• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

ramyeon

Chapter 2 trial:
Proving that Hioko went to the beach house and none of the bullets are "Two of us saw you leaving the beach house in tears you goddamn idiot"
They saw her leaving the Beach and near the Diner, but there's a more specific and damning piece of evidence than that.

Glad to see I'm not the only one taken for a ride with the early Chapter 2 Trial part haha.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
UGH, gonna have to do the trial tomorrow. Chapter 2's trial sounds like it's gonna be a hell of a ride.

HAHAHHAHA, OMG
buff Monokuma is hilarious, I so hope he appears again

Steel

Banned
Finished chapter 2. Wow, did not quite go the way I was expecting...

At first, before the trial even started, I was thinking that Ibuki probably did it. Fuyuhiko and Hiyoko were obvious bait, so it couldn't be them. Only once washing up the blood and the death announcement(which I did think at the time, but not in this way) came up did I make the connection that Peko had to be connected, but I thought it was another red herring at first. I knew the "Sparkling Justice" thing would come up, but the emoticons and the way she kept a level tone throughout that embarassing monologue had my jaw on the floor.

I only figured out the whole story once the voting ended and Peko tried to make Fuyuhiko out to be the real killer. It was a bit sad when Fuyuhiko only managed to tell Peko how he felt about her just as she was ready to face her execution stoicly. And then that moment where Fuyuhiko nearly dies... Despair. Side note, this chapter is really making me think that Nagito is the MC from DR1, a lot of what he says is very similar to the type of thing Makoto said during the trials in that game. In either case, his characterization at this point unfortunately puts him in Byakua's role, untrustworthy but invaluable for his deduction skill, although unlike Byakua I actually do hate his guts. Chiyaki seems to be in Kirigiri's role on the other hand.

At this point I think Fuyuhiko is sure to be murdered before he recovers, whether that's in chapter 3(Most likely) or later.

Despair...

Dominator

I constantly come back to this thread and all I see are black bars. The resistance to not click them is so strong. I will be starting this hopefully by Saturday. I can't wait much longer.

Gazoinks

Could someone help me with Case 3? I'm a bit stumped.

I'm at what I think might be the last Non-stop Debate, the part where Nagito brought up the theory that Ibuki was strangled and then hung up, and I don't know what I need to do.

Endesu

Been looking forward to the
Twilight Syndrome sequence
in Chapter 2. It's just now been teased for the first time, and of course
Nanami
knows all about it...

Such a cool way to integrate a reference to one of the company's older series...

CrazyDude

I'm at what I think might be the last Non-stop Debate, the part where Nagito brought up the theory that Ibuki was strangled and then hung up, and I don't know what I need to do.

I think it's rope shot at "someone is lying." I not a 100% sure on the rope part, but I am sure you have to present evidence at someone is lying.

There is a piece of evidence that contradicts the strangle theory (or vice versa). Think about it and review the evidence carefully. I don't remember if you have to shoot the rope at the statement, or the other truth bullet at the rope statement, but think along those lines. If she was strangled, she couldn't have been hanged, right? What evidence initially told you how the person died?

Edit: oops guess I was too late lol

Labrys

I went ahead and added the monokuma doll guide to the OP, could the person who made that nice spoiler free present list link me to it again so I can add it as well?

DaBoss

I'm pretty pissed off about the last Ch 3 Monokuma doll. Location spoiler:
You can only get it during the investigation phase and it was the one in the motel beside the sink. I only saw it once I clicked on the sink, but that was the last interactable thing I had left in the whole investigation, so I got booted out to go to Monokuma Rock.

Moonlight

Banned
Right, so... Chapter 2 is done. That was really good. That was really, really good. I don't think the case was as, ah, intellectually satisfying as Chapter 1's, but I liked a lot of the twists and gimmicks. A lot crazier than Chapter 1, to be sure. I'm a little, uh, sapped right now, so I'm not gonna summarize, like, everything I was feeling during the case but (and I'll spoiler from this point on, DR1 and 2 spoilers for chapter 2 abound)
that was... quite an ending. I knew something was up when Peko claimed she was that famous serial killer, admittedly partly clued in by Sonia's muted reaction, but it just seemed like such a strange direction for the character and they'd already covered that ground in the previous game. Plus, you know something is up when a character is encouraging things be put to vote. And so when everyone started demanding the vote, I was... well, internally cringing. Particularly when Sonia was just about to try and salvage the conversation.

