• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Wreav

Banned
you should look at apartments in the village.

lol no. the whole idea that everyone needs to live in that shithole at some point in their Dallas adventure is so bunk.

we lived around midway and frankford, super easy drive to addison in the morning, no more than 10 minutes, and was far enough away that it was a little more quiet than addison. super easy access to the GBT too.

phen0m24

Really wanted to move to DFW in 2005. Couldn't get a job at that point.

Now would never be able to sell my place in NJ. :(

Love the people, love the temperature - really enjoyed being there.

Not many trees where we were - but I guess those could be projectiles in a tornado. :(

Wreav

Banned
As a not-millennial-making-six-figures, I have never really felt the appeal of the metroplex. I'd only want to stay here if I were single, making bank, and living downtown. The fact that all the good suburbs are an hour away blows.

Pagusas

Elden Member
As a not-millennial-making-six-figures, I have never really felt the appeal of the metroplex. I'd only want to stay here if I were single, making bank, and living downtown. The fact that all the good suburbs are an hour away blows.

We live in the suburbs and love it. We see it the opposite. We like not being in downtown (City life sucks, hate high density areas), but we love the fact we have access to all the amenities city life offers.

We love that we can choose to live rural, subburban or an urban life all within one major area. We choose far north west Frisco as we wanted a bit quieter area but still are within 40 minutes of everything that is fun to us.

eggwolio

lol no. the whole idea that everyone needs to live in that shithole at some point in their Dallas adventure is so bunk.

we lived around midway and frankford, super easy drive to addison in the morning, no more than 10 minutes, and was far enough away that it was a little more quiet than addison. super easy access to the GBT too.

I don't subscribe to any sort of "everyone needs to" ideal, I just know it's less expensive and a decent location. I live and work "shithole" adjacent(in a much worse neighborhood, actually) and it suits my needs just fine.

So have any of you guys been to the Dallas Symphony Orchestra? I've been having an itch lately to go to a symphony and was wondering if any of you have been.

besada

Banned
So have any of you guys been to the Dallas Symphony Orchestra? I've been having an itch lately to go to a symphony and was wondering if any of you have been.

Multiple times. Go, it's lovely. If you can, try to find one of the showings that features the pipe organ, as it was designed in concert with the architecture of the building to produce phenomenal sound. It'll make the hairs stand up on your arms.

The entire building is beautiful. It was designed by world-class architect I.M. Pei (the guy who designed the glass pyramid part of the Louvre), in consultation with acoustician Russel Johnson, designed to produce nearly perfect acoustics in any seat. The acoustician wanted to be buried within the structure upon his death.

On April 25th they've got the organist from Concertgebouw in Amsterdam playing on the Fisk Opus 100, which should be amazing. Later, on June 6th, Grammy winning organist Paul Jacobs will be there,

We like to sit in the boxes on the wings, but there are no bad seats for sound.

I'll be coming down to Dallas next week to scope out a new apartment. I'll be working in Coppell but I'm wanting to see how bad of a commute it would be if i lived closer to Dallas. I assume traffic would be flooding into the city in the morning and I would be heading towards the outskirts. I guess I'll see how accurate that assumption is soon enough.

Anyone have some areas I should check out? If not go sit and visit but to at least drive by?

y2dvd

I'll be coming down to Dallas next week to scope out a new apartment. I'll be working in Coppell but I'm wanting to see how bad of a commute it would be if i lived closer to Dallas. I assume traffic would be flooding into the city in the morning and I would be heading towards the outskirts. I guess I'll see how accurate that assumption is soon enough.

Anyone have some areas I should check out? If not go sit and visit but to at least drive by?

What type of scenery you looking to check out?

Schlep

Coppell is hardly the outskirts, and (from what I've heard) traffic on 635 is pretty awful at the moment. The thing about DFW, and especially the Dallas side, is that people don't largely drive downtown to work. So you get the joy of there not really being a with traffic or against traffic pattern, for the most part.

The DSO played very well last time I went to a performance, but that was the Zelda concert series and I don't know for myself how they do with usual repertoire. Building itself has okay parking.

woodchuck

Driving from dallas to coppell isn't that bad of a commute since all the traffic will be the opposite side.

If you're thinking about living in dallas, neighborhoods you can check out (in no particular order)

1) lower Greenville
2) uptown
3) design district
4) bishop arts district (more for food and drinks)
5) knox Henderson

- you can also check out klyde warren/arts district if you want to kill an afternoon

akileese

DFW GAF. Get your cars inside if possible. Storm front has potential for hail.

Edit: Hail already confirmed west of Ft. Worth.

I've got mine under the car port thankfully but google is sending out those alert buzzers to people's phones warning of severe storms, flash floods, and hail. Be safe everyone.

akileese

Front of storm line is just hitting my apartment on Dallas Addison border,

Here too in Carrollton. It's moving incredibly fast (all of the warnings are only for another 15 or 20 minutes) but good god was it sort of scary. You could hear the torrential rain hitting the windows followed by the hail. Sounds like it's ending up now here.

acksman

Flower Mound had sirens going off. Mainly straight line winds with nickel to quarter size hail. It is calming down, but still raining at a good clip.

Looks like all those people at Globe life had their evening ruined for the country music concert.

DFW GAF. Get your cars inside if possible. Storm front has potential for hail.

Edit: Hail already confirmed west of Ft. Worth.

Meh lol.

I just got out of the ACM Party thing at the Globe and all it was gusts, epic lightning and torrential rain over there.

