• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Snowballo

A little bit OT but...
I've both Virtue's Last Reward and Danganronpa (the first one).
I've tried them both in different periods.
Which one should I try to beat first? Which one is better?

ss-hikaru

A little bit OT but...

I haven't played VLR (although I did kinda watch my bf play it) but I think if you just want to know the story Danganronpa is the shorter one. So play that one first?

I don't like puzzle solving so I didn't play VLR but the story is pretty intricate, moreso than DR. Very interesting though, I was pretty hooked towards the end...

SUPPORT MY CAREER

ACTUALLY MY CAREER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW WELL THIS GAME SELLS

SUPPORT NISA

WOOOOOOOOOOO DR2
Of course it does! If Danganronpa 2 sells 5 million copies DR3 has better chances of localozation and you can return as Togami again :D.

...right? ;-;

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Trial complete. Everything about the second half was so fucking cruel and it all culminated in an even greater display of cruelty with the execution. Fuck Monokuma and fuck Nagito :(

Imagine how I felt, considering
Nagito and Chiaki were my two favourite characters in the game.
. I've finished the game yesterday and had loads of fun, sadly (not really spoiling any plotpoints, just an opinion, but an opinion on the end of the game)
I think the final episode dragged on too much and the final conclusion was severely lacking in logic. Forcing a happy end like this is really strange.
Though this might have been because it started off of the incredible fifth case.

Yoshi

A little bit OT but...

Imo: Storywise: VLR > DR2 > DR 1, each with a sizable gap. Gameplay wise they are quite different, but I like DR2 the most in that regard. However, since they are visual novels, I'd still tend to VLR overall over DR2 and to play DR2, you need to play DR1 beforehand anyway (you can understand DR2 without it, but you will destroy DR1 by playing DR2).

Verelios

I forgot this was coming out!

Like a certain nobuo I goofed! If a cat came from the future, does that mean I can go back in time to before I forgot the date. Perhaps I can also stop wars! But I wont.

Pupupupupu

oggob

Can't wait for this, poking my head in to say Hi!!!

Then Despair hits... Having to wait the extra week for the release here in Australia! :(

A little bit OT but...

999 >>>>> Virtue’s Last Reward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Danganronpa.

999 = 10/10. Virtue’s Last Reward = 9.5/10. Danganronpa = 8.0/10.

I was goingo have Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth 1 fast-shipped from Play-Asia because I wanted a new Vita game, but then I realised that this releases really soon and I have it on pre-order.

Cannot wait. But I'm gonna stay out of threads (other than this one) because I want to go in as blind as possible. I loved the first one from knowing so little about it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
A little bit OT but...

I haven't played 999 but i don't see the supposed huge superiority of VLR compared to Danganronpa that some people say, especially if we count that Danganronpa come out first and that VLR seems to have borrowed a certain number of things from it, even big(obviously Danganronpa also borrowed things by 999 though).

They are both great games and you should play both of them together or in the real chronological order(Danganronpa first and then VLR).

Wow i didn't know that the game also includes Danganronpa IF and the Monomi minigame.

Wait, as in DR2 is bundled with DR If?
Cool if true...

I haven't played 999 but i don't see the supposed huge superiority of VLR compared to Danganronpa that some people say, especially if we count that Danganronpa come out first and that VLR seems to have borrowed a certain number of things from it, even big.

They are both great games and you should play both of them together or in the real chronological order(Danganronpa first and then VLR).

Also about the plot thing, VLR is actually borrowing a whole lot of plot points from the author's older works, especially Ever17.

Yoshi

Cool if true...
Yes,
you unlock it upon completion
I haven't played 999 but i don't see the supposed huge superiority of VLR compared to Danganronpa that some people say, especially if we count that Danganronpa come out first and that VLR seems to have borrowed a certain number of things from it, even big(obviously Danganronpa also borrowed things by 999 though).
What did VLR borrow from DR? I can't see anything that's in DR and VLR, but not in 999.

which websites give a free artbook with pre-order?

EB in Australia. I've got it pre-ordered and ready to go!

BdfG3nR.jpg

It's time to rank! I did it in the OT for the first game about a week before release, and I'm gonna do it again!

