• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
That was way better than I was expecting.

Edit: I just realised the song that was playing at the end was the same one someone posted a while back of a listening party. I can't remember what the videos are called but it was one of the very short videos that loop.

DJ88

Shiiiiiiit, I can hear that leak of Give Life Back to Music fitting in perfectly at the spot they cut the video. It's so close!

tanuki

This entire campaign has been pretty much the longest handjob ever. They must know their album is brilliant or the backlash is going to be insane.

Servbot24

Banned
This entire campaign has been pretty much the longest handjob ever. They must know their album is brilliant or the backlash is going to be insane.

They've always been better at marketing than music. I don't even like Daft Punk that much and they're getting me hyped. Even if I don't end up caring about the album I think this whole process of making the release an event is really cool.

No specific time for the stream, could be any time today.

Dreaver

I love the whole campaign. Their long absence and mysterious personalities combined with the huge billboards, collaborative video's and (I suppose controlled) leaks of the snippets are such a great way to hype everyone up for the album.

tanuki

I love the whole campaign. Their long absence and mysterious personalities combined with the huge billboards, collaborative video's and (I suppose controlled) leaks of the snippets are such a great way to hype everyone up for the album.

Yeah, it's been incredible, a real 101 in hype and viral marketing. I can see a lot of other big artists following in their footsteps with their campaigns after this.

Alucrid

Banned

good plan considering how bad human after all was

jokkir

People actually listened to that? >_>

Eh, I like it lol. It's not really Cross and was disappointing at first but I grew to like it
3AQmK.gif

kaskade

The Daft Punk subreddit is saying the stream should be today. There was an ad for it on pitchfork and some tweets. I'm on my phone but maybe you guys already knew this.

Edit: looks like it was mentioned on the last page. Can't wait.

grkazan12

Anyone else get reminded of Justice's Audio, Video, Disco from that snippet?

A bit, but after the snippet the song from what I heard gets really groovy and funky. Also I really don't get why people hated Audio, Video, Disco so much. Don't get me wrong Cross was pretty great, but most of the songs on ADV are kind of awesome. Really respect that they chose a different route for the album by giving it more of a Prog Rock sound.

Sorry for going off topic a bit, but it's a good album. Also, both albums mesh really well together if you listen to their live album Access All Arenas.

jtb

Banned
I liked Audio, Video, Disco too. It's stylistically pretty different from Cross (both of which are pretty different from anything Daft Punk has done), but I enjoyed it anyways.

Nugg

I liked Audio, Video, Disco too. It's stylistically pretty different from Cross (both of which are pretty different from anything Daft Punk has done), but I enjoyed it anyways.

Yep, this. It's not Cross, but still a great album

I think this was the problem. Cross had a very specific and different sound from most dance music (at least at the time) and to wait so long for a followup and get something so different was a recipe for backlash and disappointment. Same thing that happened with MGMT's 2nd album. If you look at them separately from expectations they are good albums but they are not what most of their fans, who only had one album of material to base said fandom on, wanted.

Nugg

I think this was the problem. Cross had a very specific and different sound from most dance music (at least at the time) and to wait so long for a followup and get something so different was a recipe for backlash and disappointment.
You just described Discovery. Sometimes it works.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
I really hope there isn't a stream, and that it doesn't leak. The hype is too incredible, and I love the wait.

jtb

Banned
oh man, I hated (and still hate) Congratulations. I totally understand the backlash with that one :lol

Top Bottom