• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

bobawesome

I'm still in the first case but I have a suspicion that
Nagito Komaeda may actually be an alias and he's really an older version of Makoto from the first Danganronpa.
Well, I guess I can come back here after beating the game and see how horribly wrong I am, haha.

Noi

GOD DAMMIT

Chapter 2 End Spoilers:

I WAS ONE FREE TIME AWAY FROM MAXING OUT PEKO. JUST ONE. The moment the trial turned in the direction of the plastic bottles my heart just sunk. They didn't let me pick her for the free time before the murder happened, so I feel so god damn cheated out of that. ARGH.

pariah164

GOD DAMMIT

Chapter 2 End Spoilers:

I WAS ONE FREE TIME AWAY FROM MAXING OUT PEKO. JUST ONE. The moment the trial turned in the direction of the plastic bottles my heart just sunk. They didn't let me pick her for the free time before the murder happened, so I feel so god damn cheated out of that. ARGH.
I know that feel, bro. Bring it in.

Moonlight

Banned
Yup. I'm not far in yet, but she pretty much seems like the worst. Although her snarky face is pretty great in a punchable way. :p
I dunno. I don't like Saionji by any means. In fact, she's... kind of crazy (squish squish!), but I don't hate her. I think she's got a... certain quality to her. She's meanspirited and unsympathetic, but she's a little more fun to hate on than, say, Yamada was in DR1.

I think she's got pretty great expressions, too, when she's insulting people.

Also, she reminds of this character called Kigu from Joshiraku.

tumblr_mgalst8vTH1qepfb0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mgalst8vTH1qepfb0o2_1280.jpg

todd360

Oh yeah I forgot to post this. My amazon box containing the game was all f'ed up when it got to my house. The driver even mentioned it. The game box was in perfect condition though. I guess it's hard to ship that much despair in such a small box without things going badly.

pariah164

Uh, guys? I think my game glitched out. (Chapt. 4 spoilers).

Just after meeting up with the guys from Strawberry House, Nagito left after looking over Mechamaru's body, then I left to the lobby of Grape House. After walking around a bit, my screen suddenly went white, and I can't see anything, except for a yellow monitor, and little 8-bit Monokumas that pop in and out. Still have the yellow UI, can still access the menu, just... can't do anything else. WTF is happening?

Just started this out. Game is weird, I noticed characters that look eerily similar to people from the first game but their names are different. Oh well.

antibolo

Banned
Awesome, amazon.ca has still not shipped my pre-order.

Fuck it, if it's still not shipped by Friday, I'll cancel it and buy it on digital. I really want to play it this weekend.

Ventara

Awesome, amazon.ca has still not shipped my pre-order.

Fuck it, if it's still not shipped by Friday, I'll cancel it and buy it on digital. I really want to play it this weekend.

If you want, give them a call and point out that FS/BB have same/next day delivery for their preorders and that you'd like them to match that. People have done this and gotten their shipping upgraded for free. I personally haven't done it since I don't shop at Amazon much.

Gazoinks

I dunno. I don't like Saionji by any means. In fact, she's... kind of crazy (squish squish!), but I don't hate her. I think she's got a... certain quality to her. She's meanspirited and unsympathetic, but she's a little more fun to hate on than, say, Yamada was in DR1.

I think she's got pretty great expressions, too, when she's insulting people.

Also, she reminds of this character called Kigu from Joshiraku.

Yeah, she is definitely a more fun unrepentantly gross person than Hifumi. I think my problem is that so far she's been pretty prominent, so I'm getting a little tired of her not really adding anything except randomly interjecting to say mean things.

And I said I liked her expressions (in a punchable way)! :p

Hey guys, got my game and started playing today! I put together all the present guides into a single image (that I view on my phone), similar to what I did for the first game.

Here's the link, contains present spoilers (obviously):
http://i.imgur.com/LA1PRL1.png

Note that these are sourced from the Japanese translation so the names might not be exact, but the numbers should line up.

Super Dangan Ronpa 2 Present Table !

-X is baaaad
-Triangle is meh
-Filled-in circle is kinda nice
-Outline circle is pretty good
-Yellow double circle is super high-school level good

Source (WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS).

I did not include the final two images from the source since I think they contain spoilers (I didn't even read them myself). The final image apparently contains super major ultra level spoilers so I would avoid that one until you finish the game and want that 100% completion.

