• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

JNA

Banned
Glad to hear it! Could you post their number or PM it? Sounds like they're easy to deal with by phone.

Sure!

(714) 540-1185

The number is on there NIS Store Help page. Go to shipping information and choose "what if my package is defected or damaged" option.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OOHHH NOOOOOO...

I'm not like this tone & foreshadowing in this first trial.

I mean, I kind of questioned it, but that ominous music wasn't helping...

HGH

Banned
Maybe that's the key; they're all messed up.

Managed to get one maxed on Hope shards!

Wonder what that means for the post-game...

That honestly seems to be the connecting thread.
So far not a single person whose past I've explored hasn't been really awful or terrible in some way.
Speaking of which...

BIG chapter 3 end spoilers
I FUCKING KNEW IT, Tsumiki went all psycho and got 2 people killed! I knew she was crazy! No one gets that bullied and survives with their sanity intact.
But...not for the reason I expected I guess. Now I'm seriously wondering what the hell is in those memories that she so adamantly didn't want to share and makes her say everyone is so terrible...I'm really suspecting if Monomi did actually do something to these people in a reverse Monokuma sorta way.
Although I will say this murder case was pretty stupid. Tsumiki was fine but like with Celes, there was a lot of dumb evidence and behavior.

It's now live in the European PSN store, and good news for those in Australia & New Zealand, it looks like it's available for immediate purchase! (physical copies don't release until the 11th here)

Unfortunately I just ordered a US physical copy a few hours ago, so I'm pretty ticked. I assumed it'd be held back, like is usually the case.

Thanks so much!!

Cancelled my Amazon order since the delivery estimate was next week and bought it digitally instead...

Hurry up and download!!

JNA

Banned
I... totally missed that. Whoops.

I never noticed at first and you sort of have to dig in to find it. I think it's mostly there fault actually for not having the phone number displayed on the store front page or in a contact us button.

DaBoss

PTA instructions are so bad. I didn't know I was supposed to hold on to it. And then after a while I figured out I'm supposed to let go of the X button at the right time to destroy the random words.

LiK

PTA instructions are so bad. I didn't know I was supposed to hold on to it. And then after a while I figured out I'm supposed to let go of the X button at the right time to destroy the random words.

It's all pretty convoluted and clumsy. The way they explained the cutting of the words in the Rebuttals were awful too. I guess localizing the instructions were pretty tough. I hate all the new gameplay mini games in the trials. They didn't need them.

Chris R

My copy should be here tomorrow I would hope... oh man I can't wait :( Sucks seeing the thread explode knowing I can't read a post in it yet :(

Moonlight

Banned
God, this trial has already stumped me. Chapter 1 spoilers:

So, we're trying to clarify if Peko was fed laxatives or not. Highlighted words are 'laxatives' and 'would ruin the taste' but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go. Somehow I feel this involves the picture of Mikan in, uh, her pose, since it's Teruteru, but ack, I
dunno.

EDIT: Never mind, I was over-thinking it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Plushes and end trial bonuses are the only income. Nothing from objects this time.
You'll also get coins from your pet when they're fully raised, along with some random presents. I got 100 the first time I fully raised one.

MSMrRound

God, this trial has already stumped me. Chapter 1 spoilers:

So, we're trying to clarify if Peko was fed laxatives or not. Highlighted words are 'laxatives' and 'would ruin the taste' but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go. Somehow I feel this involves the picture of Mikan in, uh, her pose, since it's Teruteru, but ack, I dunno.

there's Party Dishes isn't there. Akane also ate food, so shoot Party Dishes at Laxatives

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wouldn't mind the Improved Hangman's Gambit if it wasn't so picky with letters I actually needed & decide to have letters float really close together.

& please don't tell me since I took damage from it, it negates the "cleared a class trial without taking any damage" trophy...

It's pretty lame. So slow and random. I really dislike the new Hangman
Yeah, 1/2 the time, I had to hold down "O" just to speed things up.

LiK

I wouldn't mind the Improved Hangman's Gambit if it wasn't so picky with letters I actually needed & decide to have letters float really close together.

