• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

My GameStop is pretty cool, but they are really cracking down on early releases. A couple employees broke the release on a major title and they both got fired, fined, and banned from Gamestop, possibly for life.

Back on the subject of DR, I still have not platinumed the first one. Damn Monokuma machine.

DR was actually my first platinum ever.

Still waiting for NISA to take my damn money out of my account for the LE.

pariah164

NISA's also processing my order as we speak, can't wait to have the LE in my hands!
uJ3NZrY.gif

I have to wait till Tuesday, since I preordered from GS and didn't get the LE, but I still feel that way because every person getting this game increases the chance of more DR in the west in the future.

36XrHSg.png

Not even a contest. I was initially drawn to her because of her design, but she turned out to have one of my favourite personalities from any game I've played. Largely regurgitating from the DR1 spoiler thread here:

- Morally bankrupt schemer who sees her former classmates as little more than expendable chips / pieces to be manipulated as she sees fit. I have an inherent fondness for the calculating sociopathic types, and she's one of the finest examples I've come across.
- Elusive history and personality, adding to her mystique as a character. Even having finished the game I'm still not entirely sure how much of what she said about her past was genuine.
- One of the few to successfully commit premeditated murder. The most villainous character outside of Junko and (arguably) Mukuro.
- Her performance during the chapter 3 trial was one of the game's highlights for me. Watching her facade crack, hurriedly repair itself and then gradually shatter into pieces was enthralling and partially compensated for the fact that I was effectively killing her.
- Favourite design / appearance from the game,
with or without her drills
. Gothic lolita is the pinnacle of fashion.

Celeste ..is there even a contest ?

Yes there is ...
Actually i'll just listen to my master words :
2014-04-25-172051.jpg

yes master !
Kigiri
is only the best girl because celeste died.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmm, so you buy skills this time around instead of earning them? That's good to hear. It sucked playing the main mode only to discover a particular skill was unobtainable later on, which meant you had to wait until School Mode to get it.

NISA billed me, it says so in my bank statement, but on the NISA Store site it still says 'Pending Fulfillment'. I guess I'll probably be getting the LE late again like last time. I don't think it helps that I'm in Canada and there's a long weekend coming up.

EDIT: As soon as I posted this I got an emails with one being $5 credit and the actual payment received email. Welp.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just got the e-mail stating they billed me & in the process of being shipped out, along with a $5 gift code for earning enough points for buying both LEs. Guess I can use it towards Danganronpa Another's LE.........assuming that happens......& comes to the US.

Labrys

Just got the e-mail stating they billed me & in the process of being shipped out, along with a $5 gift code for earning enough points for buying both LEs. Guess I can use it towards Danganronpa Another's LE.........assuming that happens......& comes to the US.

I read up on the points and they expire after a year, so I guess if Another comes over before this time next year you could.

I do like that NISA gives you gift certificates for spending money on them.

I had enough gift codes from them that I manged to knock down the Danganronpa 2 LE's price to the price of the standard edition, lol

bigkrev

I do like that NISA gives you gift certificates for spending money on them.

I had enough gift codes from them that I manged to knock down the Danganronpa 2 LE's price to the price of the standard edition, lol

This... Probably says something about you, doesn't it?

Vylash

Hmm, so you buy skills this time around instead of earning them? That's good to hear. It sucked playing the main mode only to discover a particular skill was unobtainable later on, which meant you had to wait until School Mode to get it.

you buy them /and/ unlock them, some are only available by completing report cards just like the last game

How long did it take you to beat the first?

Looks like 22 hours, but that's from my Vita save after already having played the PSP version, so I knew what to do.

I was also taking my time to appreciate everything in 2. Talking to people that didn't need to be talked to, examining stuff multiple times, etc. That probably jacked up the time a bit.

Prelude.

Does/Will the game have any kind of DLC? Because I might import it if prices remain as ridiculous as for the first one.

AniHawk

If you pick VLR alone, without context, it's an amazing game and like many VLR fans you would not understand why it bombed, but if you add context with the relatively popular Danganronpa(people like to compare VLR to it for some reason) released 2 years before VLR with similar contents, like also Ever17 and other games, in that case you would reconsider the real value of VLR and understand why it bombed in Japan, where people already heard the same story in Danganronpa(2010) and Ever17(2009 PSP port).

ever17 sold about 1/3 of vlr from the psp port. combined with ps2 and xbox 360 sales (i'm missing dreamcast and pc sales), it still didn't amount to what vlr did in japan.

i really wish ever17 was a lot more popular.

Hugstable

Banned
ever17 sold about 1/3 of vlr from the psp port. combined with ps2 and xbox 360 sales (i'm missing dreamcast and pc sales), it still didn't amount to what vlr did in japan.

i really wish ever17 was a lot more popular.

