• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Mr. Virus

Since I just started the first I'm not risking doing research on this because of spoilers so if anyone could be kind enough to answer this question:
I hear DR2 is very different from the first in terms of gameplay? Is that true? Or is it a lot like the first?
Also, what's that thing called Another Episode? DLC?
Thanks in advance.

Gameplay is pretty much the same. There are a few extra minigames for the class trial, and travelling between different areas is in 2D.

MSMrRound

Since I just started the first I'm not risking doing research on this because of spoilers so if anyone could be kind enough to answer this question:
I hear DR2 is very different from the first in terms of gameplay? Is that true? Or is it a lot like the first?
Thanks in advance.

DR2's class trials get a couple of new mechanisms.

Another Episode is a spin-off action shooter thingy for the Playstation Vita. The timeline for Another Episode takes place between Danganronpa 1 and 2, so it's essentially Danganronpa 1.5.

Gameplay is pretty much the same. There are a few extra minigames for the class trial, and travelling between different areas is in 2D.

DR2's class trials get a couple of new mechanisms.

Another Episode is a spin-off action shooter thingy for the Playstation Vita. The timeline for Another Episode takes place between Danganronpa 1 and 2, so it's essentially Danganronpa 1.5.

Thanks guys.
So is Another Episode worth checking out?
Also, is there a better deal for DR2 than the one on PlayAsia?

Alpha_eX

Thanks in advance.

DR2 is really similar in terms of game play, main difference is you're not always in third person when traveling about which is a welcome change, especially with fast movement on dpad.

Court room scenes are near enough exactly the same, aside form some new and upgraded mini games.

Lusankya

Thanks in advance.

It's basically the same concerning the gameplay, although there are some new minigames during the trials.

Another Episode is a new game in the Danganronpa series, we don't even know whether or not this will come to the West. It's a spin-off title featuring Naegi's sister and takes place between DR1 and DR2 with a third-person shooter gameplay (kinda).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh sweet, so along with themes coming to Vita, there was a Danganronpa Another one confirmed & it changes the icons of stuff like Trophies, Party Chat, etc. Really hope we get that or one from the main games. Not sure how spoiler-ish it is, though, so I won't risk posting it unless someone wants to confirm it doesn't spoil anything character-wise.

It's basically the same concerning the gameplay, although there are some new minigames during the trials.

Another Episode is a new game in the Danganronpa series, we don't even know whether or not this will come to the West. It's a spin-off title featuring Naegi's sister and takes place between DR1 and DR2 with a third-person shooter gameplay (kinda).

TPS? Da Fuck?!
Thanks for the info.

Oh sweet, so along with themes coming to Vita, there was a Danganronpa Another one confirmed & it changes the icons of stuff like Trophies, Party Chat, etc. Really hope we get that or one from the main games. Not sure how spoiler-ish it is, though, so I won't risk posting it unless someone wants to confirm it doesn't spoil anything character-wise.
About those themes, was the music in the background just there for the trailer or do themes actually come with customs BGMs?

there are some pics in the spoiler thread from AE that are blatant DR2 spoilers, like endgame spoilers

If it's what I'm thinking I wouldn't necessarily call them blatant endgame spoilers, but yeah that's what I was talking about.

Unless you mean the fan-made pics that have been getting posted that totally are an endgame spoiler.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
About those themes, was the music in the background just there for the trailer or do themes actually come with customs BGMs?
PSP & PS3 themes never had custom music, but very rarely, they'd have custom BGMs when moving around on the main menu, going to options, & selecting stuff. Though the only one off the top of my head that did that was the Sonic 4 one.

PSP & PS3 themes never had custom music, but very rarely, they'd have custom BGMs when moving around on the main menu, going to options, & selecting stuff. Though the only one off the top of my head that did that was the Sonic 4 one.
Yeah, so it was probably just for the trailer. It would have been pretty cool though.
Hopefully those themes won't have compressed wallpapers ç_ç

Only 4 days left for EU release, hnnng. I've been avoiding this thread since the spoilers started popping up so I wouldn't accidentily highlight one, but it's getting hard to stay away when the game is almost here.

Only 4 days left for EU release, hnnng. I've been avoiding this thread since the spoilers started popping up so I wouldn't accidentily highlight one, but it's getting hard to stay away when the game is almost here.
I hope it actually releases on the 5th here in Italy as well. Gamestop says 15th and now Amazon.it says 11th. I'm scared.

Just finished chapter 5....

AHHHHHHH WHAT THE FUCKKK both of my favorite characters gone in one chapter!! And Nagito's plan was so batshit insane, I'm still reeling from how ridiculous it was.

Definitely my favorite chapter across both games. 11/10, would despair again.

