• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

DarkWish

So here is my perspective on this album...

I had heard a few Daft Punk songs like Around the World and Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. Actually kind of caught on a bit more thanks to the DJ Hero game. It was good stuff, I liked it. Listened to some of their other songs from various albums and it was nice, but I wasn't going crazy over it. I didn't become a big fan until their Tron: Legacy soundtrack. Absolutely fell in love with that. Their music had emotion to it, it wasn't just random electronic stuff. It told a story, and I just connected with it. If that makes any sense.

And now this album. I am really liking it. I can see some people who prefer Daft Punk's old style, but I actually prefer this newer style. I like seeing their takes on things like movie soundtracks and now different genres of music. It's actually really refreshing and so good. I feel like this music is bringing me back to my youth, but I never really listened to this style of music much before and I was born in 1990. But now I can appreciate this style of music because of what Daft Punk has done. I'm having a hard time picking favorites from RAM because I'm liking almost everything. Maybe Instant Crush is my favorite? But then there's Contact and Touch and all the other great stuff.

So count me in amongst the crowd enjoying this album. It's so good!

Makes me really consider the CD, or whether I should wait for a 24/96 release and just make my own CD using that.

iTunes version is going to be (or at least should be) the 24/96 master converted directly to 256kbps. (I would expect the stream to be the same thing as the retail version).

It looks like the way to go for now digitally is iTunes and then the 24/96 master whenever that comes out (and if it comes out in the US).

As a side note, this is why I really like Amazon AutoRip. You order the physical album, and then get a digital version, too. You can then rip the CD and compare it to the Amazon digital download master and keep whatever version is better (usually both suck for their own reasons, FYI. One has clipping, the other has a brickwall cutting off higher frequencies). Mastered for iTunes is generally the way to go compared to Amazon if you're looking to go digital, though.

Onemic

Giorgio by Morodor is definitely my favourite track by a pretty large margin. Its epic in its length and pretty much hits all the right notes throughout. The drum solo craziness 3/4 of the way through solidified it for me.

Only track that I actually don't like is Contact. What's worse is that it starts out so well and then goes down the shitter with its repetitiveness.

ive let the album gestate in my mind a little bit and i think i like it better than i did than the first couple listens

however touch and giorgio have gotten worse on each subsequent listen, self-indulgent pigshit those songs are. i skip them everytime now.

f0rk

I enjoy the album a lot but I think they've left the doors wide open for Yeezus to come in for AOTY

I appreciate the move in a new direction but still sounding like Daft Punk, it's very enjoyable and a bit more laid back. But some of the tracks go a little long without really earning it, I don't think much will be lost in the radio edits.

I enjoy the album a lot but I think they've left the doors wide open for Yeezus to come in for AOTY

I appreciate the move in a new direction but still sounding like Daft Punk, it's very enjoyable and a bit more laid back. But some of the tracks go a little long without really earning it, I don't think much will be lost in the radio edits.

20/20 experience was better

Modern vampires of the city also was much better

Yeezus coming out in weeks and this album will be old news

Majine

Banned
Sad news, Romanthony has died.

Doandoridsdance said:
There are no concrete pieces of evidence or any official statements to this rumor, but a handful of DJs and fans are sending out “RIP” tweets and condolences for Romanthony, a producer who was most popularly known as the voice behind Daft Punk‘s “One More Time” (and “Too Long” from their second album, Discovery.

http://doandroidsdance.com/news/house-producer-and-voice-of-one-more-time-romanthony-rumored-to-have-died/

R.I.P.

SKINNER!

Banned
I'd wear that helmet all day everyday.
mowing the lawn
doing the dishes
walking the dog
jogging
perusing the library
eatin dinner
going to the beach
visiting museums

me too!

Speed dating
Hitting on chicks in the club
Candlelit dinners
Posting on Gaf.

"the most intensely human music that could be imagined right now. "

It's like these people don't listen to anything but dance music or something. That people are so sheltered from modern music is ridiculous. People are falling over themselves to come up with hyperboles for this album and most of them involve some bullshit implying that modern music is bad. It's bad if you're looking in the wrong places.
I completely agree

This is still my album of the year though

Air

Banned
Really enjoy the album so far. I definitely think its some of the more interesting mainstream music out now. It's very 'cool'. I've never been the biggest daft punk or electronic dance music fan, but this is pretty great so far.

At least this showed up before it's US release date...

2D0DCD47-387E-4CFA-A85D-AE5BE5B3FFA3-3693-000002A0413771BA_zps3107e469.jpg

Probably will start listening later today (it's half past midnight here in California)

Fabrik

Banned
Slightly disappointed it's more of an ambient album than a dancing one. The marketing was misleading.
My favourites are Instant Crush and Doin' It Right. Very catchy tunes. Some parts of Touch are quite powerful too. Overall I found there's always something missing or wrong in all the tracks (The beginning of Touch or Contact are too long for instance) and I always find myself waiting for the energetic part.

sephi22

Guys, what's the best way to get this album?

iTunes has it up for pre-order for $11.99.

Amazon has the CD for $9.99, but has this Auto-rip thing where you get the MP3 versions free when you buy the CD.

Is everyone getting it off Amazon?

Guys, what's the best way to get this album?

iTunes has it up for pre-order for $11.99.

Amazon has the CD for $9.99, but has this Auto-rip thing where you get the MP3 versions free when you buy the CD.

Is everyone getting it off Amazon?

If you're looking for the CD, Best Buy has a 7.99 offer at launch I believe.

Sadly, I don't share the love that GAF does for this album; I was bored beyond belief by it. The auto tune vocals and similar, repetitive production just didn't do it for me. The only song I cared for other than Get Lucky was Motherboard; everything else was meh. I don't like this new style for Daft Punk.

Metrotab

Banned
Even after listening to the album multiple times, the only track that doesn't grow on me is Motherboard. Such a bizarrely constructed song.

pringles

Modern vampires of the city also was much better
Man, I LOVE Vampire Weekend, but I'm only sort of a casual fan of Daft Punk and yet...

...I like RAM much, much more than Modern Vampires. Completely unexpected, and doesn't mean that Modern Vampires is bad (Everlasting Arms, Unbelievers, Diane Young and Ya Hey are awesome) but RAM is one of those albums I can just keep listening to on repeat over and over and over and not want to skip any songs, something I can't really say for MVOC.

Top Bottom