• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Beat it. I'll probably post a long writeup in the spoiler thread once I'm able to collect my thoughts.

What a wonderful, emotional game this was. Hope. Despair. Everything in between.

"I was gaming so much I forgot to sleep."

Peff

This game is chock-full of anime/manga references...

CHAPTER 2 SPOILERS

When the killer is having a meltdown after the Sparkling Justice reveal one of the lines is something like "Evil must be eliminated immediately", and the Japanese voices use 悪即斬, which I believe is historical, but most likely meant to reference Rurouni Kenshin's Hajime Saito.

I can't get enough of Monomi's theme. This shit gives me energy in the morning.

Edit: included a link to brighten your day

This shit gives me energy in the morning.

004-nidai.png

Also, I think I spoiled more of this game looking for this picture. Fucking Bing image search. >_<

How many endings does this game have?

MSMrRound

I can't get enough of Monomi's theme. This shit gives me energy in the morning.

Edit: included a link to brighten your day

Luckily you can have your fill of this song while doing Island Mode, if you are planning on running it 4 times for the sake of completion.

Also, I think I spoiled more of this game looking for this picture. Fucking Bing image search. >_<

Tip: Don't ever go searching for Danganronpa 2 images/videos/wiki/Pixiv/fanart/voice actors/etc if you aren't quite done with the game. If you do that you are just asking to spoil yourself silly. There's only one ending this time round.

damnit i beat it and after the end i was thinking about
how they never said anything about who mikan's beloved was
and it took reading your post to realize
she was talking about junko

i'm not good at connecting lines

and when makoto was describing what the ultimate despairs did, you can link her as well to the person that wanted to have junko's baby or something. reading from the spoilers thread she seems to have transplanted junko's ovaries to herself.

I finally completed chapter 4's trial.

Fall, my tears. ;_;

and it happened when i raised that characters relationship 1 short of max T_T

I just finished chapter 2 and so far my reaction to this game has been mild disappointment. Neither of the cases have been particularly interesting, the Island setting is far less effective than the claustrophobic school, they've turned the trials into a chore with the new mini-games, and the pacing is nowhere near as good as it was in the first game. It doesn't help that
the first two cases have mostly involved the least interesting characters.

bigkrev

Around chapter 4, I dropped the logic difficulty, and now the game is too easy. I like that it reduces the number of truth bullets to 5, but it almost always just gives one obvious one and 4 bad choices. In addition, Hinata basically tells you the solution at the end of each Non-stop debate.

I need a middle level difficulty! It's too easy now!

bobawesome

I just finished chapter 2 and so far my reaction to this game has been mild disappointment. Neither of the cases has been particularly interesting, the Island setting is far less effective than the claustrophobic school, they've turned the trials into a chore with the new mini-games, and the pacing is nowhere near as good as it was in the first game. It doesn't help that
the first two cases have mostly involved the least interesting characters.

I'm on the 5th case right now and I agree with your complaints. I loved the first game but 2 does feel like a step back in several ways. It's a shame because I was told by so many people how improved the trial's mini games were.

General complaint, not a spoiler for the game:
Don't even get me started on all the spelling goofs. I'm usually not one to notice this sort of thing but they're riddled all over the place. It's not a huge deal but I certainly don't remember it being this bad in the first game.

JimPanzer

about to begin, which difficulty level is the one to choose this time? I played on the highest in the first iteration because people recommended it.

question about the pets..how many types of pets are there in the game?i already have
snakemi, usami, and monokuma.
which pets am i still missing?

MSMrRound

about to begin, which difficulty level is the one to choose this time? I played on the highest in the first iteration because people recommended it.

Quite a few agree that the class trials are much harder. Try going with middle to see whether it fits you and adjust subsequently.

Peff

Eh, I'm finding the mini-games more annoying/aggravating than actually hard. The Improved (LOL) Hangman's Gambit would be SO much better if you could change the letter slot instead of going in order, and Logic Dive is the dictionary definition of trying too hard. Hopefully they scale this stuff back for the third one, after all it's the debate that's truly important.

