• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dance Central 2 |OT| Electric Boogaloo

Sai-kun

Banned
okay so i FINALLY picked this game up for black friday (sorry hmx, i'm a college student :()

fuc
king
a
ma
zing

Holy wow. I love pretty much every song on this, and the dances are so cool. Somebody to Love kicked my ass so hard on my first try. jsl;fjal;skfja i'm in love with this. I just need friends that will play it :(

I bought the Gaga DLC. Amazing picks, great routines. Shoulda picked Scheisse though!

Bravo, Harmonix.

I've been playing it for exercise and found myself continuing even after my initial hour was up. It took my missus dragging me away for food to make me stop. :D

Ken

Should I just skip Dance Central and go for 2? I have a sealed copy of Dance Central that I got with my Kinect but never got around to playing it.

I want to try playing this with some friends over the winter but I have no idea if DC2 makes any huge improvements over DC1 that would make it a lot more fun.

Edgeward

Should I just skip Dance Central and go for 2? I have a sealed copy of Dance Central that I got with my Kinect but never got around to playing it.

I want to try playing this with some friends over the winter but I have no idea if DC2 makes any huge improvements over DC1 that would make it a lot more fun.

It now allows two people to play at the same time in the sequel, this was not possible in the first game. If it's game you want to play with friends, then 2 is the better choice.

DC2 is a huge improvement: 2 Player mode; better break it down guide, voice control menu.

For those that have used it, how is 2 player mode? I haven't tried it yet as I can only imagine it ending it pain, smashed room, and tears.

I just can't see how we could both be doing the step left / right stuff without someone getting smacked or going out of frame.

starsky

For those that have used it, how is 2 player mode? I haven't tried it yet as I can only imagine it ending it pain, smashed room, and tears.

I just can't see how we could both be doing the step left / right stuff without someone getting smacked or going out of frame.

It works like it should, though I prefer playing solo since I don't have to mind my distance.

It says on the back of the DC2 manual.

Unrelated, I wish they'd put the work in to remove (optionally) the freestyle sections from the DC1 songs. Such a waste of time. :(

xion4360

I wish they'd put the work in to remove (optionally) the freestyle sections from the DC1 songs. Such a waste of time. :(

well they would have to alter the routine to repeat some moves or something... that would probably be too much to ask for tho....

Where do I use the code on the back of DC1's manual?

In the options menu within DC2 is where you redeem the DC1 import code.

Already know I'll be getting this for Xmas, can't wait to play it. I also have rearranged my living space, so ideally it'll track me better than the first one - had major problems. When you import the tracklist from the first game, can you get first game achievements when playing those songs, or is it just there to make the tracks accessible?

Just the latter.

Ah, thanks. Kind of figured as much, but it would have been nice. Surprised to see this thread is so small, considering the Dance Central games are still the best thing on Kinetic as far as I can tell - although Your Shape 2012 is a vast improvement over last years, and actually has toning stuff which is nice.

I am glad to hear from the impressions that the dance routines are much better this time. I really enjoyed the first game, even despite all the problems I had with Kinetic, but did find a lot of the sequences very lack luster in terms of dance movements. I have tomorrow off so I'll think I'll spend some more time with the first game while I wait to get this one and test my new Kinect set up a bit more.

xion4360

Ah, thanks. Kind of figured as much, but it would have been nice. Surprised to see this thread is so small, considering the Dance Central games are still the best thing on Kinetic as far as I can tell - although Your Shape 2012 is a vast improvement over last years, and actually has toning stuff which is nice.

I am glad to hear from the impressions that the dance routines are much better this time. I really enjoyed the first game, even despite all the problems I had with Kinetic, but did find a lot of the sequences very lack luster in terms of dance movements. I have tomorrow off so I'll think I'll spend some more time with the first game while I wait to get this one and test my new Kinect set up a bit more.

The cheevos are mostly related to the Crew Challenge mode, so the imported and DLC tracks wont apply to that. 5 Stars on hard for all songs also only applies to DC2 tracks. Others like 1000 photos, 3 people in a freestyle and workout related cheevos apply to any track. BTW, you should leave freestyle ON until you get the 1000 photos taken cheevo, as freestyle is when a large chunk of photos are taken.

Many of the routines in DC2 make even the best of DC1 look like childsplay. I personally dont find it too difficult tho. If you play and do well in DC1 youll have to put a little more swing in your step but youll still be playing the same game.

BTW you seem to confuse Kinect with Kinetic quite often.. lol

Make sure that your Kinect is tuned before you start the game. Run the Kinect calibrations, and make sure you are far enough away from the sensor that you see your full body within the window in the game. Also, its important that the sensor is facing you directly and not at an angle, as that can also contribute to you doing a move correctly, but Kinect seeing you do it from an incorrect angle.

BTW you seem to confuse Kinect with Kinetic quite often.. lol

Haha, every time! I work with educational videos and we recently did a section on kinetic energy. Hope I haven't been doing that since then.

