• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
hate this quote

See I'm perfectly fine they decided they wanted to do something different from their past work...but I think this kind of takes a crap on a lot of extremely talented people making music this way today (and I'm not denying there are also lot of people that make total shit this way too).

Hardly anyone has the money and resources to be able to even attempt to create an album like RAM...and I'm not saying they didn't earn it, just seems like a discouraging thing to say to kids with little resources trying to make tunes.

I think what he's getting as is that while it's great kids have the opportunity and ability to do it, they aren't taking advantage of it and trying to create their own magic.

they're just performing the same magic tricks over and over again.

everyone is GOB and no one is happy.

Baby Milo

hate this quote

See I'm perfectly fine they decided they wanted to do something different from their past work...but I think this kind of takes a crap on a lot of extremely talented people making music this way today (and I'm not denying there are also lot of people that make total shit this way too).

Hardly anyone has the money and resources to be able to even attempt to create an album like RAM...and I'm not saying they didn't earn it, just seems like a discouraging thing to say to kids with little resources trying to make tunes.

i agree and there is nothing that hasn't been done before on RAM even with access to all the talented musicians they had

just corny coming from them

bomma_man

hate this quote

Yeah agree. I get what they're saying but the democratisation of dance music has been great overall.

Edit: and it's not like they've made anything magical here either.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
don't hurt me like that :(
Pretty sure they toured way before 07, so you'll see their version of Aive 17 sooner than that.

MattDoza

everyone is GOB and no one is happy.

VKSN1yr.jpg

Flo_Evans

On repeat listens I think within > instant crush is becoming my fav.

Alot of the arrangement on the album doesn't make sense to me, but I like these 2 together.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
"The ability for everyone to have the technology available to create electronic music at home is truly a wonderful thing. But, created a strange paradox. On a technological level, everyone is now a magician. And the question we can ask ourselves is; does magic still exist when the audience knows the trick?" -Bangalter

The CNN narrator butchered Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger lol. But I like that quote.

To me that confirms what I said before. They decided to use live instruments just because it's more costly/difficult to do so, same with the collaborations, because most others out there who aren't so world-famous can't do it. It's them wanting to stand away from others rather than them just making music to make music.

IceCold

To me that confirms what I said before. They decided to use live instruments just because it's more costly/difficult to do so, same with the collaborations, because most others out there who aren't so world-famous can't do it. It's them wanting to stand away from others rather than them just making music to make music.

They said they tried to make music with laptops but they didn't like what they produced. They always try to do something different so the direction they took makes sense. And I'm sure they got the idea and confidence from making the Tron OST. It wasn't done just because they wanted to do something difficult for the fuck of it.

DJ88

Sure, that's exactly it.

gdt

I can't say I'm a big fan of those quotes either. The underground dance scene is so Fucking awesome these days

Not talking about shitty shit like aviici da god or skrillex of course.

cdyhybrid

I'd rather they did something slightly out of the ordinary that they were passionate about than just go through the motions on what they think the fans want.

Regardless, I think the remix album will please most off the people that weren't happy with RAM :)

bomma_man

I'd rather they did something slightly out of the ordinary that they were passionate about than just go through the motions on what they think the fans want.

Regardless, I think the remix album will please most off the people that weren't happy with RAM :)

I think you're misrepresenting most of the critical views then. People don't (or at least I don't) dislike it for doing something different at all.

GhaleonEB

One month after 'Get Lucky' radio edit comes out, I hear it for the first time. Yes, I live in a cave.

Haven't stopped listening since. I've had a crash course of Daft Punk over the past few days. Might snag Random Access Memories this week. (Bloody brilliant album title.)

So I'm driving on the freeway towards home after being out with my friends (who are now coming along with me to the RAM listening party next tues), playing Contact as loud as my speakers can handle, and air drumming like a madman. If anyone looked into my car I looked like a damn fool. Don't care, shit felt awesome.

One month after 'Get Lucky' radio edit comes out, I hear it for the first time. Yes, I live in a cave.

Haven't stopped listening since. I've had a crash course of Daft Punk over the past few days. Might snag Random Access Memories this week. (Bloody brilliant album title.)

Radio edit is actual piss in comparison to the fll album version. Album version is amazing.

DominoKid

Interesting article on inthemix
The "genius" of RAM

that guy gets it.

On this album it sounds like things have come full circle once and for all. It’s as if Daft Punk have set their coordinates back to that brief moment of freedom, when it was hard to tell the difference between rock and pop and funk and disco and even country – before things exploded, before music fans split into hundreds of tribes that began to regard each other with permanent suspicion. It’s as if they’re on a mission to re-unite the tribes, re-unite every sphere of pop music – even pop at its most earnestly white and primetime-schmaltzy – under the all-inclusive banner of house. And it sounds absurdly perfect.

This is why the massive marketing megalith behind this phenomenon, and the unprecedented global hysteria, is…well, it’s not exactly OK with me; but as long as it has to exist, the music might as well be this good.

The universal appeal of this stuff is not only deserved but well-timed. These guys have come along with their analogue synthesizers and their robot costumes and placed themselves, like a postmodern Trojan horse, right into the middle of a frighteningly inhuman mass culture with the most intensely human music that could be imagined right now.

i could rack my brain for years and not come up w/ a better sentence to describe this album.

edit: i just know my dad would love this. i cant wait to play it for him.

