• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Zephyx

...Wat. (MAJOR chapt. 5 victim spoilers).

YES. Nagito is DEAD. I have never been this happy when playing Danganronpa. I am afraid of who the killer may be though... Please don't be Sonia. DR, pls.

You'll know true despair when this chapter ends. Best chapter in the game.

cheaper 3 spoiler

found the dead
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY IBUKI WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Steel

Banned
NO! NO! NO! I can’t believe it. I’ve spent the last hour trying to get my Vita to turn on but nothing is happening!

And before you ask yes I’ve tried charging it. Of all the times for this to happen! MONOKUMAAAAAAAAAA! ;_;

Hmmm, does the yellow light turn on when it's charging? If it does, then try holding down the power button for 30 seconds. If that brings you to a menu, you're good, if it does nothing: sony support. I could give you some suggestions on taking apart your vita(There's no warranty sticker from what I've seen in mine), it's pretty simple, but I don't know if your problem can be solved that way.

ramyeon

NO! NO! NO! I can’t believe it. I’ve spent the last hour trying to get my Vita to turn on but nothing is happening!

And before you ask yes I’ve tried charging it. Of all the times for this to happen! MONOKUMAAAAAAAAAA! ;_;
Last time this happened to me it was the charger that was broken not the Vita. If you have a 2000 try using another mini USB charger. If you've got a 1000 try and borrow a charger from someone to check.

Zephyx

Well, shit. It's gonna be Sonia, isn't it? All my waifus are either dead or wind up the killer. First Peko, then Ibuki. Goddammit.

My statement may or may not have a clue on who the killer is. :) Just play through it. You'll know soon enough. :D

If the orange light is still flashing while it's charging, you will not be able to turn it on. If it's not charging at all, it's most likely the charger or the charging cord.

Gazoinks

Case 2 + DR1

I also really liked how
they used the serial killer thing as a red herring, which was made more believable by Toko's presence in the last game. Or less believable if you reasoned they were too smart to do it again. :p

Damn it's Thursday 8AM now, and I'm hoping for a call from my store in a few hours telling me to get the game [one day in advance].
Please, store, CALL ME BEFORE I FALL INTO DESPAIR!

yami4ct

Finally finished Chapter 2 tonight (like a lot here it seems, haha). Game is finally kicking into gear the way I'd want from a DR game. First chapter, and a good chunk of the second, actually kind of bored me. No real good establishment of the bigger mysteries at play, a lame and predictable first case (aside from the victim) and a less immediately likable cast for me than DR1. Now the game is starting to get insane in a way I like, both in the individual case sense and larger mystery.

As for the case itself, the big
I'm only a "tool"
twist was both kind of grown inducing for how much of a technicality it was, but also super surprising and really well executed. Actually one of the better individual case twists from either game (so far, of course). I also loved the hinting at the
far greater competitive relationship between Monokuma and Monomi
going on and the reveal of the
Hope's Peak Ruins
. Now I just hope it keeps up the great momentum it has right now.

Gazoinks

Oh yeah, does anyone know of a source for spoiler-free portraits for this game? I'm thinking about making an avatar, but I'm scared of googling or checking the wiki.

Hmmm, does the yellow light turn on when it's charging? If it does, then try holding down the power button for 30 seconds. If that brings you to a menu, you're good, if it does nothing: sony support. I could give you some suggestions on taking apart your vita(There's no warranty sticker from what I've seen in mine), it's pretty simple, but I don't know if your problem can be solved that way.

Last time this happened to me it was the charger that was broken not the Vita. If you have a 2000 try using another mini USB charger. If you've got a 1000 try and borrow a charger from someone to check.

If the orange light is still flashing while it's charging, you will not be able to turn it on. If it's not charging at all, it's most likely the charger or the charging cord.

The yellow light does turn on when I'm charging it, but it still refuses to turn on. This is so unexpected - I've never had any problems with my Vita up until now....

**sigh** I'm gonna go ahead and give Sony a call. Hopefully they can replace it and this whole process won't be to drawn out. I need to play this game ASAP! :(

Zephyx

The yellow light does turn on when I'm charging it, but it still refuses to turn on. This is so unexpected - I've never had any problems with my Vita up until now....

