• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Don't go into the Zero Escape series expecting Danganronpa. It's nearly a straight visual novel with elements of point and click adventure and puzzle. It's also FAR more grounded and subdued despite some outlandish character designs and plot developments. Yeah, they're both worth playing, but don't expect the breakneck pacing or over-the-top interactions as Danganronpa.

Beyond some shared story elements, similarities in the premise (which is really just a Japanese trope at this point), and having the same primary genre, the two series really aren't super comparable.

I just accidentally clicked on the spoiler thread and scrolled down a bit before realising.

FUUU~ I hope the character I saw at the top of the page in the OP wasn't a big spoiler.

I just accidentally clicked on the spoiler thread and scrolled down a bit before realising.

FUUU~ I hope the character I saw at the top of the page in the OP wasn't a big spoiler.

That's just a mark thing to prevent people from going into the thread in case they clicked on it accidentally. It's like the original's spoiler thread that opened up with a picture of bikini Monokuma.

DaBoss

I must ask myself why I keep coming to this thread even though I don't have the game. I guess I have a problem with clicking threads I'm subbed to.

While I'm here, I want to ask a question. Does the spoiler thread allow you to talk about Danganronpa IF without spoiler-tagging anything?

Hugstable

Banned
Don't go into the Zero Escape series expecting Danganronpa. It's nearly a straight visual novel with elements of point and click adventure and puzzle. It's also FAR more grounded and subdued despite some outlandish character designs and plot developments. Yeah, they're both worth playing, but don't expect the breakneck pacing or over-the-top interactions as Danganronpa.

Beyond some shared story elements, similarities in the premise (which is really just a Japanese trope at this point), and having the same primary genre, the two series really aren't super comparable.

Yeah they are very different games in both how the story is told and how it's played, especially 999. I love both series in their own way though, with Danganronpa being a bit more lighthearted at times than the overall tense feeling that the Zero Escape series gives. Plus Zero Escape is more about "escape the room" point and click puzzle solving which is much different from the investigate and truth bullet cases of Danganronpa. I love both, but it's silly to compare the 2. I believe it mostly happens since most of our consoles or handhelds don't get as much Visual Novels translated, and these are probably the 2 most popular right now.

sjay1994

I personally enjoyed VLR more than Danganronpa 1.

Although people say 2 is superior to 1.

I want to play 2, but I don't think I will jump in day 1 like I did with D1.

I am drowning in stuff I need to finish.

I must ask myself why I keep coming to this thread even though I don't have the game. I guess I have a problem with clicking threads I'm subbed to.

While I'm here, I want to ask a question. Does the spoiler thread allow you to talk about Danganronpa IF without spoiler-tagging anything?

Have at it. Spread the wonders of non-canon IF!

Zephyx

Finished Chapter 1.

I was wrong with my speculation all along. Didn't even consider he was the killer. It's obvious when the clues were presented to me. The English dub was great by the way. That breakdown was amazing.

Regarding Chapter 2, quick question..
I saw a scene with Hiyoko and Mahiru showering due to an item I have. Any other item I should get for future chapters?

I saw a scene with Hiyoko and Mahiru showering due to an item I have. Any other item I should get for future chapters?
I got that too and have the same question, as there are a LOT of ???s to buy in the Image Gallery where that one is positioned (and I've finished the game).

Amazing that we both had the same luck in the vending machine so early.

MSMrRound

Got this on Monday.

Story chapters cleared.

Chapter 5
Wow...words just fail me. Case was superbly well done. He's definitely an asshole to the end. That execution....noooo ;_; best girl, you will live forever in our hearts!

End-game spoilers
slightly more grown up Kyoko~! Also wow, I never had that much luck selecting a waifu that will survive till the end. In the first Danganronpa my initial crush was on Sayaka and then Chihiro. Chihiro's twist was just rubbing salt into the wounds ;_;

I believe there's 3, one each for chapters 1-3? I don't know the names of the items, though.

edit:
Actually, there's 6. 2 in chapter 1, 1 in chapter 2, and 3 in chapter 3. I can give you the translated names of the items, if you'd like, and who you need to talk to with them.

Nachos

But I put [SPOILERS] at the front so this wouldn't happen again. Man, I didn't mean to plunge anyone into further despair.

Still, even if I'm kind if baffled you read the OP without realizing it was the spoilers thread, there's nothing in there indicating what happens in the story. It's just Gundham being Gundham.

EDIT: I just realized I wrote SDR2 instead of Dangan Ronpa 2 at the top, which might be confusing, since they dropped the "Super" in the title. That's changed now.

Zephyx

I believe there's 3, one each for chapters 1-3? I don't know the names of the items, though.

edit:
Actually, there's 6. 2 in chapter 1, 1 in chapter 2, and 3 in chapter 3. I can give you the translated names of the items, if you'd like, and who you need to talk to with them.

Yes please! Name of the items will suffice. I'll figure out the characters myself.

Amazing that we both had the same luck in the vending machine so early.

