• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Ran rp

It's not like the use of live instruments in dance music has ever gone away, I mean DFA has been around for over a decade now. Nu Disco has been a thing at least since I started following dance music... So five or so years? And soft rock has had a mini revival through acts like Destroyer, Arial Pink and even Bon Iver. I don't see how it's unique or brave unless all you pay attention to is the top 40 and what they play in shit clubs.

hehe

This album is really growing on me now that i've listened to it a lot more.

However I cannot stand Touch, why the hell does it have to sound like Phantom of the Opera at the beginning?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

However I cannot stand Touch, why the hell does it have to sound like Phantom of the Opera at the beginning?
That guy singing was in a De Palma film called Phantom of the Paradise (a modern take on POTO) which inspired DP to write that song that way I believe.

William_Finley-3.jpg

Fjordson

Yeah, the vocal sections from Paul Williams are terrible. I like when it gets going with the piano and the horns and everything, it's kinda fun, but then it sounds like a stage play in parts like you said. Weird stuff.

Not enough love for Doin' It Right. I do feel it's a bit out of place, but nonetheless, this will be my summer jam. Can't wait for the remixes.

It's my favorite track of the album. It's feels a little out of place for me as it follows my least favorite, Fragments of Time. Dont get it at all, might feel different about it once summer eventually kicks, might give it a feel good factor.

IceCold

"the most intensely human music that could be imagined right now. "

It's like these people don't listen to anything but dance music or something. That people are so sheltered from modern music is ridiculous. People are falling over themselves to come up with hyperboles for this album and most of them involve some bullshit implying that modern music is bad. It's bad if you're looking in the wrong places.

It's a hyperbole but I'm sure they are talking about mainstream music. You know, things like #willpower.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
That guy singing was in a De Palma film called Phantom of the Paradise (a modern take on POTO) which inspired DP to write that song that way I believe.

William_Finley-3.jpg

SWAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN
I had a feeling this was a case, but cool to have it verified.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™

William_Finley-3.jpg

According to a Guardian interview with Daft Punk, "Hundreds of bands may tout cinematic references, yet few have them as hard-wired as Daft Punk. Guy-Man and Thomas met two decades ago this year, at the perfect cinema-going ages of 13 and 12... the one movie which they saw together more than 20 times was Phantom of the Paradise, Brian De Palma's 1974 rock musical, based loosely around Phantom of the Opera (both this and Electroma feature 'a hero with a black leather outfit and a helmet')."[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_of_the_Paradise

jett

D-Member
I'm sure it will sound great regardless. You can tell even from the stream that the mastering has been done very well.

Frankly I don't think it matters what you listen to this album on as long as the quality is decent enough and you're using headphones. That's really the most important thing.

Eidan

Yeah, the vocal sections from Paul Williams are terrible. I like when it gets going with the piano and the horns and everything, it's kinda fun, but then it sounds like a stage play in parts like you said. Weird stuff.
If anything Touch could use MORE Paul Williams. His parts are great.

Fjordson

If anything Touch could use MORE Paul Williams. His parts are great.
I wish the album had way less vocals. I like Todd Edwards on Fragments of Time, but everyone else sounds bad.

Don't mind the vocoder vocals, though. Always like those for some reason.

Despera

Banned
Finished listening to the album...

Discovery > RAM > Homework

Even though RAM was less repetitive, Discovery had more unique tunes. Love 'em both, but Discovery is still on top.

aceface

I want to hear a live version of contact about 3 times longer with a live drummer. I think my brain would melt.

The live drums really put Motherboard and Contact into god tier for me.

Izayoi

Banned
After many listens now, I think that Instant Crush is my favorite song on the album.

Not sure why, but I really like it.

LevelNth

Banned
I love dance music in general and the underground dance scene right now as much as the next guy, but if anyone doesn't think Daft Punk are spot on in saying the genre is borderline homogenized now, I really don't get that. It's not a bad thing (and they never said it was), but EDM is definitely in a play it safe place right now, and I LOVE that they didn't just follow along and instead challenged themselves to something beyond that.

IceCold

I love dance music in general and the underground dance scene right now as much as the next guy, but if anyone doesn't think Daft Punk are spot on in saying the genre is borderline homogenized now, I really don't get that. It's not a bad thing (and they never said it was), but EDM is definitely in a play it safe place right now, and I LOVE that they didn't just follow along and instead challenged themselves to something beyond that.

True, it truly feels like it's all in auto-pilot. A lot of current pop hits have electronic beats and they sound more or less the same. Like Daft Punk said, since many people are using mainly computers, they aren't creating their own custom kits and sound. They end up using the same kits and their music ends up sounding similar due to this. This doesn't mean there aren't unique acts out there, but when it comes to mainstream music, it all sounds quite similar.

daviyoung

Banned

The entire genre of dance music is in play it safe mode? Or just pop music? Because there aren't enough laughs in the world if it's the first, and if it's the second, well pop music is always in play it safe mode so they're saying nothing new at all.

LevelNth

Banned
The entire genre of dance music is in play it safe mode? Or just pop music? Because there aren't enough laughs in the world if it's the first, and if it's the second, well pop music is always in play it safe mode so they're saying nothing new at all.
Calm down pitchfork, no one said every single act is playing it safe and Daft Punk are the only one's branching out. But a large portion of the artists in the genre are, for sure.

True, it truly feels like it's all in auto-pilot. A lot of current pop hits have electronic beats and they sound more or less the same. Like Daft Punk said, since many people are using mainly computers, they aren't creating their own custom kits and sound. They end up using the same kits and their music ends up sounding similar due to this. This doesn't mean there aren't unique acts out there, but when it comes to mainstream music, it all sounds quite similar.
Yea, exactly. The mainstream EDM is definitely guilty of the homogenized sound, cause it sells and sells big right now. But hell, even some of the smaller acts aren't even branching out as much as some say they are, and frankly it's due to their lack of talent as musicians. They're incredible producers; not so much composers.

daviyoung

Banned
Calm down pitchfork, no one said every single act is playing it safe and Daft Punk are the only one's branching out. But a large portion of the artists in the genre are, for sure.

Pitchfork?

I still don't know if you're talking about pop music or dance music.

gdt

Yea, exactly. The mainstream EDM is definitely guilty of the homogenized sound, cause it sells and sells big right now. But hell, even some of the smaller acts aren't even branching out as much as some say they are, and frankly it's due to their lack of talent as musicians. They're incredible producers; not so much composers.

Mainstream music is always safe....thats why its mainstream. But I don't know who you are refereeing to with your other points, especially the difference between producers and composers....

Foxix Von

I bet I wouldn't even notice a single difference.

edit: Just checked out one of the vinyl tracks out of sheer curiosity. I stand corrected. The volume in the rip is weighted towards the right side for some reason. :lol Whatever.

Hmmm that may have to with the turntable or their setup. As a record plays the needle will tend to favor one side of the groove more than the other due to the force of the record spinning IIRC. I had trouble getting my last turntable set up (terrible ground loop hum, bad wiring in the house so I just gave up on it) so I'm not fresh on this but if the person set the anti skate wrong that can cause an imbalance between the left and right channels.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Hated the album on the first listen. I literally thought it was some kind of elaborate prank by Daft Punk to see who would say they liked the music just because it's Daft Punk. I'm listening to it more and I don't see my opinion changing.

Gimme the poppy electronic back. This is really terrible ambient music I'd expect out of a workplace instructional video.

So after listening this I think this is quite possibly my favorite Daft Punk Album so far. It's more of a chill feeling like sit back, close your eyes and let your ears take you to wonderful aural landscapes.

Top Bottom