Bailing out of this thread until I'm finished the game. Enjoy!

ahdurian

Anyone order the collector's from NISA and haven't received it yet?
It's been saying mine's in Chicago since Monday morning...

antibolo

Banned
If you want, give them a call and point out that FS/BB have same/next day delivery for their preorders and that you'd like them to match that. People have done this and gotten their shipping upgraded for free. I personally haven't done it since I don't shop at Amazon much.

What good would that do? It's stalled at the shipping phase, not delivery. Everything I order from Amazon with free shipping always arrives to me the next day from being shipped anyway.

And the most shitty thing about it is that it does show up as "In Stock"
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00IFF0SIQ/

So what's their fucking excuse for not having shipped it yet?? Hell if I know.

Gazoinks

Ch 2

Oh god layers of games. I swear if this turns out to be a game that the characters from DR1 are playing I'm going to cry.

Ventara

What good would that do? It's stalled at the shipping phase, not delivery. Everything I order from Amazon with free shipping always arrives to me the next day from being shipped anyway.

And the most shitty thing about it is that it does show up as "In Stock"
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00IFF0SIQ/

So what's their fucking excuse for not having shipped it yet?? Hell if I know.

It'll have them ship it out sooner? Thought that part was obvious. It's no secret that Amazon prioritizes shipping out items with Prime. Upgrading shipping will bump you up the priority list and they'll try to get yours out faster.

Anyways, do what you want. Just thought I'd recommend that if you were interested.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh damn, (pre-Daily Life Ch. 2 spoilers)
is that the school from the last game?! But then why is Monokuma confused, thinking it's a myster? Perhaps he's being controlled by a new person who isn't aware?

Got to the start of the Ch4 trial last night.

I already notice the killings have mirrored DR1 to a certain degree, but I'm not sure if the game is purposefully screwing with me in this case, i.e. if it's another suicide or an actual killing.

Only reason I'm kinda iffy is because it was weird how the Ultimate Gamer girl (Chiaki?, can't remember the name ATM) had the player go away from the Final Dead Room.

Steel

Banned
i will not put up with this SLANDER

Hm.... On an unrelated note (CH1 Spoilers)
am I the only one who thought Teru's execution was so over-the-top that it kinda lost all impact? I mean, he gets shot by rockets multiple times, and then dipped in lava, but is still in one piece? Kinda feeling like the executions in DR 1 were a lot better. Of course, considering it was Teru, I suppose I really couldn't have expected the execution to leave an impression. In either case, hope the executions get better, everything else is certainly an improvement.

Zephyx

Hm.... On an unrelated note (CH1 Spoilers)
am I the only one who thought Teru's execution was so over-the-top that it kinda lost all impact? I mean, he gets shot by rockets multiple times, and then dipped in lava, but is still in one piece? Kinda feeling like the executions in DR 1 were a lot better. Of course, considering it was Teru, I suppose I really couldn't have expected the execution to leave an impression. In either case, hope the executions get better, everything else is certainly an improvement.

It was over the top indeed but I personally thought that the rockets were just methods to apply the coating on him.

Chapter 1 execution spoilers

I kinda like Teruteru's execution, if not just due to the fact that he talks up his fancy high-class "chef" cuisine but Monokuma prepares him into tonkatsu, a really run-of-the-mill and not particularly glamorous dish.

esterk

Chapter 1 execution spoilers

I kinda like Teruteru's execution, if not just due to the fact that he talks up his fancy high-class "chef" cuisine but Monokuma prepares him into tonkatsu, a really run-of-the-mill and not particularly glamorous dish.
Haha yeah I loved how the
execution was very reminiscent of the first one in the first game.
Hopefully they don't fall off like they did in that game later.

fates

Anyone order the collector's from NISA and haven't received it yet?
It's been saying mine's in Chicago since Monday morning...

Similar situation here.

I live in Maryland, and mine went from Texas to California. I've received no updates since it got there.

Chapter 1 finished! If the first case is this complicated and twisty, I can only guess how crazy the rest of the cases are going to be.
There are plenty of crazy people in the cast of both the original Danganronpa and this game, but I think Nagito takes the cake. It's all the more chilling because he isn't making dramatic outbursts, he stays calm and collected throughout, but everything he says is so twisted. Great bait-and-switch there, playing off the expectations of the first game.