Bumhead

Banned
Really loving this album. Contact has just blown my ears off.

Touch is the only track I'm still indecisive on. Half of me loves it, the other half thinks it's over indulgent tripe. I love everything else though.

Giorgio is fantastic.

that guy gets it.

i could rack my brain for years and not come up w/ a better sentence to describe this album.

edit: i just know my dad would love this. i cant wait to play it for him.

"the most intensely human music that could be imagined right now. "

It's like these people don't listen to anything but dance music or something. That people are so sheltered from modern music is ridiculous. People are falling over themselves to come up with hyperboles for this album and most of them involve some bullshit implying that modern music is bad. It's bad if you're looking in the wrong places.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
In just loving this album , any other album from another artist that I can also like ?

Fjordson

It's like these people don't listen to anything but dance music or something. That people are so sheltered from modern music is ridiculous. People are falling over themselves to come up with hyperboles for this album and most of them involve some bullshit implying that modern music is bad. It's bad if you're looking in the wrong places.
Agreed. Not so much about the album (not a big fan of it, but it's okay) but about modern music being bad. Simply not true.

well thats all I need to know. Can't wait to listen to it on monday

Mind you, I'm not the biggest fun aroumd nor do I listen to DP that often, and some tracks still need a fair amount of listening time, but most of the record is flat out amazing in my opinion.

Contact, Instant Crush, Lose yourself to Dance, Get lucky, Giorgio by Moroder; They're already burned in my brain.

Loxley

I have thus far managed to remain completely blind on RAM, it's been ridiculously temping to listen to all of the samples and leaks. Just a few more days :)

SKINNER!

Banned
I have thus far managed to remain completely blind on RAM, it's been ridiculously temping to listen to all of the samples and leaks. Just a few more days :)

You're doing really well. I had the same goal until they released the stream on iTunes and I was all like "fudge it!"

NotLiquid

I don't think the context here is in terms of modern music as a whole (which is another kettle of fish entirely and rather disputable) but in terms of the general image which Daft Punk are portraying here. They've long been one of the most recognizable poster-children of electronic music, as well as the house scene, and for them to come out with this kind of album in an era of Skrillex dominance within the electronic scene is something I don't think many would imagine.

It's an album that's shining light on a bygone era of music and in some ways is reinvigorating the interest in it. It's a rather massive far cry from Human After All, and while I personally didn't necessarily expect a form of evolution from that, I didn't expect a return to a more natural, mellow production and composition approach that consists of few pure electronics. It's a refreshing album for the genre.

Bumhead

Banned
Instant Crush reminds me a lot of ELO. Or at least what ELO might sound like if they released a record now.

I like it.

Seems a lot of folk are enjoying the same tracks.

metareferential said:
Contact, Instant Crush, Lose yourself to Dance, Get lucky, Giorgio by Moroder; They're already burned in my brain.

Pretty much where I'm at too.

part of my annoyance with this album is how long songs take to really get going.

take discovery for example, one more time starts off up tempo, and 46 seconds in the main vocals and riff kicks in. digital loves main loop is there after only 8 seconds! 20 seconds into harder, better, faster, stronger its kicked off, like 8 seconds for face to face too.

eh, i guess i was more of a fan of daft punks up tempo stuff, so it was pretty obvious i was never going to like this album. although i'm guessing homework fans said the same thing about discovery, haha.

i am looking forward to the remixed album though.

Not enough love for Doin' It Right. I do feel it's a bit out of place, but nonetheless, this will be my summer jam. Can't wait for the remixes.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Make love is incredible.

I had some good fun reading the 1 star reviews for Discovery. Some of them sound kinda familiar ;)
Holy shit.

"Though some people may think Daft Punk is great techno, they sound more like Eiffel 65 crossed with The Village People, then laced with the "Macarena" hit of years ago. After finishing listening to this, I had to put some Crystal Method in my CD player just to remind myself that good electronic music still existed. Avoid buying this at all costs. It will surely ruin your entire day and corrupt your view of music with its upbeat garbage and mindless clutter."

bomma_man

I don't think the context here is in terms of modern music as a whole (which is another kettle of fish entirely and rather disputable) but in terms of the general image which Daft Punk are portraying here. They've long been one of the most recognizable poster-children of electronic music, as well as the house scene, and for them to come out with this kind of album in an era of Skrillex dominance within the electronic scene is something I don't think many would imagine.

It's an album that's shining light on a bygone era of music and in some ways is reinvigorating the interest in it. It's a rather massive far cry from Human After All, and while I personally didn't necessarily expect a form of evolution from that, I didn't expect a return to a more natural, mellow production and composition approach that consists of few pure electronics. It's a refreshing album for the genre.

It's not like the use of live instruments in dance music has ever gone away, I mean DFA has been around for over a decade now. Nu Disco has been a thing at least since I started following dance music... So five or so years? And soft rock has had a mini revival through acts like Destroyer, Arial Pink and even Bon Iver. I don't see how it's unique or brave unless all you pay attention to is the top 40 and what they play in shit clubs.

Top Bottom