• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

I notice the OP says this is out in Europe today, is there anywhere other than iTunes that I can buy the digital version?

I looked for options but it seems if you are in the UK you are stuck waiting till Monday for the album to drop. Mainland Europe and Austraila got it yesterday

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The Alive 2007 talk on page 42 reminds me how sad I am that I missed that, if there is one concert I could travel (back) to it would be that.. The energy that flows in the songs and visuals/crowd is insane.

Best concert I've ever been to, at Bercy in Paris. Something I'll forever remember. <3

Album is really growing on me, to the point that I'm starting to dig the tracks I initially skipped such as Touch and Game Of Love. Could turn out to be a classic.

LevelNth

Banned
I love how the album, and songs like Game of Love, Within and Touch especially, make me feel like Daft Punk has come full circle.

Instead of humans making robotic sounding dance music, they are robots making human sounding dance music.

NotLiquid

Having finally listened to it, I can safely say I absolutely adore this album. I'm almost inclined to call it perfect, if not my favorite Daft Punk record.

I only miss some of the adventurous elements of Discovery, which admittedly that might have been enhanced by the entire Interstella 55555 mythos but this is just fabulous all the same. It's such great music, so well produced and so much of it.

I only had to listen to the first seconds of Give Life Back To Music to realize that I was in for one hell of a ride with the album. They're not sparing on the grand nature with it. This was well worth all the years of wait, and it feels awesome to have Daft Punk back.

Leonsito

So, I'm listening to iTunes entire free preview, what's the song at the 12 minute mark? After the Giovanni Giorgio introduction.

Hawkguy

Neo Member
I'm not saying this is Daft Punks best album, because its not. Nothing will ever top Discovery IMO. But it is a little jarring going back and listening to their older stuff without any live instrumentation. I think bringing in that studio drummer elevates everything to this whole nother level and really does make the music sound so much more organic and human, and I really hope when they do the album tour, they decide to bring some of that on the road with them.

Discovery>Homework>RAM>HAA

cashman

Banned
I'm not saying this is Daft Punks best album, because its not. Nothing will ever top Discovery IMO. But it is a little jarring going back and listening to their older stuff without any live instrumentation. I think bringing in that studio drummer elevates everything to this whole nother level and really does make the music sound so much more organic and human, and I really hope when they do the album tour, they decide to bring some of that on the road with them.

Discovery>Homework>RAM>HAA

I think that's where I have it ranked too.

jacobs34

Listened to Discovery last night, and it still, STILL, blows me away. Where as now that I'm on my umpteenth listening of RAM, I tend to skim through the tracks. I'll be interested to see how it holds up in six months/a year.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
1- Discovery
2- Human After All = Homework
3- RAM

I will never get the hate for Human After All, that album was ruff, rugged n raw. Technologic, Robotrock, Make Love, Primetime, Emotion, Brain, Human.... enjoyed the Hell out of it.

Hawkguy

Neo Member
1- Discovery
3- RAM

I will never get the hate for Human After All, that album was ruff, rugged n raw. Technologic, Robotrock, Make Love, Primetime, Emotion, Brain, Human.... enjoyed the Hell out of it.

I got what they were going for. They wanted the album to be like an unpolished gem. They wanted everything to sound textured, and rough. That's great y'know, and the sounds on that album are amazing. But I think Homework, RAM, and especially Discovery are just way more fun to listen to. You don't gotta be rough to show character. Those other albums are smooth as fuck, and just are easier to listen to. I'm less likely to skip a Discovery song on my playlist than say something like Primetime

IceCold

1- Discovery
3- RAM

Because it's super repetitive. Most songs are basically loops of 30s snippets. It's like a poor man's Homework.

jett

D-Member
HAA is awful, and honestly I'm not much of a fan of Homework either. Right now RAM is dangerously close to Discovery, with Alive 2007 in third place. The sound and style they've gone for RAM is actually closer to my liking to be honest so it will undoubtedly reach first place soon enough.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Because it's super repetitive. Most songs are basically loops of 30s snippets. It's like a poor man's Homework.

thats part of its genius, they didnt over-produce anything, every song(or most of them) captured the "it" and they let it run. I thought they were successful at it.

