• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i dunno thats still too much imo...there are a ton of indies that put out presses/sleeves of that quality for much lower prices.

it still has nothing on the massive rip that was the mbv vinyl which had probably the cheapest, shittiest sleeve of any record I've ever owned (though the wax itself did sound great to be fair).

yep, I was looking at it Amoeba a week or two ago and one of the workers came by and opened it up for me and showed me the shoddy construction. It was tagged more than the Daft Punk record is, I'd be pissed if I dropped that kinda cash on it.

but I've already heard glowing reviews of the overall quality of the pressing and construction for RAM that 33 bucks is completely fair.

I'll probably end up picking up the Vinyl and the 24/96 Studio Master from HDTracks next week.

Get'sMad

Is it the norm for the club scene? Or is it mostly digital these days. I know some peeps like to just frame the thing on their wall.

its mostly digital these days.

vinyl sales have been rising over the last few years, but its still definitely a niche thing.

a group like DP will move vinyl though.

MBV kinda have an excuse in that they're self releasing. I own that record and it's not especially pleasant, but they give you a CD, lossless download an a good quality record for a reasonable price in the circumstances. Can't hate too much

wenis

I love that they kept the old Columbia vinyl stickers for the discs themselves. Such a classy look and inline with the rest of the catalog releases.

Is it the norm for the club scene? Or is it mostly digital these days. I know some peeps like to just frame the thing on their wall.

DJ actually spinning vinyl records at a club is rare now as mostly it's just plugging in the MacBook and hit play

I think it could be a fan collector thing

wenis

Daft punk albums (not including side stuff like Tron) will ALWAYS be in abundance

Flippers won't make a penny on these

HAA is still goin for a pretty penny, but yea definitely no cash to make there.

but most people don't know that.

Shaneus

Thanks for mentioning that, going to have to check for that album, July 15
No problemo. The full version of Axis is out now (though it's only the radio edit on YT). Something else you might be interested in checking out is his first full album in a while, under the name "Tracques", called Volume One. It's pretty left-of-centre and doesn't really do a anything that's being done right now, which is a good thing. There are some incredibly unique sounds and he does some *really* interesting time-signaturey things too.

-Mikey-

Meh.

That was my feeling after listening to the whole album for the first time. I listened to it again a few hours later and it's super catchy. Looking forward to Tuesday!

javac

Been listening to some older Daft Punk songs since I've been in the mood. Just got Too long gonzales version on right now <3

RoKKeR

Listening again, can't wait for the actual release so I can take it on the go.

I'd say that my biggest criticism is putting "Game of Love" second. It's just too slow, it's a mid-album track. The first four tracks of Discovery are all huge punches, and it's too bad RAM instantly pulls back after the Give Life Back to Music.

RAM is probably the best Daft Punk album I've ever heard. Beautiful stuff.

I mean Discovery is right there at the top for me, but I'm loving RAM precisely because it's a bit of an experiment. You can tell it's Daft Punk and it's still mostly different from their previous work.

I'm also fan of space and italo disco so, to me, listening to an album like this, published in 2013, feels great.

Jedi2016

You can tell it's Daft Punk..
That's the best part of this, despite it's almost completely different sound. It still feels like DP. That's why I LOVE IT SO MUCH. At first, I picked out just a few of my favorites to listen to (which was still about half the album, which is almost unheard of for me), now I'm down to listening to the whole album each time.

Any word on a legitimate 24/96 release anywhere?

This may have been posted already, apologies if it has:

7digital have the album download (320kbps MP3) for £5

That's a UK link, I'm not sure if it's purchasable from outside the UK but it may be.

Yus, cancelled my iTunes pre-order since I remembered 7digital loves doing this kind of sale.

[Edit] To elaborate, 7digital traditionally has a "£5 for a big new album" the first Monday after release, after the initial charting period (which goes Sunday to Sunday). Since RAM launched on Europe on Friday, it's entered it's second charting period yesterday, and lo and behold 7digital has it for a fiver.

RoKKeR

That's the best part of this, despite it's almost completely different sound. It still feels like DP. That's why I LOVE IT SO MUCH. At first, I picked out just a few of my favorites to listen to (which was still about half the album, which is almost unheard of for me), now I'm down to listening to the whole album each time.

Any word on a legitimate 24/96 release anywhere?

This happened to me as well. Songs that I thought were extremely skippable at first listen are now favorites on the album. (which has become a large majority of the album) Instant Crush comes to mind as an example.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does the Daft Club card still come in Discovery CDs? I wish I knew what I did with mine...

Shaneus

CD - $9.99

VINYL - $33.99

I know vinyl's not as popular, but come on.
Man, I think that's about what it cost me to get the limited release of Kavinsky's LP (not including shipping to "Australie" from France). It is quite rich.

