• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

PK Gaming

Without spoilers, how do you think it compares to the first story and character wise? Are the Court Trials as fun in this game as they were in the first? Is the music still 100% badass?!

10X better in every single category.

There's a reason why it's called Super DanganRonpa 2

Or was :<

Hugstable

Banned
Without spoilers, how do you think it compares to the first story and character wise? Are the Court Trials as fun in this game as they were in the first? Is the music still 100% badass?!

I'd say both the story and characters are much better and the trials are MUCH less predictable and more intense. There's a degree of tension and discomfort that was definitely not present in the original. Just a whole lot more despair-inducing all around.

Music is great, though a lot of tracks are re-used.

Okay, someone who beat it and has a good memory needs to PM me, I'm stuck at the end of Chapter 3 and my brain can't process wtf I'm missing.

LOL I need to get me one of these! http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/3849/Nendoroid+Monokuma.html

Also their Chiaki figure looks so well done!

EDIT: Forgot this might be spoilers whoops, got rid of it quick.

I have him, he's adorable.

BdlguBQCEAAq10x.jpg

I really do wish they also released a Hinata nendo. Cause nendos~

Zephyx

I'd say both the story and characters are much better and the trials are MUCH less predictable and more intense. There's a degree of tension and discomfort that was definitely not present in the original. Just a whole lot more despair-inducing all around.

How long was your playthrough? I may need to budget my time for this since I'm a bit busy with work this week.

Hugstable

Banned

If they bring back the "Heat UP" from the first game I'm gonna Squeeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHMQMW8WTYk

How long was your playthrough? I may need to budget my time for this since I'm a bit busy with work this week.

Maybe like 35-40 hours or something. Wasn't keeping track and you can't exactly check how long you've played. It's definitely longer than the first one, though.

Hugstable

Banned
Maybe like 35-40 hours or something. Wasn't keeping track and you can't exactly check how long you've played. It's definitely longer than the first one, though.

Yaaaaas!! The first game took me 25 hours to get through, so this seems way longer. Man my hype just keeps rising by the hour at this point.

Zephyx

Thanks! I'll try to play it 1 chapter at a time but I know I'll get hooked and I won't stop till it's over. :DD

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone in Australia thought of a good way to pick this up early? I didn't realise there was stuck an extra wait for us for some reason.

ss-hikaru

Anyone in Australia thought of a good way to pick this up early? I didn't realise there was stuck an extra wait for us for some reason.

Yeah it sucks, but the only way I can think of getting it earlier is to create a US account and get it off PSN. But I don't really wanna go through the hassle of changing regions just for one game so I'm just gonna wait :|

Vylash

yes you can, when you're saving just select the little i bubble next to the save file and it tells you, i'm in the middle of chapter 4 and i'm at 18 hours

yes you can, when you're saving just select the little i bubble next to the save file and it tells you, i'm in the middle of chapter 4 and i'm at 18 hours

Oh shit, you're right!

Final playtime was nearly 39 hours. Some of that was spent on a certain mini-game, but I can't imagine that affected it more than an hour.

Can you help me? I'm stuck at the end of chapter 3 :/

If it's what I think it is, here's a hint:
camera angle.

Zephyx

How many chapters in total? You can spoiler tag the answer if needed. My DR1 playthrough was about 20-25 hours

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just a quick question for you. Which major plot points are you referring to in VLR that you believe have been taken from DR? Because from what I can recall 90% of the reveals in VLR are recycled from Ever17. More in the spoilers below, for all 3 games.

Okay, so as you may know people were not as happy with VLR since it recycled most of Ever17's plot. This included:
People trapped in a structure that solves a purpose which is not known in the beginning.
Lying about the time that the game takes place in.
Lying about the playable character's identity.
Wide spread disease leading to a great reduction of the earth's population.
A character that is lying about their identity to hide the fact the the reader already know who they are.
An omnipresent being that is actually the reader themselves inhabiting certain characters.
Schrodinger's Cat in terms of the character in the elevator in Ever17, and K's true identity.
Clones.
The prisoner dilemma in terms of Sora in Ever17 and Luna in VLR both expressing human wants and desires.
And loads of others that I'm forgetting.

The point of the question I'm asking here is what plot points did VLR take from DR, that were not already in Uchikoshi previous works? Because everything that you may claim to be taken from DR was already in Ever17, and he then takes more from that.

