• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Pagusas

Elden Member
We are moving to Plano/Far North Dallas area. Coming next weekend to meet with our Realtor. Any thoughts on neighborhoods?

I live next to the Trails in Frisco and couldn't imagine a better neighborhood. Your budget is going to the key thing deciding what neighborhood you can go to.

Renting or Buying?

My experiance: for a 1 bedroom apt expect to pay $1200+ for a nice area

For housing, depending on the size, $300k - $350k is a nice sweet spot range for compromise of newer/good quality. Lots of good Highland Homes in that range in that area.

Lol in terms of chain taco shops I prefer Fuzzy's. Like I get why people consider Velvet and Torchy's good, but I feel like they're trying too hard to be a young and hip taco place with all the names and crazy ingredients.

I mean Fuzzy's is still a fusion taco place and all, but they've got the basics down... and those shredded beef tacos are just fncking delicious haha.

Though to be fair, the best tacos I've had, that you can buy at least, in the entire DFW area is from those mom and pop shops run by Mexican families that basically make legit Mexican food. There's one in Denton(close to UNT, on a hill I think) that I've been to a couple of times and it's basically where every drunk hangs out after last call. And Tacos Azteca in Grand Prairie.

Zoe

(this is the Dallas thread, not the Austin thread) (this is the Dallas thread, not the Austin thread) (this is the Dallas thread, not the Austin thread) (this is the Dallas thread, not the Austin thread) (this is the Dallas thread, not the Austin thread) (this is the Dallas thread, not the Austin thread) (this is the Dallas thread, not the Austin thread) (this is the Dallas thread, not the Austin thread) (this is the Dallas thread, not the Austin thread) (this is the Dallas thread, not the Austin thread)

*big breath*

You are all free to your opinion.

Wreav

Banned
We're all assuming, and rightly so, that the true undisputed taco experience is Fuel City, and this discussion is about the best #2 option.

Lol in terms of chain taco shops I prefer Fuzzy's. Like I get why people consider Velvet and Torchy's good, but I feel like they're trying too hard to be a young and hip taco place with all the names and crazy ingredients.

I mean Fuzzy's is still a fusion taco place and all, but they've got the basics down... and those shredded beef tacos are just fncking delicious haha.

Though to be fair, the best tacos I've had, that you can buy at least, in the entire DFW area is from those mom and pop shops run by Mexican families that basically make legit Mexican food. There's one in Denton(close to UNT, on a hill I think) that I've been to a couple of times and it's basically where every drunk hangs out after last call. And Tacos Azteca in Grand Prairie.

The shredded chicken tacos there are damn good. Best tacos are for sure the mom and pop type places though. Tons of them on Harry Hines or in pretty much every city in DFW. Fuel City is overrated. I don't need to drive that far for a good taco since there are a few really good taco places in Richardson and even a couple in East Plano.

So glad I was able to fuel the great GAF DFW taco debate. :) I also need recommendations on good Korean food.

If you're just looking for KBBQ, then you won't go wrong with Omi's by the H-Mart on Carrolton, Jin's in Plano by the H-Mart over there is also a good alternative. But just prepare to be early or wait in line as they get packed easily.

There's also a couple of places in downtown Dallas but I can't remember their names so I'll get back on that later.

The shredded chicken tacos there are damn good. Best tacos are for sure the mom and pop type places though. Tons of them on Harry Hines or in pretty much every city in DFW. Fuel City is overrated. I don't need to drive that far for a good taco since there are a few really good taco places in Richardson and even a couple in East Plano.

Yeah, Tacos Azteca is like 5 mins away from my house and is pretty much my go to when I'm too lazy to drive to Fuzzy's.

I really need to sit down and try to enjoy some Fuel City. I've had them once and they were alright. But then again I was drunk as fnck so I'm obviously not a good judge at that point lol.

Hope Zoe didn't get banned for her Austin comment. Dallas can hold its own against Austin food and there's nothing wrong with a little city rivalry!

cHaotix8

Fuel City was a lot better back around 2011. I went there a couple weeks ago and they just weren't as good as they used to be.

Chitos in Plano off of 75 and Legacy used to be damn good before they moved locations to Spring Creek and 75. They're still good but they used to be a lot better.

Why are all my taco places getting worse. T_T

Fuel City was a lot better back around 2011. I went there a couple weeks ago and they just weren't as good as they used to be.

Chitos in Plano off of 75 and Legacy used to be damn good before they moved locations to Spring Creek and 75. They're still good but they used to be a lot better.

