• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

DaBoss

So I played all the way to about half-way through the first trial and wow, this first trial ain't no joke.

The new hangman thing is pretty slow and I keep on mixing up the buttons lol, but it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The agree thing is a great addition. The blade thing seems to be pretty lame.

Chapter 1
I wasn't surprised that Byakuya was the victim considering how much it focused on him. I don't think it is the real Byakuya, so I don't care if he dies lol.

I was fooled by the Nagito confession even though I thought abou the 5mm thing before Mikan mentioned it. I was in complete disbelief since I think he is obviously Makoto (anagram is a dead giveaway).

Speculation about the overall plot:
I don't think this is taking in the real world and with the way the beginning had a computer program starting seems to indicate it is a virtual thing. Also the door had a digital like background thing. It would also explain all the magical stuff happening, though I guess they could be special effects.

Not sure why they are in this world, so until I have some idea, my theory seems to be a stretch. It seems like it will have something to do with building hope going by what Nagito said.

And all of this is from the prologue and nearly all of chapter 1, this game is great so far.

Oh god, after having cleared the game, I love hearing all this specukation!

It'll be even better when people's expectations are completely shattered... upupupu..

MSMrRound

It's amazing how much I hate him. But I love that everyone else does too, lol

Fanbase can be pretty divided about certain characters.
I think pretty much everyone agree Chiaki is a goddess though <3

Edit: aww. Even though he got a picture of Monokuma as his avatar, I just want to give the creator a hug.

BwnF2xPCQAA5ihY.jpg:large

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Huh, I wonder if people hating Nagito are using the English voices? He seems alright to me, but I also haven't gotten that far into the game.

CrazyDude

Post Chapter 1 speculation
I wonder if Nagito really is the traitor or not. It seems too obvious if he was, which make me think that he might just be a crazy person and not necessarily the mastermind behind the whole thing.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's now live in the European PSN store, and good news for those in Australia & New Zealand, it looks like it's available for immediate purchase! (physical copies don't release until the 11th here)

Unfortunately I just ordered a US physical copy a few hours ago, so I'm pretty ticked. I assumed it'd be held back, like is usually the case.

OH SHIT ITS AVAILABLE ON AU PSN

I'M IN THERE

Unfortunately I just ordered a US physical copy a few hours ago, so I'm pretty ticked. I assumed it'd be held back, like is usually the case.

Now that I think about it, this exact same thing happened with the first game. The physical release was pushed back a week and I was annoyed then I noticed it available for purchase just like now.

ZeroX03

Banned
Now that I think about it, this exact same thing happened with the first game. The physical release was pushed back a week and I was annoyed then I noticed it available for purchase just like now.

Yeah normally when games come out later in Aus/NZ they also hold back the digital release. So I'll go and import and then this shit happens. Oh well, I save $10 and 1.5GB worth of space.

bigkrev

Thanks to the kind people in this thread and going to Youtube, I was finally able to beat the sword battle stuff. This game does not do a good job explaining things- In the rhythm battle at the end I kept failing because the game never tells you to hold the X button- just to "press" it. It explicitly tells you to "hold" the touchscreen if you are using touch controls though! On the whole, I'm really not a fan of the minigames so far- they all seem like needlessly complicated versions of the puzzles from the first game.

That said
Chapter 1
I went into the trial thinking it was Nagito, so I feel at least half-smart! Though the thing with hearing Teruteru's voice is really misleading- I don't care how big the cracks in the floor are, it's going to sound muffled or distorted, and it did not in the VO. It's intentionally misleading in a bad way- there is almost no way to have paid enough attention and solved this case before the trial.

HGH

Banned
I really do hate the tutorials in this game actually. They spend far too much time trying to be "cheeky" or silly when they're obnoxious and unintuitive, which makes their joke kinda insulting.

RetroMG

Ugh, I am completely stuck in the Chapter one Trial at the
sword battle with Komaeda about Kazuichi's testimony. I swear I've tried all the swords on all the weak spots and I am getting nowhere.
Help?

Edit: Disregard, I'm stupid and I just realized that I wasn't doing it right.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just curious, is it recommended to play on Mean?

I heard that Dangan Ronpa 1 was a bit too easy on Normal, so I chose Mean from the get go. It felt right. Is Dangan Ronpa 2 similar?

bigkrev

I heard that Dangan Ronpa 1 was a bit too easy on Normal, so I chose Mean from the get go. It felt right. Is Dangan Ronpa 2 similar?

Normal is a lot harder this time around. You have significantly more bullets earlier in the game (you have 5 bullets loaded at all times in the first case, compared to the single bullet you would have in DR1 at this point), and the minigames are really poorly explained. I would start on normal, and kick it up to mean after the first case (it lets you do this) if you find it too easy.

MSMrRound

That said
Chapter 1
I don't care how big the cracks in the floor are, it's going to sound muffled or distorted, and it did not in the VO. It's intentionally misleading in a bad way

they specified that there are gaps in the floor which are not covered by the carpet that Nagito put up. He shouted through the floor gap when he was supposed to be in the kitchen. That's about it. When he countered by saying he felt his way from the dark hallway to the dining hall, the final piece of evidence did him in

Thanks to the kind people in this thread and going to Youtube, I was finally able to beat the sword battle stuff. This game does not do a good job explaining things- In the rhythm battle at the end I kept failing because the game never tells you to hold the X button- just to "press" it. It explicitly tells you to "hold" the touchscreen if you are using touch controls though! On the whole, I'm really not a fan of the minigames so far- they all seem like needlessly complicated versions of the puzzles from the first game.