**sigh** I'm gonna go ahead and give Sony a call. Hopefully they can replace it and this whole process won't be to drawn out. I need to play this game ASAP! :(

You should wait until the orange light stops flashing before you attempt to turn it on. I had the same issue before not knowing that you cannot immediately turn on the Vita after plugging the charger when the battery is drained.

yami4ct

You should wait until the orange light stops flashing before you attempt to turn it on. I had the same issue before not knowing that you cannot immediately turn on the Vita after plugging the charger when the battery is drained.

Man, this is one of the most annoying things about the Vita. It seems like a minor quibble, but having a portable device that can't just switch over to AC and turn on almost immediately when fully drained sucks. Sometimes I forget to plug it in after a gaming session or just not use it for a long while and it drains. Anytime that happens means I have to wait like 5-10 minutes before the damn thing will start up. Annoying.

ramyeon

Man, this is one of the most annoying things about the Vita. It seems like a minor quibble, but having a portable device that can't just switch over to AC and turn on almost immediately when fully drained sucks. Sometimes I forget to plug it in after a gaming session or just not use it for a long while and it drains. Anytime that happens means I have to wait like 5-10 minutes before the damn thing will start up. Annoying.
This isn't a problem unique to the Vita though.

I've tired that. The screen just stays black. I really have zero idea what's going on. I'm really careful with my Vita too. I'm on hold with Sony as I type this...I just know that somewhere right now Monokuma is laughing at my despair.

yami4ct

This isn't a problem unique to the Vita though.

Sure, but it definitely seems like it's way worse than some others. It doesn't take that long to get my Macbook or 3DS out of an out-of-battery state, but it sometimes takes close to 10 minutes to get my Vita to turn on. iPhone has similar issues, but definitely not quite as long.

Zephyx

I've tired that. The screen just stays black. I really have zero idea what's going on. I'm really careful with my Vita too. I'm on hold with Sony as I type this...I just know that somewhere right now Monokuma is laughing at my despair.

Well, best of luck mate. :( You can also try to long press the power button (to turn it off if it's not fully "off") and attempt to reboot in recovery mode (“R” + Power + PS Button) and fix things from there. If all else fails, Sony support should be able to help you
I guess?

Just got to the start of the trial in chapter 3 and I literally have no idea what's going on. Each trial in this game so far has had me going in having absolutely no idea who the killer might actually be as opposed to the first game where I pretty much knew for all but one of them.

Really wish I wasn't working longer shifts this week until Saturday, no way I'll be able to do the trial tonight and be able to get up on time for work...

And about the victims this time...
WHY IBUKI?!?!? ;_; This one does a much better job about having the deaths make an impact on you than the first game did as well, although I didn't give a shit about Hiyoko though lol.

ramyeon

Sure, but it definitely seems like it's way worse than some others. It doesn't take that long to get my Macbook or 3DS out of an out-of-battery state, but it sometimes takes close to 10 minutes to get my Vita to turn on. iPhone has similar issues, but definitely not quite as long.
Can't say I've ever had my Vita take longer to turn back on than my iPhone, but I rarely let it drain to empty anyway (And I've got a 2000 if that matters). Never seen it as a huge issue.

I’m sending in my Vita to Sony to get it repaired....

The guy on the phone said it could take 2 months.

ibfUxOMZNyEFYD.gif

ramyeon

ibfUxOMZNyEFYD.gif
How recently did you buy it? Depending on when and where you bought it couldn't you just return it to the store for a replacement? I had to do that a few times with my old 1000 model that I bought from EB, it was covered by them for 12 months.

ibfUxOMZNyEFYD.gif

You could always try a local place to see if they'll get it done faster. Would obviously cost more, especially if it's under warranty, but might be worth it. Don't know how that works in Australia, though.

yami4ct

[IM]http://i.minus.com/ibfUxOMZNyEFYD.gif[/IMG]

God dang. So sorry to hear that. Sony customer support is so weirdly flakey. Sometimes they're decent, other times they're the worse. Honestly, a 2 month repair for such an expensive piece of electronics is bullshit.