Why are all my taco places getting worse. T_T

If you are in Plano try Jamal's by Parker and Ave K. The gas station next door also has really good tacos. I used to hit up Chitos all the time. Had no idea they moved.

We are moving to Plano/Far North Dallas area. Coming next weekend to meet with our Realtor. Any thoughts on neighborhoods?

I live in Plano. Not sure if you care about this but of course if you live in Plano you'll be in a better school district. Near where I live, downtown Plano is going through somewhat of a gentrification where there are nicer restaaunts and bars and turning into somewhat of a cool scene. This is a big change from what it was like even 10 years back

Anywhere in Plano is nice, but the further north or west you go the more expensive property will be

Team Fuzzy's. Glad they are all over DFW now instead of going to Ft. Worth TCU area.

I think Plano is too expensive for what you get and traffic is crazy around there. Lived in Addison off Trinity Mills near Plano and I hated it. The Tollway is pure hell. Carrollton, Copell, Grapevine, Southlake and hell there are nice places in south Arlington are all a lot cheaper.

Team Fuzzy's. Glad they are all over DFW now instead of going to Ft. Worth TCU area.

I think Plano is too expensive for what you get and traffic is crazy around there. Lived in Addison off Trinity Mills near Plano and I hated it. The Tollway is pure hell. Carrollton, Copell, Grapevine, Southlake and hell there are nice places in south Arlington are all a lot cheaper.

Apartment prices in Plano have gotten ridiculous with the new companies coming into town. You would have to be crazy to rent there now.

Yo guys what about Del Taco?
sick.gif

Are any Taco Delite's still around? I remember them being a really good, cheap fast food taco place. Loved their salsa in the little individual cups.

acksman

Yo guys what about Del Taco?
sick.gif

Are any Taco Delite's still around? I remember them being a really good, cheap fast food taco place. Loved their salsa in the little individual cups.

Ugh Del Taco, never heard of Taco Delite.

Another lower end moving and building up quickly is Taco Casa. I think they are out of South Oklahoma.

Schlep

Another lower end moving and building up quickly is Taco Casa. I think they are out of South Oklahoma.
Taco Casa is out of Fort Worth. Saw Taco Delite a year or two in Plano, but I've never been in one. There's a Taco Villa at N Beach and N Tarrant. Worst food I've had in my life that hasn't given me food poisoning.

Anyone know what's up with the police helicopter around White Rock Lake? I'm taking the dog for a walk right now and I feel like I should probably not be outside.

E: Looks like they gave up. Did someone just evade three stars?

Yeah, I still remember when the only Freebirds in town was over by TCU almost 10 years ago. Shii, I was still in high school then lol. Me and my friends would always drop a suggestion to build a Freebirds in Arlington... especially somewhere around UTA since college and all. A few years later, there's a Freebirds in Arlington Highlands and I'd like to think me and my friends contributed to that decision haha.

I do hate how Fuzzy's set up their locations though. The closest one to me is the one by UTA, but it's hard to get there due to traffic and construction going on so I end up going to the one on the border of Arlington and Kennedale instead and it's technically farther, but since it's accessible by I-20, it's actually quicker to get there lol.

Del Taco seems like it disappeared off the map, I haven't seen it or even get mentioned in recent times. I've also never heard of Taco Delite.

Taco Casa on the other hand is definitely expanding and the food is pretty good. Plus every Taco Tuesday, they sell their huge ass tacos for a dollar plus change. It used to be .69 cents actually, but I think they've bumped up their prices.

Speaking of tacos... now I want some, but payday ain't until Friday. Booooo.

Just got back from Dallas last weekend. It's basically super Houston.

What? I am sorry did you not notice Dallas being 100 times less shitty?

Also Freebirds is better than Fuzzys but Freebirds is a burrito place. We need more Freebird locations.

KodaRuss

Torchys is expensive but I think it is way better than Fuzzys. Torchys queso is really great.

If anyone is looking for good Thai food, my wife and I love Coconut Thai Grill off belt line in Addison. It is almost in Carrollton though so on the west side of belt line from most of the restaurants in Addison. Yes, we tried Thai Star and we like Coconuts better.

Unfortunately, we just moved to Colleyville from Carrollton and our restaurant choices took a big step down

What? I am sorry did you not notice Dallas being 100 times less shitty?

Also Freebirds is better than Fuzzys but Freebirds is a burrito place. We need more Freebird locations.

I really don't get how Freebirds is a viable option when we live in a world where Chipotle exists. I can't think of anything Freebirds does better than them.

I really don't get how Freebirds is a viable option when we live in a world where Chipotle exists. I can't think of anything Freebirds does better than them.