Three. One is three presents, another six and the last one is six despair icons with zero presents.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Chapter 4 free-time spoilers:
I have Sonia at 1 hope fragment left and Chiaki at 2 and neither of them will spend time with me in the Funhouse. I suspect it's because their last interactions involve visiting specific locales. The chance of them coming out of Ch4 alive is low enough to make me constantly nervous.

question about the pets..how many types of pets are there in the game?i already have
I've read in passing that it's
6 total
. Dunno how to get them, though.

MSMrRound

Vita froze, for the first time ever, today and I lost a couple of hours of progress. So much despair.

Monomi reminded players to save often in that after mid-trial scene. Should have listened to her=/

Remember to save regularly!
image.php

Exactly.

Pigmi (3~5 Hope), Gorimi (6~8 Hope), Shitmi (0 hope, 6~9 despair)

bobawesome

Eh, I'm finding the mini-games more annoying/aggravating than actually hard. The Improved (LOL) Hangman's Gambit would be SO much better if you could change the letter slot instead of going in order, and Logic Dive is the dictionary definition of trying too hard. Hopefully they scale this stuff back for the third one, after all it's the debate that's truly important.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they just axed the minigames for Danganronpa 3 and kept the nonstop debates. I wonder how serious they were when they called it the (Improved) Hangman's Gambit. It feels like a step back in every possible way.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

After 54 hours, platinum get! The game is a ride though, although for some reason I like the story more in 1 but the characters in 2 are much better.

Chapter 5 investigation music is 10/10, would rock out to while inspecting a dead body again.

Like the first game, things are getting ramped up to an insane degree.

QUOTE=bobawesome;128980799]I honestly wouldn't mind if they just axed the minigames for Danganronpa 3 and kept the nonstop debates. I wonder how serious they were when they called it the (Improved) Hangman's Gambit. It feels like a step back in every possible way.[/QUOTE]

I feel like they must be tongue-in-cheek with that "improved" bit. But they seem to take player feedback into account some so lets hope it gets better with the next game. I also liked logic dives once I got used to the controls, they're just kinda hit and miss with some of the things they changed.

If they give you the option to slap characters who interrupt trials with the most inane bs, I will be happy with DR3!

Challenge me to a word duel again. I dare you.

Oh man this game...

(Chapter 3)
Why did they have to kill Ibuki!? I really liked her character :(

I also liked Mikan, but I guess crazy was her character before getting her memory erased.

Tip: Don't ever go searching for Danganronpa 2 images/videos/wiki/Pixiv/fanart/voice actors/etc if you aren't quite done with the game. If you do that you are just asking to spoil yourself silly. There's only one ending this time round.

you would think i would've learned the first time, or the second time, or even the third time. lol.

is there a reason to play the magical game. i've played the first stage and only got 4 coins each, so it really can't be to collect monocoins, is it? also for the monocoin trophy do you have to collect the amount without spending or just over the course of the game?

everyone is off exploring a new island and i'm here running around the island raising a tomogotchi.

anyone else raising/raised the pets instead of doing the story?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I liked the other thread title. "Hope versus Dis Bear".
Fun in the Sun with Dis Bear.

everyone is off exploring a new island and i'm here running around the island raising a tomogotchi.

anyone else raising/raised the pets instead of doing the story?
Kind of. Before starting Chapter 4, I went back to Ch. 1 to get some relationships maxed out, level up more, get more skills, & raise the pet by walking to each destination. It may take a while, but considering you can earn about 150 to a whopping 300 depending on the pet, it's worth it.

Fun in the Sun with Dis Bear.

