• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

damn, shin megami is hard!

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
one battle, you're totally clipping along, smacking down on evil demons and the next they're slashing away at your weaknesses, getting 8 turns in before you're even able to counter, and suddenly your entire party is dead one battle before they were all going ot level up and one of the demons was going to transform.

SHITZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

i'm tempted to pick up the guide now because looking up the abilities on gamefaqs sucks

MoxManiac

Yup, my suggestion is to recruit and fuse as many demons as you can, and build the protagnist's level up. You want a decent variety of demons in your party to switch in and out of with different skills/strengths/weaknesses, esp versus bosses.

The guide is awesome, pick it up before it dissapears.

BuddyC

the guide is seriously worth it, just for all the info about the demons. i haven't even touched the walkthrough.

Patrick Klepek

i'll pick it up later today; i have some games to turn into eb anyway.

i need to start recruiting more demons, though. i still have two slots open, and haven't filled them lately...just been leveling up.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
been awhile since i've gotten so many game overs

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
eXxy said:
you, sir, are a liar (or very lucky)

Not a liar, but neither have I gotten very far yet. (No strat guide either!) It started off quite easy, but it's been getting steadily harder, so I suspect that I'm in for some rough times soon!

Patrick Klepek

i just picked up the strategy guide after about dumping 8 hours into the game. the data section is fantastic...it's a good reference. i have no idea why i'd use the walkthrough. it'd be nice if i could have picked up a $10 smaller data guide.

Is there like a beastairy in the game?

I just beat the first boss

The big manta ray thing in the hospital

so far my captured demons are

Pixie
Shikigami
Hua Po
Will o' Wisp
Kodama

Ive got that feeling im missing something...fusion you said?

im guessing the magatami is basically like "espers" from final fantasy (let you learn certain spells but can only have 1 at once equipped?

ZombieSupaStar said:
Ive got that feeling im missing something...fusion you said?

You can "fuse" 2 monsters/demons into one, more powerful monster. But you can't do that until you get to the next area :) (and you probably won't want to do it right away, anyway, since you don't have many demons to fuse yet)

ZombieSupaStar said:
Is there like a beastairy in the game?

I'm wondering about this. I'm a few dungeons in and haven't found anything like that, but from what other people have been saying I'm almost positive it exists. Do I just have to play further, or am I missing something?

musashi

It is a Bestiary in the game called Demonic Compendium but it appears not from the start. In the Fuse-Room (just forgot how it is called) the minister introduces you to that automatically.
I don't find the game too hard playing now 15 hours. Some Bossfights are difficult but with the right characters and techniques its not really hard.
I picked up the strategy guide, too. I admit it is good, but it cannot mess with european Piggyback-Guides (www.authorisedcollection.com), they're just the best :D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
musashi said:
It is a Bestiary in the game called Demonic Compendium but it appears not from the start. In the Fuse-Room (just forgot how it is called) the minister introduces you to that automatically.
I don't find the game too hard playing now 15 hours. Some Bossfights are difficult but with the right characters and techniques its not really hard.
I picked up the strategy guide, too. I admit it is good, but it cannot mess with european Piggyback-Guides (www.authorisedcollection.com), they're just the best :D

The Jak 3 and Halo 2 guides are by Piggy Back

Shouta

The game is dramatically tougher on Hard (which is what I started on). You really have to be careful in what you do or you'll be eating dust left and right. I think I Game Over'd like 30 times this weekend (due to carelessness).

I'm like 8-9 hours in
Just about to go battle Dante for the first time, got beat by him last night so gotta level a bit to beat him.
. So far, the two most useful Demons for me have been Uzume and Inugami (who evolves to Makami around level 18 or 19) Both get Media and Uzume is fast while Inugami/Makami is a fairly strong monster. Momonufu and Raiju are also two really good monsters for boss battles when you reach levels 20-25 for your protragonist.

Mejilan

Anyone know how I can recruit monsters who can't seem to understand me? Like the Will O' Wisps and whatnot...?

ferricide

Mejilan said:
Anyone know how I can recruit monsters who can't seem to understand me? Like the Will O' Wisps and whatnot...?
somtimes they'll contact you during a full moon. it's rare and super luck-oriented, though. you can always also fuse one of your own from other crap.

