• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Except Mahiru. If they removed her from the game, I probably wouldn't notice.

I have to say the one I would be the happiest to see absent would be Mikan. I hate characters that get flustered every time someone says as much as their name (see: One Week Friends). Chp 3 -->
I also didn't really "get" her breakdown. Maybe it's explained later? I'm pretty late in the game though, midway through cp 6

One of the things I love most about this game is all of the references that they unashamedly throw in there!

This one being one of my personal favourites.

I made a list of every JoJo reference in the spoiler thread if you wanna see it. I also really enjoyed Kaz saying "Just who the hell do you think I am?" Voice actors jokes are always welcome.

A week late but it's here. Probably won't play through it until next month though because Destiny, Theaterhythm, Hyrule Warriors, P4 Ultimax etc etc mainly cause I technically finished it a year ago.

Something important that was probably mentioned that I just remembered. For some certain 'fan-service scenes' you need to have certain items in your inventory at certain parts of the game from the item machine.... Thing (forgot what it was called). I remember there being two of them, but people probably found about them already

I made a list of every JoJo reference in the spoiler thread if you wanna see it. I also really enjoyed Kaz saying "Just who the hell do you think I am?" Voice actors jokes are always welcome.
It's amazing how anyone that is anyone in the VA business in Japan is part of this game. Just to put things into perspective, although I'm not a big fan of the source of this article, Kotaku's "Danganronpa 2’s Japanese Cast is an Anime Fan's Dream"
shows just how high they aimed for with the voice acting talent.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's amazing how anyone that is anyone in the VA business in Japan is part of this game. Just to put things into perspective, although I'm not a big fan of the source of this article, Kotaku's "Danganronpa 2’s Japanese Cast is an Anime Fan's Dream"
DAMN, that's some cast they got. Maybe one of these days, I'll replay some of the trials with the JPN voices.

I still enjoy the fact that Doraemon & Monokuma have the same VA.

The seiyuu line up for both Danganronpa games is so good I think they're almost running out of famous seiyuu to use. That and they're making them do roles that are either very similar or opposite to what they normally do.

For example, Hikasa Yoko normally voices emotional characters like Houki in Infinite Stratos, or Emi in Hataraku Maou-sama, and in Danganronpa she voices the seemingly cold kuudere Kirigiri. Same could be said about Kobayashi Yuu who voices the normal looking and behaving Mahiru, and she's known for being weird and voicing weird characters like Ayame in Gintama

Makes me wonder if we'll see more newer seiyuu for the next Danganronpa game. Like Uchida Maaya, Taneda Risa, and Amamiya Sora (she has 3 big roles this season as well). Actually... They still have a lot to work with now that I think about it

LX_Theo

Banned
EDIT: My sincere apologies to anyone who got spoiled by me mixing up which thread I was posting in. Need to be much more careful posting off my phone from now on.

OceanBlue

And this is why I rarely stepped into the OT before completing the game.

Lol, same. Even tagged or presumptuously innocent responses are too revealing sometimes. Well, with a game like this it's definitely difficult to avoid accidents during discussions. I feel for people who are trying to stay pure while participating in this thread.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lol, same. Even tagged responses are too straightforward sometimes. Well, with a game like this it's definitely difficult to avoid accidents during discussions. I feel for people who are trying to stay pure while participating in this thread.

Yeah, often people don't realize how much is given away with spoilered text. Or even how much a reaction or tone gives things away. It's not worth the headache.

Ironically, I was spoiled by something in DR2 by someone who was trying to prevent spoilers from being posted.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
And this is why I rarely stepped into the OT before completing the game.

I barely glanced at it, but even so someone's not so vague exclamation of dislike for a character spoiled one of the chapters for me.

Labrys

guys please realize when you're posting in the spoiler thread compared to the regular OT, and vice versa, please and thank you

OceanBlue

Yeah, often people don't realize how much is given away with spoilered text. Or even how much a reaction or tone gives things away. It's not worth the headache.

Ironically, I was spoiled by something in DR2 by someone who was trying to prevent spoilers from being posted.
Well to be fair, you can't ask people to not discuss anything lol. Accepting the risk of being spoiled comes with participating in the thread, especially considering how easy it is to assume something (even if it isn't right) based on hints.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well to be fair, you can't ask people to not discuss anything lol. Accepting the risk of being spoiled comes with participating in the thread, especially considering how easy it is to assume something (even if it isn't right) based on hints.

Agreed. It's a minefield, and so I chose to bounce as soon as the game launched.

Got it yesterday morning and my small cousins are staying at home this week so i couldnt play that much.
Still started yesterday night with the introductions and characters seem pretty crazy already lol
Btw didnt usagi have a different voice in the special mode ending of danganronpa 1.

Also i suppose is done in purpose that some of the new characters remind you to the original ones no?

BTW Usagi's theme is pretty catchy lol

Roto13

You are right on that actually, but Mikan too lol. Best girl is Chiaki. No, Ibuki. NO, Sonia! Screw it they are all best girl material.

