• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Wubby

After a lot more listens, I think Instant Crush is my favorite song on this album.

Contact is sorta becoming grating after a while, I still like it but I usually switch to something else at the end.

Instant Crush has definitely become my favorite. It's the one song I keep going back to for more. I skip Contact now.

tanuki

I really like the vocals in Doin It Right, it's like pet sounds era Brian Wilson jammin with the robots.

The robots are the rest of the Beach Boys being vocodered, that's the feeling I get from that song now. Something like the backing vocals in This Whole World. I'm into this song in a big way.

I think my favourite bit in the entire album is I the ridiculous bit in Touch at 3:25 when the showtime disco piano starts. It shouldn't work, it's so cheesy. But damn, it's good cheese.

LevelNth

Banned
Despite it being the worst magazine in the world, one of the guys at SPIN made a great analogy about this record, in that it is currently being received almost identically to how Air's 10,000 Hz Legend was, which itself was not what people were expecting going in, was considered too mellow and 'musical' to be dance appropriate like Sexy Boy, and had claims that it was completely devoid of Air's 'identity'.

I specifically remember all that. "What the hell with the Beck collaboration?!".

Sure enough, it's one of, if not the, my fav Air albums, is looked upon FAR more favorably by all these so called 'critics', and completely paved the way for their unique styling throughout their albums.

Imagine that.

Daft_Cat

Ok, so my initial impression is that RAM is definitely better than Human After All...which basically means I think it's at the very least a good album.

That said, it can't really fuck with Discovery and Homework...or maybe it can? My feelings shift with every listen.

tanuki

So true. Imagine if Daft Punk had made the Classixx record for example. I can't even imagine how bonkers GAF would be going.

As someone who was looking forward to the Classixx album based on their previous singles and remixes, I was so disappointed with how underwhelming that album turned out.

Now if Daft Punk had made Breakbot's album, I can imagine everyone going crazy.

contact isnt bad but i have to be in a certain mood for it. i wasnt big on giorgio at first but i really enjoy the hell out of it now.

the only song i dont really like much is within, and thats still a pretty good track.

i feel like most people will have a new best/worst list every few days, depending on the mood, weather, what have you. i know i probably will.

Lose Yourself To Dance is so good. It's like chill dancing music.

tumblr_mbym1c4JMR1rrlrnjo1_500.gif

Phillip E.

Neo Member
This is a surprisingly cohesive album despite the title. With that said, I absolutely love Touch and Giorgio by Moroder. I am surprised by the overwhelming love of Contact here as I find it to be utterly stale compared to the rest of the album.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Despite it being the worst magazine in the world, one of the guys at SPIN made a great analogy about this record, in that it is currently being received almost identically to how Air's 10,000 Hz Legend
Good analogy, I personally am not into Moon Safari that much because 10000hz Legend was my first AIR album, but that one left a lot of fans cold. Funny, since that album had the cheesy retro-scifi landscapes that make you think of Daft Punk these days.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
LET THE MUSIC IN TONIGHT

JUST TURN ON THE MUSIC

LET THE MUSIC OF YOUR LIFE

GIVE LIFE BACK TO MUSIC

seriously it's the song I keep coming back to, the guitar lick by Nile Rodgers is amazing the best of the 3 he was in.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Despite it being the worst magazine in the world, one of the guys at SPIN made a great analogy about this record, in that it is currently being received almost identically to how Air's 10,000 Hz Legend was, which itself was not what people were expecting going in, was considered too mellow and 'musical' to be dance appropriate like Sexy Boy, and had claims that it was completely devoid of Air's 'identity'.

I specifically remember all that. "What the hell with the Beck collaboration?!".

Sure enough, it's one of, if not the, my fav Air albums, is looked upon FAR more favorably by all these so called 'critics', and completely paved the way for their unique styling throughout their albums.