This is how I think of it: Chipotle is the place where you can take a date to and you won't go wrong, whereas Freebirds on the other hand is the place you and your bros pre-game at.

Also for the Houston/Dallas thing... the Ben and Skin show was talking about it before and one of them said that Houston is the city that seems to always want some kind of validation from Austin, San Antonio and us of course. Whereas none of those 3 cities look for validation from Houston.

Now of course, this could just be actually talking about sports since that was sports radio after all plus, the statement rings true for Rockets and Astros fans. But I also think it does apply to the city in general. A lot of my Houston friends shit on DFW a lot yet they live here in DFW, and none of us DFW-ites really think about Houston unless we're already there stuck in traffic and the humidity.

This is how I think of it: Chipotle is the place where you can take a date to and you won't go wrong, whereas Freebirds on the other hand is the place you and your bros pre-game at.

Also for the Houston/Dallas thing... the Ben and Skin show was talking about it before and one of them said that Houston is the city that seems to always want some kind of validation from Austin, San Antonio and us of course. Whereas none of those 3 cities look for validation from Houston.

Now of course, this could just be actually talking about sports since that was sports radio after all plus, the statement rings true for Rockets and Astros fans. But I also think it does apply to the city in general. A lot of my Houston friends shit on DFW a lot yet they live here in DFW, and none of us DFW-ites really think about Houston unless we're already there stuck in traffic and the humidity.
I just don't know what kind of identity Houston has. When I think of Houston I think of 1.7 million people that can't tell me what makes their city stand out. We all have sports teams too lol.
Freebirds offers crazy sauces, cayenne pepper tortilla, and queso. I enjoy both though.

Freebirds has queso.

But their burritos suck. The sauce and extra stuff makes no difference if the underlying food isn't good.

Schlep

I think it's telling that all of Texas outside of Houston, and most of Oklahoma are Cowboys and Rangers fans. DFW is the big city, and Houston is just...Houston.

Wreav

Banned
Houston hasn't had any team worth rooting for for years now, until now. Texas was all up the Rockets' ass during Clyde and Hakeem's time.

Zebra

In case anyone is curious about all of the developments going on around Victory Park, user dch256 at SkyscraperPage forums posted a nice summary:

Lot H (Orange): Katy Station 310', 28 story apartment building (probably 250-350 units)
Lot G (Orange): SkyHouse #2 24-25 story apartment building (336-352 units)
Lot R (Orange): Ascent 23 story & 21 story apartments buildings (300+ units)
Lot A13 (Orange): TBD
Lot E (Orange): On Brochure it shows 80k Office and 350 Apartments
Lot F (Orange): TBD (currently Handicapped parking for the AAC)
Lot M (Yellow..White): 23 story office building
Lot G (Yellow...White): 20 story Movie Theater/Retail and 256 apartments
Lot K (Yellow): Parking Garage
Lot D (Yellow): Retail and 3 stories of offices along Victory Park Lane

Currently Under Construction:
Camden: 425 units
Goat Hill: 365 units

Existing Units in Victory Park: 2,443

Estimated amount of units once all proposed projects are complete: 4,800

- Source

It looks like Victory Park is getting a second chance at life. These projects should help bring it into the vision that they originally had planned for the area from the beginning.
It's also nice to know that we're getting a movie theater there. And we're getting an Alamo Drafthouse in Cedars. Downtown has needed movie theaters.

I am just glad they are getting rid of the fields of parking spots that surrounded the AA center. They were so hideous.

The North End apartments will continue to hurt the walkability of the area though.

In case anyone is curious about all of the developments going on around Victory Park, user dch256 at SkyscraperPage forums posted a nice summary:

- Source

It looks like Victory Park is getting a second chance at life. These projects should help bring it into the vision that they originally had planned for the area from the beginning.
It's also nice to know that we're getting a movie theater there. And we're getting an Alamo Drafthouse in Cedars. Downtown has needed movie theaters.

I am just glad they are getting rid of the fields of parking spots that surrounded the AA center. They were so hideous.

The North End apartments will continue to hurt the walkability of the area though.

I currently live at Skyhouse Dallas in Victory Park.

I don't think North End is an eyesore.. Honestly it looks okay from street level and they do a pretty decent job at keeping it spruced up.

I'm a bit saddened by the removal of some parking locations at the AAC (Well not anymore since I can walk) but it was a real pain when Camden and Perot started taking up some space.

I'm looking forward to the changes at Victory Park though. It's already starting to get some retail chains like Jimmy John's which just opened. Under Skyhouse Dallas there area few retail spots open as well. I'm hearing Top Pot Doughnuts was looking at a location there.

Top Bottom