Has Ever17 ever been translated? I would love to play it. There are so many Visual Novels I wish I could play :(

Garraboa

QUESTION: Will NISA charge me if there's still an open case about my order, even though I sent 3 previous cases regarding the same thing as the open case and it's already solved?

Zephyx

Just starting Chapter 1 class trial section.

Speculation:
Byakuya is dead. It's either Akane or Peko, I think. I was thinking Nagito may have a hand on this due to some premeditated stuff but at this point, I'm clueless.

AniHawk

Woah 149$ :(. Has there been any word of such a game coming to steam? I love his writing in the Zero Escape series and would love to give this a try someday, but 149 is quite a bit of dough to shell out for it.

it's tough because i think the rights transferred to 5pb, and they seem to be kind of done promoting the series. the most recent releases for the infinity trilogy is available for pc download in japan under their brand name. unless they do something like remake the games for vita or even do a port of ever17 from the 360 version to vita, i think there's very little chance of us seeing it in an official capacity.

i think they would do well though, especially with the 999/vlr connection. it's just a matter of money and convincing 5pb/mages that it's worth a shot.

Zephyx

Changed my prediction mid-trial:

It's Kazuichi?? I have a clue what happened but I still dunno who did it.

Nachos

Real talk: Spike Chunsoft needs to pool its talent together for visual novels and create new projects mixing staff from both sides of the company. I mean, between them, their output, at bare minimum, has ties to things like Zero Escape, Dangan Ronpa, Syndrome, 428, Machi, Banshee's Last Cry/Night of the Sickle Weasel, and the Infinity series – visual novels often regarded as some of the best of the best. That's not even getting into Spike's ties to Human Entertainment, who almost entirely did weird, story-based stuff.

I don't want them to stop making Dangan Ronpa, especially since Kodaka's mostly hit his stride with the second game and will only improve going forward. Still, I just can't help but notice that they're sitting on a lot of talent.

God, I feel so empty after beating this. I want to see more of this series and world. I'm sure Another Episode will make it over, but it can't come soon enough.

I don't want them to stop making Dangan Ronpa, especially since Kodaka's mostly hit his stride with the second game and will only improve going forward. Still, I just can't help but notice that they're sitting on a lot of talent.

Didn't Kodaka say he can't imagine writing anything better after Another Episode? Hopefully he's just being modest since the guy is clearly talented.

Labrys

God, I feel so empty after beating this. I want to see more of this series and world. I'm sure Another Episode will make it over, but it can't come soon enough.

Didn't Kodaka say he can't imagine writing anything better after Another Episode? Hopefully he's just being modest since the guy is clearly talented.

With the "also 3" thing in the AE trailer I'm sure we're getting a third Dangan Ronpa, lots of stuff left to explore after all.

Dominator

In anticipation that I don't get the game on Tuesday from NISA, I pre-ordered a copy from GameStop so I can play ASAP. Once I get the LE i'll just take that copy out and return it to GS.

PK Gaming

He did? Do you happen to have a link?

Going through the first game right now and I'm pretty hooked.

Also I must say I love that song that plays each time Monokuma shows up.

ZeroX03

Banned
I accidentally pressed a spoiler tag because I'm on mobile. Now I know the first victim EDIT: in addition to already knowing the first three killers. I already roughly predicted it but now I'm sad to have it confirmed,
considering who my favorite character is.
T.T

kewlmyc

I accidentally pressed a spoiler tag because I'm on mobile. Now I know the first victim and first three killers. I already roughly predicted it but now I'm sad to have it confirmed,
T.T

What kind of spoiler tag in here revealed all of that? If you're referring to Zephyx, then he was just speculating about the killers not confirming them.

I accidentally pressed a spoiler tag because I'm on mobile. Now I know the first victim and first three killers. I already roughly predicted it but now I'm sad to have it confirmed,
T.T
Wow, who revealed all of that?

I just finished.

It's a great sequel overall, even though I initially felt it was going to teeter on being stale.

I don't think they can do another round of "killing game" though, if they continue, it'll need a new premise.

JUNKO RETURNS WOO!! But now I had to see her die three times, heh.

Quick question, I was only mildly entertain by Phoenix Wright, but I LOVE this. Should I look into 999/VLR?

I just finished.

It's a great sequel overall, even though I initially felt it was going to teeter on being stale.

I don't think they can do another round of "killing game" though, if they continue, it'll need a new premise.

Quick question, I was only mildly entertain by Phoenix Wright, but I LOVE this. Should I look into 999/VLR?
YES YES YES

CrazyDude

I just finished.

Well Daganronpa Another Episode is defiantly different.

I honestly think that the Zero Escape games and Danganronpa series are quite a bit different. Danganronpa is much more of a crazy emotional roller coaster ride, and Zero Escape is a bit more methodical in how its mystery pans out, though there are bursts of insanity as well.

I think they're both super quality, though (well, I'm playing through VLR at the moment and it's dragging quite a bit, but it's still good. I preferred 999's pacing by a lot).

Top Bottom