Is this one a direct sequel? Forgot to get the first game on sale and if there's no connection story-wise I'll just get this one.

Playing there first game seems super important from what I've heard and can tell from what I've played so far.

Well I feel like shit now. Looks like no Danganronpa 2 for me for a while. I've got the game and no console! I can’t believe the timing, although my Vita has probably been dead for a while now since I haven’t touched it for a few months now.

How recently did you buy it? Depending on when and where you bought it couldn't you just return it to the store for a replacement? I had to do that a few times with my old 1000 model that I bought from EB, it was covered by them for 12 months.

You could always try a local place to see if they'll get it done faster. Would obviously cost more, especially if it's under warranty, but might be worth it. Don't know how that works in Australia, though.

I would take it back to the place I bought it from, but it’s been too long. And I’d rather not take it somewhere local. Bah, I really wanted to play this alongside everyone else, but I guess now I’m just gonna have to block it out and be LTTP! : /

Alfredo

I just finished Chapter 1 just now, so long spoilery impressions for Chapter 1 (and possibly spoilers for later if my speculation turns out to be true, but knowing how this series loves to throw curveballs, probably not):

I freakin' love what they're doing with the characters so far.

I had grown so attached to the original DR cast, that I was unsure of how I would approach this new cast, but it's genius what they've done. They kind of play on your expectations based on the previous cast, particularly with two characters: Byakuya and Nagito.

I freakin' HATED Byakuya in the first game. Even when he had his one redeeming moment, I continued to hate him. What a jerk. Then here in DR2, THIS Byakuya is awesome. Being responsible and acting as a great leader. Also, he's fat, so that's cool? Too bad he had to die so early, but I was kind of expecting it, otherwise the group would be on Easy Mode, having such a great leader.

Now Nagito. I'm sure many of you notice the "Makoto Naegi" anagram within his name, not to mention he looks and sounds similar to Makoto (I'm not going to look up and compare voice actors, as that kinda stuff spoiled parts of the first game for me). All the "hope" talk also has the player draw parallels towards the previous main character of Danganronpa.

However, his turn during the trial, turning him into a psychopath with Junko-levels of obsession for "hope" was brilliant. I'm really hoping that Nagito really is Makoto, and his time in the world after escaping Hope's Peak has morphed him some really horrible ways, breaking down his character and warping him into this monster we see right now. As someone who hated Makoto in the previous game, I'm gonna love him if this turns out to be the case.

The game plays so much on your expectations from the first game, that I can't imagine the experience for someone who hasn't played the original.

Unfortunately, one area the game did not break my expectations in was the gameplay. The trial mini-games are as stupid as ever. It honestly has to be a joke that the new word puzzle game is called "IMPROVED Hang Man's Gambit," because it seems to be way worse than before, and it was already pretty bad. It's funny that "Bullet Time Battle" has been renamed and they acknowledge the dumb name, but it's not funny that it still suuuucks. I really wish they had just stuck to the logic puzzles and left out the arbitrary "action" mini-games.

And one part of first trial that I found really silly was how THE LAMP is how Nagito found his way to the table. I mean, he's standing right in front of the table, a few steps away, and Miharu's diagram makes that very clear. All he would have to do is turn around and walk slowly towards it! I randomly just picked the lamp because I had no idea what else it could've been that lead him to the table.

Well I feel like shit now. Looks like no Danganronpa 2 for me for a while. I've got the game and no console! I can’t believe the timing, although my Vita has probably been dead for a while now since I haven’t touched it for a few months now.

I would take it back to the place I bought it from, but it’s been too long. And I’d rather not take it somewhere local. Bah, I really wanted to play this alongside everyone else, but I guess now I’m just gonna have to block it out and be LTTP! : /

You could also open it up and try to fix it yourself. Could be something simple, and I imagine it's already out of warranty if it's been too long.

MSMrRound

And one part of first trial that I found really silly was how THE LAMP is how Nagito found his way to the table.

It's stated that
He can't possibly see very well in the dark, so little or no chance he was able to walk in the direction. He could however, use the wall to reach the cord, before using the power cord of the lamp to guide himself to where he hid the knife

You could also open it up and try to fix it yourself. Could be something simple, and I imagine it's already out of warranty if it's been too long.

