• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Downtown shot but instead of sleetpocalypse, it is snowpocalypse :p

QLPcENj.jpg

Ultratech

Yeah...it's still snowing here.

Sitting in at least several inches right now. :\

Been snowing non-stop since at least before 9am.

Got to do some filming today for work in the snow, had fun. Seems like this whole thing turned out worse than what they were expecting.

It's been snowing like crazy since before ten and it's still coming down hard here in Denton. If I had to work right now I would hate it, but it's amazing right now!

Aeana

It's nice to have the snow, but at the same time, it's not nice that it's so hard to get places, and a lot of places are closed. Tonight's dinner plans ruined!

It's nice to have the snow, but at the same time, it's not nice that it's so hard to get places, and a lot of places are closed. Tonight's dinner plans ruined!
Yeah everything is closing down this afternoon. The roads are fine though, people just stupid.

sethbot

I knew it was going to snow today, but I had no idea it would be as consistent as it was. I drove to UTA and school was cancelled by the time I got there. It took me even longer to get home. Oh well, I enjoyed hanging out in the snow for a bit.

I heard there's going to be freezing rain tomorrow so the roads might not be much better.

Took me 45 mins to get to DFW today. We live in Irving, very close to the 635 ...

I work at DFW... I was supposed to be there exactly 2 hours ago.

Nope. Still sitting at home being a lazy bum haha.

Well, it doesn't help that my Miata is useless in this weather. Got summer tires on it and not only is it unsafe, there's basically no grip when it's super cold and wet. So rather than risking at least $1k for repairs I'm staying at home. I was actually about to call in 3 hours ago but I got an email saying it's cool if you can't show up coz obviously this weather is ridiculous.

That said I wish I was at work though, I would've hit some sweet sweet overtime if I showed up and stayed for 2 hours lol.

I was hearing Fort Worth was a mess road wise. It's supposed to get worse tomorrow right? I got everything I need for the weekend though, stay safe everyone driving out there with the crazy speeders.

What are the ugly buildings in the bottom right? Apartments? They seem out of place.
So I'm assuming your dyslexic as bottom right seemed fairly normal and bottom left has some apartments that are small and not tall like the rest? :p

Those are the North End apartments across from the W. They are 4-5 floors tall but in also 17 floors up.

I work at DFW... I was supposed to be there exactly 2 hours ago.

Nope. Still sitting at home being a lazy bum haha.

Well, it doesn't help that my Miata is useless in this weather. Got summer tires on it and not only is it unsafe, there's basically no grip when it's super cold and wet. So rather than risking at least $1k for repairs I'm staying at home. I was actually about to call in 3 hours ago but I got an email saying it's cool if you can't show up coz obviously this weather is ridiculous.

That said I wish I was at work though, I would've hit some sweet sweet overtime if I showed up and stayed for 2 hours lol.

This morning I Uber X'd into work as I was thinking it was going to be bad. Went from Victory Park to Plano. Amazingly we got their fairly quick but passed a few accidents heading up there.

I also didn't want to risk driving as I'm in the same situation as you. I drive a Lotus and yeah... Screw driving that on the road in this weather. I uber'd back home. It was surge pricing. Thankfully the company is covering it.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Managed to get into work today, was pretty slow and not so bad. Cant decide if I want to get Whataburger and gorge myself for one meal or Taco Bell to have many things to eat throughout the evening. A decision must be made swiftly though.

The major roads in Denton arent so bad as of right now

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I'm assuming your dyslexic as bottom right seemed fairly normal and bottom left has some apartments that are small and not tall like the rest? :p

Those are the North End apartments across from the W. They are 4-5 floors tall but in also 17 floors up.

lol yes opps, left side i ment.

MickD

I wanna head up to see Tops at Three links in a couple of weeks. Anybody been there?

Three Links is pretty small but fun, kinda hard getting outside in the back if there's a ton of people. If the weather is nice they open up the doors to let some air in, my buddy used to bartend there. Normal "Deep Ellum" drink prices. $5 Tall PBR's etc.

Managed to get into work today, was pretty slow and not so bad. Cant decide if I want to get Whataburger and gorge myself for one meal or Taco Bell to have many things to eat throughout the evening. A decision must be made swiftly though.

The major roads in Denton arent so bad as of right now

Amazingly, when the weather gets terrible everybody flocks to the coffee shops and beer places. The weather may be awful, but we don't let the roads get bad enough to keep us from going places.

Roads were not fine. I had to exit W635 after a huge wreck occurred on th way home. I think they ended up shutting down the highway due to deteriorating conditions for a while. My gf has to go to work tomorrow. A little worried about that.

You guys know of any good retro game shops around Collin County/Mckinney? Trying to rebuild my PS2 library.
That reminds me, FX Game Xchange down on Eldorado had a copy of Steambot Chronicles...I should have jumped on it when they were in business. Now it's just the games section at our local Half-Price or FX down in Plano on Parker.

I'd love to have a meet-up with you guys this spring, but not everyone gets a school holiday like I will.

