• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Well to finally put the mystery to bed, from the album LP itself for Touch:

"Hold on. If love is the answer you're home."

I figured it out the other day though. :p

I guess it raises the question of whether that's even a meaningful distinction.

(That's what I was thinking about after reading the article, anyway. If a song sounds good and is pleasurable to listen to, how can it also be not good? Is it simply because it clashes with some preconceived notion of good taste?)

This is what I took from it, too. The review seems more positive than critical, on the whole.

Fox Mulder

So is the cd going to be on sale $9.99 everywhere? I thought about getting the digital album off amazon, but it's a few dollars more expensive than a physical disc that needs to be produced and shipped. I can rip the cd myself while looking at the book or something.

amnesiac

So is the cd going to be on sale $9.99 everywhere? I thought about getting the digital album off amazon, but it's a few dollars more expensive than a physical disc that needs to be produced and shipped. I can rip the cd myself while looking at the book or something.

Best Buy has the CD for $7.99 if you print a coupon off their facebook/website

Welcome to team Motherboard.

iv6mM3EeikSYd.gif

Downloaded by checking my Recently Added. Enjoyed Give Life Back To Music, think Get Lucky went on for too long. Listening to the rest.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm actually pretty surprised that Touch is leading my most played of all the songs on RAM - When I first heard it I thought the intro was going to be too long but man it really nails it. Williams' world-weary warble explodes with personality as the song picks up and I love the sudden dropoff just before the song ends. Instant Crush brings up the number 2, and really strange lyrically compared to the rest of the album which seems to put an emphasis on more positive feelings associated with the night life of the era. But I love the juxtaposition of the driving bassline and steady beat against Julian's downtrodden story of unrequited love. I know I can certainly relate with some of his frustrations. "I listened to your problems/now listen to mine/I didn't want to anymore."

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm putting Fragments of Time or Contact at my number 3.

Been listening since the release yesterday (vinyl not arriving until thursday, and figured I would be listening to spotify the most anyway) and I don't understand the hate for the Giorgio talking parts - it kind of reminds me of Kanye's "Last Call" from High School Dropout, which I've always loved.

Also being a musical kind of guy I love "Touch" :)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
As someone not particularly into electronic dance music (though I enjoy Discovery - who doesn't?), this is a phenomenal album. I've listened to 10-20 times now and it is truly excellent. At first I was very skeptical but then it really dug its claws in.

My stand out tracks at the moment;
Touch - an easy one. I love the Floyd-esque sound scape at the start.
Fragments of Time - so catchy, very, very nearly cheesy but it just toes the line.
Giorgio by Morodor - thought I'd get bored of the monologues but I haven't yet - they are ingrained into the structure of the song.

Touch is the highlight of the album.

I didn't care for it at first, but I just happened to watch a movie called Phantom of the Paradise this weekend. It was a rock opera written by Paul Williams, who is featured in the song and it gave me a whole new appreciation for William's style, which caused me to re-evaluate my opinion of the track.

Nugg

I keep hearing RAM everywhere I go it's great. And not just Get Lucky. The burger place I was at earlier was playing Giorgio by Moroder and Beyond was playing at the convenience store. Then I went back to my car and they played Instant Crush on the radio. Daft Punk everywhere!

SKINNER!

Banned
OK, after listening to the album for a while now. I think it's time to dish out my ratings:

Give Life Back to Music - 4/5 Love the uplifting start and how it then goes into complete "chill" mode.

The Game of Love - 4/5 Got that seductive, moody feel.

Giorgio by Moroder - 5/5 Stunning. Have no gripes with the interview/talking segment. Inspirational stuff especially the part about having freeing your mind and no preconception. Again, very laid back music. Just makes you want to sit back in a lounge area with a drink and watch the world go by. It reminds me of Hotline Miami and Scarface.

Within - 3/5 It's ok. Piano segments are great but I find it quite long.

Instant Crush - 5/5. Amazing! Got a WHAM! vibe to it. Chorus vocals coupled with the synth/keyboard segment just sounds sublime. Vocoder use is more subtle here compared to other tracks. As a rock music listener, I felt the guitar solo was a bit weak/added on at the last minute.

Lose Yourself to Dance - 5/5. Summer track right there. Nile Rodgers steals it for me with that guitar riff. Pharell does great. My song of choice if I ever find it at a karaoke bar.

Touch 5/5 - Loved this track since I first heard it. Like something out of a musical. Story starts about wanting something so bad. Getting it, losing it and then appreciating it now that it's gone. Very cheesy but so enjoyable and fun to sing along to. The "hold on" church choir-esque chants with orchestral pieces in the back sounds epic.

Get Lucky - 5/5 See "Lose yourself to Dance". Love how this starts right after the end of Touch. Bizarrely perfect switch of mood.

Beyond - 4/5. Grand video game intro that dives into a smooth track. Great song to listen to while driving.

Motherboard 3/5 - Drags on a bit but the electronic Tron stuff around the end is great. Depending on my mood I'd probably skip this along with Within and...

Fragments of Time 2/5 - Not feeling it at all. Reminds me of a weak country song. Maybe it's a grower.

Doin it Right 4/5 - Hated this song at first but it's grown on me. Another great driving song.

Contact 5/5 - The perfect gym track! The build-up, the astronaut sound bites, the way it crumbles at the end (Similar to the way RATM's first and third album ended). So good.

Apart from the little dip in pace between Beyond and Contact, This is one solid album. Hoping that Horizon adds something more.

Top Bottom