• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

This album was so, so worth the wait. Give Life Back to Music is a fantastic opener. Giorgio by Moroder is an amazing musical journey. And then there's Instant Crush. And Doin' It Right. And Get Lucky. All concluded by the epic Contact.

Yep, I just love this album. Game of Love is the only track that I'm not that fond of - but it's still OK. Def going to play this a lot this summer.

I'll just keep playing back these fragments of time
Everywhere I go these moments will shine

Majine

Banned
Daft Punk have something to say to the haters:

qKIKc7N.jpg

tj hazuki

1st week projections
Daft Punk's new album, "Random Access Memories," is heading for a big sales week and the act's first No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart.

Industry sources suggest the album, due out on May 21, may sell between 250,000 and 300,000 copies in its first week. That whopping figure is more than twice the total sales of its last studio album, 2005's "Human After All," to date (125,000 according to Nielsen SoundScan).
http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...emories-heading-for-big-sales-aiming-for-no-1

Poor Rich

Neo Member
I've listened to this album the past 2 days all day at work just to get a good feel for the songs. So far I find the album creative but bland. Twangy funk guitar here, robot voice there and some artistic choices for intros... eh.

I really put in my homework to find a discovery of some great music, but I am human after all and guess I may not be part of this daft club that I thought I was.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Can the people who didn't care for HAA at least admit that Television Rules The Nation was really good? I saw that album as their Kraftwerk 'Man-Machine' moment, and it was really only one of the two doing most of it, right?

Get'sMad

even though I'm not a big fan of the new album its been nice going back and revisiting the old stuff

I have fond memories of my sister and I staying up late watching 120 minutes and amp in the mid late/90s on the weekends trying to tape the around the world and da funk videos

Maedhros

God... I love Beyond. That music, just after Get Lucky... so fucking perfect. <3

The only ones I don't really like are the last 2 and the second.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm listening to it for the first time right now. The last minute of Giorgio fucked my world up.

MattDoza

"The ability for everyone to have the technology available to create electronic music at home is truly a wonderful thing. But, created a strange paradox. On a technological level, everyone is now a magician. And the question we can ask ourselves is; does magic still exist when the audience knows the trick?" -Bangalter

The CNN narrator butchered Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger lol. But I like that quote.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The song I like the least on Discovery is Short Circuit. I feel like it doesn't fit the album.
Probably because it's a leftover from the Homework days. They played some of the synth loops from that track during a show in 97.

Get'sMad

"The ability for everyone to have the technology available to create electronic music at home is truly a wonderful thing. But, created a strange paradox. On a technological level, everyone is now a magician. And the question we can ask ourselves is; does magic still exist when the audience knows the trick?" -Bangalter

The CNN narrator butchered Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger lol. But I like that quote.

hate this quote

See I'm perfectly fine they decided they wanted to do something different from their past work...but I think this kind of takes a crap on a lot of extremely talented people making music this way today (and I'm not denying there are also lot of people that make total shit this way too).

Hardly anyone has the money and resources to be able to even attempt to create an album like RAM...and I'm not saying they didn't earn it, just seems like a discouraging thing to say to kids with little resources trying to make tunes.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I prefer to Make Love.
The title track is great too, and Robot Rock, my god! Like many have said, it was great fodder for the 07 shows.

One thing I'm still trying to reconcile is that the same people who did Face to Face also did Fragments of Time. Is this what 12 years does to people?

IceCold

Probably because it's a leftover from the Homework days. They played some of the synth loops from that track during a show in 97.

Yeah I know. It sounds like a cut from Homework. It's not a bad song or anything but seems a bit out of place imo.

gdt

The title track is great too, and Robot Rock, my god! Like many have said, it was great fodder for the 07 shows.

One thing I'm still trying to reconcile is that the same people who did Face to Face also did Fragments of Time. Is this what 12 years does to people?

I'm 24 and I can barely ride roller coasters any more. 2 or 3 and I'm done for the day.

Top Bottom