• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

OceanBlue

Haha, this one took me a while too.
Though if you talk to Monomi a couple of times Nagito tells her the solution to the step you're on.
Chapter 4 spoilers

I got that pretty quickly, but it took me forever to realize
NEWS indicated directions. That TV threw me off lol. Also I still don't get the lights. Eventually Nagito just told me the answer. :(

LiK

So far the executions haven't been that horrifying to me. The later ones have been pretty tame especially compared to the ones in first game, imo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So far the executions haven't been that horrifying to me. The later ones have been pretty tame especially compared to the ones in first game, imo.
While the 2nd one was more
emotional-based due to the fake-out and what Poko did to Fuyuhiko after the dialogue between them
, I gotta agree that the first one wasn't.
It was rather silly/over-the-top where as in DR1, the first execution felt like it left a bigger impact on the brutality of what'd happened to everyone if they were caught as the killer.
Hopefully they'll improve later on, because so far, the trial mini-games & executions were better/more memorable in DR1.

Welp, finished reading through the Ch. 2 spoiler-hidden impressions. Might start Chapter 3 in a few hours.

DaBoss

Chapter 4 post-trial :(

The sacrifice that must be made. Mechamaru and Gundham... :(

Sucks so much. At least Sonia now knows Kuzuichi is a creep and is stupid.

Just finished the prologue and it's awesome so far. About those monokuma dolls you can find, are they missable or can you get them whenever you want? Also, are they the only way to get monocoins now or do you still get them from inspecting stuff?

pariah164

Just finished the prologue and it's awesome so far. About those monokuma dolls you can find, are they missable or can you get them whenever you want? Also, are they the only way to get monocoins now or do you still get them from inspecting stuff?
You get Monocoins from those, trials, and raising pets. And yes, they are missable. There are 5 per chapter to collect, and some can only be collected at certain times.

Labrys

Some of the dolls are missable, there's a guide for them in the OP.

And, you no longer get coins for inspecting, but you do get level exp from doing that. You get monocoins from finding the dolls, completing trials, the virtual pet and the Magical Girl Miracle Usami mini game.

You get Monocoins from those, trials, and raising pets. And yes, they are missable. There are 5 per chapter to collect, and some can only be collected at certain times.

Some of the dolls are missable, there's a guide for them in the OP.

And, you no longer get coins for inspecting, but you do get level exp from doing that. You get monocoins from finding the dolls, completing trials, the virtual pet and the Magical Girl Miracle Usami mini game.

Thanks! I don't really want to use a guide but I don't want to miss any either... Guess I'll save often and check after each chapter if I missed any before the trial starts.

Also (prologue spoilers)
I didn't expect they'd kill of Monomi so soon. I really liked her, so I hope she still comes back later :p

Moonlight

Banned
Chapter 3 Trial Spoilers:

fuck you mikan. fuck you.

i don't give a SHIT about what you have to say for yourself.

THIS IS MOTHERFUCKING

VENGEANCE

CrazyDude

Ch4 help again

Where the hell is the octagon? I have clicked every thing on that stupid thing and nothing there is an octagon.

Edit: I got it, who would have guessed you have to click that spot.

pariah164

THIS IS MOTHERFUCKING

VENGEANCE
3t63g.gif

Phocks

THIS IS MOTHERFUCKING

VENGEANCE
Her motive was really disappointing. That chapter kinda sucked. Sucks because Mikan was pretty interesting up until that point.

Moonlight

Banned
Chapter 3 END:

the deed is done.

i didn't even get to enjoy her punishment :(

I thought that I was wise to this game's tricks.

i was wrong

nekomaru being rebuilt into a robot is crazy, but I got that spoiled for me randomly on tumblr so sadly not as big an effect as it'd probably have without it

OH ALSO
FUCK MIKAN SO HARD URGGHHHH

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, some of these anime or video game references I'm discovering are both amazing & just obscure.....or amazingly obscure. Like,
during one of Chiaki's daily life scenes, she references Zombie Samurai Nation by mentioning "samurai head" & "Statue of Liberty", then goes to say "Zombie Nation" & even states it was a shooting game, which it is

....HOLY CRAP, not long after the one mentioned above,
Chiaki mentions "Dancing Eyes", an obscure Namco arcade game that was suppose to get a PS3 title years later, but was cancelled
. Can I just congratulate the translator on knowing this stuff? Hell, I wanna know if this was in the original JPN version.

Not sure if I needed to spoiler tag that, but better safe than sorry.