Mejilan

Thanks. It's like a third to half of most of the baddies I find can't communicate with me.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
They'll sometimes offer to join you if your party's convincingly beating the crap out of them, too.

Shouta

Contact them several times during the full moon. They should understand you then. You'll also occasionally talk to you if you're beating the crap out of them like they said. Recruiting during a Full Moon is generally less cash intensive since you just have to answer a question they ask.

Mejilan

I'll give it a shot when I hook up my PS2 again! Thanks! I really freakin' need a component switcher, particularly this month! -_-

Shouta

Btw, it's really important that you have as many of the Magatama as you can get. The null/void/drain abilities you get from various ones are insanely helpful for when you're leveling in areas where particular enemy sets use abilities that are dangerous to you. This is especially true when you want to level at a decent clip.

Mejilan

Yep, I'm currently stuck in that network pathway place, the one that Hijiro is helping me navigate, and I have 4 Magatama, I think. I learned quickly to exploit the void/null/weak dealies in battle. The first boss, that manta ray, got RAWKED LIKE A HAWK (sorry) because I had two guys with Zio, which struck him critically each time. Awesome.

Shouta

It's even more important as you go on that you have all the magatama to battle the bosses and level up though. The current area I'm leveling in as I type this has demons that use Hamaon (upper level Singular Expel type magic) and that pretty much cleans house on my creatures at this point. I forgot to buy the one that nulls it so I'm just hoping they tag my Makami and Uzume who both void Expel magic.

Mejilan

I wouldn't dream of leaving Magatama behind! I'm not that brave, and besides, I have a tendency to do and get everything possible, ASAP, in my RPGs.

Shouta

You'll need a fat wad of cash for the next set of them then. like 35k in Macca to buy them. If you still have that pixie that joined you at the beginning of the game (and she's evolved to the High Pixie) she'll learn the Lucky Find ability. Keep that ability on her and fight around the next area's world map, Ginza. She should be able to find Bead Chains which sell for 5k a pop.

Mejilan

Shouta said:
You'll need a fat wad of cash for the next set of them then. like 35k in Macca to buy them. If you still have that pixie that joined you at the beginning of the game (and she's evolved to the High Pixie) she'll learn the Lucky Find ability. Keep that ability on her and fight around the next area's world map, Ginza. She should be able to find Bead Chains which sell for 5k a pop.

Money hasn't been too much of an object yet. I had 5k Macca when I got to the first set of shops, so I was easily able to afford both Matagamas for sale there (1k and 2k respectively), and I'm only in the very next area, and already have 8k Macca total. My High Pixie is now my strongest fighter, surprisingly! (My main character was, until I switched him to one of the magical Matagama away from the physical one. He's a close 2nd.)

High Pixie rocks!

Buggy Loop

Matador beat my ass 4 times in a row ;_; (even with the a force magatama)

I'll go back to level my character (he's 18 right now) to at least 20 so i can get some higher level fusion to work.

Shouta

It'll be like 18k. One was 12k, 6k, and I think like 14 or 16k for the last one (on hard).

I would HIGHLY recommend trying to get a Uzume and Momonufu for that battle with Matador. Media is essential and Momonufu can pop 300-400 damage a hit with Focus + Lunge if you hit him.

Mejilan

Excellent! I can get one already!

To go slightly off topic for a bit. What makes the up and coming SMT Digital Devil Saga different? I haven't really read up on it, particularly since its been pushed back a bit.

Shouta

Of the upcoming set, Force should be the first one you get Meji. It gives access to Focus (the second or so ability in that list) and that is tremendously powerful if you still have Lunge from the standard Magatama.

Shouta

I hope you kept the Life Bonus from one of the Magatama because Lunge is prime damage material when combined with Focus at the point in the game where I am now. HP is so important to the protagonist because as soon as you hit zero HP, it's game over so I've been pumping him up with VIT to up his life points. Of course, all HP activated abilities go up in HP cost as well but it's a price to pay for the damage.

Mejilan

Yeah, he has Live and Magic Bonus already. Lunge, Ice Breath as well. Working on Fire Breath now, I think.

Mejilan

Ahh, thanks for the link! That was perfect! For some reason, I had it in my mind that DDS was going to be more ARPG orientated. Oops. ;p

Top Bottom