! ♥

NF0kbUp.gif

Hieberrr

After listening to Motherboard, Lose Yourself to Dance, and Fragments of Time over and over again (literally just on repeat all day long), I went back and listened to Give Life Back To Music. Holy crap, so good.

Perfect mix of guitar and bass (drums).

Anyone able to figure out which woodwinds are playing in Motherboard? I hear it in 4 note breaks, Clarinet, Flute, Oboe, Flute, etc. So good. I love the otherworldly almost tribal bounciness to this track, and it flows nicely out of Beyond, too.

Year 4000 indeed.

SKINNER!

Banned
Hey guys! Thanks again for all the support for my last tee!
I've got another limited edition Daft Punk t-shirt, this time up at www.Teefury.com!

Get Lucky & Roll Out! ♥

NF0kbUp.gif

Holy shit! Someone on my facebook feed posted the glow in the dark T-shirt the other day. Had no idea it was designed by a Gaffer. Missed my chance to pick it up but these ones look just as sweet.

cdyhybrid

I absolutely love the album. I look at it from the perspective of, "hey, daft punk kind of wanted to make a funk album with some real instruments and they did it and it turned out pretty cool." I can understand why people who are huge daft punk fans are disappointed that it's not more on the EDM side of things, and not continuing daft punk's "narrative" or something, but for what it is, I think it's really cool. It's a fun album.

Also, while listening to it for the first couple of times through, I couldn't help but feel that it was very "soundtrack-y" at points, and after reading that they kind of started work on it around the time that they started working on Tron: Legacy, that makes sense.

My only gripe is that I think "Lose Yourself to Dance" is just TERRIBLE. Pharrell is great on Get Lucky, but he's just singing in this terrible falsetto on LYTD and I can't stand it. Easily my least favorite track.

But Contact, man...Just wow. I don't think that track gets enough love. Might actually be one of my favorite songs of all time.

Contact got plenty of love in this thread :p

Servbot24

Banned
I think Instant Crush might be the only song on the album I even like anymore :(

Lose Yourself to Dance is so thoroughly unwilling to lose itself its just awful :(
The whole album sounds like it was made by robots who think they've discovered a formula to make soulful dance music - the disaster therein should be self-explanatory

You really gotta step your troll game up, bruh. This is some entry level trolling.

are you intending to imply that Daft Punk's image is completely unrelated to their popularity?

I'm not saying it's impossible to like Daft Punk for their music, but their visual gimmick is the reason they are more popular than the many, many people of equal talent nobody on GAF talks about.

Servbot24

Banned
are you intending to imply that Daft Punk's image is completely unrelated to their popularity?

I'm not saying it's impossible to like Daft Punk for their music, but their visual gimmick is the reason they are more popular than the many, many people of equal talent nobody on GAF talks about.

So true. Imagine if Daft Punk had made the Classixx record for example. I can't even imagine how bonkers GAF would be going.

So true. Imagine if Daft Punk had made the Classixx record for example. I can't even imagine how bonkers GAF would be going.
As much as it's true that some people wouldn't be heralding this album as the second coming if not for it having been made by robots in sequinned suits with impeccable marketing chops, it's also true that some people wouldn't be trying so hard to make it known that they don't like it for much the same reason.

Just listened to Discovery for the first time in, like, 5 years.

It shits on this from a great height, seriously.

Face to Face is sooo good.
Yeah, yesterday I watched Interstella 5555 with my daughter, age 4. It's just so hard to top Discovery because it has the benefit of being a familiar classic, and this is new stuff that doesn't even have videos yet.

A while back Interstella was her favorite movie for a month or so, and obviously I'm on a Daft Punk kick right now. So we were watching it and she was explaining it to me.

At one point, I asked her what was happening, and she said "Nothing. But that's a laser." Pretty harsh. The other money quote was "They're putting things on him, and dirt. So he can turn into a new guy."

Ran rp

cdyhybrid is replying to the post where you pull this crap

It's hard not to be when Daft Punk are so gimmicky in their presentation. Their helmets are 99% of the reason this thread is so popular.

And follow that up with

It's a fact.

The other 1% is Kanye West.

No one is saying that their image hasn't played a large role in their popularity, and don't act like you weren't trying to annoy people with your posts.

Shaneus

Yeah, yesterday I watched Interstella 5555 with my daughter, age 4. It's just so hard to top Discovery because it has the benefit of being a familiar classic, and this is new stuff that doesn't even have videos yet.

A while back Interstella was her favorite movie for a month or so, and obviously I'm on a Daft Punk kick right now. So we were watching it and she was explaining it to me.

At one point, I asked her what was happening, and she said "Nothing. But that's a laser." Pretty harsh. The other money quote was "They're putting things on him, and dirt. So he can turn into a new guy."
Your daughter likes a Daft Punk movie at age 4. You're a great father and I feel confident about the future of humanity <3

IceCold

It's hard not to be when Daft Punk are so gimmicky in their presentation. Their helmets are 99% of the reason this thread is so popular.

Not really. Daft Punk was popular before the robots idea was created. Homework was successful and full of classics. But what really made them popular was the Alive 2007 tour and people sampling them. And actually if RAM was made by someone else I would have liked it even more.

IceCold

By the way, does anybody know songs with a similar beat to the intro beat of Giorgio by Moroder (when Giorgio is speaking). The beat is so groooovy

Metrotab

Banned
After listening to Touch for the second time, really paying attention to all the stuff going on, I can only say it's an amazing composition. The choir especially gives it another dimension.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Giorgio is one of the best things that happened to me

Addi

Face to Face was my favorite track on Discovery, Fragments of Time is unfortunately the only song on RAM I don't feel at all. Maybe I should chill in the sun and listen to it again.

Top Bottom