As someone who knows pretty much zero about the plot/characters, here are my thoughts/predictions:

Characters I don’t think I’ll like:

1HG16s2.png

GGtFhTR.png

cpeA4ae.png

4pTDpWP.png

Characters I think I’ll really like:

KBLg6Nq.png

7La39Z7.png

wpgdzHG.png

dMDl2ME.png

NP1zSnV.png

Characters I am suspicious of:

88tJke8.png

KBLg6Nq.png

1HG16s2.png

sil1cUy.png

27XcOUG.png

It’s Hifumi, the gopher!

cpeA4ae.png

My new prime suspect:

NP1zSnV.png

Characters I don’t think I’ll like:

ullGuIt.png

fJJTxOQ.png

D3TL6TC.png

Czd07ha.png

Characters I think I’ll really like:

ftBfv9T.png

UOzvaXA.png

qjmIy6E.png

bymvENp.png

iWkxEYq.png

KS4yBpY.png

Characters I am suspicious of:

JmKO9oZ.png

ftBfv9T.png

fJJTxOQ.png

dEh2wr7.png

lvwYuUh.png

Just like last time I know pretty much zip about these characters - though it still seems like a better cast! :D

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cool if true...

Also about the plot thing, VLR is actually borrowing a whole lot of plot points from the author's older works, especially Ever17.

Yes,
you unlock it upon completion

What did VLR borrow from DR? I can't see anything that's in DR and VLR, but not in 999.

What about
the whole "people closed in a structure trying to escape from it without knowing that the structure is protecting them from an apocalypse"(whoever wrote this Danganronpa was the first to use it)? Or the mysterious amnesiac silent smart white haired assistant of the player(the most important character of the game if we exclude the main character that's a little more than an avatar)? Or the Schrodinger's cat and prisoner's dilemma references and other things that now i don't remember?

Certinty

A little bit OT but...
I think it's really just up to you. Problem is no matter which one you complete first there are certain parts in the other which will be spoilt for you given how a few things in both games are similar.

Cha

Still a few weeks away for me (importing a physical copy). I really should stay away from anything DR2 related. I remember the first OT having unintentional posts (including fanart and pics of figurines) which would have been overlooked, until people actually pointed out that these posts were spoiler. Gonna have to tread very carefully in this thread. Looking forward to more upupupu.

EDIT:^Toukocuteness! Too bad there's no Hina.

Awesome! I'll get from Amazon Uk then, is the shipment(to Italy) expensive?

No, not really.
I'm paying £34.15 (€42.90) including shipping costs, Italian retailers are pre-ordering it for €40.98 without the art-book and reporting "expected release date: September 18".
If I hadn't had any choice, I would've bought it digital or waited a couple of months.

What about
the whole "people closed in a structure trying to escape from it without knowing that the structure is protecting them from an apocalypse"(whoever wrote this Danganronpa was the first to use it)? Or the mysterious amnesiac silent smart white haired assistant of the player(the most important character of the game if we exclude the main character that's a little more than an avatar)? Or the Schrodinger's cat and prisoner's dilemma references and other things that now i don't remember?

I'll be honest with you, most of those are anime tropes. Especially with sci-fi. The guy who wrote VLR, Kotaro Uchikoshi, seems to like the whole "trapped in a place that isn't quite what it seems." He's been doing it for well over a decade. This is because he is a fan of the game Kamaitachi no Yoru, which was recently localized as Banshee's Last Cry, and that came out in 1994.

As with most works of fiction, nobody is really ripping each other off. They are just drawing form similar inspirations.

Edit: Uchikoshi also worked on Pepsiman, so there is no God.

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member
The limited edition seems to still be available at NISA's EU store. Debating whether to get the LE or just pre-order from Amazon, since the artbook is included...

I'll be honest with you, most of those are anime tropes. Especially with sci-fi. The guy who wrote VLR, Kotaro Uchikoshi, seems to like the whole "trapped in a place that isn't quite what it seems." He's been doing it for well over a decade. This is because he is a fan of the game Kamaitachi no Yoru, which was recently localized as Banshee's Last Cry, and that came out in 1994.

As with most works of fiction, nobody is really ripping each other off. They are just drawing form similar inspirations.

Uchikoshi is guilty of recycling his own works more than anything else. VLR would have been far more interesting if he hadn't borrowed so heavily, much of it really felt uninspired.

No, not really.
I'm paying £34.15 (€42.90) including shipping costs, Italian retailers are pre-ordering it for €40.98 without the art-book and reporting "expected release date: September 18".
If I hadn't had any choice, I would've bought it digital or waited a couple of months.
Italian here too; was writing the same thing but you beat me :D
I'll most likely order it form there too, considering the small difference in price and the artbook, which is the only thing that seemed interesting in the LE.

Also, how can GameStop write 18th September when we already have an official release date? I'm alqays amazed by that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The game is apparently now out in my country and in English.

