• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Jesus dude. That's like a whole day. Of one song.

lol I'm probably one of the biggest fans of the song on GAF at the moment. It's a damn good song and I literally can not get tired of listening to this song.

My top played is Instant Crush followed by Touch.

Instant Crush is pretty decent.

Also I said before that Fragments of Time was the worst song on the album but after listening to it some more, it's not that bad. Phew! Said it. :p

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I'm joining the RAM hate camp.

It sounds so flat, boring and soulless...

At least we will always have Homework, Discovery, Human after all and the Tron soundtrack :)
The most soulless thing DP have done is the Tron soundtrack. It has a few really nice tracks, but the rest is lacking in passion or excitement or...anything. Tracks like Touch and Motherboard on RAM have much more interesting and complex composition.

IceCold

Do you download directly from their site?

Answer:

KwyNIQX.jpg

Biff

This is my take on RAM:

DP picked some of their favourite artists. Learned the intricacies of their respective genres, and fashioned what they believe to be a perfect song for that artist in their genre.

That is why I am so blown away by the album. The best equivalent I can think of is an engineer jumping from Mechanical to Industrial to Electrical to Civil to Materials Engineering, tackling projects in each field. From an outside perspective, all they are doing is "engineering". From an inside perspective (i.e. someone who specializes in one of the fields), their accomplishment is truly humbling, because every engineer out there knows how hard it is to get their individual degree.

jtb

Banned
The most soulless thing DP have done is the Tron soundtrack. It has a few really nice tracks, but the rest is lacking in passion or excitement or...anything. Tracks like Touch and Motherboard on RAM have much more interesting and complex composition.

I dunno about that. Choosing between Human After All and the Tron soundtrack... that's a race to the bottom that depresses me just thinking about it.

Sallokin

I listened to HAA today and I think it's a damn fine album. But good lord I remember thinking it was such a huge mistake when it came out.

I dunno about that. Choosing between Human After All and the Tron soundtrack... that's a race to the bottom that depresses me just thinking about it.

But Human After All was meant to be that way. It was like trying to get an emotion from a rock. It was heavy on textures, aggressive and repetitive. I love it.

DominoKid

HAA was like an exercise in soulless-ness though.

Tron I think is kind of misunderstood, it's meant to be a Soundtrack - not a Daft Punk album, so the focus is more on making the score fit the film, which I think Legacy does wonderfully. It's not like Discovery where the film fit around songs already done, a lot of tracks don't really gel as they are more atmosphere setting - considering usually artists just do a few title/showcase songs for a film and leave an orchestra to do the background music, Daft Punk did a pretty good score. I was bummed too initially when I found out the album was mostly score but I can appreciate it for what it is. The remix album was pretty much made for people who complained about it not being more like a standard album.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
HAA was like an exercise in soulless-ness though.
But that was what they were going for. It's worse to go for poignant and fall flat.
Isn't that kind of the point of the album? It's robotic music but then they turn out to be "human after all." Too bad that wasn't the final track.
The final track was the most fitting to that theme though. Emotion is robotic, but also melancholy and alive. Amazingly simple composition.
Tron I think is kind of misunderstood, it's meant to be a Soundtrack - not a Daft Punk album, so the focus is more on making the score fit the film, which I think Legacy does wonderfully. It's not like Discovery where the film fit around songs already done, a lot of tracks don't really gel as they are more atmosphere setting - considering usually artists just do a few title/showcase songs for a film and leave an orchestra to do the background music, Daft Punk did a pretty good score. I was bummed too initially when I found out the album was mostly score but I can appreciate it for what it is. The remix album was pretty much made for people who complained about it not being more like a standard album.
The problem is that a lot of the tracks are identikit Hollywood score tracks. I expect more out of Daft Punk.
That said, the standouts were great.

Foxix Von

I'm halfway through the album right now.

I fucking love it so far.

It's like the best album Electric Light Orchestra never made.

Only downside is have to download i tunes to listen to the stream. Bleeeeeeccchhhhh.