I have to say the one I would be the happiest to see absent would be Mikan. I hate characters that get flustered every time someone says as much as their name (see: One Week Friends). Chp 3 -->
I also didn't really "get" her breakdown. Maybe it's explained later? I'm pretty late in the game though, midway through cp 6

I would be legitimately happy if Mikan disappeared from my copy of the game, but I would notice she's gone, unlike Mahiru. Mikan gets on my nerves but Mahiru is just too unremarkable for me to care about one way or another.

Is Mahiru ever characterized otherwise than "YOU'RE A MAN I'M A WOMAN" ?

She's also kind of bitchy but not quite bitchy enough to stand out like Hiyoko.
I actually forgot how rude she was after she died. I did some Island Mode stuff and socialized with her and I was like "Oh yeah, she's kind of shitty, isn't she? I forgot."

Finally got my LE today. Double dipping was definitely the right choice.

(Also, sorry if people have replied to me here and I haven't replied back. Even though this is the non-spoiler topic, I'm still trying to avoid reading anything while I'm still playing.)

Finished it this morning right before work, and reflected on it all day. Damn, what a ride.

Don't read unless you've finished:
Kind of kicking myself for being so surprised about the Despair Remnants twist, since they dropped a mention about "stories where you think you're the good guy but you're really the bad guy" a few times. Also, they got pretty dark there. Self mutilation, necrophilia? No thanks!
I was kinda iffy on whether this game was really that much better than the first, but overall it had more of a "wow" impact. I like Logic Dive and most of the changes to the trial minigames outside of Hangman's Gambit, and the last two chapters blew me away.

The only thing I'm not looking enjoying is that Monomi minigame, the controls are so floaty and weird. But I want that platinum...

Can't wait for AE and 3, although I'll have to stay away from everything DR related online when AE hits to avoid spoilers.

FluxWaveZ

I've had the Cross Sword Argument theme stuck in my head all day. Frekin soundtrack is catchy!

I do wish there were more new memorable tracks, like in the first game. That rebuttal theme is one of the few new ones that I really love, while there were just so many in DR1.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I do wish there were more new memorable tracks, like in the first game. That rebuttal theme is one of the few new ones that I really love, while there were just so many in DR1.

It's unfortunate a lot of the soundtrack was straight up lifted from the first game, but at the same time I'm really glad Distrust was used again. Would have loved a few variations on the theme.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've had the Cross Sword Argument theme stuck in my head all day. Frekin soundtrack is catchy!

AE?
I was close to avatar quoting ya for that first statement.

AE = Another Episode, that game that takes place between 1 & 2 but is more of a 3rd person shooter.

hohoXD123

Just finished Chapter 1, holy shit, this blows away any segment from the first game. I accidentally spoiled myself before starting the game, found out that
Nagito was from the same organisation as Junko and that fat Byakuya wasn't actually Byakuya
, luckily by chapter 1 these were mostly obvious anyway particularly the first one so I'm glad I didn't spoil myself too badly.

CH 5 beginning help

Trying to figure out what to do when they are talking about the reason Nagito was tortured. Not sure what to do. Might have missed something.

Shahadan

CH 5 beginning help

Trying to figure out what to do when they are talking about the reason Nagito was tortured. Not sure what to do. Might have missed something.

iirc you have to
use the Duct Tape on the word Tortured

sorry I'm not good with hints so I gave you the answer. If you're stuck where I think you are.

JNA

Banned
Spoiler this shit IMMEDIATELY. Jesus. If I hadn't just finished that case I'd be livid.

Fuck.

Serious question, but despite voicing in the game, do you still not know the outcome of the game?

Also are you given the game for free when it officially comes out or did you have to purchase your own copy? XD

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Serious question, but despite voicing in the game, do you still not know the outcome of the game?

Also are you given the game for free when it officially comes out or did you have to purchase your own copy? XD

I was wondering about that first part too. Must be an interesting way to experience the game.

Labrys

I think he said before, he just records his lines, and he's done. No context so it's a fairly fresh experience.

Who does feep play?

Togami.

JNA

Banned
I think he said before, he just records his lines, and he's done. No context so it's a fairly fresh experience.

Ah that was my first guess. I never thought developers would actually do that.

That must make it more of a challenge I think. To know how to react with certain lines without given pictures or any sort of context to them.

Labrys

That must make it more of a challenge I think. To know how to react with certain lines without given pictures or any sort of context to them.

From what limited knowledge of the industry I have, I think the script usually has the tone or what to sound in reference to. And in the first one I recall they were shown the first episode of the Anime to get a general feeling of their character.

From what limited knowledge of the industry I have, I think the script usually has the tone or what to sound in reference to. And in the first one I recall they were shown the first episode of the Anime to get a general feeling of their character.

It could also be up to the director or whoever's in charge of the recording to give inputs on how the voice actors should say the lines.

JNA

Banned

It could also be up to the director or whoever's in charge of the recording to give inputs on how the voice actors should say the lines.

I think I'm getting the idea. So is the directer basically going,

"Ok, here is a next set of lines. I want you to say these next two sentences in a condensing tone. Then after, I want you to say this line while being SHOCKED! As if somebody told you that you are father of their child!"

Steel

Banned

Yeah. Hard to believe when the voice acting is so good.

Drago

Just finished it...

id8BmdRnYZicF.gif

What a game. Gonna be a while before I can take it all in, haha

Top Bottom