Torraz

AHHHHHHH WHAT THE FUCKKK both of my favorite characters gone in one chapter!! And Nagito's plan was so batshit insane, I'm still reeling from how ridiculous it was.

Had the same thing!

(not really a spoiler)
In DR 1 my favorite characters died soon, but in DR 2 it seemed that they might make it, only to be crushed near the very end :(.

kewlmyc

It's why I love that character so much. So ridiculous.

nikos

Without spoilers, does anyone know if anything from the first DR is explained in this game or is it completely fresh? I was expecting to see more returning characters.

EDIT: I finished the first DR, I meant spoilers to part 2 or the explanation of the first.

Without spoilers, does anyone know if anything from the first DR is explained in this game or is it completely fresh? I was expecting to see more returning characters.

Yes, some of the questions not answered in the first game are answered in this one.

MSMrRound

EDIT: I finished the first DR, I meant spoilers to part 2 or the explanation of the first.

Yes. Some stuff will be explained. You can link some of the stuff on your own.

I'm going on a total blackout for the last few days on these threads and youtube before the game releases and then just friggin maul through the game on weekend. Have already had way too many potential spoilers and I hope there is still many surprises to be had.

Things that might or might not be true that I have been spoiled on:
Monomi is the gamer girl.
Lucky student is Naegi or has a connection to him (this one is not really that surprising tho)
Swordswoman probably kills the Yakuza dude
Byakya is probably dead by chapter... 4 I think? I saw a fuckin youtube recommendation ways back with his face on a class trial scene with the ''X'' sign on his stand. Not entirely sure about this tho.
I think Gundham and Soda will be alive for the last chapters (again, youtube recommendations)

Lusankya

I'm going on a total blackout for the last few days on these threads and youtube before the game releases and then just friggin maul through the game on weekend. Have already had way too many potential spoilers and I hope there is still many surprises to be had.

Things that might or might not be true that I have been spoiled on:
Monomi is the gamer girl.
Lucky student is Naegi or has a connection to him (this one is not really that surprising tho)
Swordswoman probably kills the Yakuza dude
Byakya is probably dead by chapter... 4 I think? I saw a fuckin youtube recommendation ways back with his face on a class trial scene with the ''X'' sign on his stand. Not entirely sure about this tho.
I think Gundham and Soda will be alive for the last chapters (again, youtube recommendations)

Haha, actually every single item is wrong.

If you plan on looking up Danganronpa videos, or have in the past, and don't want to be spoiled, use these:

RUNhwdg.png

Will prevent recommended videos from showing up on your home page (though YouTube's had the tendency to recommend stuff based on recently watched videos lately so still be careful). I've been spoiled on both games through recommended videos so I know it really sucks, lol

Tempted to order the LE from NIS Europe since I'm currently REALLY liking my time with the first one. But the price is totally ridiculous in EU.

Opinions?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
September 1, 2014 , 8:54 am
Arrived at Post Office

hnnnnngh
Same here. Just sucks tomorrow, I don't have much time when I get home from my first class i.e when the mail's arrived & when I gotta go to my second class. It'll be on my mind the entire class period.

Still, props for NIS America for the speedy delivery on the LE. It was already great that I got the first game LE 2 days after the game's launch, but getting it on launch day is even better.

MSMrRound

Oh...you will definitely get to know more about the state of the world....somewhat.

Can't divulge more since it's spoiler territory.

nikos

So will this game explain more about the
state of the world?

I hope so.

It does seem to take place outside, so either things got better, they were never bad, there are good/safe areas, or the setting is a lie.

For people like myself who don't have a Vita, are these games good to watch through on YouTube?

I wouldn't. It's not a straight visual novel where reading is all you do. Plenty of fun and intense player interaction that would be lost by just watching it.

If you wanted to wait until next month, you could always just grab a Playstation TV and play both games that way.

Yasumi

Banned
Amazon's finally preparing my shipment, probably get it by Wednesday. I'm thinking of importing Another Episode. No way I'd be able to avoid spoilers, now that I'm so into the series.

Don't forget.

Don't get attached.
Already spoiled myself somewhat since I didn't think I was gonna get it. The ending and teasing of the first really turned me off but the spoiler for 2 brought me back. Sucks cause it would've had an insane impact:(
I didn't think I would buy it but I preordered it. Tomorrow I pick it up!
Same, I love when this happens since I don't have to go through the long wait period. Preordered on Sunday.

MSMrRound

One of my Twitter pals got the end game spoiled for him by a friend who strolled up to him and casually dropped some spoilers, knowing that he is looking forward to the game.

If you have such a friend...leave them far away...

Top Bottom