• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Post-Chapter 2 spoilers:

I'm kind of torn about the 'twist' in this trial.

On the one hand, there's basically no way to structure this twist in a way that gets the player to buy into it. I mean, it's only Chapter 2, I know my character isn't going to die, so when Peko tries to sell the idea that she's just a tool, not the actual murderer, and that we therefore got the vote wrong and her master will get off the hook - there's no way I'm going to believe that because I know the game isn't going to end so soon. If I make an effort to assume the mindset of the main character, I can at least imagine what this would feel like for everyone else in the room, but I think this particular type of twist would work much better in, say, a Chapter 4 or 5, where the player is at least forced to entertain the idea that most of the cast may be killed off all at once.

On the other hand, the execution twist... god DAMN. In the span of about two minutes, I went from hating Fuyuhiko, to feeling sorry for him as he reveals his true feelings, to the shock of seeing him in the execution sequence, to being sure he was dead, to relief as Monomi/Usami uses the rulebook to force Monokuma to (PUHUHUHU) save Fuyuhiko's life.

To be honest, as crazy as Chapter 1 was, I was still feeling a bit of Danganronpa fatigue early in Chapter 2, probably because I played DR1 right before starting DR2. There's a limit to how much consecutive despair I can handle. But after Chapter 2, I'm all in.

Okay so I doubt I will get a Vita anytime soon and I'm 98.8% I will be spoiled of the game somehow before playing it, so I'll be watching a Let's Play from a guy named NicoB on YouTube. But before watching his first part, predictions on who are gonna be the last standing:

1-Hinata
2-Komaeda
3-Togami
4-Mikan
5-Gundham
6-Nanami

Aaaand the ones I like most just by looking at their design and "Ultimate..." are Hinata, Sonia, Ibuki, Nanami, Fuyuhiko, Gundham, Togami and Komaeda.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm rather annoyed at the puzzle logic of late in the Chapter 3 trial.

Mikan: How would you be able to determine body type with that camera angle

Hajime: I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT A CAMERA ANGLE!

Seriously what? It's not like it's a crazy camera angle, just an average center front angle. And the broken camera was positioned right where the angle should have been. Maybe it's enough for some doubts, but they were asking for absolute proof.

I don't know if I should be aggravated at myself for wasting a lot of time because I was dumb and missed something or at the game for not making enough sense, but either way, ARGH!

EDIT: Furthermore
why was Hajime the only one that could solve this? No one else was able to tell that we haven't talked about the camera angle before? Saying Hajime was the only one to solve it implies you have to have seen the video to know the answer, but the "i didn't mention any camera angle" evidence doesn't require any viewing of the video whatsoever to be called out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god, I so want to do the investigation, but I've got class tomorrow morning. Just...damn. I can't imagine who it was that did it......
Please don't be Chiaki, she's survived so long....

Chapter 5's trial is going to be insane, I just know it.

Yeah...
Shit broke my mind for a bit. Especially when I realized where things were going mid-trial.

I thought I knew where it was all going until they threw bucket of ice water on me. What a chapter the fifth one was...

Chiaki was my favorite girl... I knew it was going to going to happen. You just can't attach yourself to anyone in this series.

Necrovex

End of Chapter One Spoilers:

Nagito must have gotten fucked hard after the event of Danganronpa 1. I really want to see what happened between him and Kyoko, and how he got such a warped viewpoint of 'hope.'

Digging the hell out of the game so far. Excited to see more, and I hope even more insanity appears!

End of Chapter One Spoilers:

Nagito must have gotten fucked hard after the event of Danganronpa 1. I really want to see what happened between him and Kyoko, and how he got such a warped viewpoint of 'hope.'

Digging the hell out of the game so far. Excited to see more, and I hope even more insanity appears!

You are thinking of Makoto from Danganronpa 1 I think. Not sure, they could be the same guy though as this game is crazy.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Chapter 4 End:
I think the ending of this chapter is my favorite one yet from either game. Gundham was my favorite character, and he could not have been sent off in a better way. Taking one for the team (with Nekomaru) with his unwavering demon shtick. Damn.

Damaniel

Banned
Just beat the game (end game spoilers ahead)...

They give us a whole extra game mode too? How dare they, with Destiny and Phoenix Wright vs Layton to work on, not to mention my season character in Diablo 3...

(seriously though - is there any bonus to completing the extra mode? I'll probably work on it anyway...)

sub_o

Okay so I doubt I will get a Vita anytime soon and I'm 98.8% I will be spoiled of the game somehow before playing it, so I'll be watching a Let's Play from a guy named NicoB on YouTube. But before watching his first part, predictions on who are gonna be the last standing:

1-Hinata
2-Komaeda
3-Togami
4-Mikan
5-Gundham
6-Nanami

Aaaand the ones I like most just by looking at their design and "Ultimate..." are Hinata, Sonia, Ibuki, Nanami, Fuyuhiko, Gundham, Togami and Komaeda.