Moonlight

Banned
Right, so Chapter 1. That was absolutely stellar. I think DR1 was a game that really took its' time to build momentum. It was a bit... methodical, in that way, and as such the way that the first and last cases measured up against each other wasn't much of a comparison. I can't really speak for the last case of this game, or even the second, but DR2 has, in pretty much every respect, felt like... well. Totally crazy. And amazing. But crazy. Although, from henceforth, I shall talk about everything from Chapter 1, so those who haven't finished it should avert their eyes.
I can safely say that I had no idea what I was getting into. I almost thought I was smarter than the case for a scant few moments, before it totally tipped my confidence over its' head. I legitimately thought it was Kazuichi for a while - him talking about the breaker and the clear signs of someone trying to overload it struck me as something that he, mechanically minded as he presumably was, would think of. I was, of course, dead wrong, and continued to be dead wrong, up till the point where I really had to finger someone. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

I'm really bummed that Byakuya's dead, even though I really should have seen it coming - he was a guaranteed victim the moment that he uttered that there would be no victims as long as he was around. But I think, after a whole game of totally hating Byakuya (albeit a shift to grudging respect), it was almost cathartic to see how he'd seemed to grow... both physically and emotionally. Even if it was unclear how much he actually appeared to remember from the first game, even if for whatever reason, he'd forgotten (or that was part of the memories that Monomi may or may not have taken), that there was still an obvious imprint of the impact that the last killing game and the people he endured it with left on him. Despite his clear abrasions, being around him felt a lot more comforting than it did in DR1, which I imagine was the point, but still.

And I really couldn't help but smile, when it came out during the trial that Byakuya died doing his best to fulfill his promise; he died doing something amazing, and definitely something he never would have done in Danganronpa 1. Although, it still stung knowing that Byakuya did practically everything right in that situation to guarantee everyone's safety, and he still died for the trouble. He was a hero till the end, though. ;_;7

Let's talk about Nagito, though. Wow. What a fucking psychopath. I thought he was, y'know, kind of a cool character when I first started playing the game. I already mentioned how you felt like Kyoko, and he felt like your Makoto, the plucky, sincere amateur that doesn't say a lot of new stuff besides platitudes about trust, but occasionally comes up with clever observations. The role reversal struck me a lot, and probably what helped me lower my guard so much about him. I was convinced that he was going to be the most reliable character in the game, and when the other shoe dropped, and he started ranting on about how he wanted to see hope overcome despair, his fixation on seeing who's 'hope' would succeed... well, his claim that he was actually the murderer. That fucked with my head hard.

It fucked with my head hard enough to almost believe that he did do it, and he'd been something like a Sayaka-esque trap (in the plucky assistant with the dark side), only he'd live to see his execution. Because at that point, I couldn't believe how someone could sound like he was sounding and still not be the killer. It was totally crazy. Like, the worst possible inversion of Junko's character - a warped obsession with 'hope' that seemed to contradict the whole principle of it - and this casual attitude and tone to what he was saying, no matter how awful it sounded. But in the back of my mind, I did know that it couldn't have been him. It was too easy, and I'll admit this is where this thread came in because I recalled a lot of people talking the case up, and I didn't think that ending there would be, well, worth the hype.

So, of course, he didn't kill anyone. He'd meant to, which I think is almost as bad, but still. I was kinda lost on who, then, until the news about the Fire Door came out and I realized there was only one possible answer; my favourite male character. :(

I know a lot of people disliked Teruteru, but honestly, I really liked him from the get-go. His perverse nature was, admittedly, a little much at times, but I recall his line about him being the 'pervert that everyone likes' and I found it hard to disagree. His easygoing nature made him fun to be around, and I think a lot of the baggage of his 'pervert archetype' wound up being really offset by his, ah, unbiased approach to it. I think it helps that Todd Haberkorn's performance was totally spectacular, and Teruteru's jaunty carefree spirit translated incredibly well into his voice delivery. Even being the killer, I found it hard to hate Teruteru. I really bought all of his rationalizations - who he'd meant to kill, why he did it, what he'd meant for. I know Monokuma tried to twist it into an inherently selfish and ugly act (and in many ways, yes it was), but I think it was kinda clear how he managed to rationalize it all to himself, and how he'd never meant for any of it to go this far.