IceCold

I listened to HAA today and I think it's a damn fine album. But good lord I remember thinking it was such a huge mistake when it came out.

If they had spend more time on it, it would have been an awesome album. The actual beats on it are good, but they are quite repetitive. Considering it leaked 3 months before it's release date, Daft Punk could have made it better and said the leaked version was an early demo or something.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the only purpose for the album was to provide material for Alive 2007.

jtb

Banned
It's hard for me to care what Daft Punk was going for Human After All when the album is so bad. I thought it was a grower when I was really getting into Alive 2007, but I gave it a couple listens in anticipation of RAM... and... no. I don't like it at all. Total misfire, in my book.

It's the rare album where putting the songs together actually makes the album worse because of how utterly dull and repetitive everything is. There was enough ideas in there for three or four songs, not a whole album. I'm glad they took their time with RAM and basically went in the complete opposite direction.

gdt

God Alive 2007 is so good. Best live album of all time. Probably on my short list for favorite album period.

RoKKeR

God Alive 2007 is so good. Best live album of all time. Probably on my short list for favorite album period.

It's incredibly well mixed, actually. The way they incorporate the crowd into it is absolutely fantastic. It also helps that the remixes and energy are just top notch. Definitely rivals some of U2's live albums/performances, which I consider to be the best of all time. Nobody comes close to U2 live, but Alive 2007 is really, really good.

Major U2 fan here. Don't hate.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Listening to HAA for the first time now.....you ain't shittin me, this is dullll, especially compared to RAM.

gdt

Listening to HAA for the first time now.....you ain't shittin me, this is dullll, especially compared to RAM.

There's a lifelessness to most of the tracks.

They fucking SHINE in Alive 2007 though. Its insane how good those songs work live. Every song got a huge injection of life and joy.

Courage

This is my take on RAM:

DP picked some of their favourite artists. Learned the intricacies of their respective genres, and fashioned what they believe to be a perfect song for that artist in their genre.

That is why I am so blown away by the album. The best equivalent I can think of is an engineer jumping from Mechanical to Industrial to Electrical to Civil to Materials Engineering, tackling projects in each field. From an outside perspective, all they are doing is "engineering". From an inside perspective (i.e. someone who specializes in one of the fields), their accomplishment is truly humbling, because every engineer out there knows how hard it is to get their individual degree.
This is such a perfect summary of the album. Every collaborator in the album is great. Although I have some weak songs, at some point in the album Julian, Pharrell, Panda Bear and even fucking Giorgio Moroder are amazing.

RoKKeR

There's a lifelessness to most of the tracks.

They fucking SHINE in Alive 2007 though. Its insane how good those songs work live. Every song got a huge injection of life and joy.
Totally agreed, they just 'work' live.

And I hate to turn this into an Alive 2007 page but I just can't help but smile at One More Time/Aerodynamic.

I'll shut up now.

Foxix Von

Annnnd just finished it.

I can't wait to listen to this more. I was expecting some crazy shit for that last song and they delivered exactly what I expected from Contact, just awesome. Loved it.

Instant Crush is my favorite track after listening for a few days, Get Lucky is still a good track, but it doesnt make my heart beat faster like the beat in Instant Crush. Contact is great as well, Doin it right is pretty damn good. Fragments in time is ok, can't listen to it very much. I can have Give life back to music, instant crush, girogio, and doin it right on loop and be happy.

I like the whole album as a whole, but the tracks that err more on the daft punkness certainly have my favor.

Michan

Originally I wasn't so keen on it, but after actively trying to be more open minded about it, Motherboard has quickly grown on me. It's pretty slow and a bit experimental, but is a grand conclusion to everything that leads up to it. 3:50 is where the song really comes out and shines. Absolutely gorgeous.

Edit: perfect timing. Didn't originally see your post, Hieberrr.

RoKKeR

Really liking Instant Crush, turning into one of my favorites. Great harmonies, and I sort of like how the autotune is 'obvious'...don't know how to explain it, but it gives it a good sound. Halfway between human and the robots.

Top Bottom