The game is terrible at explaining these shitty mini-games. They throw blobs of text at you before you have any context for what they are talking about. I didn't mind these mini-games in the first game, but they've somehow made them a lot worse.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

The game is pretty hard on normal (kind) for me.

esterk

Is there a list anywhere for which items appeal to which characters yet? Or does it not matter what you give to each person during free time?

Can I give a character the same item over and over? For instance I know tips and tips appeals to the ultimate gamer, can I just give that to her over and over?

And yes, the mini games this time around seem a little complex. It took me forever to understand some of them because the tutorials are convoluted.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The game is pretty hard on normal (kind) for me.

Normal is a lot harder this time around. You have significantly more bullets earlier in the game (you have 5 bullets loaded at all times in the first case, compared to the single bullet you would have in DR1 at this point), and the minigames are really poorly explained. I would start on normal, and kick it up to mean after the first case (it lets you do this) if you find it too easy.

Alright, thanks. I've already started Chapter 1 on Mean, so I think I'll just see if it gets bad. I was more wondering so I could prep myself for a beating, which looks like a distinct possibility. I may tone it down next chapter, if so.

LiK

Is there a list anywhere for which items appeal to which characters yet? Or does it not matter what you give to each person during free time?

And yes, the mini games this time around seem a little complex. It took me forever to understand some of them because the tutorials are convoluted.
I tried looking for a gift list and found nothing except for the first game. It's one part of the game I don't mind FAQing.

Awww yissss downloaded! Finally can join you guys.

When the titlesreen+music brings a smile to my face you know they are doing something right.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Listened to the OST over the last few days. No remixes this time around, nor execution themes. 2 of the songs are from the previous game (well, technically, "featured" since "Love is Survival" originated in 2, then carried over to DR1's School Mode). The track listing:

1. Danganronpa [2ND GIG Loop]
  2. Beautiful Ruin
  3. Kill Now
  4. Monokuma Overdrive
  5. Trapped by the Ocean Scent
  6. Re: Climactic Reenactment
  7. Fly Helicopter, Fly
  8. Class Trial (Variant)
  9. PTA
  10. Love is Survival
  11. The Day Before the Future

Moonlight

Banned
Chapter 1 murder spoilers:

Noooooo. ;_;

Goddammit. Just when Byakuya was really becoming legit likable. He suffered enough, he doesn't deserve this. :(

Finished the prologue last night and I guess I gotta say I rather do like everyone's English voices. All really well done.

Though I guess I'm kinda half/half on Gundham, just cause I keep expecting to hear SUGITAAAAA

esterk

Eh, it was up earlier. Nevermind. Here's the JP Wiki gift list:

http://danganronpa2084.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/プレゼント (Should work this time)

Just don't highlight the last few portions.

Edit: added link for Hidden Monokuma location. Select the specific chapter you are looking for. http://danganronpa2084.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/カクレモノクマ

I think I found it here: http://alteregobot.tumblr.com/post/50437198052/parbles-super-dangan-ronpa-2-present-table should be the same one you posted, but I think it's a reblog :)

PKrockin

Finished up case 1 after a solid all-night session that felt like 2 hours (DR1 spoilers below too).

I had figured out the killer, how he killed Byakuya, and that Makoto had tried to pull something too, but I didn't know whether he was working together with the cook or not. This case was way better than the previous game's first case with that 11037 garbage, lol.

It was pretty disturbing to see Makoto slowly descend into the same nutty rambling Junko did last game, swirly pattern eyes and all. I really hope this isn't all a virtual reality thing to show the world that hope can prevail or something.

rip in piece feep. Would have liked to hear you in one trial before you got offed.

I can almost hear /v/ posting Chiaki fanart threads as we speak.

Next time I'll remember to post impressions/guesses before the trial begins since people like reading those.

Nope, it does tell you to hold X and release to shoot. I agree the tutorials are bad though.

kewlmyc

Finished up case 1 after a solid all-night session that felt like 2 hours (DR1 spoilers below too).

I had figured out the killer, how he killed Byakuya, and that Makoto had tried to pull something too, but I didn't know whether he was working together with the cook or not. This case was way better than the previous game's first case with that 11037 garbage, lol.

It was pretty disturbing to see Makoto slowly descend into the same nutty rambling Junko did last game, swirly pattern eyes and all. I really hope this isn't all a virtual reality thing to show the world that hope can prevail or something.

rip in piece feep. Would have liked to hear you in one trial before you got offed.

I can almost hear /v/ posting Chiaki fanart threads as we speak.

Next time I'll remember to post impressions/guesses before the trial begins since people like reading those.

Nope, it does tell you to hold X and release to shoot. I agree the tutorials are bad though.
Makoto? Wrong game dude.

misteroms

Banned
Annnnnnnnnd it's downloading through my veins from EUR PSN !

Lots and lots of fun for me pupupupupu~

Have a nice game everyone.

Wait is this out already in Europe? I thought it came out friday but it's already on the store and available in my local game shop. Why didn't I know this sooner, I would have stopped by on the way home :(

Top Bottom