Better get a vita, or I could spoil it for you. The fun part is investigating and solving crime, the overarching plot is just an extra (it's good, just that I enjoy more the investigations and trials).

Moonlight

Banned

They give us a whole extra game mode too? How dare they, with Destiny and Phoenix Wright vs Layton to work on, not to mention my season character in Diablo 3...

(seriously though - is there any bonus to completing the extra mode? I'll probably work on it anyway...)
Island Mode is an alternate reality where Usami and the Hope Restoration Project goes as planned, so Monokuma is beaten up. It's an opportunity for you to finish all of your report cards, and each character has an 'island mode ending' that you can obtain by finishing their report card and taking them on different 'trips' on the island (which use cards you obtain by building things Usami tells you to make) and answering questions with them. There's trophies related to it, too, if you care about that. If you've washed your hands of the characters and all of that stuff, though, then there's probably nothing it can offer you.

It's sort of a de-stress thing after all the despair of the main content.

Vylash

just read the IF novel

Errh...yeah.

Just reached Chapter 5. Lucky for me the people getting bumped off have been the ones I've spent the least amount of time with.

MAJOR SPOILERS

MAJOR SPOILERS
'Cept for Hiyoko and Mikan of course. =/

MAJOR SPOILERS

MAJOR SPOILERS

Anyway guess I'll rate the minigames.

(from worst to best*)
WORST
Swords - Lots of screen swiping, it's easy to accidentally swipe the contradictions, choosing evidence swords is a fumbling experience.
Hangman's Gambit - Can get really cluttered, slow, once you know the solution it's just killing time until the right letters show up.
Logic Drive - Ehh? Okay I get what they were going for but..ehmm...I don't like it.
Rhythm-action - Once I got the system down it hasn't been difficult, just...not really interesting.
Bullets - It's basically the parts I enjoy most about Ace Attorney's game-play, but with some nuisance stuff.
BEST

*worst and best are used in relative terms. I wouldn't classify the mini-games as great or anything. They're compelling in their own way, but in terms of game-design they're lacking.

MSMrRound

well if it's true that they are the same then i'm gonna be totally upset because that's like endgame spoilers not end of chapter one spoilers.

Play on. DR2 will explain itself.

Btw, what they meant is that they might or might not be related. Don't go tearing your hair out now.

Is he, or is he not? That's for you to figure out yourself. Labrys and the other guy in no say if that's a definitive answer or not. They are just showing you an idea of how the two might be related.

Also, try to avoid asking these kind of questions then. I mean...you are asking if they are related, and when others answer them, you still choose to highlight the answers, knowing it might potentially (in your perspective of course), to be late game spoilers?

Question about report cards (slight spoilers so warning)

why cant i finish Byakuya's and Fuyuhiko's? I'm at 5 on Fuyuhiko's and he's all "Don't feel Good"

MSMrRound

Question about report cards (slight spoilers so warning)

why cant i finish Byakuya's and Fuyuhiko's? I'm at 5 on Fuyuhiko's and he's all "Don't feel Good"

Obviously it's tied in to the plot and you are not at the stage where they feel like they are ready to reveal the information to you yet. Play on.

Play on. DR2 will explain itself.

Btw, what they meant is that they might or might not be related. Don't go tearing your hair out now.

Is he, or is he not? That's for you to figure out yourself. Labrys and the other guy in no say if that's a definitive answer or not. They are just showing you an idea of how the two might be related.

Also, try to avoid asking these kind of questions then. I mean...you are asking if they are related, and when others answer them, you still choose to highlight the answers, knowing it might potentially (in your perspective of course), to be late game spoilers?

i never asked once if they were related. whatever, though. what's done is done.

playing this game makes me appreciate how fast the skip is in the zero escape games

Mendrox

Are they trolling with the "improved" Hangman Gambit? This is utterly shit at first and even the explaination sucks (like they say too).

Case 1 was nice, but nothing... exceptional? Gameplay was crazy yes, but I guess they did that for DR veterans. :)

Although I keep saying this might be my GOTY, I too wish they didn't mess around so much with the mini games. The story is phenomenal, that part is a lot better than DR1. The twists, backstabbing, the mystery, the whole feel of the game is much better. Now the mini games... Hangman's gambit is a good example of what they screwed up on. Well, if anything they'll apply what they learned with this one to DR3.

As an aside, didn't the scenario writer say in an interview (with Siliconera I believe) that Another Episode was the best work he's written? If that is so, I cannot wait to try that out.

Are you serious? It takes me like... 4 hours to beat one chapter alone. You good sir are indeed nuts.
I understand, and wish I could do the same :'(

I played around 15-20 hours straight with small breaks in between, it was my free day and I wanted to finish it because I'm going to be really busy all week.

Top Bottom