Yeah, in my new set up, I have the Kinect at a much better angle. I use to have it a bit higher to try to get some obstacles out of its field of view, but the new arrangement is much improved. I still have some trouble with lighting. Unfortunately I don't have too many options there, but it's still much better than what I had previously.

Difficulty I'm not overly concerned with, more so I was hoping for a wider range of movement and better movesets, and from what you and others have posted in this thread, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Sydle

Took Xbox/Kinect and this game to a party this past weekend and it was a hit. The 2-player mode worked surprisingly well. I know of at least 2 more Xbox+Kinect+DC2 sales happening this month.

xion4360

Lighting shouldnt be much of an issue. I sometimes play in complete darkness. I would just say dont have a light pointing at the sensor, or directly behind you.. because that might be confusing to it. And yes there is a great variety of movements in this tracklist. There are maybe just a couple of routines that are very reminiscent of one in DC1, but then there are others that are unlike anything in DC1. I will say that if you have a thing against effeminate choreo....you might have a problem. If you dont mind pretending to be a total queen youll have a blast.

Sai-kun

Banned
I finally beat the Crew Challenge mode. Oh my god, that was awesome. I fuckin' destroyed Born This Way. That's my jam.

My best songs so far are Meddle and Bulletproof :)

Ken

Where can I find the DC1 import songs on the marketplace? I tried using my import code but it said it was invalid, so I'm just going to buy them but I can't find them.

Seems there's some sort of sale on DLC at the moment... or at least they've put some packs together or something (gold exclusive I think).

I wish you could tell which DLC was created with Dance Central 2 in mind though. I really hate those forced freestyle sections.

Sai-kun

Banned
The only DC2 DLC so far is

Lady Gaga Pack
- The Edge of Glory
- Marry the Night

Rihanna Pack
- What's My Name?
- Only Girl (In the World)
- S&M

Edit: just getting back into this again after a long winter break. Damn it feels good to dance again! I never got around to finishing the last few crews even on Medium! I beat them, but didn't 5 star everything, so that's my goal for the next week or so, and then I move onto doing it all again, on Hard :D

I ended up purchasing the marathon pack anyway. 100 points a song seemed too good to pass up.

Maybe I'll run on the spot for the freestyle sections. :p

ruxtpin

Banned
What's the deal with DC2 not recognizing me doing a basic side-step and clap move. I'm in a lighted room. I'm standing back far enough. I've calibrated the Kinect.

Side-step. Clap. FAIL. What in frack am I doing WRONG?!

Anyone else have the game freeze when you get the Crew Challenge list of songs?
Late to reply, but I have the same issue. I've noticed that only happens on first startup, when I haven't let the game cache all my DLC songs. If you can't access the normal song menu, and try to access the crew challenge, then it will crash.

What's the deal with DC2 not recognizing me doing a basic side-step and clap move. I'm in a lighted room. I'm standing back far enough. I've calibrated the Kinect.

Side-step. Clap. FAIL. What in frack am I doing WRONG?!
Sounds odd. What happens in break it down?

Sai-kun

Banned
I wanna finish the crew sets, but some of these songs are just BLEGH. Venus? Really? I hate that song, lmfao.

Toxic though <3 ugh, so good. Satellite is quickly becoming one of my favorites as well.

Sai-kun

Banned
Venus is one of my favorite songs in the game, 80's music rules!

Ugh. I just can't do it, man. :lol I have just seen too many of those stupid leg razor commercials with that song to like it.

Little Boots 4 life.

I wish they'd add Tightrope by Janelle Monae, or Radioactive by Marina & the Diamonds. Needs more indie pop :p

Chairhome

Nice, new DLC tomorrow (don't know if there's more than just this 1, yet)

Ne-Yo - Closer

Love this song! A song I'll actually download.

I've had zero time to play these past few months, I've been at the Gliteratti on Hard since early December, haha. I'll try to finally beat it this week.

Anyway to get this game for cheap? There were sales before Xmas but I didn't have a kinect then. I've had my eye on prices for a while and it's been floating at the $40 mark

Anyone know what's going on here...

If I'm on my profile and I look at leaderboards I can't see my missus's scores. However, if we load up her profile and do the same, mine show up fine.

She's got a gold account (via a family pack) so I really can't understand why it would be doing that. It's annoying because we can't really compete against each other because of that... or at least, I can't compete against her.

Hard in this game is freaking odd.

Everything's going fine, and you're following the moves perfectly when suddenly you're faced with a triple pirouette front flip followed by a hand back reverse triple slam down with a side twist. :O

I have like 3 more songs to do to get everyone's street outfits on easy, I plan on making the jump to crew challenges on medium next. do you guys recommend actually using break it down mode to learn the songs before trying them, or is it more like a "just go for it!" and if you fail, try again kind of thing?

I have like 3 more songs to do to get everyone's street outfits on easy, I plan on making the jump to crew challenges on medium next. do you guys recommend actually using break it down mode to learn the songs before trying them, or is it more like a "just go for it!" and if you fail, try again kind of thing?

The latter is how I do it, at least on Easy.

Top Bottom