Zephyx

In line with those who are choosing their favorite characters, I'll choose mine:

Like:
fJJTxOQ.png

ftBfv9T.png

8u0iEdm.png

bymvENp.png

EZB18Qm.png

Suspicious:
JmKO9oZ.png

qjmIy6E.png

UOzvaXA.png

D3TL6TC.png

dEh2wr7.png

lvwYuUh.png

Hate:
KS4yBpY.png

As for the mastermind, I don't have any clue but my personal guess is it's either of these three:
UOzvaXA.png

lvwYuUh.png

EZB18Qm.png

I don't have any impressions with the other characters at the moment but that may change while I'm playing the game. With all that said, I'm very excited! This one week wait is just unbearable. :'( Scratch that. It's already available on my local game store. I'll get it tomorrow then!

Question about the OT: Is it safe to read the reviews? Might want to check 1 or 2 for impressions. :)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
No, not really.

Anime tropes in similar environment and similar roles...
Anime tropes are everywhere, but used differently.
Not acknowledging the similarities means being pander to VLR to affirm its superiority and originality at all costs imo.

Anime tropes in similar environment and similar roles...
Anime tropes are everywhere, but used differently.
Not acknowledging the similarities means being pander to VLR to affirm its superiority and originality at all costs imo.

Not quite the point I was trying to make.
More that neither VLR or DR are taking from each other, they're pulling from similar sources.

Also I never said I thought VLR was better. Honestly, it's the weakest game Uchikoshi has worked on that I've played. I enjoyed it about as much as DR1.

Fuck yes! Was waiting for this thread OP!

Outside of characters from the first page I am bliiiind to what's happening in this game.

Takes place in future? Past? Alternate? Will they talk about what happened?

I DUNNO AND IM READY TO FIND OUT!!!

AHHH!!! YESSSSS.
LOVED PART 1.

I also loved the little short story written about Makoto Naegis worst day ever before getting accepted into Hopes Peak academy. Totally see why he's the Ultimate Unlucky Student loll

Its a good fun read if anyone wants to check it out (or haven't already done so. You guys are too cool to miss this one )

http://marchen-v-friedhof.tumblr.com/post/62229920031/summary-of-dangan-ronpa-dvd-blu-ray-vol-1-novel-the

The game is apparently now out in my country and in English.

You're beary lucky ;)

Italian here too; was writing the same thing but you beat me :D
I'll most likely order it form there too, considering the small difference in price and the artbook, which is the only thing that seemed interesting in the LE.

Also, how can GameStop write 18th September when we already have an official release date? I'm always amazed by that.

Nah, I'm never amazed by GameStop and their silliness, but it could very well be the official release date in Italy for the retail version.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Just got the game today as well. That makes it the second game i get for the Vita this year.

Now to find time to play it between Tales of Xillia 2 and Diablo 3.

Necrovex

Going to pick this up before my flight to Chicago in two weeks. Excited to play the next chapter in Dang It Ron Paul!

Tricky, your post makes me lust for a Zero Escape 3. :-(

bigkrev

This is a dumb question that I will probably know the answer to as soon as I start the game and hear the voice... but what gender is Teruteru Hanamora? I legit can't tell by either name or look!

I don't know if I can wait actually...

IF anyone is based in NYC, do you know of any shops that are selling the game now?

I can just pre-order from Amazon, but goddammit....my hype level is on some Destiny type shit right now.

I'm flipping out.

Thanks!

ys45

Damn forgot this was coming out .
I got the collector pre-ordered but need to finish Tales of Xillia 2 first.

So much games coming out in september -_-

Dmented

Banned
Well VLR is on Vita so now you have 2 reasons to get one :D

Man, can't decide between eng and jpn voices. I liked them both in the first game.

I actually didn't know that, hmm... While only 2 games won't be enough for me to buy a system, it absolutely does help though. I'll have to consider it at some point.

I am beyond hyped for this game. I hate that I'm able to keep track of dates so that I actually remember it's coming out next week; I would have rather gone on in blissful ignorance instead of having this anxiety for an entire week.

In any case, I've been keeping my game load light. I haven't started Disgaea 4 yet, and I'm just juggling Xillia 2 and Pokemon X/Y in anticipation that this will eat up a buttload of my time.

lvwYuUh.png

Also, knowing what I know about the first game and nothing about the second game, this guy is suspect as fuck.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
This is a dumb question that I will probably know the answer to as soon as I start the game and hear the voice... but what gender is Teruteru Hanamora? I legit can't tell by either name or look!

Teruteru is a guy.

Top Bottom