• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Sallokin

I keep coming back to Instant Crush and Touch. They both feel super personal. Instant Crush just has this vibe I can't get over.

btkadams

I dont mind the talking.

I love how the interview becomes into a song and then when he talks about preconceptions and the track goes all out epic with a full orchestra.

I love the track as is.

Yep, it's actually perfect.

different tastes, i suppose. there is so much awesome in that song, but i feel like it isn't organized how i would like (including the intro with talking). i know that i'll be making an edit as soon as i get my cd and can rip a lossless file to work with.

4:04 til 4:44 (roughly) from Giorgo By Moroder are so fucking good. Listen to those motherfucking jazz chords! Who does the keys? Thomas/Guy-Man or someone else?

jett

D-Member

*listens to Vampire Weekend*

idmuajLFLZirF.gif

Addi

well, a bunch of people rated it 5/5 before the stream was released..

Nothing against Vampire Weekend, I have only listen to half of their new album, but I laughed when I saw Rock & Folk rated it 1/5 and RAM 5/5

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's pretty bold of them to frontload the album with slow mood pieces. I'm sure they spend a lot of time on sequencing their album, and the second song of an album is usually reserved for the big gun...really deliberately setting a mood with the tracklist.

MrDaravon

I've listened to it once, not sure how I feel about it; as a super casual Daft Punk fan I think it just wasn't what I was expecting. Not bad, just not what I was expecting. Will give it some more listens for sure though, can't put together anything coherent on it yet.

As a side effect though, the hype behind this album got me to check out some of their other stuff, literally outside of a few of their real big hits like One More Time, etc I had never listened to them. Alive 2007 is fucking amazing, holy shit guys.

I actually don't mind the talking portion of Giorgio. It occurred to me that if I either couldn't speak English, or English was a second or third language, than I would probably focus more on the cadence of his voice, and would probably enjoy it more.

impirius

It's pretty bold of them to frontload the album with slow mood pieces. I'm sure they spend a lot of time on sequencing their album, and the second song of an album is usually reserved for the big gun...really deliberately setting a mood with the tracklist.

Yep. Still not sure how I feel about Game of Love and Within being so early (although I do love how they bookend Giorgio by Moroder).

Speaking of track order, I'm not sure why Touch is surrounded by Pharrell.

Addi

Also, a friend of mine got the vinyl today! It was godlike, the sound is so well balanced, we compared it to the stream and it was like night and day. I was kind of bored of Get lucky, but here we both ended up dancing, and he doesn't even like to dance :p

Addi

I have high hopes for a remix album of some sort.

They said they maybe were going to do it themselves. In the pitchfork interview they said they were at first thinking about making a quadruple album or the album as one song. They definitely have enough material to release other things soon. The wait before new Daft Punk material might not be as long this time around. I hope so at least.

Edit: Sorry for bad english

Willectro

Banned
Gotta say, "Doin' it Right" is growing on me. As is Contact. Random Access Memories still is no Discovery, but as I listen to it more, I am warming up to the entire album.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Oh my GOD, Paul Williams played Virgil in Battle for the Planet of the Apes.....that's awesome.

Actually found a clip of him singing in costume on Johnny Carson, HA! : www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bE2m355-JRo

dmshaposv

Still doesnt change the fact that Game of Love is the most boring and skippable song on the whole album.

The sudden shift in tone is too jarring. I'm at a point where I'm loving even Fragments of Time, Doin it Right (which have grown over time) but the slow sad songs just ruin the pacing.

Game of Love is in my opinion, the all out failure of this album. Everything else is better than it in some way or the other. Even Within is redeemed by Chily's piano intro.

dmshaposv

Ugh, I hate the various intros to the slow-ish songs like Beyond and Within. Cheesy and out of place.

its not a matter of cheesy - the whole album is cheesy as fuck - it just how the songs flow into one another. Touch and Fragments of time are ultra-cheesy but they work and are enjoyable songs.

Game of love is daft punk crooning and being emo on a mostly monotonous track. Id just skip that shit.

jtb

Banned
its not a matter of cheesy - the whole album is cheesy as fuck - it just how the songs flow into one another. Touch and Fragments of time are ultra-cheesy but they work and are enjoyable songs.

Game of love is daft punk crooning and being emo on a mostly monotonous track. Id just skip that shit.

Meh, I don't like Touch or Fragments either.

I do agree that Game of Love is pretty dull though. It's no Something About Us.

jtb

Banned
^Thanks for that. Been trying to decipher the lyrics to Instant Crush for a while now. Can't wait to pick up the physical copy.

mattiewheels

Wow, using the classic Columbia label. I only ever see that when I buy Dylan.

Giorgio is easily my favourite so far, I love the interview segment at the start.

Then it just busts out into some electronica funk odyssey and oh man.

Majine

Banned
What the hell is wrong with Touch? Or rather, what's right about it? When I first heard it, I was like "Wtf?", now I'm almost sheding a tear at the end.

mattiewheels

album is a major disappointment, if i wanted to hear a shitty mid 80s herbie hancock album id just download one
There are definitely some grocery store songs on this album. But if I'm not hearing Instant Crush while shopping at Publix in the future, something's gone wrong.

Top Bottom