I thought alot of tracks in RAM suffered from the opposite problem. "Touch" succeeded at it(fav song still) but most of the songs feel completely disconnected.

i have it Discovery > RAM > Homework >>>>> HAA
they're not gonna top Discovery. it can't be done.

Cant say about musically but the only reason i have discovery on top and always on top is because of nostalgia. I grew up with that album and i dont think anything DP makes will rival how i felt listening to that for the first time and watching interstella.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Couldn't resist picking up the actual album today. Haven't purchased a physical CD in a while but I felt this one would be a good pick.

iQo.jpg

Cant say about musically but the only reason i have discovery on top and always on top is because of nostalgia. I grew up with that album and i dont think anything DP makes will rival how i felt listening to that for the first time and watching interstella.

I think Discovery works much better as an album. I could listen to Discovery from start to finish and not want to skip a single song. Can't do that with RAM. Well, I can't.

Splatt

I think Discovery works much better as an album. I could listen to Discovery from start to finish and not want to skip a single song. Can't do that with RAM. Well, I can't.

The flow from song to song is better in Discovery. It's pretty much perfect there.

RAM has some weird transitions. From Give Life Back to Music to The Game of Love for example.

NotLiquid

For me I'd rank the albums thus;
Discovery > RAM > Homework > Human After All

I'd say Discovery holds the upper hand by a slight margin over RAM because while that album had a lot of mellow tracks, it also balanced things by having a rather playful atmosphere to it. It made things more varied and it contributed to that adventurous factor.

I feel that RAM has the best production as far as any Daft Punk album goes. It's incredibly lively and it feels so natural, it comes together spectacularly to create an onslaught of weighty tracks that all have something unique to them. It was mentioned earlier, but "robots making human music" is an accurate description. This is the soundtrack to what I feel Daft Punk should have done a movie about - robots coming to earth, discovering music and bringing it back to life. I seriously can imagine it going well for an indie film.

I've sort of grown out of Homework but I can't deny it's influence on the french house scene, there's some great hooks in it and it's got some of my favorite Daft Punk melodies.

Human After All is an album I can see what they were going for if only for the concept alone, but it sort of falls flat due to the lack of Discovery's melodic composition and how repetitive it is. It's still a great album if only because of what they managed to do with it in Alive 2007.

Vark

I've been listening to the stream over the last few days (Have the vinyl on preorder).

I'm loving it. It kind of reminds me of 70's prog rocks response to the main genre (taking something poppy and single driven and trying to add more musicianship and art to it).

prog dance? I dunno, In an age of soundcloud and laptop DJ's it's great to hear something really solidly crafted with actual instrumentation that's hard to duplicate with a computer.

Phillip E.

Neo Member
I take back what I said about Contact, as it is the perfect closer for this album. I am addicted. Many of the songs have buried themselves in my mind where they become a contorted mix of melodies and lyrics with an occasional burst of clarity.

This is an incredible album for summer. It exists best in the midst of heat and optimism.

dmshaposv

Right now, the album has ovetaken Homwork for me.

Discovery
Random access memories
Homework
Alive 2007

Tron

HAA

--------------------------

I can legitimately see it overtaking Discovery for me. If only RAM didnt have an complete dud in Game of Love.

MNC

Touch is in a close second spot, but the guitar riff of Give Life Back To Music is just sooooooooo good. The riff has been in my head since monday.

Give Life Back To Music
Touch
Motherboard
Doing It Right
Get Lucky

The rest of the tracks can FOAD! :D

Cyport

Friday night out and listening to this album on iTunes stream. Sounds a lot better with a few pre-drinks in before going out.

Dreaver

I think I officially like RAM more then Discovery. I also gave Homework and Alive '07 (<3) a re-listen today, I'm REALLY interested in the remix album and what they'll do with their next live tour.

Top Bottom