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, calmed down from that chapter. That was crazy, even if I was suspecting the killer from the get-go. Chapter 3 end spoilers ahead.
I totally thought it was Mikan from the very beginning, admittedly not for the right reasons. She was the one closest to the patients, and she had every motivation to kill Saionji, too. My initial theory was totally off the mark, though. I thought Mikan told Ibuki to kill Saionji in the music hall, then told her to lock the door, and hang herself. It didn't really make sense, in the long run, but Ibuki believing whatever she was told just felt like a huge opportunity, and it seems it was just a red herring. Case was nicely done all the same, with some great 'aha' moments - like the reveal that there were two different stages, and I particularly enjoyed catching Mikan's 'camera angle' gaffe. Even if I was guessing it was Mikan the whole time (and this nasty inkling that it could have been Sonia, haha), the case still kept me guessing.

Mikan was a total nutcase, though. Holy shit. I mentioned how DR2 seemed like it was trying to flesh out its' killers and make them more sympathetic, but... fuck, Mikan was just totally bonkers. Nothing about the reasons she killed Ibuki made any sense, and that's just more salt in the wound, urgh. Wonder who her special someone was, though. I was thinking maybe Saionji, but that doesn't explain why she killed her.

Couldn't help but think that OG Monokuma would have never inflicted this 'Despair Disease' on his subjects, though. It strikes me as a very... artificial method of procuring a 'motive'. OG Monokuma would have pushed people's buttons or nudged them over the fine line, but not literally forced them to act out of their natures to get a murder going. Even if Mikan was only revealing her 'true' self, there was no particular agency on her part in getting back into that mindset in the first place. I think OG Monokuma would have wanted people to succumb to despair on their own terms.

I don't think DR1 was ever as relentless as this game, though. God, the way this game has been piling on the pressure and despair on me has been crazy. This is the kind of anxiety I was feeling when I was playing Case 5 of the last game.

But man, Ibuki's death really hit me hard, and I think that, in terms of effect, hers was probably the most brutal one in both games. Ibuki climb up the steps; it was the same kind of building suspense and tension that was in Kyoko and Makoto's (technically) execution - that winding up tension of will-it-or-won't-it, only Ibuki didn't get lucky like Makoto did. :(

Speaking of DR1, noticed some more parallels between Case 3 of that game, and Case 3 of this game. Mikan and Celes aren't really similar characters by any means, but they both kinda slipped in and out of their 'true selves' ; and both their crimes aimed to confuse people over the actual times of death. Plus they were both, y'know, total monsters in the end. Wonder if/how Case 4 is going to continue this trend. If I had to guess, Sakura and Nekomaru (well, now) are more or less considered... uh, invincible by the means of any of the other students, so I'm guessing Nekomaru's gonna die next chapter, and the case is gonna be about figuring out how they did it?

oh i guess we now have a robo justice in this game too :v

Some speculation for y'all, but I think Future Foundation and World Ender being the same thing is only a half-truth. I think there was a schism in the Future Foundation (related to the Hope's Peak incident?), and those who despaired transformed their holdings into the World Ender organization. Despair Disease probably had something to do with the Biggest Most Awful Event In Human History, too.

anyways

i hope with mikan dead

ibuki can rest in peace :(

chapter 5

I FUCKING HATE THIS GAME WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DaBoss

Chapter 5 post-trial..................................................................

All the feels when Nagito died.

All the feels when Chiaki is the killer.

But holy shit is Nagito elaborate with his plans.

Chapter 5 post-trial..................................................................

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Syrinx

So I was finally able to play this game for the first time today, and I just finished the prologue. Wow lol, what an intro. Even I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on at first there.

Anyhoo, based on my experience with Danganronpa, I believee the first to die will be one of the following:

-Nagito, because he was the guy Hajime was connecting with most in the intro, a lot like Sayako in the first one.
-Sonia, because she's the most distinctly waifu character, much like Sayako
-Byakuya, because there's gotta be some reason he is the only recurring character besides Monokuma, and therefore probably very important, and so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the game flipped that shit right on its head and made him bite the dust at the very start. Whoever wants to murder him may have some trouble getting to his vital organs through all that fat, though. He really let himself go.

Can't wait.

HGH

Banned
Mikan was a total nutcase, though. Holy shit. I mentioned how DR2 seemed like it was trying to flesh out its' killers and make them more sympathetic, but... fuck, Mikan was just totally bonkers. Nothing about the reasons she killed Ibuki made any sense, and that's just more salt in the wound, urgh. Wonder who her special someone was, though. I was thinking maybe Saionji, but that doesn't explain why she killed her.

One of
Mikan's favorite presents is a ballgag. It didn't look like it but in the end she was a real junkie for the abuse. You'll get your real answer eventually.

Man, some of these anime or video game references I'm discovering are both amazing & just obscure.....or amazingly obscure. Like,
during one of Chiaki's daily life scenes, she references Zombie Samurai Nation by mentioning "samurai head" & "Statue of Liberty", then goes to say "Zombie Nation" & even states it was a shooting game, which it is

....HOLY CRAP, not long after the one mentioned above,
Chiaki mentions "Dancing Eyes", an obscure Namco arcade game that was suppose to get a PS3 title years later, but was cancelled
. Can I just congratulate the translator on knowing this stuff? Hell, I wanna know if this was in the original JPN version.