...well, all that aside, that was an amazing ending. I think the main distinction I've found here, between DR1 and DR2, is that there's a much more concerted effort to make the killers out to be much more sympathetic individuals. In truth, there weren't many, if any, murderers in DR1 really worth legitimately understanding. Mondo was probably the most 'human' killer in the game, and even then, it was hard to wrap your head around how easily Chihiro set him off and how severe his reaction was. And, of course, Celeste was just totally monstrous. DR2 has really made a much more concerted effort to get us to understand and sympathize with the murderers, and their intensely personal reasons for going so far as to kill. Even if I didn't find myself quite understanding Peko's apparent lack of self-worth, where she seemed to define herself purely by her value to Fuyuhiko - when the flood-gates broke and Fuyuhiko shouted how he only wanted 'her', I was pretty thunderstruck, especially when the execution began in earnest. The tragedy. :'(

As an aside, I'm never going to get over those amazing emotion faces in the dialogue.

Apparently I wished on some terrible monkey's paw of despair when I said that I wanted it to be Fuyuhiko instead of Sonia, though. That rabbit hole went deep. ;_;

One thing in particular that I noticed was a particular duality between Case 2 of DR2 and Case 2 of DR1. A few things are pretty clear from the get go, what with the mid-trial 'actually a serial killer' reveal, complete with twisted 'alternate' personality, and I think, particularly with Fuyuhiko and Mondo - the former was the 'Ultimate Yakuza' and the latter was 'Ultimate Gang Leader'. I think the common link there is pretty clear, but I kinda liked, too, how it sort of played with those similarities, as well. Fuyuhiko had a younger sister where Mondo had an older brother; both were conducting crimes of passion (driven by the memory of their siblings, albeit in different contexts) - only Peko had beat his instincts to the punch where Mondo had nothing like that. Probably a few more things, but those were the biggest parallels that I noticed.

all this said no one is talking about the greatest tragedy of Chapter 2

we never got to see ibuki's swimsuit

I think the main distinction I've found here, between DR1 and DR2, is that there's a much more concerted effort to make the killers out to be much more sympathetic individuals. In truth, there weren't many, if any, murderers in DR1 really worth legitimately understanding.

A bit OT, but you should read the DR1 manga.
Make's Leon A LOT more sympathetic.

Gazoinks

Ch 3 (also DR1)

These cases are getting crazier and crazier.
I can't say I'm totally surprised Mikan was secretly a loony, but she really went above and beyond. Great acting from the JP VA, too. I felt her execution was a bit underwhelming, though. She just rocketpunched into space. Rip Mikan, providing fanservice to the end.

The case itself really kept me guessing. I knew something was up with the gowns and bags, but I had no idea it was Mikan. At first I thought Ibuki faked her death, or the disease made her reenact the movie including suicide, but neither of those made sense. Then I thought it was Nagito for a while, but that didn't make sense either. They did a good job of making these cases way more twisty than the first game, where you usually knew he did it before going in.

So, non-case stuff. This Despair Disease is intriguing. Nagito calls Mikan Ultimate Despair, does that mean anyone with that title is infected by the disease? Is that why Junko was so crazy?

And let's see, if Monomi is actually a pawn of the Future Foundation... That means they're separate from Monokuma and Ultimate Despair? I suspected there were two parties at work, but why is there more than one evil organization? That's too many!

And now Nekomaru's a robot.

What is even going on.

I don't really like this new PTA thingy. Holding down buttons was a little weird, but I got used to it. What's annoying is the closing statement, because there's sometimes multiple phrases that make sense. This time for instance,
I tried "Bonus Theater Prize" and "Theater Prize Bonus", but no it has to be "Theater Bonus Prize".

CrazyDude

I don't really like this new PTA thingy. Holding down buttons was a little weird, but I got used to it. What's annoying is the closing statement, because there's sometimes multiple phrases that make sense. This time for instance,
I tried "Bonus Theater Prize" and "Theater Prize Bonus", but no it has to be "Theater Bonus Prize".

I wonder if it made more sense in Japanese.