Kind of. Before starting Chapter 4, I went back to Ch. 1 to get some relationships maxed out, level up more, get more skills, & raise the pet by walking to each destination. It may take a while, but considering you can earn about 150 to a whopping 300 depending on the pet, it's worth it.

man, why didn't i think of that?! here i am just running laps when i could be maxing my skills. >_<

Chapter 2 was fucking crazy, holy shit.

the whole time i was thinking it was
fuyuhiko or hiyoko, then fuyuhiko starts getting all suspicious and then NOPE, it's peko. didn't see that coming. i really want fuyuhiko to die.

you would think i would've learned the first time, or the second time, or even the third time. lol.

is there a reason to play the magical game. i've played the first stage and only got 4 coins each, so it really can't be to collect monocoins, is it? also for the monocoin trophy do you have to collect the amount without spending or just over the course of the game?

you need to collect 999 without spending.

there are trophies related to the magical game. on the same vein, how many items does that game have for the associated trophy to pop up? i have 6 in all equipments from completing easy. are the others available only on difficulty?

Zalman

Just finished chapter 3

I'm sad Ibuki died, but I'm happy Hiyoko is gone. I really didn't like her.

I did NOT expect Mikan to be the killer. Something I've noticed in this game is that they are very good at hiding who the killer is. I feel that the first game gave it away quite often when it didn't have to.

sjay1994

Just finished chapter 3

I did NOT expect Mikan to be the killer. Something I've noticed in this game is that they are very good at hiding who the killer is. I feel that the first game gave it away quite often when it didn't have to.

Mikan was the most suspicious too me from the get go. I thought she was the one who killed Byakuya. No way someone is that over exaggeratedly pathetic.

Zalman

Mikan was the most suspicious too me from the get go. I thought she was the one who killed Byakuya. No way someone is that over exaggeratedly pathetic.
I never considered the possibility that the murder took place somewhere else. I kept thinking it was in the music room, and obviously Mikan couldn't have been there. After playing so many Ace Attorney games I should've known better. :p

sjay1994

I never considered the possibility that the murder took place somewhere else. I kept thinking it was in the music room, and obviously Mikan couldn't have been there. After playing so many Ace Attorney games I should've known better. :p

You should have known better my Bravo Brother.

Isotope

the whole time i was thinking it was
fuyuhiko or hiyoko, then fuyuhiko starts getting all suspicious and then NOPE, it's peko. didn't see that coming. i really want fuyuhiko to die.

Right around when
it was said that the killer washed off the blood, I thought it was Sonia because of her bodysuit she was wearing, thus hiding the blood from the murder. Then it hit me that Peko was still wet at the Diner, so I figured I'd accuse her as a guess. I definitely didn't see that coming, then her "becoming" the serial killer was pretty funny with the emoticons at the end of the sentences. Then it get even crazier at the end, having thought both Peko and Fuyuhiko both died. I can only imagine now Fuyuhiko will become all chummy with the other students.

Man, what a chapter that was. My goodness.

Just finished chapter 3

I thought that was really obvious from the start. By far the most dissapointing case yet.

Right around when
it was said that the killer washed off the blood, I thought it was Sonia because of her bodysuit she was wearing, thus hiding the blood from the murder. Then it hit me that Peko was still wet at the Diner, so I figured I'd accuse her as a guess. I definitely didn't see that coming, then her "becoming" the serial killer was pretty funny with the emoticons at the end of the sentences. Then it get even crazier at the end, having thought both Peko and Fuyuhiko both died. I can only imagine now Fuyuhiko will become all chummy with the other students.

Man, what a chapter that was. My goodness.

it never dawned on me that peko was wet at the diner. that totally slipped my mind. although i did at also suspect sonia at that same point.

Shahadan

I didn't expect Fuyuhiko to give me THAT item once I obtained all his hope fragments....wtf

Anyway is there a guide for the monokuma plushie? I missed only one and it's annoying me. Worst part is, the one I miss is probably in the chapter 4 building I can't go back to...was there more than two plushies there? ;(

Edit: Found a list, fuck I'm screwed....so annoying

Top Bottom