Imagine that.
Yep, it's my favorite Air album as well. I could see RAM following in those steps...

jokkir

COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON

LOSE YOURSELF TO DANCE

COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON

Instant Crush has definitely become my favorite. It's the one song I keep going back to for more. I skip Contact now.

Yep, some people keep saying Doin it Right is their favorite, but Instant Crush is really fun for me.

Honestly, I don't feel like enough songs have Disco in it. I mean, Sure, it's cool that they have Gorgio talking in a track, but I just want the music. I want to "Lose myself in Dance."

For example, Touch is a fan-fucking tastic track. Great composition, sounds amazing, but it doesn't meet my disco needs. =[

EDIT:
Any way for a 24hz purchase for NA? Any links?

Raiden

Banned
Honestly, this thread reminds me why I hate the ever growing influence of music critique since the 90's. I hope many in this thread truly understand that they are looking at this record, after a 72 hour sampling, in comparison to records that they have been able to ingest for 8, 12 and 16 years.

Like many here, I awaited and bought Discovery the day it came out. 12 years ago. I can understand if your expectations were too high, you were expecting/wanting something like Discovery etc., or whatever. But this focus on which record is better, how good is it, is it innovative, etc., that is permeating our art culture today is horseplop. Straight horseplop.

Frankly, it's why we have so many examples of Discovery getting middling reviews, then in hindsight after a good deal of time ingesting the music, it's heralded as one of the best records in a 10 year span. It's hilarious how many of those examples you can find, and how they completely destroy the point of critiquing music RIGHT AWAY.

Now, I'm not saying all you guys will come around and love it, of course not. Many won't I'm sure. But give it time, take it easy, don't let mainstream, pointless archetypes like hype, rankings, 'innovation', ruin your chance at enjoying something. Give life back to the music. (Did it.)

Exactly. I introduced a virgin Daft Punk listener to Discovery, and while he liked some of the tunes and beats he did not even like THAT album right away.

Now he fucking loves it. I can already tell whats going to happen in this thread half a year from now.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Music is one medium where I don't really put much stock into reviews and criticism. It's such a subjective medium that's almost impossible to have an objective opinion about it.

time will tell if RAM is up there with Discovery.

IceCold

Yep, some people keep saying Doin it Right is their favorite, but Instant Crush is really fun for me.

Honestly, I don't feel like enough songs have Disco in it. I mean, Sure, it's cool that they have Gorgio talking in a track, but I just want the music. I want to "Lose myself in Dance."

For example, Touch is a fan-fucking tastic track. Great composition, sounds amazing, but it doesn't meet my disco needs. =[

EDIT:

That's the thing, this isn't a disco or dance album. Once you realize this you'll enjoy the album more.

I understand why they are using get lucky and lose yourself to dance as singles but at the same time I feel like it will give people the wrong idea by making them think the album is filled with songs like them.

That's the thing, this isn't a disco or dance album. Once you realize this you'll enjoy the album more.

I understand why they are using get lucky and lose yourself to dance as singles but at the same time I feel like it will give people the wrong idea by making them think the album is filled with songs like them.

I've very much realized this, but I wasn't expecting it. I was kind of blindsided when I heard some of the songs not really meeting that disco or even EDM sound. With Nile Rodgers in there, I excepted more of like some EDM/Chic type music. I'm sure it'll grow on me though.

But time and time again, I go back to those Nile Rodgers songs. The music is just so fun, and I love that.

Mission

EDIT:

I don't know how far along we are on this (I've read most of the thread but not all) but I'd caution everybody on rushing out to get the lossless versions until somebody has verified them. These same services you are all listing received a "studio master" from the recent Depeche Mode and the waveform it produced wasn't anything different than the MP3 and AAC versions.

I'm hopeful about it, especially given the less compression on the leak compared to most things these days, but I'm just suggesting somebody needs to be the guinea pig before everybody pays for the masters.