Labrys

I wonder if it made more sense in Japanese.

It was more along the lines of forming a sentence in Japanese, which tends to be a bit more formulaic. Example (spoilers for chapter 1 trial). 骨付き肉 is how it's correctly formed, and to my knowledge it wouldn't be spelled differently.

yami4ct

Chapter 3 Mid-Trial:

Oh boy, this is a tricky one. Might as well throw up some random speculation I'm having for future interest.

Ok, so it seems clear that the video you see right before the morning announcement is an elaborate stunt to put up a false alibi. The curtain that doesn't fit, the bag over the head to hide identity, broken camera right before the actual hanging and lack of blood on the stepladder all point to that. So, who benefits the most from that? The most obvious answer right now would be Mikan. That would mean her stupid "fell asleep on top of you" stunt wasn't a stupid fan service moment, but an elaborate ploy to give her an alibi. She would also have the medical knowledge necessary to warm the room and disguise time of death. This means she does need an accomplice to perform the actual video, though. Obvious answer to that would be Nagito as he seems willing to help murderers do anything.
. Still have no clue why
Hiyoko was killed. Accidentally interfered with Ibuki's killing? That doesn't make much sense as evidence points to her being killed prior to Ibuki. Stumped on this one.

Ok, random thoughts over.

I'm only at the beginning of ch2 but I quite like the english VA. my favourites so far are probably Kuzuryu, Ibuki, Togami, Teruteru, Monomi, Saionji

The only "bad" one would be Tsumiki but really it's the character trope directing more than anything. Nekomaru can be pretty funny at times but I dislike the always yelling dudebro character at times too. Chiaki was a little too quiet for some scenes and especially in the trial her lines just get muffled up by the music.

Labrys

I'm only at the beginning of ch2 but I quite like the english VA. my favourites so far are probably Kuzuryu, Ibuki, Togami, Teruteru, Monomi, Saionji

The only "bad" one would be Tsumiki but really it's the character trope directing more than anything. Nekomaru can be pretty funny at times but I dislike the always yelling dudebro character at times too. Chiaki was a little too quiet for some scenes and especially in the trial her lines just get muffled up by the music.

What i've had to end up doing is turn the music down to 2 clicks and the voices up all the way, that seems to make the more soft voices (chiaki, peko, etc.) less muffled.

Chapter 3:
So now there's a Despair Disease running around making people act crazy.
This is getting really far out there; I'm not even sure how I should take this.

esterk

Chapter 2 trial:
Proving that Hioko went to the beach house and none of the bullets are "Two of us saw you leaving the beach house in tears you goddamn idiot"
Yeah kinda like how
you can't change in the bath house but we had to bring up the kimono thing first.

By the way, I've been playing PTA by timing my button presses. You're supposed to hold it down and release instead???

Started the beginning of the Ch5 investigation.

Welp, things just got real. Doubting it was Sonia since it's way too obvious for a game that purposefully subverts those notions.

Dis trial gunbgud.

Hedgey

I came here to find a solution to Trail 1's Iron Skewer hangman's gambit, then saw a ton of incredibly dangerous spoilers.

Can't wait to get there and discuss some stuff here. In the meantime:
Case 1 Ending:
I feel bad for TeruTeru

ramyeon

Holy shit at the end of Chapter 2.

That was a great trial, some really solid twists and turns and I loved how self referential it was to DR1. The highlight for me was the execution scene though. I've always felt that besides a very few - one of them being Leon's execution in DR1 - most of the execution scenes fall flat in this series because of how over the top they are. This was still over the top, but it had a really important human aspect to it. Peko lived for her Master, to the point that she was willing to sacrifice her own life to ensure his survival, and to forcibly cut down her own master would have been far more horrible for her than death itself. So well done. Monokuma's intent wasn't for him to die as well, but for Peko to believe in her dying moments that she had killed the only person that mattered to her.

I feel the despair.

Mokoi

Banned
Enjoying the game so far, but the camera is shit. Don't remember if it was the same in the first game. Really liking a couple of the new characters. Ibuki is great, and Hajime is ultimate lame ass.

Stuck at what I'm assuming is the last part of the third trial...

Need to find out what proves that Mikan in the one who filmed the video. Options are Blood on the soles, rope used for hanging, Mikan's account, A/C temperature, and surveillance camera unit. I'm thinking Mikan's account but I have no idea what to use it on.