Maybe we are lucky like Nagito :D

Yes please!

Don't read until you've cleared Trial 2!

Note that these names are just translated from the Japanese and not the official localized names, so I'll include the item numbers too.

Give the Gold Painted Fake Sword (104) to Kazuichi in Chapter 1

Give an・anNn・an (105) to Mahiru in Chapter 1

Talk to Mahiru while you have Man’s Greatest Chestnut (106) in Chapter 2

Give the Toy Camera (61) to Hiyoko in Chapter 3

Give Summer Festavil (111) to Ibuki in Chapter 3

Give Radio-Combattler 4WD Tarou (113) to Kazuichi in Chapter 3

I somehow missed that this thread was created.

Let's see: avatar, check. LE preorder, check. Wednesday off, check. I'm all-in for a second helping of despair from my most-anticipated game of the year!

Lol, I think it was just the warning image.

That's just a mark thing to prevent people from going into the thread in case they clicked on it accidentally. It's like the original's spoiler thread that opened up with a picture of bikini Monokuma.

But I put [SPOILERS] at the front so this wouldn't happen again. Man, I didn't mean to plunge anyone into further despair.

Still, even if I'm kind if baffled you read the OP without realizing it was the spoilers thread, there's nothing in there indicating what happens in the story. It's just Gundham being Gundham.

EDIT: I just realized I wrote SDR2 instead of Dangan Ronpa 2 at the top, which might be confusing, since they dropped the "Super" in the title. That's changed now.

Phew! I don't even know how it happened. I had a ton of tabs opened then I started scrolling down, once I realised it was the spoiler thread I bailed.

I'm just glad nothing got spoilt. Thank God you put in a warning! That thread was so scary since I haven't started the game yet. It was traumatic! : (

Zephyx

Thanks! :)

Chapter 2 Investigation Time:

So.. I had a hint she was the one who will die. That game and Hiyoko sighting at the beach were already good enough clues. My main suspect is Hiyoko at the moment. Time to investigate!

Alpha_eX

Don't read until you've cleared Trial 2!

Note that these names are just translated from the Japanese and not the official localized names, so I'll include the item numbers too.

Give the Gold Painted Fake Sword (104) to Kazuichi in Chapter 1

Give an・anNn・an (105) to Mahiru in Chapter 1

Talk to Mahiru while you have Man’s Greatest Chestnut (106) in Chapter 2

Give the Toy Camera (61) to Hiyoko in Chapter 3

Give Summer Festavil (111) to Ibuki in Chapter 3

Give Radio-Combattler 4WD Tarou (113) to Kazuichi in Chapter 3

What is this list for?

chrizzz09

Do i have to play DanganRonpa 1 before 2 ??

I watched the anime and as far as i'm informed the anime covered the first game.

So its safe to start straight with 2 ?

I watched the anime and as far as i'm informed the anime covered the first game.

Well, you could, but the anime glosses over tons of stuff. I'd still suggest playing the first game beforehand, but you wouldn't be totally lost.

Vylash

no, you absolutely have to play the game, the anime is a rushed mess that glosses over too many things, not just in the overall story but in the individual cases

Zephyx

After playing through Chapter 2.. this despair...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! That execution tore my emotions to pieces :'(

What is this list for?

(non-plot spoiler, just tagging in case anyone wants to be totally blind)

If you recall, in the first game, there was a scene only available if you had a certain item at a certain time. In this game, there's 6, and that list shows how to get all of them.

Mendrox

Soooo many spoilers in this thread so that you have to be careful to not click them. Regardless I am hyped... still a week to go. :(

Zephyx

Maybe I should post this after I finished the game (still in Chapter 3) but I noticed something:
SPOILERS
Motives for the first 2 cases are same with DR1! If my memory serves me right, Case 1 was Personal Relationships, Case 2 was the past and if I'm right, Case 3 will be greed? Well, we'll see. :D

Hugstable

Banned

Anime sucks compared to the game, no character releationships, they gloss over everything. I mean it didn't seem possible in the first place to cover everything in this game in a 12 episode anime in the first place. You probably already know all the twists, but even then the first game is probably still enjoyable, if just for all the character interactions and fun stuff that happens inbetween the court trials. Plus dat trial music.

CrazyDude

I would play the first one, but if you can only afford the second one, then go for that.

Soooo many spoilers in this thread so that you have to be careful to not click them. Regardless I am hyped... still a week to go. :(
Not really a game you can talk about without spoiling some part of it.

katkombat

Banned
Very dumb question: will I need a memory card to play this? Mine is shot and I will need to pick one up before Tuesday if so.

MSMrRound

Hope to see Danganronpa 3 at TGS, they did teased it last year.

Nah. Not this TGS anyway. Attention will be pretty much on Another since it's launching in September. Another episode first most probably. They wouldn't want Another and 3 to self-cannibalize one another.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Lol at Chapter 1 (spoiler warning, read if you've completed chapter 1)

Teruteru's mom saying "Moms are strong"

Top Bottom