I have never said that Danganronpa invented anything, my points are:
-Danganronpa is more famous and popular than Ever17
-i dunno in Ever 17 but Schrod's and prisoner's are explicity cited in Danganronpa and VLR
-i was not talking about just of the plot, even a certain key character is TOO similar
-people like to compare VLR and Danganronpa because evidently people think that those games belongs to the same genre(not me) and since plot and characters are the key of both games people didn't like to see VLR having a similar combination of elements already seen in Danganronpa, even worse if they were in Ever17 and other games too, people expected more from the sequel of 999 than just a copy paste of other games

If you pick VLR alone, without context, it's an amazing game and like many VLR fans you would not understand why it bombed, but if you add context with the relatively popular Danganronpa(people like to compare VLR to it for some reason) released 2 years before VLR with similar contents, like also Ever17 and other games, in that case you would reconsider the real value of VLR and understand why it bombed in Japan, where people already heard the same story in Danganronpa(2010) and Ever17(2009 PSP port).

So who was everyone's favorite characters from the first Danganronpa? I really liked both Hiro and Kyoko alot. Hiro had so many funny scenes and usually had a chill/funny attitude about everything going on. Plus the whole aliens stealing his hamburger even though it was pork scene had me dying. Kyoko I like alot because of her mysteriousness and her logic being quite high enough to where she was basically solving most of the cases before even we did.
She is the Ultimate Detective after all <3
36XrHSg.png

Not even a contest. I was initially drawn to her because of her design, but she turned out to have one of my favourite personalities from any game I've played. Largely regurgitating from the DR1 spoiler thread here:

- Morally bankrupt schemer who sees her former classmates as little more than expendable chips / pieces to be manipulated as she sees fit. I have an inherent fondness for the calculating sociopathic types, and she's one of the finest examples I've come across.
- Elusive history and personality, adding to her mystique as a character. Even having finished the game I'm still not entirely sure how much of what she said about her past was genuine.
- One of the few to successfully commit premeditated murder. The most villainous character outside of Junko and (arguably) Mukuro.
- Her performance during the chapter 3 trial was one of the game's highlights for me. Watching her facade crack, hurriedly repair itself and then gradually shatter into pieces was enthralling and partially compensated for the fact that I was effectively killing her.
- Favourite design / appearance from the game,
with or without her drills
. Gothic lolita is the pinnacle of fashion.

ZeroX03

Banned
If by pointless you mean fun.

What was remotely fun about School Mode after the first playthrough? You did the same shit four times in a row, reading the same dialogue repeated over and over. The 'game' portion was to pick the correct menu dialogue, and once you carried your levels over the first time there was no challenge at all to cleaning. Wasting hours away doing that pointless busy work for a trophy.

Then there was sitting there spending monocoins over and over until you got all the items. This has been fixed in the sequel I understand.

Ohnonono

Well I am glad I picked up the first game! So far the pace is crazy fast, and I like a VN like that. If I get bored during dialogue in a game that is MOSTLY DIALOGUE there is a major problem. Very much enjoying the little time I put into it so far. I doubt I will beat it by Tuesday but if I stick to it and don't get sucked into SAO full time like I have been then I should be done to at least pick up the second on release week. Unless the game takes a huge dive after the start worth every penny of 20$.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You can, on the save-screen, you can click on the "i"-icon to get information about your playtime. It took me between 34 and 35 hours to complete the main game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have never said that Danganronpa invented anything, my points are:
-Danganronpa is more famous and popular than Ever17
-i dunno in Ever 17 but Schrod's and prisoner's are explicity cited in Danganronpa and VLR
-i was not talking about just of the plot, even a certain key character is TOO similar
-people like to compare VLR and Danganronpa because evidently people think that those games belongs to the same genre(not me) and since plot and characters are the key of both games people didn't like to see VLR having a similar combination of elements already seen in Danganronpa, even worse if they were in Ever17 and other games too, people expected more from the sequel of 999 than just a copy paste of other games

If you pick VLR alone, without context, it's an amazing game and like many VLR fans you would not understand why it bombed, but if you add context with the relatively popular Danganronpa(people like to compare VLR to it for some reason) released 2 years before VLR with similar contents, like also Ever17 and other games, in that case you would reconsider the real value of VLR and understand why it bombed in Japan, where people already heard the same story in Danganronpa(2010) and Ever17(2009 PSP port).