RetroMG

Agreed. And that last one in case one really screwed with me. I kept trying to put in
Meat Skewer
instead of
Iron Skewer
. I finally just started guessing letters until I got the first one, then I felt stupid.

Actually, I felt stupid during a lot of that first case, between that and not being able to figure out the sword minigame.

Few more questions:

Anywhere a list of the items you need for additional scenes? Spoiler free of course.

Hope shards used for anything else other than buying skills e-handbook?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
wait hold up

what.

EDIT: chapter 1 trial:
what the fuck is nagito even trying to pull
Seriously, this trial is insane. It almost feels like it should appear later in the game. Hell, it feels so much longer in comparison to DR1's intro case.

LiK

Seriously, this trial is insane. It almost feels like it should appear later in the game. Hell, it feels so much longer in comparison to DR1's intro case.

Pretty awesome eh? DR2 is def made for DR1 vets. I completed Trial 2 last night and that was pretty cray cray.

Moonlight

Banned
Chapter 1 spoilers:

...is Monokuma going to make good on his threat to wipe your save data if you don't guess the killer correctly?

EDIT: oh goddammit

Beat Chapter 1 last night, but I think I might beat Layton Vs. Wright before I continue, as I'm nearly at the end of that. Fantastic so far though. Started much, much stronger than Danganronpa 1 did.

Case 1 thoughts and speculation - PLEASE DON'T CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T CLEARED THE FIRST TRIAL

-
I thought Fat Byakuya might be some kind of impersonator or clone or whatever, but after Case 1 I'm ultimately convinced he's the same man. There was a bit of dialogue where Hinata mentioned he might be stress eating due to past trauma, a not so subtle implication. That, and ultimately he was a different, more caring person after the events of the first game. I'm fairly sure he somehow got onto the island with the intention of rescuing the other students, and played dumb to the whole thing because Monokuma would have likely killed him otherwise. How did Monokuma not recognize him though? That to me might imply that Monokuma may have someone else in control. Or, of course, Monokuma acted like he didn't know because he's an ass like that.

-
Nagito surpised the shit out of me by revealing himself in the first case. I immediately had him pegged as a suspicious character because of all his similarities to Makoto Naegi (same ultimate, similar sounding name, and I think same voice actor) but I was thinking he would act like a loveable doof until some point later in the game. His role as a pure agent of chaos that doesn't care if everyone lives or dies will be an interesting one, though it calls into question why they don't just imprison him or tie him up if he's going to be the biggest liability on the island. Maybe it will be answered later.

-
The game's passive aggressive way of saying that its mechanics are better than the first is very charming.

-
Mikan....bothers me. She either needs to be revealed as a psycho or given some character development. Her whole LOL WHOOPS TIME FOR FANSERVICE thing is so blatant that I honestly believe it's purposeful and she's like a crazed attention grabber or something. Mainly because after Sayaka in the original sent up the "pristine girl next door" cliche, I have far too much faith in the writers to not play around with the expectation of fanservice, especially since the game has called itself out on it.

-
Soda. His only character trait so far is licking Sonia's boots, so I hope he either dies or kills someone soon.
-
I like everyone else. Great cast, really. One good thing is there's no clear cut "I'm way smarter than everyone else and will be forced to carry the mysteries almost entirely" characters like Kyoko and Byakuya in the original. Chiaki surprised me by being one of the more reasonable and intelligent characters in the absence of that. Also, Mahiru's weird emphasis on gender divisions is a major red flag and I'm wondering how that will pay off.

I wrote a lot more than I thought I would, but it just shows that I'm really into this game so far.

pariah164

... Fuck. (Chapter 3 murder spoilers)

Hiyoko I am fine with getting offed, but WHY did you have to kill off Ibuki too? Dammit! Best girl is gone, RIP in peace.

PK Gaming

Beat Chapter 1 last night, but I think I might beat Layton Vs. Wright before I continue, as I'm nearly at the end of that. Fantastic so far though. Started much, much stronger than Danganronpa 1 did.