The guy on the phone actually recommended I didn't do that when I asked him since it's out of warranty. If they see it's been tampered with apparently they can refuse to replace it....

As much as I want to play the game (it really hurts) I think I'd rather not risk things and just let Sony handle it all. I guess I'll just go back to playing Okami HD for now while I wait. >_>

Steel

Banned
You look like Milla Jovovich! :eek:!

Is this one a direct sequel? Forgot to get the first game on sale and if there's no connection story-wise I'll just get this one.

Major spoilers in 2 about 1. That being said, if you really wanted to you could probably play it out of order and still enjoy it. I don't suggest it. At all.

The guy on the phone actually recommended I didn't do that when I asked him since it's out of warranty. If they see it's been tampered with apparently they can refuse to replace it....

As much as I want to play the game (it really hurts) I think I'd rather not risk things and just let Sony handle it all. I guess I'll just go back to playing Okami HD for now while I wait. >_>

So you tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds? And the light doesn't flash when it's plugged into the charger? Well, I'm sure the sony rep probably took you through basic fixes. That sucks man.

So you tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds? And the light doesn't flash when it's plugged into the charger? Well, I'm sure the sony rep probably took you through basic fixes. That sucks man.

Yeah, I tried that. The guy on the phone told me the exact same thing. The light does flash when the charger is in, but the screen just stays black no matter how long I hold the power button or leave it to 'charge'.

Steel

Banned
Yeah, I tried that. The guy on the phone told me the exact same thing. The light does flash when the charger is in, but the screen just stays black no matter how long I hold the power button or leave it to 'charge'.

Wait, if the light is flashing no matter how long you have it plugged in(sometimes it takes 30 minutes to stop flashing), it might be a battery problem. The vita will never turn on if the light is constantly flashing. The way it's hooked up though, it's unlikely that it got disconnected. Could just be the battery is screwed, which is also odd.

It's also possible that it's a charger issue. Try connecting the USB part of the vita charger to something else(The base of a cell phone charger, for example) to see if that works(though that's the part that's most likely to get screwed, so you're probably still outta luck).

ramyeon

Having Grass Skirt equipped helps a lot.
Hmm didn't seem to help much. It doesn't help that I don't really know what I'm doing. They just throw you into it with no explanation. I've figured that running around in circles holding square sets off spells like tornados and giant trees. I don't know what affects which spell comes out though.

And the Monobeast for the final wave is just super hard. Way too mobile to run circles around except on the off chance you're in a good position when he falls over after charging or you preemptively set one off in a spot he's about to move to.

MSMrRound

Monomi game is basically like this.

Press Square to draw magic lines.

Complete a circle, and it will set off a magic spell, so your aim is to trap monobeasts inside the circle.

If you draw a big enough circle (and managed to link the circle together), you can cast off a bigger version of the spell.

For armored Monobeasts, the ones that will take a while to bring down, you can press "O" to jump on them, followed by square to do a somewhat mid-air attack, which will strip their armor down and make them easier to take care of.

For every magic circle that you complete, or when you get damaged, you gain some meter towards your "Usami bar". Fill it to 100%, and you will be able to transform Monomi to Usami, which gain stronger magic and at the same time invulnerable against enemy attacks, which makes Usami ideal to use during boss battles.

The better equipment you equip, the stronger your character get, the more your Usami gauge will last as well.

If you want to hunt equipment (there are 60 in total), having the grass skirts help a lot as they boost the chance of present boxes popping up.

Venfayth

At the beginning of chapter 3. I was disappointed with the second class trial.

related
Were there any hints anywhere about Peko's relationship with Fuyuhiko prior to the beginning of the second class trial? I realize that the class trials are not really things that you're supposed to solve beforehand, they're things that unfold in front of you and are more of a method of storytelling than an explanation. With that said, and maybe it was just this instance with Peko and Fuyuhiko, but it came out of fucking nowhere and it just felt weird and contrived. The 'moral dilemma' for Monokuma was interesting for about five seconds, but, yeah.