FluxWaveZ

Stuck at what I'm assuming is the last part of the third trial...

Need to find out what proves that Mikan in the one who filmed the video. Options are Blood on the soles, rope used for hanging, Mikan's account, A/C temperature, and surveillance camera unit. I'm thinking Mikan's account but I have no idea what to use it on.

Not straight answer:
It's not part of the initial truth bullets. Record a statement by holding triangle and fire it at another.

Straight answer:
Record Chiaki's last statement saying something like "The killer's mistake" and fire it when Mikan mentions the camera angle, as she shouldn't know anything about that.

Playing on Mean for Logic and I love the times I get stuck. Have powered through those moments myself thus far, and case 3 is definitely when I got stuck the most.

I fast forward it. Don't even care about the letters colliding. Get through it ASAP.

Just finished Chapter 4 and it's my fave so far.

Like seriously I get that they want me to strategically move shit around but COME ON JUST GIVE ME THE FUCKING R.

FluxWaveZ

I fast forward it. Don't even care about the letters colliding. Get through it ASAP.

Huh, I didn't know that was even possible. I'll try it next time it presents itself, as that and the rhythm battle thing (which is even worse and more unresponsive than DR1's?) are definitely the worst parts of the classroom trials.

Really love the new rebuttal system. Adds a great dynamic to the trials, however the "sword battle" they involve isn't the best.

Just got to chapter 4 and I'm not sure which is my favorite. I really liked the first case, which had some of my favorite moments in the game
including Nagito's "breakdown" as well as his "No, that's wrong." rebuttal.

Gazoinks

Huh, I didn't know that was even possible. I'll try it next time it presents itself, as that and the rhythm battle thing (which is even worse and more unresponsive than DR1's?) are definitely the worst parts of the classroom trials.

Really love the new rebuttal system. Adds a great dynamic to the trials, however the "sword battle" they involve isn't the best.

Just got to chapter 4 and I'm not sure which is my favorite. I really liked the first case.

I actually really like the sword battle, now that I know what I'm doing. The first game was kind of missing the feel of a straight head-to-head argument, and this does a good job of it. I like how you have to quickly destroy the text, but also have to pay enough attention to know what it's saying.

petghost

Banned
couple chapters in and im enjoying this game but not quite as much as the first one...not as into the characters and the setting is less interesting/ominous. that said there have been some amazing little things like
game within a game.

i also think the new trial mechanics are pretty whack...not that they were amazing in the first game but the sword one in particular is just kind of tedious. i hope in the future they really perfect the gameplay element of the trials and focus on the logical questions as opposed to kind of silly mini games because everything else about these games is pretty rad.

FluxWaveZ

I like how you have to quickly destroy the text, but also have to pay enough attention to know what it's saying.

That's pretty much what I dislike about it. It's mindless swiping until reaching the point where you have to quickly stumble to select the correct blade for a statement, lest you get pushed back to the previous argument.

So far, I prefer DR1 overall (music, intrigue, novelty...), but the cases and classroom trials have been more engaging in DR2.

bigkrev

I had to try about 10 combinations on te end of PTA in Chapter 3.
Considering how long Chapter 1s took, I think they are my least favorite part of the game. You know the answer, but not what arcane phrasing the game wants you to use

I'm guessing these worked better in Japanese, because otherwise who thought these were good ideas?

yami4ct

Just finished Chapter 3. Hey, looks like I mostly figured it out by the middle of the trial. Kind of hate when that happens, because it isn't very exciting but oh well.

That ending scene, though, Whoa. What the hell? That's insane even for Dangan Ronpa.

Gazoinks

Ch 4

MECHAMARU NO. I WAS YOUR BRO. EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE.

Brought back only to die. Poor Akane.

The deaths in this game are generally hitting me harder than DR1, because I'm finding the cast a lot more evenly likable.

e: Wait what, why am I Nagito now. Not okay with this.

And now it's a point and click room escape.

This chapter is messing with my head.

Just finished the game.. quite a 'trip'

If the first game was a B+, this game is a solid A-. It could be better, and I hope we get the upcoming sequel translated, and the series can ascend to heights it can easily reach.

Top Bottom