I still think it is strange to say VLR is ripping off the prisoner's dilemma idea of DR, because the DR situation is no prisoner's dilemma situation, but the VLR one is. Just dropping the name is completely different when compared to basing your whole game on that. And a basic scenario from game theory ending up in a video game as a reference is not all too surprising.

You can check the time you´ve played by clicking on the little " i " on your save file in DR 1.

Edit: upupupupupu........beaten !

Volcynika

What was remotely fun about School Mode after the first playthrough? You did the same shit four times in a row, reading the same dialogue repeated over and over. The 'game' portion was to pick the correct menu dialogue, and once you carried your levels over the first time there was no challenge at all to cleaning. Wasting hours away doing that pointless busy work for a trophy.

Then there was sitting there spending monocoins over and over until you got all the items. This has been fixed in the sequel I understand.

School Mode was the worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrst

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, please tell me School Mode was improved in the sequel. It felt like I spent more time doing that compared to the story in the first game. All the challenge was gone after the 2nd playthrough, & it probably took me about 5 of them to platinum the game.

kewlmyc

Oh yeah, please tell me School Mode was improved in the sequel. It felt like I spent more time doing that compared to the story in the first game. All the challenge was gone after the 2nd playthrough, & it probably took me about 5 of them to platinum the game.

School mode didn't exist in the original DanganRonpa 1 on PSP and was only added to the Vita version since it was well received in DR2. In other words, School Mode in DR1 was made after DR2, so I doubt it's improved at all. It could actually be worse.

36XrHSg.png

Not even a contest. I was initially drawn to her because of her design, but she turned out to have one of my favourite personalities from any game I've played. Largely regurgitating from the DR1 spoiler thread here:

- Morally bankrupt schemer who sees her former classmates as little more than expendable chips / pieces to be manipulated as she sees fit. I have an inherent fondness for the calculating sociopathic types, and she's one of the finest examples I've come across.
- Elusive history and personality, adding to her mystique as a character. Even having finished the game I'm still not entirely sure how much of what she said about her past was genuine.
- One of the few to successfully commit premeditated murder. The most villainous character outside of Junko and (arguably) Mukuro.
- Her performance during the chapter 3 trial was one of the game's highlights for me. Watching her facade crack, hurriedly repair itself and then gradually shatter into pieces was enthralling and partially compensated for the fact that I was effectively killing her.
- Favourite design / appearance from the game,
with or without her drills
. Gothic lolita is the pinnacle of fashion.

This is all correct. You have fine taste my friend.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I still think it is strange to say VLR is ripping off the prisoner's dilemma idea of DR, because the DR situation is no prisoner's dilemma situation, but the VLR one is. Just dropping the name is completely different when compared to basing your whole game on that. And a basic scenario from game theory ending up in a video game as a reference is not all too surprising.

Honestly i'm not sure it's prisoner's dilemma, maybe it's something else that's also in VLR, but the point is that games usually don't name the ideas behind them, but both danganronpa and VLR do it, that's uncommon so players are impressed and those remain in their minds, but if some of those ideas are the same obviously someone ends having a not desired deja-vu.

Zephyx

Got DR2 earlier today! Just playing through with the prologue.
Gundham's intro was funny as hell.

Will post my impressions later :)

Hugstable

Banned
I woke up this morning and realized I still can't play DR2 yet :(.

I'm gonna check with my stores today to see if anyone is carrying or selling it yet, this hype is too hard to sit through.

hmm good idea, I got 2 Gamestops in my area, and the one closest to me has pretty cool people that work there, so it wouldn't hurt to try. I will go crazy if I'm actually able to buy this game today
I've noticed a couple people here have the game so I think you should be able to buy it.
My sister is heading over there now to see if she can grab a copy for herself.

Thanks! I'll try to play it 1 chapter at a time but I know I'll get hooked and I won't stop till it's over. :DD

Heck, each chapter kept me hooked! More than once I knew I wasn't sleeping much that night if the murder happened in the game later on in my real-life evening. No sleep can be had until all the evidence is collected and the trial is complete!!

pariah164

hmm good idea, I got 2 Gamestops in my area, and the one closest to me has pretty cool people that work there, so it wouldn't hurt to try. I will go crazy if I'm actually able to buy this game today
My GameStop is pretty cool, but they are really cracking down on early releases. A couple employees broke the release on a major title and they both got fired, fined, and banned from Gamestop, possibly for life.

Back on the subject of DR, I still have not platinumed the first one. Damn Monokuma machine.

Top Bottom