• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

pestul

I'm really starting to feel what 'Touch' is all about now.. after a couple of listens I was still 'wtf'.

I can't pick a favorite track though. I really really like 4-5 of them.

Raiden

Banned
I'm really starting to feel what 'Touch' is all about now.. after a couple of listens I was still 'wtf'.

I can't pick a favorite track though. I really really like 4-5 of them.

Touch was one of the few i liked from the start. I'm just now getting the hang of the rest of em.

bitoriginal

Beyond and Motherboard are like liquid ear nectar. So beautifully chilled. I've never been a huge Daft Punk fan but this album is just so smooth and accomplished. You can really feel how much love has gone into crafting it.

Jzero

Can't wait to conveniently listen to it through Spotify. It's annoying having to search for the songs on other sites.

cdyhybrid

Homework is amazing every time I go back to listen to it. Rollin' and Scratchin' into Teachers is probably my favorite section.

Teachers is just so funky. God damn.

KingDirk

Good lord, the part of "Fragments of Time" where the drums start going double fast and you get the vocoder/talk box "woh-woh-woh"s leaves me grinning every time.

cilonen

This is a freaking amazing album. Touches absolute genius at moments. On a first pass I love the Moroder track, Lose Yourself to Dance, Beyond, Motherboard and Contact... Contact. What an ending.

Shaneus

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=&search_album=random+access+memories

According to The Dynamic Range Database, the 24-bit 88.2KHz Studio Masters have less dynamic range than the CD! I want to confirm for myself, since it says the format is FLAC but the source is lossy, but all the same...
Holy crap, I've never heard of such a database but I must subscribe to their newsletter RIGHT NOW. Awesome.

Edit: Discovery is even better. Wonder how hard it is to find a vinyl copy of it, given that (I assume) there'd be absolutely stacks printed.

Yeah, I have to say that RAM actually lived up to the hype for me. Every song is gold. Slept to it last night and work up with a smile on my face. Even @ 192 kb/s, listening to it on good headphones is the only way to go. Lots of great bits and nuances that is must for fully enjoying the song. Streams on shitty laptop speakers was a bad idea, lol.

Can't wait to get the CD version.

bomma_man

I thought the New Yorker review was more about how the record sounds amazing (which it unquestionably does), despite the songs not being particularly good.

Shaneus

I thought the New Yorker review was more about how the record sounds amazing (which it unquestionably does), despite the songs not being particularly good.
Yeah, that's what I gathered. It's possible to have a good sounding record without it actually being any good (subjectively speaking, obviously). I'd almost consider buying it on vinyl for that point alone... maybe.

nullref

I guess it raises the question of whether that's even a meaningful distinction.

(That's what I was thinking about after reading the article, anyway. If a song sounds good and is pleasurable to listen to, how can it also be not good? Is it simply because it clashes with some preconceived notion of good taste?)

bomma_man

I guess it raises the question of whether that's even a meaningful distinction.

(That's what I was thinking about after reading the article, anyway. If a song sounds good and is pleasurable to listen to, how can it also be not good? Is it simply because it clashes with some preconceived notion of good taste?)

I think there is a distinction. Lose yourself to dance for example, the drums and guitar and bass sound amazing but the song as a whole is a repetitive slog. It's less than the sum of its parts (that could apply to the whole album).

DocSeuss

The first time I played Touch, my girlfriend hated it. Said it reminded her of Phantom of the Opera.

So I blasted it throughout most of the weekend. By Sunday night, she begrudgingly told me that she was starting to like it.

Such is the power of Touch.

I almost break out in tears with that fatal cut near the end.

cdyhybrid

Homework > RAM = Discovery

It's close though. Haven't listened to Human After All and Alive 2007 is its own special case.

I reserve the right to change the above ranking.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So, digitally speaking, what's gonna be the best audio quality this'll be available in? Is anyone releasing a direct digital 24 bit lossless version?

DJ88

Fucking BASTARDS!!!!!!!!

iQprkvzVgoTSG.png

I live in a high rise so the lobby downstairs always receives packages. First time this has ever happened. I was so looking forward to going through the vinyl tonight when I got home from class :(

cdyhybrid

Fucking BASTARDS!!!!!!!!

iQprkvzVgoTSG.png

I live in a high rise so the lobby downstairs always receives packages. First time this has ever happened. I was so looking forward to going through the vinyl tonight when I got home from class :(

There's a service that lets you release them from requiring a signature for packages. You gotta do it before they deliver it, though.

DJ88

There's a service that lets you release them from requiring a signature for packages. You gotta do it before they deliver it, though.

Yeah but like I said, this is the first time it's happened. I've had several packages delivered from UPS without me being there to sign or choosing that service. The front desk always receives and signs for everyone's packages.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I think Discovery is a stronger record, but RAM is pretty awesome. Other than a few tracks, Homework isn't my cup of tea. Can't wait until my record gets here.

So, digitally speaking, what's gonna be the best audio quality this'll be available in? Is anyone releasing a direct digital 24 bit lossless version?

Best known digital quality so far is the lossy release, which I'm guessing is the 320kbps MP3s included with the vinyl. Slightly better mastering than the CD. The album's available in 24-bit 88.2kHz, but the mastering of that seems to be the worst of them all, from the MP3 encoded version of it. We'll know about the US Mastered for iTunes version tomorrow.

Laughlin

I think RAM and Homework are pretty neck and neck personally. I don't even think it's possible for them to top Discovery at this point.

Top Bottom