Case 1 thoughts and speculation - PLEASE DON'T CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T CLEARED THE FIRST TRIAL

-
I thought Fat Byakuya might be some kind of impersonator or clone or whatever, but after Case 1 I'm ultimately convinced he's the same man. There was a bit of dialogue where Hinata mentioned he might be stress eating due to past trauma, a not so subtle implication. That, and ultimately he was a different, more caring person after the events of the first game. I'm fairly sure he somehow got onto the island with the intention of rescuing the other students, and played dumb to the whole thing because Monokuma would have likely killed him otherwise. How did Monokuma not recognize him though? That to me might imply that Monokuma may have someone else in control. Or, of course, Monokuma acted like he didn't know because he's an ass like that.

-
Nagito surpised the shit out of me by revealing himself in the first case. I immediately had him pegged as a suspicious character because of all his similarities to Makoto Naegi (same ultimate, similar sounding name, and I think same voice actor) but I was thinking he would act like a loveable doof until some point later in the game. His role as a pure agent of chaos that doesn't care if everyone lives or dies will be an interesting one, though it calls into question why they don't just imprison him or tie him up if he's going to be the biggest liability on the island. Maybe it will be answered later.

-
The game's passive aggressive way of saying that its mechanics are better than the first is very charming.

-
Mikan....bothers me. She either needs to be revealed as a psycho or given some character development. Her whole LOL WHOOPS TIME FOR FANSERVICE thing is so blatant that I honestly believe it's purposeful and she's like a crazed attention grabber or something. Mainly because after Sayaka in the original sent up the "pristine girl next door" cliche, I have far too much faith in the writers to not play around with the expectation of fanservice, especially since the game has called itself out on it.

-
Soda. His only character trait so far is licking Sonia's boots, so I hope he either dies or kills someone soon.
-
I like everyone else. Great cast, really. One good thing is there's no clear cut "I'm way smarter than everyone else and will be forced to carry the mysteries almost entirely" characters like Kyoko and Byakuya in the original. Chiaki surprised me by being one of the more reasonable and intelligent characters in the absence of that. Also, Mahiru's weird emphasis on gender divisions is a major red flag and I'm wondering how that will pay off.

I wrote a lot more than I thought I would, but it just shows that I'm really into this game so far.

You should definitely look into Tsumiki's Free Time events. They shed some light on why she acts that way.

And yeah, this game is something else. There's a reason why it's called SUPER DanganRonpa 2 >:)

Xord

Started playing this game today but I already read an enormous spoiler on the internet so that is not really a great start.

Oh, one (probably really stupid) question:

Is there a monomono machine somewhere or is buying the items from the vending machine only way to get presents?

FLD

Alright, I just finished replaying the first game. Feel free to ship my copy any time, Amazon. Like, now would be good. :(

I probably shouldn't even be in this thread. All those spoiler tags...

kewlmyc

Heh, reading the speculations here sure are interesting after beating the game. Upupupu.

On Chapter 2 right now and the dub is pretty good so far. Not on par with the original Japanese at all, but it's better than the first game so far. Only gripe is that some of the dialogue during the trial was delivered rather half-heartedly from some of the characters. Can't wait to see how the dub handles some of the late game developments.

Also the Dueling Swords mechanic doesn't seem to translate to english well. Reading whole sentences sideways that include essential truth points is a nuisance.

I guess I'll worry about the special scenes on a second ''playthrough''. Too scared to look em up and I'd rather not fight with the monomono machine to get em reloading over and over.

Moonlight

Banned
Chapter 1 Trial Spoilers:

did this motherfucker just NO, THAT'S WRONG me

YOU DON'T GET TO SHOOT TRUTH BULLETS, NAGITO

I AM THE MAIN CHARACTER HEREEE

MSMrRound

I guess I'll worry about the special scenes on a second ''playthrough''. Too scared to look em up and I'd rather not fight with the monomono machine to get em reloading over and over.

You can pretty much tell which are the items. Check the 50 monocoin items in the vending machine. If you land one through gatchapon, count yourself lucky.

Chapter 1 Trial Spoilers:

Pretty cool eh? I really like this addition.

Top Bottom