I would have liked this one more if Peko had worked on her own and had had a selfish reason to want to leave.

Shahadan

Both happy and disappointed about first case. It's a great one but I knew the answer including the wrong lead right at the start.

Also these unnecessary, convoluted, unfun shitty trial minigames can still go fuck themselves.

kewlmyc

At the beginning of chapter 3. I was disappointed with the second class trial.

related
Were there any hints anywhere about Peko's relationship with Fuyuhiko prior to the beginning of the second class trial? I realize that the class trials are not really things that you're supposed to solve beforehand, they're things that unfold in front of you and are more of a method of storytelling than an explanation. With that said, and maybe it was just this instance with Peko and Fuyuhiko, but it came out of fucking nowhere and it just felt weird and contrived. The 'moral dilemma' for Monokuma was interesting for about five seconds, but, yeah.

I would have liked this one more if Peko had worked on her own and had had a selfish reason to want to leave.

Everytime Fuyuhiko wasn't a part of the group and someone needed to inform him of something, then that person would be Peko. Everytime Fuyuhiko would get pissed and start fighting someone, Peko would be the one to call him down. Everytime Fuyuhiko said that he wouldn't be showing up to something, Peko would be the one to inform the group of this. It wasn't spelled out exactly, but it was pretty hinted at that he was softer to her than to others at least.

Venfayth

Everytime Fuyuhiko wasn't a part of the group and someone needed to inform him of something, then that person would be Peko. Everytime Fuyuhiko would get pissed and start fighting someone, Peko would be the one to call him down. Everytime Fuyuhiko said that he wouldn't be showing up to something, Peko would be the one to inform the group of this. It wasn't spelled out exactly, but it was pretty hinted at that he was softer to her than to others at least.

Ahhh, that is true. OK. I feel a bit better about it now.

I got completely side tracked yesterday. Spent the entire time raising pets and playing the monomono machine.

Managed to get all the machine prizes though. This evening I will finish raising different pets, hopefully maxing out my coins in the process, so I can focus on the story after.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Also these unnecessary, convoluted, unfun shitty trial minigames can still go fuck themselves.
"Improved" Hangman's Gambit is easily the worst, especially since you might take damage near the edge of the screen where you either can't see &/or have little control of that section. The original was MUCH more tolerable.

Rebuttal Showdown is a good concept, but could've been explained a lot better, otherwise I didn't mind it once I figured it out. Not great, but I'll take it any day over IHG.

PTA was a weird change, but considering I play rhythm games a lot, the change was easy to adapt to....though I didn't like the "finishing blow" change with how specific it has to be. Maybe a hint as to which word was correct & which was in the wrong location might've helped.

Closing Argument could've been explained a bit better (I thought you had to work on one page at a time w/ the panels you were given), but otherwise, having less panels to select & having actual descriptions of both the panels & blank spaces is a great improvement....though kind of annoying having to go back & forth between the pages instead of just going in order.

I haven't played that "Logic Dive" one yet, but I'm guessing it'll be in Ch. 2's trial. I'll give my impressions once I reach that.

Overall, while I didn't mind most of them (except IHG uuugghhhh), I can see why people don't like them, as it can mess with the flow of the trial compared to just having Hangman's Gambit & Closing Arguments in the original.

LiK

Got stumped in Trial 3 last night. I am seriously perplexed by which Truth Bullet to use. Kept running outta time. Don't wanna ask for a solution yet. Gonna try again tonight.

Wait, if the light is flashing no matter how long you have it plugged in(sometimes it takes 30 minutes to stop flashing), it might be a battery problem. The vita will never turn on if the light is constantly flashing. The way it's hooked up though, it's unlikely that it got disconnected. Could just be the battery is screwed, which is also odd.

It's also possible that it's a charger issue. Try connecting the USB part of the vita charger to something else(The base of a cell phone charger, for example) to see if that works(though that's the part that's most likely to get screwed, so you're probably still outta luck).

Yeah, the light just doesn’t stop flashing. I'd run a few tests, but I've already packed everything away ready to be sent. I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the battery somehow. I mean I don't know what else it could be.

Top Bottom