I don't know how far along we are on this (I've read most of the thread but not all) but I'd caution everybody on rushing out to get the lossless versions until somebody has verified them. These same services you are all listing received a "studio master" from the recent Depeche Mode and the waveform it produced wasn't anything different than the MP3 and AAC versions.

I'm hopeful about it, especially given the less compression on the leak compared to most things these days, but I'm just suggesting somebody needs to be the guinea pig before everybody pays for the masters.

Thanks for a heads up. I hope they'll have an official 24hz release.

jett

D-Member

I think someone here paid for the "studio master" of Get Lucky, I guess he could compare the files.

dmshaposv

Can this Giorgio Moroder dude just STFU already. He really ruins the song

I dont mind the talking.

I love how the interview becomes into a song and then when he talks about preconceptions and the track goes all out epic with a full orchestra.

I love the track as is.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Exactly. I introduced a virgin Daft Punk listener to Discovery, and while he liked some of the tunes and beats he did not even like THAT album right away.

Now he fucking loves it. I can already tell whats going to happen in this thread half a year from now.

Music is not a video game that you buy and beat as fast as possible then forget about to move on to the next big AAA release.

That kind of attitude about all sorts of media though, really does seem to be pervasive.

Music is something you live with. You're going to relate to it differently at different times in your life - not just later on tonight after you've listened to an album for the second time. Sometimes you'll like a piece of music more, other times less. And a time may come when without any warning whatsoever, a particular piece of music becomes the most important thing you've ever heard. As if it had been written just for that precise moment.

Sometimes you want to reach out and shake people, and say "Will you just stop it with your bullshit and go on with your life. This shit will take care of itself."

Ashodin

Doin' It Right is such a baller song.

Doin' It Right
Everybody will be dancing
And we're feeling it right
Everyone will be dancing
When we're doin' it right

The "... but people call me Giorgio" cut into the main song is the highlight of the album for me. The interview acts as a build-up since you know whats coming, and having the interview literally add to the build-up by cutting to the click as he's talking about it is fun. I can see why some would find the talking boring and pointless, but I like it.

Flo_Evans

Man I have been listing the crap out of this...

Instant Crush and Doin' it Right are my faves.

New headphone DAC is on order and I am going to pick up a new set of speakers for home lol.

Dreaver

Music is one medium where I don't really put much stock into reviews and criticism. It's such a subjective medium that's almost impossible to have an objective opinion about it.

time will tell if RAM is up there with Discovery.

Yeah I totally agree, though some music simply is genius (the structure of the song) or is really good / mastered really well, but in the end it's all subjective whenever you like it or not.

sephi22

Alright. After 10+ listens, I can finally rate each song individually. I'm someone who was indifferent to Daft Punk's music before this. I had One More Time and Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger on my iPod for years and I loved those songs, but I didn't make an effort to listen to more of the robots' work.

Maybe its because I was a casual fan and didn't know what Daft Punk's 'signature sound' is that I love this album so much.

***** - Top tier track. Would be in many of my playlists.
**** - Excellent track. Can listen to it again and again without getting bored.
*** - Good track. Like listening to it when it comes on, but wouldn't play it otherwise.
** - Nothing special. I could skip over this track.
* - Abysmal track. Why is this in here?

1. “Give Life Back to Music” (featuring Nile Rodgers) - ***
2. “The Game of Love” - **
3. “Giorgio by Moroder” (featuring Giorgio Moroder) - ****
4. “Within” (featuring Chilly Gonzales) - ***
5. “Instant Crush” (featuring Julian Casablancas) - *****
6. “Lose Yourself to Dance” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) - ****
7. “Touch” (featuring Paul Williams) - *****
8. “Get Lucky” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) -*****

9. “Beyond” - ***
10. “Motherboard” - **
11. “Fragments of Time” (featuring Todd Edwards) - ***
12. “Doin’ It Right” (featuring Panda Bear) - **
13. “Contact” (featuring DJ Falcon) - *****

Top Bottom