And that flashback to him leaving his restaurant and his mom for Hope's Peak. Holy shit, that devastated me. He just loved his mom, guys. He just wanted to see if she was safe. ;_;

His execution is probably the worst one I've... uh, probably ever seen, too. Mondo Butter was pretty bad, but this was a whole new level of terrible. I can't even begin to imagine how terrifying and painful it'd be to die that way. Especially when somehow I let myself believe, at the very beginning, it was going to end with those missiles. Then I was like '...I guess that last missile is about to finish him off?' and then I saw him covered in flour and... augh. Augh. The escalation (and bait and switch inherent to it) really caught me off guard. Why is it that food-based executions are so terrifying.

All this hurts even more knowing that none of it had to happen if Nagito weren't fucking insane, though.

Overall, very tense, totally amazing case on par with the best of DR1 already.

But boy, that was a tough as hell trial. And I don't just mean emotionally. I was like 'alright, this is the first case, and it's gotta teach you, so it won't be that hard' and then it hands you like five truth bullets and wiggles its' eyebrows knowingly. Those memories of just having a single truth bullet to aim at a clearly contradictory statement seem so far away, now. I think I enjoyed the extra stress on my brain, though. DR felt a little too obvious about things at times simply by the nature of the mechanics, so it was nice to jump right into the deep end.

As far as the minigames went, I think, for the most part, I enjoyed them. Pretty much all them felt a little overwhelming at the beginning, particularly the Improved Hangman's Gambit and Rebuttal Battles, but the latter I gelled into really quickly, and even started to really enjoy (Press X To Not Be Wrong is like my favourite QTE sequence ever). IHG was confusing as hell at the beginning, but I got the hang of it somewhat quickly. The second phase would have been easier if I weren't shooting in the dark for the word for the first four letters, and it still takes like fifty thousand years to get the letter you want. Still, I think I'm fine with it now.

I think my biggest dislike as far as minigames go was Panic Talk. Holding down the X button screwed with my rhythm bad, as I've never actually played a rhythm game that functioned like that at all. I wasn't really sure what the hell I was doing for the most part either because when the tempo went up I was just hoping that somehow I was doing it right. Assembling the words at the end was fun, though.

I've started a bit of Chapter 2 now, and I've gotta say, I'm kinda loving a certain character (survivor spoilers for Ch. 2).

few times have i agreed so firmly with a character and especially the way they chose to say it

Gazoinks

Can I just say I love how Hajime's ahoge wiggles whenever he picks the right answer to a question during trials? It's great,

Got an email yesterday telling me that my Limited Edition has been shipped, now I hope it just doesn't take 300 years to arrive in Australia.

Holy moly! :O I just went to my front door only to find that the Limited Edition has arrived! The email I got said it was shipped yesterday but the piece of paper that came with the package says it shipped on August 29th! That’s damn impressive considering it’s gone from America to Australia with apparently the slowest shipping! I was honestly expecting it to take about two weeks to arrive. I’m also glad my case isn’t damaged like some others are - I was getting a bit paranoid. It’s a lot bigger than I thought it would be, and dat front and back art sure is sexy! SQUEEEEE! It's my day off today too! I'm gonna go dive in!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe it's just me but it seems like they took out a hidden trophy in this game when i compare it to the 1 - 2 Reload trophies... What is it?

pariah164

...Wat. (MAJOR chapt. 5 victim spoilers).

YES. Nagito is DEAD. I have never been this happy when playing Danganronpa. I am afraid of who the killer may be though... Please don't be Sonia. DR, pls.

ramyeon

Already stuck on a part of the trial in Chapter 1...

They need to know how the killer got to the storage room in the dark and I need to use one of my truth bullets to agree with one of their suggestions. None of the bullets I have seem relevant in the slightest though? I'm probably overlooking something really obvious.

Edit:
Got it through guessing. Apparently there was something about a light on the Kitchen Equipment List.

Edit 2:
It was the portable stove. Seriously? That's obtuse.

Gazoinks

Chapter 2 End

OvMXETO.png

Ooof course. I pick someone I like and they're the killer. OF COURSE. Really makes my failure to max her Card sting, too. I'm sticking with Chiaki from now on. She seems safe.

This case was an emotional rollercoaster. Being mad at Saoinji, then suspecting Fuyuhiko, then being betrayed by Peko, and then just being sad at the both of them. That ending was heartbreaking. I'm honestly surprised they saved Fuyuhiko. Still really sad though.

Despair!

NO! NO! NO! I can’t believe it. I’ve spent the last hour trying to get my Vita to turn on but nothing is happening!

And before you ask yes I’ve tried charging it. Of all the times for this to happen! MONOKUMAAAAAAAAAA! ;_;

Top Bottom