• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

great album.

the only tracks i'm not really feeling are the game of love, within, and motherboard. motherboard and within feel a little out of place, and i just prefer something more up-tempo instead of listening to the game of love.

An update on the best digital version of the album available:

Edit: See Post 4972 for my final conclusion.

I got the CD today and was able to compare the sound waves to the Mastered for iTunes version, and I can say with confidence that the mastering between the Mastered for iTunes and CD versions are completely identical, so you're safe buying either version.

I need to get my hands on the 320kbps MP3s that come with the Vinyl to look at those waves still, because supposedly that's the highest quality mastered version, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

By the way, the 24-bit/88.2kHz Studio Master version of the album is available on HDTracks in the US now. If it's the same as the French version, however, you'll probably want to stay away.

Loving the album, BTW. Can't wait to give it a full listen during a road trip this weekend. Listening to Daft Punk on road trips is one of my favorite things to do.

Glorious album. Love it. Perfect.

Kids won't quite understand the album part, not the individual song part. Sum of its parts, etc. Saw some other comparisons to the Dark Side of the Moon type albums, and this definitely fits. It's a front-to-back experience, Get Lucky is a bit of a Trojan Horse because it's taken out of context. You need to understand why it follows Touch.

oni_saru

Okay finished the album. Time, Fragments of Time, Doin' It Right are the three i just can't get into.

The rest is pretty awesome/great!! Great album!! Daft Punk <3 <3

MattDoza

An update on the best digital version of the album available:

I got the CD today and was able to compare the sound waves to the Mastered for iTunes version, and I can say with confidence that the mastering between the Mastered for iTunes and CD versions are completely identical, so you're safe buying either version.

I need to get my hands on the 320kbps MP3s that come with the Vinyl to look at those waves still, because supposedly that's the highest quality mastered version, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

By the way, the 24-bit/88.2kHz Studio Master version of the album is available on HDTracks in the US now. If it's the same as the French version, however, you'll probably want to stay away.

Loving the album, BTW. Can't wait to give it a full listen during a road trip this weekend. Listening to Daft Punk on road trips is one of my favorite things to do.

Cool. I feel good about getting the CD version, now. Not that I ever felt bad, just nice to know I chose one of the quality choices.

Suzaku

I listened to it a couple times and I'm not feeling it. It's not bad, but nothing stands out to me either. My favorite Daft Punk tracks were always the slower ones, like "Something About Us", which makes it odd I don't like this album because it's full of slower moody tracks. I don't know, I don't hate it, I don't like it, the album is just meh.

tagrat

Pre-ordered on Amazon and am still waiting to get my mp3 version while it is shipping. Anyone else still waiting or have you been able to access the autorip version?

Pre-ordered on Amazon and am still waiting to get my mp3 version while it is shipping. Anyone else still waiting or have you been able to access the autorip version?

It showed up about 3pm local time. Not sure if it is timed out that way, but, was into the afternoon until I had the AutoRip available.

OK, so whoever converted the Studio Masters to 320kbps MP3s and uploaded the entry to the Dynamic Range database was an idiot.

I went ahead and bought the HDTracks version of the album myself to check the quality, and below is what I found.

7DY13Jy.jpg

du7XxzS.jpg
Converting to 16-bit/44.1kHz 320kbps AAC using iTunes results in tons of clipping being introduced (the red lines), and all frequencies (most likely being detected as noise, but clipping is happening all the same) above 22kHz being removed. So basically, the point becomes that uploading a 320kbps conversion of the Studio Masters as a representative sample of the Studio Master's quality is just a dumb thing to do.

As you can see in the second image, the Studio Masters seems to be the same Master as the CD and Mastered for iTunes version. Loudness is about the same, making the waves look almost identical. The only difference is the Studio Master version has absolutely NO clipping in any of the songs, compared to the iTunes and CD version, which clip in various different places, albiet not terribly. The Studio Master, as you can see in the purple charts, also has TONS of frequency, AKA noise, above 22kHz. Whether this is a good thing to you can be likened to the preference for film grain in (analog) movies. Would you rather have a Blu-ray that contains all the film grain because the video is so high quality? Or would you rather have a smooth looking picture at the cost of a little detail that you probably won't/can't even notice?

All the same, however, dynamic range and loudness is the same between the Studio Master, iTunes, and CD version. If you're going digital, the best quality is the Qobuz/HDTracks Studio Master, by a margin. If you want better mastering, you're going to need to get the vinyl.

Jigolo

Just listened to the album. Thought it was pretty good, but not mind blowing. Still enjoyed almost all the songs.

-GJ-

Horizon is a pretty cool track. I see why they released it as a bonus cut though. I'll just keep it separate from the rest of the album.

Fox Mulder

Why is the MP3 album more than the CD album on Amazon :| I don't want a crummy CD but it is cheaper...

I thought it was stupid, so I got the CD at retail for $10 and ripped a 320kbps copy myself.

Was the first physical CD I've bought in forever.

TeegsD

On Touch right now. This album is too good. I know what I'm listening to and fro' work for the rest of the week.

Also, don't mean to beat a dead horse but any word on a US tour for the album?

Not the best selling album of all time, but one of them.

#1 in 73 countries?

You have to remember this is a daily chart. It means its outselling everything else right now. What other high profile releases were there today?

What would be impressive is if, say, it was number one in the weekly charts for several weeks. Something very unlikely to happen.

Just had an amazing fucking thought. What if this album becomes an all time best seller!?

If it sells well consistently, it may outsell other albums released this year in terms of total sales. Their marketing and their single release schedule has to be on point though for this to happen.

Mairu

Why is the MP3 album more than the CD album on Amazon :| I don't want a crummy CD but it is cheaper...

You can buy the CD album and they give you the MP3s (AutoRip) anyways. It doesn't really make sense to me why the mp3 album is more expensive.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
So odd. I got the vinyl today from amazon, but they didn't give me the audio rip/it's not in my cloud player still. Contacted CS who had no idea wtf I was talking about ._. and refunded me $8 instead.

edit- lol it just showed up right now. So I got the vinyl for $8 cheaper. Thanks dumb CS rep! *high five*

Bryan1321

Banned
Just had the first listen on Mex-Spotify

Very good first impression

Call me crazy but the one im linking so far is Giorgio by Moroder it just works for me

McNei1y

Gave it a listen through today at various points. I started at work and had to finish the album a few hours later at home. I'm going to give it another few listens (obviously) but damn, Motherboard is solid.

Top Bottom