Not agreeing on the song choices but I see your point. I guess Im more annoyed with how incredibly perfect Axis would be with a cheesy love PSB lyric.
Possibly, but I think that after their last album (which I haven't listened to, but was apparently over-ballady and a bit mushy) they wanted to turn it up a bit. Lu Cont (according to someone or other) said that he was inspired by that 12-inch remixes LP they put out in the 80s.

Thanks, Axis is great.
No problemo! The more people that know about it, the better :)

I find it ironic how DP makes an album with "real" lyrics while Pet shop throws out a single with a bunch of words that could have been a DP lyric. But the music is still so PSB, thankfully.
Yeah, I think they went in completely different directions which is quite odd. But thankfully, both are significantly different and an improvement over what's popular and being played in (most) clubs at the moment. Hopefully they'll inspire people to make tracks that aren't chockers full of "massive drops" and inelegant, rough-sounding synth lines.

DJ actually spinning vinyl records at a club is rare now as mostly it's just plugging in the MacBook and hit play

I think it could be a fan collector thing
Pretty much. I'm starting to buy stuff as something to have a keepsake of, as well as for when I finally get myself (read: borrow from a mate who has far too many) a 1200mk2 so I can just do this sort of thing when the mood takes me.
I tend to flick between music a lot and as a result, my CD collection is in complete disarray. But that's harder to accomplish with vinyl, so I guess it kind of fills that purpose.

My biggest problem is that, to me, it doesn't feel like Daft Punk. It feels like a dance music act that have created a live album, but there's nothing that strikes me as having any specific feel... which is a massive shame. I think they could've crapped out anything and as long as it had that vibe, I would've been satisfied. But as it is, they've done what is create something that's exceptional quality (despite me not really digging it, I can still see where most people are coming from) but doesn't sound like them.

I mean, even if you look at acts like The Prodigy and what they're doing now, it's drastically different from what they had on Experience, but you can still hear it's them. Can't think of any other groups in a similar situation (maybe PSB?) but I really struggle to find anything that screams to me "This is Daft Punk and we're making a live album".

aceface

You know, I love this album not for the 70's throwback stuff but for the 90's techno throwback vibe I get on songs like Georgio by Morodor and Motherboard...not to say songs that came out in the 90's but stuff I discovered in the late 90's in high school....it brings me back to say 1998 when I was listening to Kraftwerk and Leftfield albums on my headphones late at night. That's an awesome vibe and it hooks me right in.

flippedb

Banned
Any particular reason why, or are they just doing it for the hell of it?

I'd assume you could just run to another store and pick it up for a cheaper price.

It's how things work if you're not a part of the 1st world. Us Latin Americans get the worst prices for everything. I'll end up buying the CD from Amazon.com, and bringing it over with a friend who travels to the US on a regular basis or something.

I largely agree with the Pitchfork review commentary. Except for maybe the bit about people listening to this in ten years the same way we listen to Discovery. We may very well be, but it's waaaaay too early to be calling that.

MattDoza

Daft%20Punk%20-%20Get%20Lucky%20Punk%20-%20Low%20Res.jpg

I guess there was an art show dedicated to Daft Punk, or just some DP stuff at an exhibit, in San Fransisco. Paul Shipper piece. Thought it was too awesome to not share here on GAF.

bomma_man

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2013/05/27/130527crmu_music_frerejones

Daft Punk’s fourth studio album, “Random Access Memories,” is an attempt to make the kind of disco record that they sampled so heavily for “Discovery.” As such, it serves as a tribute to those who came before them and as a direct rebuke to much of what they’ve spawned. Only intermittently electronic in nature, and depending largely on live musicians, it is extremely ambitious, and as variable in quality as any popular album you will hear this year. Noodly jazz fusion instrumentals? Absolutely. Soggy poetry and kid choirs? Yes, please. Clichés that a B-list teen-pop writer would discard? Bring it on. The duo has become so good at making records that I replay parts of “Random Access Memories” repeatedly while simultaneously thinking it is some of the worst music I’ve ever heard. Daft Punk engages the sound and the surface of music so lovingly that all seventy-five loony minutes of “Random Access Memories” feel fantastic, even when you are hearing music you might never seek out. This record raises a radical question: Does good music need to be good?

lol

NotLiquid

I just can't get over how perfect Give Life Back To Music and Contact are. For a band to be absent from making new studio material for eight years and come back swinging with such a great opener is awesome. It was so hard not to smile to that opening riff. Contact is also a crazy beautiful sendoff to the album. It's like the rebuttal to Human After All (the track), it feels like it makes everything come full circle.

Top Bottom