And yeah they also had the sirens off even though there wasn't any tornadoes whatsoever. From what I've been reading, Arlington just used them to signal for strong winds and the rain.

The cynic in me believes that they did that just to show off to the crowd at ACM lol.

Does damaging hail happen often?

Nah, but it does happen at least once a year where a freak storm just shoots out baseball sized hail and bigger.

I hear that Austin is the cool happening city in Texas? What is in Dallas?

Austin is great if you're college-aged or an older person trying to hold on that last bastion of youth they've got.

Dallas is great if you prefer a more mature clientele who really gives no fncks about anybody else. Of course, we do have the most $30k millionaires in the city but they're very avoidable as long as you stay out of that cesspit of an area called SMU/University Park.

Thanks. Im looking at apartments next week so I thought maybe getting covered parking would be worth looking into.

If you end up doing that I suggest making sure the covered parking is actually built well... with an actual solid structure and well supported roof. We've had a couple of storms before where the wind gusts knock the "structures" over as if it was built by a 5th grader using balsa wood and hot glue and end totaling a car.

akileese

If you end up doing that I suggest making sure the covered parking is actually built well... with an actual solid structure and well supported roof. We've had a couple of storms before where the wind gusts knock the "structures" over as if it was built by a 5th grader using balsa wood and hot glue and end totaling a car.

The last place my girlfriend and I lived the roof collapsed during the snowstorm this last winter. Her car managed to avoid all damage but the one to the left was essentially totaled by that thing. This is very sound advice. Not all car ports are created equally. In fact, most are quite shit.

Honestly, if you can find a place that has them and can afford it, just get a garage. That's my advice.

Thanks. It took me awhile to figure out the various plans had breakdowns based on renewable energy. Do energy prices change a lot? Why would I want locked in on a 3 month plan?

akileese

Have there been any tornadoes reported? Bad weather is the one time I wish I had TV so I could get local reports.

There were reports of a funnel cloud possibly touching down in Waxahachie. My GF and I were sitting here watching the sky in Carrollton for a solid 30 minutes and you could see a funnel cloud forming and then disperse as quickly as it formed. I went outside and noticed the sky looked...not green, but incredibly pale. Minutes later the clouds started converging on this one part of the sky over the golf course (but still really far away).

Have there been any tornadoes reported? Bad weather is the one time I wish I had TV so I could get local reports.

Just that one akileese is talking about.

AFAIK, just some crazy straightline(90mph) winds around TCU's campus that led to a tornado warning going off in eastern Tarrant county. I actually heard them here around Arlington and GP but there wasn't even anything around me, no trees on the ground and no hail either.

I'd say we dodged another bullet, with the first one being from Wednesday.

akileese

Does anyone know of any good arcades in DFW that aren't Round 1 in Arlington? We love going there but looking for something a lot closer to Carrollton and something that'll carry the same sort of Japanese arcade machines.

Does anyone know of any good arcades in DFW that aren't Round 1 in Arlington? We love going there but looking for something a lot closer to Carrollton and something that'll carry the same sort of Japanese arcade machines.

Growing up Nicklerama was pretty good (if it still exists). It's in garland though.

Wreav

Banned
Wow, that's basically my backyard. I was in the area not an hour ago.

The 2 dead guys are the perps, so that's good news, and the ISD officer they shot is OK for now.

The two men pulled up in a vehicle and shot a Garland ISD officer. The men were fatally shot by Garland police, and their bodies remain on the street outside the events center.

edit: That WFAA article is missing a lot of details, here's a few better ones...they apparently had AK-47s, and sounds like SWAT is waiting on a bomb squad to check their bodies for IEDs.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/loca...-event-at-garland-isd-facility-police-say.ece

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015...n-contest-in-texas-possible-explosives-found/

never expected some terrorism in this neighborhood, but the world's gone to shit anyways, so why am I surprised?

Wreav

Banned
Just for some backstory, today's exhibition was an inflammatory response by the same idiots that were harassing the muslims at this year's earlier event.

Obviously not trying to justify anything, but easy to understand why, at least, and know it wasn't random.

http://www.erietvnews.com/story/28932185/islam-debate-returns-to-garland-with-muhammad-art-event

Garland, TX -- The Curtis Culwell Center in Garland will be the center of controversy again on Sunday. A group called the American Freedom Defense Initiative prepares to host a "Muhammad Art Exhibit and Contest."

It's the second time this year the CCC has been the center of an Islam-related conflict.

Back in January, protesters gathered there to voice their disapproval for a Muslim-run event called "Stand with the Prophet Against Terror and Hate." This time, those protesters will be holding their own event.

This one's especially controversial because it will be centered around depictions of the Islamic Prophet Muhammad - depictions that are considered offensive to Muslims.

The Lamp

Multiple times. Go, it's lovely. If you can, try to find one of the showings that features the pipe organ, as it was designed in concert with the architecture of the building to produce phenomenal sound. It'll make the hairs stand up on your arms.

The entire building is beautiful. It was designed by world-class architect I.M. Pei (the guy who designed the glass pyramid part of the Louvre), in consultation with acoustician Russel Johnson, designed to produce nearly perfect acoustics in any seat. The acoustician wanted to be buried within the structure upon his death.

On April 25th they've got the organist from Concertgebouw in Amsterdam playing on the Fisk Opus 100, which should be amazing. Later, on June 6th, Grammy winning organist Paul Jacobs will be there,

We like to sit in the boxes on the wings, but there are no bad seats for sound.

Yeah, I went for the Zelda Symphony and was overwhelmed. The acoustics were amazing.

Top Bottom