That reminds me, FX Game Xchange down on Eldorado had a copy of Steambot Chronicles...I should have jumped on it when they were in business. Now it's just the games section at our local Half-Price or FX down in Plano on Parker.

I'd love to have a meet-up with you guys this spring, but not everyone gets a school holiday like I will.

Yeah, is that CGX in Stonebriar still around? The thing about Half Price is they never have shit.

Movie Trading Company on Preston in Frisco has a decent selection of old games but it's difficult find any gems there and when they do get anything good they will often overprice the shit out of it. I wish FX had some type of online inventory system that they would have on their website.

cHaotix8

Does anyone work downtown? I'm going to be working downtown soon and my company doesn't have a parking garage. So my options are to ride the dart train or pay for parking? Are there some cheap parking lots down there for daily parking?

Parking downtown isn't particularly cheap downtown. Check with your company to see if they get discounts on any of the parking garages. You're probably looking at $150 a month at least at some of these places.

I catch the DART and my company offers passes for $50 a month. Last year I used my Pass that I got from being a UTD student which meant I got to ride for free, which I really miss now.

Also, DFW drivers are the worst things about winter weather.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Parking downtown isn't particularly cheap downtown. Check with your company to see if they get discounts on any of the parking garages. You're probably looking at $150 a month at least at some of these places.

I catch the DART and my company offers passes for $50 a month. Last year I used my Pass that I got from being a UTD student which meant I got to ride for free, which I really miss now.

DFW drivers are the worst thing about DFW period. A high percentage of people here are lunatics behind the wheel (or just incompetent). Some of the friendliest people I've ever met so far are in Dallas, at least compared to up north people, but get them behind a wheel and they all become middle finger wilding, horn honking, incapable of merging correctly dip shits.

After a few months here my wife and I lowered our car insurance deductible knowing the probability of an accident is so much higher here than anywhere else we've been.

I have a friend that works at the same company as you. I think he is Dir of User Exp.

BTW - Happy birthday ;D

I also didn't want to risk driving as I'm in the same situation as you. I drive a Lotus and yeah... Screw driving that on the road in this weather. I uber'd back home. It was surge pricing. Thankfully the company is covering it.

How do you like driving a Lotus around here? I drove my Miata on the stiffest settings for my shocks for 6 months and it was fine for the most part but when you hit the crappy roads it was fnckin hell lol. I've dialed it down to 80% stiffness and it's more tolerable but I still gotta watch for a couple of areas.

You guys know of any good retro game shops around Collin County/Mckinney? Trying to rebuild my PS2 library.

Try checking out Entertainmart or Game Over Videogames in south Arlington. I know it's not in Collin county, but I know GOV has a fantastic selection of retro games all the way to the Atari 2600 up to the last generation. Entertainmart also has a decent selection of PS2 games last time I was there, but they seem to be overpriced.

This morning I Uber X'd into work as I was thinking it was going to be bad. Went from Victory Park to Plano. Amazingly we got their fairly quick but passed a few accidents heading up there.

General PSA, but I'm quoting you since you recently mentioned it. May want to change your Uber password as they were semi-recently hacked.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What kind of Lotus? Nice

How do you like driving a Lotus around here? I drove my Miata on the stiffest settings for my shocks for 6 months and it was fine for the most part but when you hit the crappy roads it was fnckin hell lol. I've dialed it down to 80% stiffness and it's more tolerable but I still gotta watch for a couple of areas.

I've never even thought about getting softer shocks for my S2K.
I'm tired of it to be honest.

Basically got 4-5 inches of sleet, at least in Denton/Collin county and up.

I guess it just depends on when the temp turns today. I remember Dallas had a lot of power outages, and school was canceled for like 4 days in Denton. The Ice kept falling from the building and they couldn't OK it was safe for kids to go back.

Today just feels like the same setup. Winter stuff starting at 4-5pm.

I think I have the date right. It was either Nov 13 or Jan 14

Pagusas

Elden Member
Basically got 4-5 inches of sleet, at least in Denton/Collin county and up.

I guess it just depends on when the temp turns today. I remember Dallas had a lot of power outages, and school was canceled for like 4 days in Denton. The Ice kept falling from the building and they couldn't OK it was safe for kids to go back.

Today just feels like the same setup. Winter stuff starting at 4-5pm.

I think I have the date right. It was either Nov 13 or Jan 14

Ugh, I have to drive over to our new house for the final walk through today, and have a major shoot with our CEO tomorrow that we rented $800 worth of equipment for. Would hate for thngs to get cancled and be unable to film.

Speaking of filming, I'm having to hash out an idea today for a shoot Tuesday. I don't know what they want from it, really. Feels like a creative wall has been reached.

I hope your shoot is inside, tho.

Honestly isn't bad. Feels pretty comfy driving most of the time. It does grab onto every groove in the road though and is incredibly light so it can take a bit of concentration to drive.

What kind of Lotus? Nice
2013 Lotus Evora

Thankfully I'm flying to PAX for work so im avoiding the chaos. I just took off before the crazy.

cHaotix8

Yeah, it'll probably be rough tomorrow morning but I see this just being a one day thing. Winter 2013 was way worse than what this looks like it'll be.

Top Bottom