• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

jett

D-Member
tumblr_mljevofoqh1r6r6k3o1_500.jpg

untitled-3pzmd3.gif

My opinion is that the album is really great. A good mix of EDM tracks and pop radio singles. It's hard to compare to other albums... I'm sure many (especially fans of Discovery) would like if all songs were as bombastic as Contact, but many of the tracks are more reserved.

What I think they past achieved was making good use of the collaborations. The Niles Paul songs are easy standouts that show what he does best, the song with Panda Bear might be the best song Animal Collective never wrote, and the song with Julian Casablancas is a Strokes song that finally is a worthy step from Is This It. And apparently I'm in the minority in this but Pharrell fits in great with what they do and I'd love to see a full side project (like an Atoms for Peace, but a group that actually makes sense.)

jett

D-Member
My opinion is that the album is really great. A good mix of EDM tracks and pop radio singles. It's hard to compare to other albums... I'm sure many (especially fans of Discovery) would like if all songs were as bombastic as Contact, but many of the tracks are more reserved.

What I think they past achieved was making good use of the collaborations. The Niles Paul songs are easy standouts that show what he does best, the song with Panda Bear might be the best song Animal Collective never wrote, and the song with Julian Casablancas is a Strokes song that finally is a worthy step from Is This It. And apparently I'm in the minority in this but Pharrell fits in great with what they do and I'd love to see a full side project (like an Atoms for Peace, but a group that actually makes sense.)

thumbs-up.gif

andylsun

I've been pretty much listening to the album non-stop since Monday. Anyone else?

You are all making it very hard to wait.

I'm waiting for my vinyl - not listened to the stream and will hold on until the end of next week. Needless to say, I'm loving the comments and I think this album is going to be a perfect fit for me.

A friend of mine at work is joining me in solidarity. It's not easy here!!

polg

I'm joining the RAM hate camp.

It sounds so flat, boring and soulless...

At least we will always have Homework, Discovery, Human after all and the Tron soundtrack :)

At least we will always have Homework, Discovery, Human after all and the Tron soundtrack :)

I don't hate it, just that several of the songs are so average and borderline boring

Get Lucky as a single really mislead me into thinking this album was going to bring that disco funk vibe back

jett

D-Member
I'm now pretty certain now that Giorgio by Moroder is my favorite of the album. It's just a massive, monster track.

see5harp

I think it's better than the first listen. Both of the pharrell songs are great but I'm partial to the slow build up with the come on come on come on shit. Motherboard is an alright song but it's just really not enough for me. The drumming is nice but it honestly sounds like that Cinematic Orchestra song with Roots Manuva only half as interesting. Finally at the end of the song they decide to do something.

Fox Mulder

I don't hate it, just that several of the songs are so average and borderline boring

Get Lucky as a single really mislead me into thinking this album was going to bring that disco funk vibe back

I feel the same, but hope it grows on me.

I let myself get too hyped up.

Cmagus

I really want my HQ iTunes version. Kind of dumb waiting till the 21st. I'd have to say my top 3 tracks are

1.Giorgio by Moroder
2.Give Life Back to Music
3.Fragments of Time

RoKKeR

Ughhhh the sooner I can ditch the stream the better.

Agreed. Not having it on the go is killing me. Though some friends and I did have a surprise dance party to Bring Life Back to Music today at around 10AM, it was great. That song is so much fun to dance to.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Alright. After 10+ listens, I can finally rate each song individually. I'm someone who was indifferent to Daft Punk's music before this. I had One More Time and Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger on my iPod for years and I loved those songs, but I didn't make an effort to listen to more of the robots' work.

Maybe its because I was a casual fan and didn't know what Daft Punk's 'signature sound' is that I love this album so much.

***** - Top tier track. Would be in many of my playlists.
**** - Excellent track. Can listen to it again and again without getting bored.
*** - Good track. Like listening to it when it comes on, but wouldn't play it otherwise.
** - Nothing special. I could skip over this track.
* - Abysmal track. Why is this in here?

1. “Give Life Back to Music” (featuring Nile Rodgers) - ***
2. “The Game of Love” - **
3. “Giorgio by Moroder” (featuring Giorgio Moroder) - ****
4. “Within” (featuring Chilly Gonzales) - ***
5. “Instant Crush” (featuring Julian Casablancas) - *****
6. “Lose Yourself to Dance” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) - ****
7. “Touch” (featuring Paul Williams) - *****
8. “Get Lucky” (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) -*****

9. “Beyond” - ***
10. “Motherboard” - **
11. “Fragments of Time” (featuring Todd Edwards) - ***
12. “Doin’ It Right” (featuring Panda Bear) - **
13. “Contact” (featuring DJ Falcon) - *****
Whoa. I agree like crazy.

keuja

As a casual listener (not even particularly fan of electronic music), I like this album and will probably buy it.
However the over use of Vocoder is irritating. Yes you're robots, we get it already.

Draper

As a casual listener (not even particularly fan of electronic music), I like this album and will probably buy it.
However the over use of Vocoder is irritating. Yes you're robots, we get it already.

Adding that into the collection along with "entry-level music".

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

the anniversary thread will be sub-titled this.

count on it
KuGsj.gif

What does soulless even mean? Touch? Instant crush? The rest of the album? I swear some people just cannot have any opinions in the majority.

Top Bottom