Not sure if I needed to spoiler tag that, but better safe than sorry.
They are totally there in the original. Although I believe they might have made reference to the Japanese versions of the same products(they were edited for the US I believe?)

That poison to seal the deal was absurd.

DaBoss

Chapter 5 ending scenes? Chapter 6 beginning scenes spoilers?

What the fuck is happening? Does this mean something is going on with his memories or is it a program or something?

It seems like his memories are malfunctioning and it is replacing people with others who shouldn't be there.

EDIT: Something after Chapter 5 ending scenes
WHAT IN FLYING FUCK WAS THAT? Chapter 0? And I'm starting to have doubts about Nagito.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is it just me, or do the chapters feel much longer this time around, especially to getting around the actual murders? Chapter 3 has felt like it's been going for quite some time.

........OH GOD JUST AS I QUESTIONED WHEN THE NEXT MURDER WAS GONNA HAPPEN....

Moonlight

Banned
Is it just me, or do the chapters feel much longer this time around, especially to getting around the actual murders? Chapter 3 has felt like it's been going for quite some time.

........OH GOD JUST AS I QUESTIONED WHEN THE NEXT MURDER WAS GONNA HAPPEN....
ptmHpe8.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ch. 3 murder spoilers

Ooohhhh nooooo, not Hiyoko. Seriously, this is probably the only murder where I don't feel any sort of remorse over the character. Though I wonder, will they do the suicide thing again like last time?

todd360

Alright, calmed down from that chapter. That was crazy, even if I was suspecting the killer from the get-go. Chapter 3 end spoilers ahead.
I totally thought it was Mikan from the very beginning, admittedly not for the right reasons. She was the one closest to the patients, and she had every motivation to kill Saionji, too. My initial theory was totally off the mark, though. I thought Mikan told Ibuki to kill Saionji in the music hall, then told her to lock the door, and hang herself. It didn't really make sense, in the long run, but Ibuki believing whatever she was told just felt like a huge opportunity, and it seems it was just a red herring. Case was nicely done all the same, with some great 'aha' moments - like the reveal that there were two different stages, and I particularly enjoyed catching Mikan's 'camera angle' gaffe. Even if I was guessing it was Mikan the whole time (and this nasty inkling that it could have been Sonia, haha), the case still kept me guessing.

Couldn't help but think that OG Monokuma would have never inflicted this 'Despair Disease' on his subjects, though. It strikes me as a very... artificial method of procuring a 'motive'. OG Monokuma would have pushed people's buttons or nudged them over the fine line, but not literally forced them to act out of their natures to get a murder going. Even if Mikan was only revealing her 'true' self, there was no particular agency on her part in getting back into that mindset in the first place. I think OG Monokuma would have wanted people to succumb to despair on their own terms.

I don't think DR1 was ever as relentless as this game, though. God, the way this game has been piling on the pressure and despair on me has been crazy. This is the kind of anxiety I was feeling when I was playing Case 5 of the last game.

But man, Ibuki's death really hit me hard, and I think that, in terms of effect, hers was probably the most brutal one in both games. Ibuki climb up the steps; it was the same kind of building suspense and tension that was in Kyoko and Makoto's (technically) execution - that winding up tension of will-it-or-won't-it, only Ibuki didn't get lucky like Makoto did. :(

Speaking of DR1, noticed some more parallels between Case 3 of that game, and Case 3 of this game. Mikan and Celes aren't really similar characters by any means, but they both kinda slipped in and out of their 'true selves' ; and both their crimes aimed to confuse people over the actual times of death. Plus they were both, y'know, total monsters in the end. Wonder if/how Case 4 is going to continue this trend. If I had to guess, Sakura and Nekomaru (well, now) are more or less considered... uh, invincible by the means of any of the other students, so I'm guessing Nekomaru's gonna die next chapter, and the case is gonna be about figuring out how they did it?

oh i guess we now have a robo justice in this game too :v

Some speculation for y'all, but I think Future Foundation and World Ender being the same thing is only a half-truth. I think there was a schism in the Future Foundation (related to the Hope's Peak incident?), and those who despaired transformed their holdings into the World Ender organization. Despair Disease probably had something to do with the Biggest Most Awful Event In Human History, too.

anyways

i hope with mikan dead

ibuki can rest in peace :(

I liked your impressions.
The DD being the thing that helped cause the awful event is some good speculation as well. I was thinking that it had to be some kind of monokuma trick though because it seems like he could just cure it or turn it off. Maybe it is a real disease. I guess we will find out later. I got to start exploring the new island tonight.

Top Bottom